Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:15 pm

To try and get away from Gogeta for a bit, I'm wondering just how the movie will set up the next line of stories in DBS.

It's clear that we'll probably get a follow-up at some point, whether it be in anime or movie format.

What kind of story implications will this new and never-before-seen Saiyan named Broly have on the greater DB multiverse?

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:48 pm

If he doesn't die I want him to meet kale. It'd be so dumb but I'd love it.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:50 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Vados_chan wrote: >Fusion Reborn being shown in cinemas
>Gogeta and Broly getting new DLC characters in X2
>Goku can't use UI at will

Gogeta is happening so suck it up, or keep living in denial it's quite funny
:lol:

Showing Gogeta in theaters and having a new Gogeta/Broly character in a game means the movie will have fusion in it?

Ok... :lol:
https://old.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/9 ... ng_in_the/
Read all this evidence plus the XV2 datamine. If you still think all this is a coincidence or aren’t clues then you’re in denial.

Hell, if the XV2 datamine isn’t a clue at all, explain why they are adding a new Broly and Gogeta character of all the missing characters they could add in the next pack.
A new Broly character is naturally for his movie version. Gogeta should be able to go blue in the game alone since Goku and Vegeta in the game have their blue forms I assume?

Games and theater showings in america aren't evidence but just isolated events of the franchise and are bridged by assumptions of the fandom that it has a bearing on the movie plot cause of "around the same time releases."

And lololol at Gogeta having a bigger chance than UI showing up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:58 pm

Miracles wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Miracles wrote: :lol:

Showing Gogeta in theaters and having a new Gogeta/Broly character in a game means the movie will have fusion in it?

Read all this evidence plus the XV2 datamine. If you still think all this is a coincidence or aren’t clues then you’re in denial.

Hell, if the XV2 datamine isn’t a clue at all, explain why they are adding a new Broly and Gogeta character of all the missing characters they could add in the next pack.
A new Broly character is naturally for his movie version. Gogeta should be able to go blue in the game alone since Goku and Vegeta in the game have their blue forms I assume?

Games and theater showings in america aren't evidence but just isolated events of the franchise and are bridged by assumptions of the fandom that it has a bearing on the movie plot cause of "around the same time releases."

And lololol at Gogeta having a bigger chance than UI showing up. :lol: :lol: :lol:
YUP. Extreme denial. You cant even come up with a believable, or even mediocre reason as to why all the evidence i just linked to you isn’t legit. Your counters against the Gogeta in XV2 evidence is especially bad. Its almost as if you’re trolling.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:01 pm

I don't want Gogeta to show up, but with them deciding to bend to the will of Brolli fans' money, why wouldn't they do the same for Gogeta fans? If they want to get casual fans in theater seats in addition to fans they know will show up simply because it's Dragon Ball then it makes sense from a marketing perspective to hit that lowest common denominator of Brolli vs Gogeta.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:09 pm

Miracles wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Miracles wrote:What makes you guys think Goku and Vegeta will be willing to fuse since everyone is assuming Gogeta reveal for the movie?
They probably like living so having to pick between dying and fusing won't be a hard choice.
Just like against kid buu, huh? :lol:
Buu arc Vegeta was a moron. This iteration makes more sense than that.

They don't like fusing but they will do it if they absolutely have to and it certainly appears that this is the case here.
Shaddy wrote:If he doesn't die I want him to meet kale. It'd be so dumb but I'd love it.
He will settle down with Kale and have a child and that will set up the next series. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bra, Pan, Uub and (insert vegetable pun here for Broly/Kale's kid) will be the next generation!

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:14 pm

Common objections:

"How long would Gogeta last? Metamoran fusion has a shorter time limit than Potara fusion." This movie will probably run on Frieza time. Remember when the Tournament of Power dragged out a 48 minute time limit to six months worth of episodes? The time limit won't matter unless the writers want it to. That's the Dragon Ball style.

"Why would Goku and Vegeta agree to fuse?" Because they don't stand a chance without it. And fan service, which is what this whole movie is about anyway.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:53 pm

PFM18 wrote:Bra, Pan, Uub and (insert vegetable pun here for Broly/Kale's kid) will be the next generation!
They'll name him Broly Jr to keep the brand recognition going. :lol:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:15 pm

sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:Bra, Pan, Uub and (insert vegetable pun here for Broly/Kale's kid) will be the next generation!
They'll name him Broly Jr to keep the brand recognition going. :lol:
Ah but the vegetable puns! Broly's kid will be a mini Broly right? Broly is based on Broccoli, and Broccoli has those little versions of Broccoli called the "Broccoli Crowns" so you could name the kid something related to broccoli crowns. Like "Croan" or something

But for brand recognition Broly Jr would be the best bet. This would be hilarious if it were a thing and I wouldn't really have a problem with it

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:44 pm

PFM18 wrote:For brand recognition Broly Jr would be the best bet. This would be hilarious if it were a thing and I wouldn't really have a problem with it
It would be by far the funniest thing to come out of modern DB. We'll literally have 3 Brolies running around, a Broly family no less. :lol:

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:48 pm

sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:For brand recognition Broly Jr would be the best bet. This would be hilarious if it were a thing and I wouldn't really have a problem with it
It would be by far the funniest thing to come out of modern DB. We'll literally have 3 Brolies running around, a Broly family no less. :lol:
But would you have a problem with it?

