Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

YonedgeHP
Regular

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by YonedgeHP » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:48 am

Bergamo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Toxin45 wrote: Nope dude your just making stuff up.
Or you just need to do your homework.
Nothing i said is wrong. On top of that, there was a Tuffle in the T.o.P of DBS. DBS is written by Toriyama. There is no info that can go against what i’ve said. I do my research.
The Tuffle is possibly anime exclusive. The Yardrat in the anime was based on a non-canon filler episode, so in the manga his race was never mentioned and he never used instant transmission. This means for all intents and purposes he's not a Yardrat in the manga.
That's not how it works, characters' races don't vary according to its different medium. Also, the Tsufruian appears in the manga too.
PFM18 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:Honestly, what if this movie is just called The Dragon Ball Super Movie?
Then oh well. It wouldn't be a big deal but it would kind of indicate that this could be the only DBS movie which would be quite disappointing.
The name of the first Dragon Ball Z movie was just "Dragon Ball Z".
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:05 am

YonedgeHP wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Or you just need to do your homework.
Nothing i said is wrong. On top of that, there was a Tuffle in the T.o.P of DBS. DBS is written by Toriyama. There is no info that can go against what i’ve said. I do my research.
The Tuffle is possibly anime exclusive. The Yardrat in the anime was based on a non-canon filler episode, so in the manga his race was never mentioned and he never used instant transmission. This means for all intents and purposes he's not a Yardrat in the manga.
That's not how it works, characters' races don't vary according to its different medium. Also, the Tsufruian appears in the manga too.
PFM18 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:Honestly, what if this movie is just called The Dragon Ball Super Movie?
Then oh well. It wouldn't be a big deal but it would kind of indicate that this could be the only DBS movie which would be quite disappointing.
I'm saying it's never been mentioned that Jimeze is a Yardrat and we've never seen a Yardrat in the manga, so as far as I know he isn't one. If there are major narrative changes in the manga, why can't a side character's race be changed, especially if it conflicts with continuity.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:39 am

sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:I wouldn't count on a new anime after DBS. It would be nice but I wouldn't count on it.
DB is currently too big for an anime to not be airing, especially with Toriyama wanting to continue working on the franchise. The question is whether it'll be Super continuing or a new anime taking its place.
The next anime be most likely Dragon Ball Super continued. The Dragon Ball Super brand name is worth its weight in gold in Japan right now.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:47 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:I wouldn't count on a new anime after DBS. It would be nice but I wouldn't count on it.
DB is currently too big for an anime to not be airing, especially with Toriyama wanting to continue working on the franchise. The question is whether it'll be Super continuing or a new anime taking its place.
The next anime be most likely Dragon Ball Super continued. The Dragon Ball Super brand name is worth its weight in gold in Japan right now.
I might have interpreted it wrong, but from the latest interview I kinda got the feeling like they'd want to stick to the movie format from now on.

Quote:
... We can’t very well have Dragon Ball, which has continued up to now thanks to my predecessors, end with Dragon Ball Super. Everyone involved on the staff was in agreement in wanting to continue the movies in order to keep the connection to Dragon Ball from here on out.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:57 am

Bergamo wrote:
YonedgeHP wrote:
Bergamo wrote: The Tuffle is possibly anime exclusive. The Yardrat in the anime was based on a non-canon filler episode, so in the manga his race was never mentioned and he never used instant transmission. This means for all intents and purposes he's not a Yardrat in the manga.
PFM18 wrote:
I'm saying it's never been mentioned that Jimeze is a Yardrat and we've never seen a Yardrat in the manga, so as far as I know he isn't one. If there are major narrative changes in the manga, why can't a side character's race be changed, especially if it conflicts with continuity.
In this case, you are supposed to put two and two together. One medium (the manga) mentions a race but doesn’t show it. Another version of that medium (the anime) with the same amount of importance mentions and shows the race. That would logically fill in the blanks for the manga which doesn’t show the race unless there is something that would contradict how the race looks in the anime but there isn’t. Otherwise, there would be no reason for the race to differ between mediums.

And the Tuffles’ story was specifically written by Toriyama.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:58 am

Michsi wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
sintzu wrote:
I might have interpreted it wrong, but from the latest interview I kinda got the feeling like they'd want to stick to the movie format from now on.

