How Super makes OLD techniques NEW again

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

How Super makes OLD techniques NEW again

Post by mecha3000 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:03 pm

What I mean by this is that I love how Dragon Ball Super is taking elements from the previous manga or anime and reforming them in new ways to make them fresh again. For example:

MAFUBA/EVIL CONTAINMENT WAVE - When this was first re-introduced into DBS, it caused many Z fans to really look into the technique and even caused Geekdom101 to make a video explaining the concept. I remember geeking out when this technique made a comeback because we never saw it utilized in a post OG Dragon Ball context. Seeing Goku finally learn a new technique is a rarity these days so it was awesome to see Roshi still teaching Goku lessons in modern DB and even though Goku never used it in the anime, he at least got to use it in the manga as a Super Saiyan Blue. But yeah, awesome to see how they made this old technique new again in a big way to the point where even FREAKIN Trunks uses it.

SLIDING KAMEHAMEHA - Be honest, did you ever think Goku in the ENTIRETY of the DB franchise would ever use the Kamehameha in a new style that lets him SLIDE on an incoming attack to get closer to the enemy and unleash his Kamehameha? I'm pretty sure no one did and that's why it's awesome. Like I said above, Goku rarely utilizes new attacks, let alone old attacks in new ways - so seeing him utilize the Kamehameha in a new way was pretty badass.

17's BARRIER - I've always thought the androids were unique in that they were equipped with defensive barriers, but I don't believe it was ever used offensively in Z. However, Super has turned this technique in a new direction by making it offensive as well. I even read on DB Wiki that he trapped someone in it, but I don't remember if this was the case (someone tell me if you know). Then, most recently - He created a force field fist (Barrier Punch) with this energy barrier.

I'm sure Super has done more like this, but you get the point. Like I said, I just love Super's awareness of the characters movesets and how to utilize them to the fullest in big ways. I would like to see more of this in addition to new techniques. I imagine the writers geek out when they come up with these new technique variations.
Last edited by mecha3000 on Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Re: How DBS makes old techniques new again

Post by precita » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:22 pm

What's bizarre to me is how Piccolo's "special beam canon" (forgot the original Japanese name) is used so often in Super like it's his main move or something. In DBZ didn't he only ever use it ONCE against Radditz, and then never again for the entire series? He might have used it in a few filler scenes like destroying Goku's spaceship, but I don't ever remember it used against a major enemy.

It's almost like Toei's writers think this is all Piccolo ever did. Charge a beam against his forehead and then shoot it out.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:34 pm

precita wrote:What's bizarre to me is how Piccolo's "special beam canon" (forgot the original Japanese name) is used so often in Super like it's his main move or something. In DBZ didn't he only ever use it ONCE against Radditz, and then never again for the entire series? He might have used it in a few filler scenes like destroying Goku's spaceship, but I don't ever remember it used against a major enemy.

It's almost like Toei's writers think this is all Piccolo ever did. Charge a beam against his forehead and then shoot it out.
I don't know, I kind of like it. Special Beam Cannon/Makankosappo is what makes Piccolo unique when compared to the other fighters. Like Android 17's usage of his barrier. What I forgot to mention is that while someone like Goku primarily uses ki attacks first and defensive barriers second, it's almost as if 17 has trained differently and primarily makes use of his barrier and uses ki attacks second (under certain circumstances). It's just fascinating. The way characters like Piccolo and 17 utilize their abilities makes them unique, kind of like comparing comic book characters like Spider-Man to Superman. Both are superheroes, but use completely different abilities for the most part and that's why it's cool.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:48 pm

precita wrote:What's bizarre to me is how Piccolo's "special beam canon" (forgot the original Japanese name) is used so often in Super like it's his main move or something. In DBZ didn't he only ever use it ONCE against Radditz, and then never again for the entire series? He might have used it in a few filler scenes like destroying Goku's spaceship, but I don't ever remember it used against a major enemy.

It's his most recognizable move. What kinda irks me is that Piccolo implied the move is usually charged with two hands and he had to improvise with one.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:13 pm

mecha3000 wrote:What I mean by this is that I love how Dragon Ball Super is taking elements from the previous manga or anime and reforming them in new ways to make them fresh again. For example:

MAFUBA/EVIL CONTAINMENT WAVE - When this was first re-introduced into DBS, it caused many Z fans to really look into the technique and even caused Geekdom101 to make a video explaining the concept. I remember geeking out when this technique made a comeback because we never saw it utilized in a post OG Dragon Ball context. Seeing Goku finally learn a new technique is a rarity these days so it was awesome to see Roshi still teaching Goku lessons in modern DB and even though Goku never used it in the anime, he at least got to use it in the manga as a Super Saiyan Blue. But yeah, awesome to see how they made this old technique new again in a big way to the point where even FREAKIN Trunks uses it.

