Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
GTx10
Regular
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:06 pm
Location: Beerus's Palace

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by GTx10 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:49 am

Kinokima wrote:I am sorry but it is absolutely ridiculous if the UK gets subbed screenings but we don’t in the US. People who want to see the subbed version really need to complain about this to Funimation and Toei. There is absolutely no good reason not to show the subbed version here in the US.

Not to mention I can’t even buy tickets here yet. There are only 2 theaters up & neither are even remotely close to me (I am talking like more than an hr away) And it’s not like I live in a small town, I live in Philadelphia. I know they said they will add more theaters but when? I was able to buy tickets to MHA way earlier than this.

Really at this point I am extremely disappointed at how Toei NA & Funimation are handling this.
I'm sorry but what Language do most Westerns speak? Why English of course! Funimation is trying to make bank so they will dub it as to cater to fans and casuals. That makes sense.
People go to the theatre to watch a film not to read a film. Get the novel if you want to read it. You want to hear the JPN's acting you say? A home release is sure to come. Do you see where I'm going with this?
Think like a Corporation trying to make money instead of a JPN Dub fan who wants to hear "Osu! Ora Son Goku!' And you'll release a Sub release in the US is not needed. Neat at best, unnecessary at best.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1327
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Kinokima » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:02 pm

GTx10 wrote:
Kinokima wrote:I am sorry but it is absolutely ridiculous if the UK gets subbed screenings but we don’t in the US. People who want to see the subbed version really need to complain about this to Funimation and Toei. There is absolutely no good reason not to show the subbed version here in the US.

Not to mention I can’t even buy tickets here yet. There are only 2 theaters up & neither are even remotely close to me (I am talking like more than an hr away) And it’s not like I live in a small town, I live in Philadelphia. I know they said they will add more theaters but when? I was able to buy tickets to MHA way earlier than this.

Really at this point I am extremely disappointed at how Toei NA & Funimation are handling this.
I'm sorry but what Language do most Westerns speak? Why English of course! Funimation is trying to make bank so they will dub it as to cater to fans and casuals. That makes sense.
People go to the theatre to watch a film not to read a film. Get the novel if you want to read it. You want to hear the JPN's acting you say? A home release is sure to come. Do you see where I'm going with this?
Think like a Corporation trying to make money instead of a JPN Dub fan who wants to hear "Osu! Ora Son Goku!' And you'll release a Sub release in the US is not needed. Neat at best, unnecessary at best.
Ok I am so sick of this argument. Last time I checked most people speak English in the UK too. So why can they get the subbed release?


Every other anime film released in the US is shown subbed AND dubbed. No one is saying the film should only be released subbed. It’s about having choices. God forbid I say I want to see the subbed version in theaters too and I get dub only fans saying we don’t go to movies to read subtitles. Well I am sorry that you can’t read subtitles but after watching foreign films all my life including anime I have no problem watching a film and reading subs.


And these days most fans watched the Japanese version of Super streaming well before the dub version. There is nothing wrong with the dub but there is no good reason why we can’t have both!

User avatar
Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:54 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Artorias » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:11 pm

BrolySSJL wrote:
RedHeat wrote:
BrolySSJL wrote:The new poster looks like a bad fan art...
how can someone be so wrong
Really this face it's not like a mediocre fan art?

Image


LMAO it looks drawn by a child.

Compare to this, for example:

Image
This is animation/art 101. Something being simpler in design doesn't mean it's "worse". It's a different style. Get ready for me to blow your mind, but A LOT of people prefer the real poster over that fanart you posted. People don't have the same tastes with artwork. Crazy, right?

When you say it looks like it's "drawn by a child", there are tons of people including myself that literally have no idea what you're talking about. So stop speaking so matter-of-fact with opinions on artwork.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2604
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:25 pm

Regarding Gogeta’s new look, I’m kind of disappointed that his widow’s peak is less prominent now. He looks too much like Gohan now.

User avatar
RedHeat
Regular
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by RedHeat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:41 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Regarding Gogeta’s new look, I’m kind of disappointed that his widow’s peak is less prominent now. He looks too much like Gohan now.
at least he doesn't look like he's balding at a young age anymore
Feels over Reals.

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Forte224 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:08 pm

GTx10 wrote:
Kinokima wrote:I am sorry but it is absolutely ridiculous if the UK gets subbed screenings but we don’t in the US. People who want to see the subbed version really need to complain about this to Funimation and Toei. There is absolutely no good reason not to show the subbed version here in the US.

Not to mention I can’t even buy tickets here yet. There are only 2 theaters up & neither are even remotely close to me (I am talking like more than an hr away) And it’s not like I live in a small town, I live in Philadelphia. I know they said they will add more theaters but when? I was able to buy tickets to MHA way earlier than this.