Quote:
... We can’t very well have Dragon Ball, which has continued up to now thanks to my predecessors, end with Dragon Ball Super. Everyone involved on the staff was in agreement in wanting to continue the movies in order to keep the connection to Dragon Ball from here on out.
Can you link me to that interview where u got the quote?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:03 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:Can you link me to that interview where u got the quote?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... interview/
Michsi wrote:I might have interpreted it wrong, but from the latest interview I kinda got the feeling like they'd want to stick to the movie format from now on.
Despite that probably being the preferred thing for them, the movies take too long to make (We'll have waited nearly 4 years by the time Super's movie comes out) which will eventually kill the hype train DB's riding currently as huge gaps of time will go by without new content. If Super didn't happen we'd just be getting the Champa arc in this movie. :lol:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:31 am

sintzu wrote:
Michsi wrote:I might have interpreted it wrong, but from the latest interview I kinda got the feeling like they'd want to stick to the movie format from now on.
Despite that probably being the preferred thing for them, the movies take too long to make (We'll have waited nearly 4 years by the time Super's movie comes out) which will eventually kill the hype train DB's riding currently as huge gaps of time will go by without new content. If Super didn't happen we'd just be getting the Champa arc in this movie. :lol:
Since this film's script was done over a year ago now, they have probably decided already what is coming next and I would guess another Movie.

They will bring back a series when Dragon Ball needs a big push to bring back the numbers that they are getting recently.

I want a series as more characters will get focus and screen time and I think this is needed for new characters.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:54 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Since this film's script was done over a year ago now, they have probably decided already what is coming next and I would guess another Movie.

They will bring back a series when Dragon Ball needs a big push to bring back the numbers that they are getting recently.

I want a series as more characters will get focus and screen time and I think this is needed for new characters.
Anything after this movie should probably be after the End of Z. Bulma said its been 5 years since she’s seen Goku and they’ve already gone over that limit. Unless they’re gonna retcon the End of Z, they can’t squeeze anymore content into the time gap.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:56 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Anything after this movie should probably be after the End of Z. Bulma said its been 5 years since she’s seen Goku and they’ve already gone over that limit. Unless they’re gonna retcon the End of Z, they can’t squeeze anymore content into the time gap.
Toriyama changed EOZ for the Kanzenban so he could do it again to take the current events into account once we get there.

Nafno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nafno » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:00 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Anything after this movie should probably be after the End of Z. Bulma said its been 5 years since she’s seen Goku and they’ve already gone over that limit. Unless they’re gonna retcon the End of Z, they can’t squeeze anymore content into the time gap.
Or that line would end up being a mistake and that's all.

I mean, at the end of Cell's arc, there's a part where the narrator says something like "And Trunks live happily ever after in the future". Yes, before having his timeline completely destroyed.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:28 am

sintzu wrote:
I think it only took so long because they had their hands full with Super, but if they no longer intend to make a series, they could focus on yearly movies from now on. It's not ideal, but given the problems they had with an long-running series I could see it happen.

It's the "everyone on the staff agreed-" part pf that quote that made me think maybe the team was just fed up with the production issues and preferred a well planned movie over a rushed series.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:37 am

Michsi wrote:I think it only took so long because they had their hands full with Super, but if they no longer intend to make a series, they could focus on yearly movies from now on. It's not ideal, but given the problems they had with an long-running series I could see it happen.
The problem with movies is that they have other movies and shows they're working on. Chances are their next big movie will be One Piece so we'll have to wait at least a year after that for a new DB movie which is too long for everyone involved, including Toriyama. They probably want to get the most out of him so waiting that long between stories is going to limit everyone's creativity as things will take too long to move and Toriyama's not getting any younger.

Super's issues happened because it was rushed into production. Back in March everyone including Toriyama kept saying Super's over for now so they won't run into most of those issues as they already know ahead of time that they'll be working on a series. Also keep in mind that its replacement is an anniversary show so once it's over they'll need something to take its place. It's also worth noting that the companies involved have been making way more than they expected thanks to an ongoing anime so you can be sure that they're doing everything in their power to get one back on the air as fast as possible.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:18 pm

Nafno wrote:

I mean, at the end of Cell's arc, there's a part where the narrator says something like "And Trunks live happily ever after in the future". Yes, before having his timeline completely destroyed.
Right, we don't even no if EoZ is still happening exactly the same way, it can very easily be retconned or altered. I've erased EoZ out my head when it comes to modern DB.