SLIDING KAMEHAMEHA - Be honest, did you ever think Goku in the ENTIRETY of the DB franchise would ever use the Kamehameha in a new style that lets him SLIDE on an incoming attack to get closer to the enemy and unleash his Kamehameha? I'm pretty sure no one did and that's why it's awesome. Like I said above, Goku rarely utilizes new attacks, let alone old attacks in new ways - so seeing him utilize the Kamehameha in a new way was pretty badass.

17's BARRIER - I've always thought the androids were unique in that they were equipped with defensive barriers, but I don't believe it was ever used offensively in Z. However, Super has turned this technique in a new direction by making it offensive as well. I even read on DB Wiki that he trapped someone in it, but I don't remember if this was the case (someone tell me if you know). Then, most recently - He created a force field fist (Barrier Punch) with this energy barrier.

I'm sure Super has done more like this, but you get the point. Like I said, I just love Super's awareness of the characters movesets and how to utilize them to the fullest in big ways. I would like to see more of this in addition to new techniques. I imagine the writers geek out when they come up with these new technique variations.
You are so right!! This arc showed that new techniques or old can be used in cool ways. This part of Super though will just be overlooked due to Super's reputation as a bad show and can't have original ideas. But, maybe one day it'll be talked about more and discussed when people talk about this arc.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:42 pm

Another example is the Triple Destructo Disc/Kienzan that Krillin uses in the ToP. Not a big one (considering he used the same move on Frieza), but nonetheless still there. Then, even in the manga - Zamasu uses the Katchin metal against Goku. Little touches like this show an overall awareness for the DB franchise almost in a love letter type of way. I still love the fact that these now have a Wiki page: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Barrier_Punch, http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Sliding_Kamehameha, and http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Destru ... iple_Blade.

It almost makes me want to start a thread for all the new technique variations that Super has introduced, but I know there probably wouldn't be a point to it. But yeah, does anyone else have any examples they want to bring up from Super? Oh yeah, they also brought back Tenshinhan's Multi-Form and Four Witches techniques - But it didn't really utilize them in new ways like the previous mentioned ones. Still, it made Tien unique among the other fighters.

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:08 am

I think he only used it once in the manga but he did use it more in filler and movies. I agree it's a move that shouldn't be used very often, as it has a big drawback* (long charging time) but the way he used it against Frost in the last tournament and now against the Namekians was rather good IMO. The other random moments he used it I agree that they should have gone with something else.

*I think the same with Tenshinhan and the shin kikoho, they make him use that too much.

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Re: How Super makes OLD techniques NEW again

Post by Slaythe » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:28 am

mecha3000 wrote:
17's BARRIER - I've always thought the androids were unique in that they were equipped with defensive barriers, but I don't believe it was ever used offensively in Z.
For the record, he's "human", he's not equipped with anything, he came up with his moves.

No other android has used this barrier in the canon (Cell did after absorbing him). The logical conclusion is that it's HIS moves. Which is annoying when they give them to 18 in videogames to justify not including him. Hopefully Super set the record straight by now. He's used the barrier like 30 times in various ways and 18 hasn't used any. (I wish they had given her something unique but she's bad ass anyway)
emi_b7 wrote:

I think he only used it once in the manga but he did use it more in filler and movies. I agree it's a move that shouldn't be used very often, as it has a big drawback* (long charging time) but the way he used it against Frost in the last tournament and now against the Namekians was rather good IMO. The other random moments he used it I agree that they should have gone with something else.

*I think the same with Tenshinhan and the shin kikoho, they make him use that too much.
This is true, but keep in mind he hasn't used a single attack of his twice in the manga (at least in Z era). Turning giant ? Nope, Mouth beam ? Nope, Hellzone ? Nope etc...

I can be wrong but if I don't remember which move he did use twice, probably wasn't as cool as the others :p .

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:48 am

And while we see some old techniques appearing again after forever, it also begs the question: why characters don't come up with new techniques? Why does it always have to use the same old ones? Is it laziness?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:49 am

For the record, he's "human", he's not equipped with anything, he came up with his moves.