Really at this point I am extremely disappointed at how Toei NA & Funimation are handling this.
I'm sorry but what Language do most Westerns speak? Why English of course! Funimation is trying to make bank so they will dub it as to cater to fans and casuals. That makes sense.
People go to the theatre to watch a film not to read a film. Get the novel if you want to read it. You want to hear the JPN's acting you say? A home release is sure to come. Do you see where I'm going with this?
Think like a Corporation trying to make money instead of a JPN Dub fan who wants to hear "Osu! Ora Son Goku!' And you'll release a Sub release in the US is not needed. Neat at best, unnecessary at best.
EVERY other anime release by FUNimation in theaters has dub AND sub screenings. Every. Single. One. Stop with this argument, I'm sick of it.

User avatar
Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 760
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:26 pm

GTx10 wrote:
Kinokima wrote:I am sorry but it is absolutely ridiculous if the UK gets subbed screenings but we don’t in the US. People who want to see the subbed version really need to complain about this to Funimation and Toei. There is absolutely no good reason not to show the subbed version here in the US.

Not to mention I can’t even buy tickets here yet. There are only 2 theaters up & neither are even remotely close to me (I am talking like more than an hr away) And it’s not like I live in a small town, I live in Philadelphia. I know they said they will add more theaters but when? I was able to buy tickets to MHA way earlier than this.

Really at this point I am extremely disappointed at how Toei NA & Funimation are handling this.
I'm sorry but what Language do most Westerns speak? Why English of course! Funimation is trying to make bank so they will dub it as to cater to fans and casuals. That makes sense.
People go to the theatre to watch a film not to read a film. Get the novel if you want to read it. You want to hear the JPN's acting you say? A home release is sure to come. Do you see where I'm going with this?
Think like a Corporation trying to make money instead of a JPN Dub fan who wants to hear "Osu! Ora Son Goku!' And you'll release a Sub release in the US is not needed. Neat at best, unnecessary at best.

If you take westernes as a broader sense then sorry to burst your bubble but Spanish should be the first language way before English and French.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

User avatar
YamiGoku
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:01 pm

I like this one better:


edit: Broly looks wierd.

User avatar
prince212
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 790
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: wild west

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by prince212 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:10 pm

Kinokima wrote:
Every other anime film released in the US is shown subbed AND dubbed. No one is saying the film should only be released subbed. It’s about having choices. God forbid I say I want to see the subbed version in theaters too and I get dub only fans saying we don’t go to movies to read subtitles. Well I am sorry that you can’t read subtitles but after watching foreign films all my life including anime I have no problem watching a film and reading subs.


And these days most fans watched the Japanese version of Super streaming well before the dub version. There is nothing wrong with the dub but there is no good reason why we can’t have both!
:clap:
Personally I don’t have any interest in watching dub version . Hopefully a sub version will be available somehow even before the movie is in u.s theatres .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

User avatar
Rakurai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Rakurai » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:44 pm

My gosh. Did Funimation really use the word "canon" to justify something about Gogeta here? What in the actual fuck.

Whoever runs Funimation PR is a brainless tool for the cancerous part of the fandom.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1310
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:46 pm

Rakurai wrote:As someone else pointed out, Gotenks' fusion jacket is blue instead of black like Gogeta's. Consistency isn't even something he tried to save here.
Actually, Toriyama has colored it black multiple times. So he is being consistent with his work.
Rakurai wrote:If he isn't bound to their interpretation, then he should've come up with a more significantly different design for Gogeta
Why? Because you want it? That's not how it works. He shouldn't do what you want because you want it. He should do that he wants because it's his views of the character that are being represented. You, as part of the audience, don't get to dictate what the artist should or shouldn't do.

User avatar
Rakurai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Rakurai » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:06 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Rakurai wrote:As someone else pointed out, Gotenks' fusion jacket is blue instead of black like Gogeta's. Consistency isn't even something he tried to save here.
Actually, Toriyama has colored it black multiple times. So he is being consistent with his work.
Rakurai wrote:If he isn't bound to their interpretation, then he should've come up with a more significantly different design for Gogeta
Why? Because you want it? That's not how it works. He shouldn't do what you want because you want it. He should do that he wants because it's his views of the character that are being represented. You, as part of the audience, don't get to dictate what the artist should or shouldn't do.
"Multiple times?" He only did it once as far as I've checked, but that was even with Gogeta's colors.

https://twitter.com/dbartandtidbits/sta ... 1483549696

Examples of Toriyama official colors of Gotenks' jacket are here:

Image

Image

and they're not even black.

