Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DisapprovingOwl
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by DisapprovingOwl » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:12 am

Can't believe nobody seems to have commented on base-form Broly's different clothing yet - it seems like he's wearing the tattered remains of a blue Freeza Force jumpsuit of the style Vegeta wore in the Saiyan/Namek arcs (EDIT: Actually, looking again the boots are more like his Cell arc era outfit...). So I'm guessing in this version Broly's association with the Freeza Force goes back some way, which gives us a small hint towards an element of his revised backstory - presumably he was already part of the Freeza Force back at some point in the past? If so, this would probably put paid to the idea that he might be an "ancient Saiyan" in this version.

One of the teaser images shown earlier in the thread seemed to show him frozen in ice (the same image which showed the silhouette of his tail, which seems to be absent on more recent imagery) - I wouldn't be surprised if he was actively serving Freeza at one point in the past until something happened which resulted in him getting frozen, and the events of the film result in him being thawed out and reawakened.

Given that in Broly's other two designs he seems to have upgraded to the new-style armour and purple leggings in the style of the outfits worn by Freeza's three new henchmen, he'll almost certainly be actively working with Freeza for at least a portion of the main events of the film, too.
Last edited by DisapprovingOwl on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:18 am

I know we see Broly's Legendary form with no armor but I wonder if the black hair, yellow eyed form is actually he strongest form that puts him at blue level.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:40 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:Is no one gonna ask where the tail went?
Probably wrapped around his waist.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:42 am

Really like the new design myself. Form wise we have...

Base, Golden Eyes, Super Saiyan and Legendary Super Saiyan based on the reveals.

Also I just realised what those purple trousers remind me of...

NormalHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NormalHero » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:07 am

he appears to has two different pair of pants and boots, so this is my theory:
Broly land on earth, *insert character name* (probably vegeta or trunks), find him and help him.
The Brief family give to broly new pants and boots.
He is a quite man (probably he partially lost memories) but at some point broly meet goku and for some reason he turn crazy like the broly that we already know.
They start to fight, when things get bad freeza arrives (probably he had already seen the saiyan pod from space).

maybe they defeat broly and he turns an ally .
maybe someone dies (freeza?).
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

insert a possible gogeta during the fight.. :wave:

ok time to stop to be ironic :mrgreen: i love the new design (finally some massive muscle showed!!), i can't wait for the trailer!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:13 am

Jean0987654321 wrote:Yeah, this is a huge letdown. All that hype and we find out that FUCKING BROLY becomes canon and returns to our sets
Talk about huge letdown. Even though the last experience I had with Dragon Ball movie was not good at all, when they announced this one I allowed myself to give a chance and get "hyped"... Only to find out that this movie will once again make the same mistake as the previous movie. :(

The bright part is that this movie is not the only thing Dragon Ball is producing nowadays, otherwise I would be even more sad and pissed off.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:21 am

What day is the trailer dropping, the 18th or 19th ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:26 am

sintzu wrote:What day is the trailer dropping, the 18th or 19th ?
19th

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:29 am

With the full reveal of the December U.S movie line now, it is looking increasingly likely no UI or fusions, in a few weeks we'll get even better idea (when the WCFs and IBK get revealed), with September being the final check (next Prize Fair in Japan is in September and will show off figures from Jan to March if UI and or fusions are in the movie they won't be shown and we can offset that against the jump calendar solicitations).
miguelnuva1 wrote:I know we see Broly's Legendary form with no armor but I wonder if the black hair, yellow eyed form is actually he strongest form that puts him at blue level.
That is what I am thinking too as it doesn't make sense for them to not release a figure of Broly in December that isn't his strongest form... Plus it doesn't make sense to pair him like that with a battle damaged Goku...
But of course always the chance it could be his controlled SS form.
BlueBasilisk wrote:
sintzu wrote:What day is the trailer dropping, the 18th or 19th ?
19th
My day off from work! Should make a whole day out of celebrating this long awaited trailer lol.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:32 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:With the full reveal of the December U.S movie line now, it is looking increasingly likely no UI or fusions, in a few weeks we'll get even better idea (when the WCFs and IBK get revealed), with September being the final check (next Prize Fair in Japan is in September and will show off figures from Jan to March if UI and or fusions are in the movie they won't be shown and we can offset that against the jump calendar solicitations).
SsjB Goku and Vegeta weren't shown at all until they got leaked a few hours before RF was screened in Japan so not seeing Gogeta and UI Goku doesn't mean they (or one of them) isn't in the movie.
Last edited by sintzu on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:33 am

Grimlock wrote:
Jean0987654321 wrote:Yeah, this is a huge letdown. All that hype and we find out that FUCKING BROLY becomes canon and returns to our sets
Talk about huge letdown. Even though the last experience I had with Dragon Ball movie was not good at all, when they announced this one I allowed myself to give a chance and get "hyped"... Only to find out that this movie will once again make the same mistake as the previous movie. :(