No other android has used this barrier in the canon (Cell did after absorbing him). The logical conclusion is that it's HIS moves. Which is annoying when they give them to 18 in videogames to justify not including him. Hopefully Super set the record straight by now. He's used the barrier like 30 times in various ways and 18 hasn't used any. (I wish they had given her something unique but she's bad ass anyway)
I didn't know this about 17 and 18. I assumed Gero programmed them with these abilities since they were previously humans. Interesting.
In addition to new technique variations/utilizations such as these: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Barrier_Punch, http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Sliding_Kamehameha, and http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Destru ... iple_Blade, I wonder what other new-old techniques will be brought to Dragon Ball Super. I just love the ToP arc for elements like these, really goes to show these characters have developed how they utilize their movesets (not sure if the Kamehameha Slide was developed by Goku or was just INSTINCT from Ultra Instinct).

Also, I agree on the 18 thing. 17 has become a standout in the ToP arc similar to Piccolo and Vegeta when they first became a part of the main cast. Even though 18 has had some badass moments such as taking down a certain annoyance, she hasn't displayed anything as cool as 17 has. Still, I appreciate she's had some badass moments and was included in the tournament unlike Buu.

I also wish we'd see more new techniques used by the main cast. Besides learning Mafuba and Hakai (manga), Goku doesn't come up with any new techniques - something I discussed here: viewtopic.php?t=36142 with him seemingly creating the Dragon Fist. I got a response from VegettoEX explaining that Goku doesn't seem to want to create his own moves, but inherits other ones and makes them his own. As for other characters, I don't know.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:52 am

Grimlock wrote:And while we see some old techniques appearing again after forever, it also begs the question: why characters don't come up with new techniques? Why does it always have to use the same old ones? Is it laziness?
They used to before namek. After that,the focus was generic ki blasts except goku.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:13 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:And while we see some old techniques appearing again after forever, it also begs the question: why characters don't come up with new techniques? Why does it always have to use the same old ones? Is it laziness?
They used to before namek. After that,the focus was generic ki blasts except goku.
Oh yeah, off the top of my head in Z - Goku learned: Kaioken and Spirit Bomb for Saiyan Saga, Instant Transmission and Instant Kamehameha for Cell Saga, and for the Buu Saga he had the knowledge of the Fusion dance (don't know if this counts as he never used it). In fact, back in the day - Instant Kamehameha was similar to the Sliding Kamehameha (or Ultra Kamehameha) in how unique it was compared to previous Kamehamehas. We're just so used to Instant Kamehameha that we never think about how badass it probably was when it first debuted.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:26 am

mecha3000 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
Oh yeah, off the top of my head in Z - Goku learned: Kaioken and Spirit Bomb for Saiyan Saga, Instant Transmission and Instant Kamehameha for Cell Saga, and for the Buu Saga he had the knowledge of the Fusion dance (don't know if this counts as he never used it). In fact, back in the day - Instant Kamehameha was similar to the Sliding Kamehameha (or Ultra Kamehameha) in how unique it was compared to previous Kamehamehas. We're just so used to Instant Kamehameha that we never think about how badass it probably was when it first debuted.
Yes,outside goku and new characters no one had anything new.Even in top there are either og db or variations of previous techniques.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kepiaschkz » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:33 am

It's often forgotten by the fanbase, but Piccolo actually used the Makankosappo twice and in the manga.

The second time was against Nappa.
Note that he charged it with both hands which is supposed to be the normal way to use this technique.
Afterwards, Toeï always makes Piccolo using a single hand. I think this is because it was used this way against Raditz and it was way more memorable since the attack ended up killing both the main character and the newly introduced villain at the same time.
But Toeï seems to have forgotten the only reason the move was used this way is because Piccolo lost an arm to begin with.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:23 am

I had no idea the Makankosappo was supposed to be a two-handed technique. Way to make the anime and other supplementary material totally render the manga forgotten. Kinda sad, really.

Also, the technique wasn't used very many times in the manga at all, like you've all pointed out - and yet it feels ubiquitous. Blame the video games, really.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:37 am

The reintroduction of those techniques does raise the question of why the users neglected to consider using them against enemies during the latter stages of the original series. How much of the crises could have been averted if the characters had the gumption to seal away their opponent or use the Special Beam Cannon (when it was still practical against non-regenerative opponents)? It's entertaining to watch these classics all having the dust brushed off them and used once again, but it does raise the aforementioned question. Plus, you run the risk of besmirching their character by mishandling them -- as is the case with the Mafuba when Trunks somehow mastered it by observing a video of it being used once. I'm not even all that comfortable with Goku acquiring it. It's not a technique that's very appropriate for the kind of attitude he has when it comes to enemies. Moreover, I don't believe Goku needs to appropriate every technique and transformation there is. Some exclusivity for the supporting cast should be allowed without Goku taking it all to prove that he's the "best".

