Would it be better, if in the manga, Toyo knocks out all of the fodder including from U7 in one chapter.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: Would it be better, if in the manga, Toyo knocks out all of the fodder including from U7 in one chapter.

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:50 am

Alruneia wrote:That would definitely not be better, as it'd in a way invalidate having ten contestants per universe to begin with. Why do that when you're just gonna throw them away?
A better choice is to instead increase the amount of fights going on at once. While the "main" Universe 7 battles are happening, other contestants are fighting in the background, maybe getting a panel or so each for their eliminations. One of the biggest complaints have been that the tournament in the anime is just everyone standing still or taking their turn losing to Universe 7, so this would help remedy that. Perhaps Jiren could suddenly decide to eliminate most of a universe really quickly, too, in order to help hype him up. But this whole process wouldn't happen in just one chapter.
Seriously. Just have a few panel where they fight for a bit then an elimination.

He could do the really minor eliminations quick without giving them nothing.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Re: Would it be better, if in the manga, Toyo knocks out all of the fodder including from U7 in one chapter.

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:44 am

Toyo would earn my respect if he doesn't waste our time on fodders.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:44 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: I agree with you, universe 7 and 6 don't need to literally fight everybody.

I hope Toyotaro just gives them key fights with major characters instead of having them fight every loser that wants to go ten rounds but can't even get past the first.

By having less noteable fighters be eliminated off panel, your giving more panel and page space to things that actually matter.
I understand your point but we don't need him to rush into the important battles because they are the cooler ones to read. He should have a reasonable pace to this tournament and not knockout the weaker characters in one chapter. It will just look bad from that view of why bring those characters if you are not going to use them. To me, that is just a disaster waiting to happen.
I'm not saying he should knock out the weaker characters in a single chapter, I'm saying he doesn't need to give focus to characters that aren't going to amount to anything, and he could do this by having characters by other universes also eliminating characters in the background progressively. Universe 7 doesn't need to fight literally everybody.
I understand your point but I think it would better to at least give each universe a moment instead of getting rid of them because fans only care about 6,7, and 11
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:53 am

majinwarman wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I understand your point but we don't need him to rush into the important battles because they are the cooler ones to read. He should have a reasonable pace to this tournament and not knockout the weaker characters in one chapter. It will just look bad from that view of why bring those characters if you are not going to use them. To me, that is just a disaster waiting to happen.
I'm not saying he should knock out the weaker characters in a single chapter, I'm saying he doesn't need to give focus to characters that aren't going to amount to anything, and he could do this by having characters by other universes also eliminating characters in the background progressively. Universe 7 doesn't need to fight literally everybody.
I understand your point but I think it would better to at least give each universe a moment instead of getting rid of them because fans only care about 6,7, and 11
I agree, each universe should be given their moment in the limelight. Otherwise they would just end up feeling kind of like empty space, kind of like Universe 4, which felt completely out of their depth and were frankly completely skippable opponents.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:56 am

I believe in an interview he said something about the manga skipping ahead in the story once it gets to the tournament, so we probably won't see any of the "fodder" characters in the manga at all.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:16 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:I believe in an interview he said something about the manga skipping ahead in the story once it gets to the tournament, so we probably won't see any of the "fodder" characters in the manga at all.
It would be a great way for the manga to catch up closer to the anime if they skip over or only show brief scenes of all the fodder matches. Just think, Super had to spend dozens of episodes and months in real life showing 70 other characters eliminated. The manga could only show the most important fights and gloss over the others in one panel or quickly.

I mean there's no way in hell we're going to see all 80 characters properly featured in the manga. The manga simply doesn't have enough pages or "time" to dedicate so many scenes to fodder/unimportant enemies. I expect most to be done off-screen or in small montage panels.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:02 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:I believe in an interview he said something about the manga skipping ahead in the story once it gets to the tournament, so we probably won't see any of the "fodder" characters in the manga at all.
No,before black arc ended it was said that manga will be ahead of anime.The universe arc trailer had manga pages so people thought he is going to skip a lot of stuff like recruitment etc.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:07 am

When it comes to fleshing out this tournament, Toyataro definitely has a big handicap in comparison to the anime. I don't see this as a problem though because It's not like the anime and manga has to constantly be in competition with each-other. They're pretty much the same product.
:clap:

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:07 am

JazzMazz wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: I'm not saying he should knock out the weaker characters in a single chapter, I'm saying he doesn't need to give focus to characters that aren't going to amount to anything, and he could do this by having characters by other universes also eliminating characters in the background progressively. Universe 7 doesn't need to fight literally everybody.
I agree, each universe should be given their moment in the limelight. Otherwise they would just end up feeling kind of like empty space, kind of like Universe 4, which felt completely out of their depth and were frankly completely skippable opponents.
Thank you for seeing my point about not wasting different universes by skipping over them.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:43 am

I believe the Manga will be somewhat U7 focused, maybe a bit of U6 and U11 as well. I think it's gonna cut to random panels of random fights (for example a shot of Basil vs Nigrishi or Obuni vs Vuon. Just random pulls lol)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:57 pm

That would be lame. What Toyotaro has to do is to not focus on fodder but still show them fighting and getting knocked out in 1-2 panels each. I believe he could get to the final 10 minutes of the tournament in 3 chapters.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical