If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Fizzer
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1396
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: United Kingdom

If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by Fizzer » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:39 pm

What do you think would have happened if Toei hadn't asked Toriyama to write a story about Future Trunks, like we hear they did?

Do you think we would have gone straight into the Universe Survival arc, or got a different version of the Black/Zamasu arc without Future Trunks in it?

What might that have been like?

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by sintzu » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:53 pm

It seems like Super and modern DB as a whole is a collaboration between Toriyama, Toyotarou & what ever the "editorial office" is so we just would've gotten something else. I don't think we would've gotten the current arc as that would put 2 tournaments one after the other, something I doubt they'll ever do.

Maybe the next movie's story was something Toriyama had planned for Super but they decided it'd be better for a movie.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
MR.Mark
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1710
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:11 am

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:06 pm

It's kinda funny that both the original manga and Super arcs featuring Trunks was an overall result of other people giving Toriyama suggestions.

In the end both arcs had there moments, Zamasu was a stronger Villain than Cell in the end imo though.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 573
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by ToshioWrites » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:21 pm

Probably a planet Sadala arc and then the Universe Survival arc.


Toei, Toyotaro and DB Room need to request Toriyama to bring Trunks back

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here
Posts: 2326
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:00 pm

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:05 am

MR.Mark wrote:It's kinda funny that both the original manga and Super arcs featuring Trunks was an overall result of other people giving Toriyama suggestions.

In the end both arcs had there moments, Zamasu was a stronger Villain than Cell in the end imo though.
I'd disagree. I honestly found Zamasu to be a really poorly written character. He comes off to me as a 15 year old filled with angst whose opinions are filled with paradox and logical fallacies.

Cell on the other hand at least had an interesting personality even if he didn't have a "backstory" beyond being created.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

User avatar
SupremeKai25
I Live Here
Posts: 2036
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am
Location: The ruins of the West City

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:27 am

He comes off to me as a 15 year old filled with angst whose opinions are filled with paradox and logical fallacies.
Technically, he was a 15 years old. Even though he was probably born centuries before the beginning of Dragon Ball, he was a teenager by Shinjin's standards (who can live up to 75.000 years).
The power coursing through me is exceptional, glorious, absolute! Stare in awe, I am justice incarnate!

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by sintzu » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:48 am

ToshioWrites wrote:Toei, Toyotaro and DB Room need to request Toriyama to bring Trunks back
He's too popular, especially in the games to just be left at what we got so we'll see him eventually.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Xeogran
I Live Here
Posts: 2044
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by Xeogran » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Super would never be as well liked/popular as it is.

Let's be honest, Future Trunks' return, Goku Black and Zamasu brought a lot of people on the board. The arc was just so hype with each new episode. There was lots to discuss and theorize about, so the fandom became pretty lively too.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6615
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:13 pm

sintzu wrote:It seems like Super and modern DB as a whole is a collaboration between Toriyama, Toyotarou & what ever the "editorial office" is so we just would've gotten something else. I don't think we would've gotten the current arc as that would put 2 tournaments one after the other, something I doubt they'll ever do.

Maybe the next movie's story was something Toriyama had planned for Super but they decided it'd be better for a movie.
And before DB and DBZ was always heavily influenced by his editors.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by sintzu » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:21 pm

sangofe wrote:DB and DBZ was always heavily influenced by his editors.
It's more now as the original manga only credited him as the writer and artist, unlike now where he's just credited with the rough draft.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6615
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:26 pm

sintzu wrote:
sangofe wrote:DB and DBZ was always heavily influenced by his editors.
It's more now as the original manga only credited him as the writer and artist, unlike now where he's just credited with the rough draft.
Is "rough draft" the exact credit he's given? Anyone else?

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by sintzu » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:28 pm

sangofe wrote:Is "rough draft" the exact credit he's given? Anyone else?
On the manga's collected editions he's credited with the story while Toyotarou is with the art.

On the anime's page here on Kanzenshuu it says "Story & Character Draft — Akira Toriyama"

I don't know a lot about how things go on behind the scenes so I could be understanding something wrong so don't take my words as 100% facts.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6615
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:34 pm

sintzu wrote:
sangofe wrote:Is "rough draft" the exact credit he's given? Anyone else?
On the manga's collected editions he's credited with the story while Toyotarou is with the art.

On the anime's page here on Kanzenshuu it says "Story & Character Draft — Akira Toriyama"

I don't know a lot about how things go on behind the scenes so I could be understanding something wrong so don't take my words as 100% facts.
The word "rough" isn't used, then.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by sintzu » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:39 pm

sangofe wrote:
sintzu wrote:
sangofe wrote:Is "rough draft" the exact credit he's given? Anyone else?
On the manga's collected editions he's credited with the story while Toyotarou is with the art.

On the anime's page here on Kanzenshuu it says "Story & Character Draft — Akira Toriyama"

I don't know a lot about how things go on behind the scenes so I could be understanding something wrong so don't take my words as 100% facts.
The word "rough" isn't used, then.
Aren't draft and rough draft close to each other ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6615
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:43 pm

sintzu wrote:
sangofe wrote:
sintzu wrote:
On the manga's collected editions he's credited with the story while Toyotarou is with the art.

On the anime's page here on Kanzenshuu it says "Story & Character Draft — Akira Toriyama"

I don't know a lot about how things go on behind the scenes so I could be understanding something wrong so don't take my words as 100% facts.
The word "rough" isn't used, then.
Aren't draft and rough draft close to each other ?
If a draft is rough it clearly means less work has been put into it than a draft that is not rough.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 21005
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:45 pm

Was it confirmed that the Future Trunks arc was a Toei idea?

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6615
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Was it confirmed that the Future Trunks arc was a Toei idea?
I don't think so, no. But I'm pretty sure It wasn't Toriyama’s original idea. However, Black was.

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6090
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by Kanassa » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:50 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Was it confirmed that the Future Trunks arc was a Toei idea?
All we know is that somone at TOEI suggested to Toriyama that Future Trunks comes back
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 21005
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:51 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Was it confirmed that the Future Trunks arc was a Toei idea?
All we know is that somone at TOEI suggested to Toriyama that Future Trunks comes back
Who stated that?

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6090
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: If Toei hadn't requested the Future Trunks arc?

Post by Kanassa » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:53 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Was it confirmed that the Future Trunks arc was a Toei idea?
All we know is that somone at TOEI suggested to Toriyama that Future Trunks comes back
Who stated that?
Toriyama in one of the interviews.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Post Reply