In the Freeza arc for example it was more or less established via unreliable narration of Freeza why Vegeta couldn't go SS but next arc he shows up with it like that. Characters saying things doesn't matter.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:03 pm

sintzu wrote:
Michsi wrote:I think it only took so long because they had their hands full with Super, but if they no longer intend to make a series, they could focus on yearly movies from now on. It's not ideal, but given the problems they had with an long-running series I could see it happen.
The problem with movies is that they have other movies and shows they're working on. Chances are their next big movie will be One Piece so we'll have to wait at least a year after that for a new DB movie which is too long for everyone involved, including Toriyama. They probably want to get the most out of him so waiting that long between stories is going to limit everyone's creativity as things will take too long to move and Toriyama's not getting any younger.

Super's issues happened because it was rushed into production. Back in March everyone including Toriyama kept saying Super's over for now so they won't run into most of those issues as they already know ahead of time that they'll be working on a series. Also keep in mind that its replacement is an anniversary show so once it's over they'll need something to take its place. It's also worth noting that the companies involved have been making way more than they expected thanks to an ongoing anime so you can be sure that they're doing everything in their power to get one back on the air as fast as possible.
I think they would have prefered to have Super on air while they made the new movie but because of production problems they can't do that. I think that once they have a chance, they will have a new show or have Super come back.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:25 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
YonedgeHP wrote: That's not how it works, characters' races don't vary according to its different medium. Also, the Tsufruian appears in the manga too.

In this case, you are supposed to put two and two together. One medium (the manga) mentions a race but doesn’t show it. Another version of that medium (the anime) with the same amount of importance mentions and shows the race. That would logically fill in the blanks for the manga which doesn’t show the race unless there is something that would contradict how the race looks in the anime but there isn’t. Otherwise, there would be no reason for the race to differ between mediums.

And the Tuffles’ story was specifically written by Toriyama.
You have given no legitimate reason for why a race cannot change. Should we assume that Vegeta in the anime can use SSG because he used it in the manga?
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:29 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Nafno wrote:

Right, we don't even no if EoZ is still happening exactly the same way, it can very easily be retconned or altered. I've erased EoZ out my head when it comes to modern DB.

In the Freeza arc for example it was more or less established via unreliable narration of Freeza why Vegeta couldn't go SS but next arc he shows up with it like that. Characters saying things doesn't matter.
wait how was it established that he can't go SSJ?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:38 pm

I think the movie is a manner to keep the hype going whilst giving themselves time to re-organize. If they would give no content untill next year July or October when the series probably resume, they could lose some crucial attention. Maybe not within the hardcore fans but they could loose the attention of a new found crowd. I don't believe this is going to become an all-movie formula. The level of promotion the series give to boost sales is far greater than a once-in a-year or even once-in a-two-formula. I basically think Super is simply going to return to its usual block straight after Kitaro.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:49 pm

Bergamo wrote:You have given no legitimate reason for why a race cannot change. Should we assume that Vegeta in the anime can use SSG because he used it in the manga?
His clothes are the same.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:54 pm

Bergamo wrote:Should we assume that Vegeta in the anime can use SSG because he used it in the manga?
No, we should take it as a fact. Vegeta does have Super Saiyan God in the anime continuity as well (otherwise he wouldn't be able to achieve Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan), just because Toei didn't show him using it doesn't mean he doesn't have it. The same goes for Goku Black's Super Saiyan, in the anime continuity he has it too, otherwise he wouldn't be able to achieve Super Saiyan Rosé.

As for the race change, its appearance can change if the author feels like it when/if he decides to use such race. The Yadorats have different appearance in Dragon Ball Online because they came from Toriyama himself, it differs from Toei's Yadorats. The reason why the Yadorat in the Universe 2 team (?) wears clothes similar to Yadorats seen in the anime is probably because he was added there by Toei? I don't remember if there was an information stating that he Toriyama designed him, but probably there isn't. Oh, and obviously, that Yadorat should have come from Universe 6, their appearance may be slightly different because of this too.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~