You then have the Special Beam Cannon which has become a case of pseudo-crippling overspecialisation for Piccolo in the anime. If he isn't actively charging it then more often than not he's depicted as beleaguered with some enemy having the advantage over him. The cannon is the one trump card that enables him to hold his ground and I'm not sure I feel very comfortable about that. You're almost devolving him into a one trick pony like Tenshinhan became in DBZ. Piccolo can and has done much more than that. His abilities aren't limited to just SBC and regeneration for when his arm inevitably gets blown off.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:38 am

Saturnine wrote:I had no idea the Makankosappo was supposed to be a two-handed technique. Way to make the anime and other supplementary material totally render the manga forgotten. Kinda sad, really.

Also, the technique wasn't used very many times in the manga at all, like you've all pointed out - and yet it feels ubiquitous. Blame the video games, really.
Wait, then why did Piccolo use it with two fingers instead of his entire hand the first time he used it?
The reintroduction of those techniques does raise the question of why the users neglected to consider using them against enemies during the latter stages of the original series. How much of the crises could have been averted if the characters had the gumption to seal away their opponent or use the Special Beam Cannon (when it was still practical against non-regenerative opponents)? It's entertaining to watch these classics all having the dust brushed off them and used once again, but it does raise the aforementioned question. Plus, you run the risk of besmirching their character by mishandling them -- as is the case with the Mafuba when Trunks somehow mastered it by observing a video of it being used once. I'm not even all that comfortable with Goku acquiring it. It's not a technique that's very appropriate for the kind of attitude he has when it comes to enemies. Moreover, I don't believe Goku needs to appropriate every technique and transformation there is. Some exclusivity for the supporting cast should be allowed without Goku taking it all to prove that he's the "best".

You then have the Special Beam Cannon which has become a case of pseudo-crippling overspecialisation for Piccolo in the anime. If he isn't actively charging it then more often than not he's depicted as beleaguered with some enemy having the advantage over him. The cannon is the one trump card that enables him to hold his ground and I'm not sure I feel very comfortable about that. You're almost devolving him into a one trick pony like Tenshinhan became in DBZ. Piccolo can and has done much more than that. His abilities aren't limited to just SBC and regeneration for when his arm inevitably gets blown off.
You make a lot of good points, but I actually liked how Goku learned Mafuba because he's a turtle student and Tien learned it so why not Goku? It also gave Roshi relevance as a master to Goku once again. I do agree that the technique is better suited to Roshi though, but I also like the idea of Goku being forced to use a technique he doesn't exactly feel comfortable with for the sake of his world. It's kind of like a character development thing. Piccolo seems like someone who should come up with new moves, so I agree with you there. When one of the U6 Saiyans used an energy blade, it made me think about Piccolo doing something similar and made me miss when we got entirely brand new techniques. Super seems intent on only giving us old techniques as fanservice (which is cool in a comic book sort of way), but in addition: I want Goku and the other characters to invent new techniques. I mean, Goku using the Hakai technique was cool - but once again, it's more of a Beerus move not his.
Last edited by mecha3000 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:42 am

Hawk9211 wrote:They used to before namek. After that,the focus was generic ki blasts except goku.
It's so sad. Android 17 got Super Electric Strike in Xenoverse and it appears as a technique for Dragon Ball Super's Android 17 in Dragon Ball Heroes. I was hoping to see it in the anime, but oh well... :roll:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:45 am

mecha3000 wrote:
Saturnine wrote:I had no idea the Makankosappo was supposed to be a two-handed technique. Way to make the anime and other supplementary material totally render the manga forgotten. Kinda sad, really.

Wait, then why did Piccolo use it with two fingers instead of his entire hand the first time he used it?
Because a) he had lost his other arm against Raditz b) his ability to regenerate limbs was saved until later so as to make it a twist. poor decision IMO, but oh well

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:52 am

Grimlock wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:They used to before namek. After that,the focus was generic ki blasts except goku.
It's so sad. Android 17 got Super Electric Strike in Xenoverse and it appears as a technique for Dragon Ball Super's Android 17 in Dragon Ball Heroes. I was hoping to see it in the anime, but oh well... :roll:
Ooh, that's badass. Don't count the technique out just yet, 17 is still in the ring. However, even if he does get knocked out - We still have the techniques in the games (which I consider awesome in its own regard). Besides, the games represent what I call the "Dragon Ball Expanded Universe" like Star Wars. Anything that appears in the games can appear in the anime one day and if the ToP version of 17 has it in Dragon Ball Heroes, there's always a chance he'll use it in the ToP arc or possibly even beyond it.
Note that he charged it with both hands which is supposed to be the normal way to use this technique.
Uh, is the two-hand Makankosappo/Special Beam Cannon really a thing after reading about this, the Makosen?: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Makosen Should I not trust DB Wiki or what?