But yeah more on topic my gut is telling me that Broly won't die but rather will be befriended like Beerus was

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:29 pm

PFM18 wrote:But would you have a problem with it?

My gut is telling me that Broly won't die but rather will be befriended like Beerus was.
The idea itself ? it's a terrible one but somehow I think Toriyama could make it work if he really wanted to.

New designs show Broly back in his base form with ripped up clothes so I don't think he'll die as he could be used in a potential 3rd universal tournament.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:44 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:Remember when the Tournament of Power dragged out a 48 minute time limit to six months worth of episodes?
Was it worth this much time of our lives to be wasted? Cause I hoped almost every episode that they'll do us a favor and move for a few minutes to see what's going on as a B-Plot on Earth.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:03 am

Green_Goblin wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:Remember when the Tournament of Power dragged out a 48 minute time limit to six months worth of episodes?
Was it worth this much time of our lives to be wasted? Cause I hoped almost every episode that they'll do us a favor and move for a few minutes to see what's going on as a B-Plot on Earth.
Look at the manga, people (including myself) were complaining about the anime being too slow but when the manga went fast we complained that things were being rushed and wasted. Looking back at the anime and what the manga is currently doing, I think it was best for the anime to take its time, despite the issues it had along the way.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:40 am

sintzu wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:
Look at the manga, people (including myself) were complaining about the anime being too slow but when the manga went fast we complained that things were being rushed and wasted. Looking back at the anime and what the manga is currently doing, I think it was best for the anime to take its time, despite the issues it had along the way.
If the Buu arc were aired week to week for the first time today people would go nuts.....

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:02 am

Chuquita wrote:I don't want Gogeta to show up, but with them deciding to bend to the will of Brolli fans' money, why wouldn't they do the same for Gogeta fans? If they want to get casual fans in theater seats in addition to fans they know will show up simply because it's Dragon Ball then it makes sense from a marketing perspective to hit that lowest common denominator of Brolli vs Gogeta.
What counts, I think, is whether they/Toriyama can do something interesting with all the fanservice Broly intends to avail itself from. There's nothing inherently wrong with pleasing the audience, but it needs to feel like it has a place within the greater narrative so as not to fall flat for viewers looking for a more palatable story.

Toriyama did it throughout the 80's and 90's, and Toei showed they were capable of similar accomplishments with some of their own franchise films. Dragon Ball was always at its best when its sense of style and substance cooperated to produce something greater than the sum of its parts, and I'm cautiously optimistic that they can pull it off here as well.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:39 am

Miracles wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Miracles wrote: :lol:

I don’t think Xenoverse really ever put what if forms in for the original series characters, besides the evil versions which aren’t true transformations, but I really can’t think of anything in the vein of Blue Gogeta.
The other thing is we know we’re getting a new character from figure releases, so it would seem really strange to have them waste the character slot on a what if form, which I can’t ever remember them doing before, when they could put the new character in the game. The time frame just makes me think it’s a Broly pack.
I guess time will tell now.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:44 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: https://old.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/9 ... ng_in_the/

YUP. Extreme denial. You cant even come up with a believable, or even mediocre reason as to why all the evidence i just linked to you isn’t legit. Your counters against the Gogeta in XV2 evidence is especially bad. Its almost as if you’re trolling.
Well non canon information isn't evidence. So in reality it's you who is in denial cause no canon source for the movie has Gogeta mentioned. :lol:
PFM18 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
sintzu wrote:
They probably like living so having to pick between dying and fusing won't be a hard choice.
Just like against kid buu, huh? :lol:
Buu arc Vegeta was a moron. This iteration makes more sense than that.

They don't like fusing but they will do it if they absolutely have to and it certainly appears that this is the case here.!
That was an absolutely have to moment against Kid Buu. :o

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:18 am

So Gogeta confirmed?

Modern DB has become a deviant art video production.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:23 am

TheMikado wrote:So Gogeta confirmed? Modern DB has become a deviant art video production.
It's not confirmed yet but with Gogeta being part of the DLC we think it's safe to say he'll be in the movie. Funimation are also showing Bardock, Broly's first movie and fusion reborn in theaters before Super's movie is out. Last but not least, Bandai are hiding a character for their merchandise who's big enough to get a figure over Vegeta and Freeza.