You don't get it. I'm not trying to say what he should do. I'm pointing out the fact that this Gogeta recolor is absolutely pointless and unnecessary because if it does represent his "view" of the character, then it makes zero sense to have changed it in the first place.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

User avatar
FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5342
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:09 pm

Rakurai wrote:My gosh. Did Funimation really use the word "canon" to justify something about Gogeta here? What in the actual fuck.

Whoever runs Funimation PR is a brainless tool for the cancerous part of the fandom.
It's not only Funimation. Bandai Namco US can be something else too.
They just acknowledged No Nut November. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

User avatar
GodVegetto91
I Live Here
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:11 pm

Rakurai wrote:My gosh. Did Funimation really use the word "canon" to justify something about Gogeta here? What in the actual fuck.

Whoever runs Funimation PR is a brainless tool for the cancerous part of the fandom.
What’s wrong with that? Canon simply means something that is created by it’s original author. Gogeta in this case has been re-written and re-designed by Toriyama himself. Therefore, by the power of the dictionary, Gogeta is “Canon”. Wether you, or Toriyama, likes to use that word or not. Also, your last sentence is not within the spirit of Kanzenshuu.
“The fool looks to God outside him. The wise understands that God is within him.”

User avatar
Neo-Makaiōshin
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:23 pm

Rakurai wrote:If he isn't bound to their interpretation, then he should've come up with a more significantly different design for Gogeta
Toriyama's interpretation of Gogeta could be more than just his visual design, like his personality, case in point:

DBZ Movie 12 Gogeta

vs

DBS movie Gogeta

While the second video doesn't show a lot, just by looking at the first second of the second video you can see that Super!Gogeta has a different demeanor than DBZM12!Gogeta.
Lore is NOT story, and it never was, and you should stop spreading this nonsense.
Content is NOT substance.
Bunch of characters doing stuff do NOT make an esemble cast.
Secondary characters are secondary, they do NOT deserve or are entitled to having more screen time.
Fandom Lacks Critical Thinking and is Easily Impressionable with Surface Level Content.

User avatar
fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5137
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 pm
Location: New York

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:24 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Rakurai wrote:My gosh. Did Funimation really use the word "canon" to justify something about Gogeta here? What in the actual fuck.

Whoever runs Funimation PR is a brainless tool for the cancerous part of the fandom.
What’s wrong with that? Canon simply means something that is created by it’s original author. Gogeta in this case has been re-written and re-designed by Toriyama himself. Therefore, by the power of the dictionary, Gogeta is “Canon”. Wether you, or Toriyama, likes to use that word or not. Also, your last sentence is not within the spirit of Kanzenshuu.
By this logic, almost no western comic is canon within its continuity.

Anything official within the franchise can be considered canon until Toriyama, Toei, or Shueisha come out and directly state that such and such is the true canon. That's how I see it, anyways.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

User avatar
Miracles
I Live Here
Posts: 3031
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Miracles » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:42 pm

The nitpicking over Gogeta's different jacket color from his movie 12 days is minute as Bardock not having his headband.
Toriyama is the boss. It's his series, if he wants characters that's under his flag that he didn't create to appeal more to his style in his story that's an authority card being pulled.

I understand the fans feelings for Bardocks emotion behind the headband in the TOEI original [ Done under Toriyama/Shueisha authority/rights] but Dragonball is not theirs.
So if Toriyama wants to take TOEI's created Bardock [Under DB's name] and put him in a story that is in line with Dragonball's world [Minus] then so be it, Toriyama has that right cause it's his story.
It's no different with Gogeta's jacket and Broly's image. Toriyama himself stated he would do somethings with Broly's character. He even looks slightly different from TOEI's Broly. So he can do the same with Gogeta.
Last edited by Miracles on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6142
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:42 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Therefore, by the power of the dictionary, Gogeta is “Canon”. Wether you, or Toriyama, likes to use that word or not.
What!? So it does not matter what Toriyama thinks, there is a canon because you, GodVegetto91 from an American forum, want the franchise to have? :crazy:

User avatar
Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 760
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:48 pm

I'm amazed at that world building freaking Scout-Scopes that's awesome.

Link here:
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1068914845360115713
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1310
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Rakurai wrote:"Multiple times?" He only did it once as far as I've checked, but that was even with Gogeta's colors.
Image

You can check the Chōgashū for more. In any case, it's beside the point. Wether he drew it once, various times or never, it still his prerrogative on how he wants to design and color his character, for his story, on the fictional universe he created.

Wether's he's 1%, 10%, 100% similar to the design of Toei's iteration or something completely different, it's his decision. And the reason is how he views the character. To imply that there's no reason is nonsensical. Movie 13, what's in it and how it's designed is not part of the process for how he sees his stuff.

Post Reply