The bright part is that this movie is not the only thing Dragon Ball is producing nowadays, otherwise I would be even more sad and pissed off.
It’s not my place but you guys should really learn not to judge a book by its cover. DBS is the king of bad ideas with good execution. If you want to miss out on one of the or if not THE biggest DB event of all time and miss out on the greatest looking DB project of all time and instead go fall back on watching stuff like the SDBH anime then suit yourself.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:35 am

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:With the full reveal of the December U.S movie line now, it is looking increasingly likely no UI or fusions, in a few weeks we'll get even better idea (when the WCFs and IBK get revealed), with September being the final check (next Prize Fair in Japan is in September and will show off figures from Jan to March if UI and or fusions are in the movie they won't be shown and we can offset that against the jump calendar solicitations).
SsjB Goku and Vegeta weren't shown at all until they got leaked a few hours before RF was screened in Japan so not seeing Gogeta and UI Goku doesn't mean they (or one of them) isn't in the movie.
Actually, I'm pretty sure Dragon Ball Heroes spoiled those forms.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:35 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:It’s not my place but you guys should really learn not to judge a book by its cover. DBS is the king of bad ideas with good execution. If you want to miss out on one of the or if not THE biggest DB event of all time and miss out on the greatest looking DB project of all time and instead go fall back on watching stuff like the SDBH anime then suit yourself.
I've lost count on how many times we got upset over something when it was announced only for it to be amazing so fans should just wait and see instead of being upset the whole time and missing out on the joy of anticipating and speculating things up till the movie's release.
AnimeNation101 wrote: Actually, I'm pretty sure Dragon Ball Heroes spoiled those forms.
They were leaked through key chains. :lol:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:39 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:DBS is the king of bad ideas with good execution.
No, Movie 15 and its retellings are not well executed, this part doesn't have anything good at all actually.
AnimeNation101 wrote:If you want to miss out on one of the or if not THE biggest DB event of all time and miss out on the greatest looking DB project of all time and instead go fall back on watching stuff like the SDBH anime then suit yourself.
"one of the or if not THE biggest DB event of all time and miss out on the greatest looking DB project of all time" - this could be the case if the movie actually delivers a good plot, with information, explaining stuff, giving character development and screentime for certain characters... If this movie somehow manages to do that, then it probably would be the "biggest thing ever".

But so far, yeah, watching "stuff like" Heroes anime is better no doubt about it.
Last edited by Grimlock on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Arg
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arg » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:40 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: DBS is the king of bad ideas with good execution.
You sure about that? It could easily be vice versa; tournament of power, black arc if it was not rushed at the end...

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:45 am

Freeza's case was worse though because he had already come back several times before.. Hell the very first time was right after his defeat on Namek.. He came back upgraded and was swiftly taken down by the new guy. He also came back in Filler, and GT. He even had a movie where his "brother" tried to Avenge him!

That's 4 different scenarios where Freeza tried to get "Revenge" on Goku, and that's before Revival of F and The Tournament of Power.

Broli's case is different, he never had a hand that was supposed to tie in with the orginial story (unless you wanna count the "Tale of the Legendary Super Saiyan"). So this is Toriyama's opprotunity to shake things up a bit give his take on a popular character and tie him in.

Did I wake up everyday wanting Broly to be "canon" no, but i'm optimistic about this movie.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:49 am

sintzu wrote:
Except the SSGSS Goku and Vegeta figures were solicited many months in advance but weren't formally revealed until SSGSS was (instead they showed off the Piccolo and Gohan figures at these fairs months before the movie), right now all 4 four regular prize figures for this movie in December have been solicited and now have been revealed... in a few weeks December figure catalogues will be sent out by the chance something wasn't solicited it will be in the catalogues, since Banpresto have to get their case orders in to know how many to produce, so if by chance there something spoiler-y it will be blanked (however if the spoiler is referring to Goku or Vegeta then it'd be blanked but still labelled as "Son Goku" or "Vegeta", which is what gave Goku having a different look to UI than "Omen" away).

So like I said right now it is looking unlikely, in a few weeks we'll get a better idea and in September we'll more or less know.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:50 am

Grimlock wrote:But so far, yeah, watching "stuff like" Heroes anime is better no doubt about it.
You're comparing a low budget promotional anime to what might be one of the biggest anime movies ? with out even seeing a trailer ? it seems to me that you want to hate this no matter what it does.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So like I said right now it is looking unlikely, in a few weeks we'll get a better idea and in September we'll more or less know.
In that case then maybe Goku and Vegeta will finally work together like Whis told them to. What about Kaioken Blue evolution Blue, do they have to have listings to show up in the movie ?

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:56 am

Lord Frieza wrote:Really like the new design myself. Form wise we have...

Base, Golden Eyes, Super Saiyan and Legendary Super Saiyan based on the reveals.

Also I just realised what those purple trousers remind me of...
Broly was always for me the Hulk of Dragon Ball tbh ^^
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:21 am

Champa The Destroyer wrote:In addition, would Broly's form be called SS Berserk or Legendary SS?
Legendary. Berserk was just a fan-name.

What's more, "Super Saiyan Berserk" now describes something completely different.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.