Top 10 Most Disappointing Fighters in the ToP

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Top 10 Most Disappointing Fighters in the ToP

Post by wolflonnie » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:24 am

10. Krillin. I can't bring myself to put him any higher because his recruitment episode and the development he got in the two-parter were my all-time favourite things from Super. His tournament episode was decent too. It's just...someone had to go out first, why couldn't it have been someone who didn't have such a great buildup?
I agree with you. But I think there was also beauty in this. I mean, it would've been predictable if he lasted longer.
Him being defeated so early showed that anything can happen.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:49 am

Hakaishin Liquir wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:All of Universe 10.

Say what you will about Universe 4 and Universe 3, but Universe 4 actually contributed something to tournament by the most important thing of eliminating one of the best performing fighters in the entire tournament up to that stage, and Universe 3 was a major threat the strongest fighters that Universe 7 had to offer and was indirectly responsible for Universe 7 losing another fighter. Both Universe 3 and 4 had some kind of effect in the plot or major relevancy. Nobody on Universe 10 contributed anything of importance or really feel as if they were a challenge. And the only character that who managed to do something was Obuni. But he didn't last long when Gohan went Ultimate.
Yeah Universe 10 was trash, but the recruitment arc made us expect that so I didn't have any high expectations for them.
The recruitment arc didn't have my expectations high for any of the universes apart from 6, 7 and 11. But guess what... Universes 2, 3, 4 and 9 still either contributed to reducing the numbers of fighters or were a legitimate threats in combat to some of the strongest fighters in the entire tournament.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:59 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Hakaishin Liquir wrote:

Say what you will about Universe 4 and Universe 3, but Universe 4 actually contributed something to tournament by the most important thing of eliminating one of the best performing fighters in the entire tournament up to that stage, and Universe 3 was a major threat the strongest fighters that Universe 7 had to offer and was indirectly responsible for Universe 7 losing another fighter. Both Universe 3 and 4 had some kind of effect in the plot or major relevancy. Nobody on Universe 10 contributed anything of importance or really feel as if they were a challenge. And the only character that who managed to do something was Obuni. But he didn't last long when Gohan went Ultimate.
Yeah Universe 10 was trash, but the recruitment arc made us expect that so I didn't have any high expectations for them.
The recruitment arc didn't have my expectations high for any of the universes apart from 6, 7 and 11. But guess what... Universes 2, 3, 4 and 9 still either contributed to reducing the numbers of fighters or were a legitimate threats in combat some of the strongest fighters in the entire tournament.
El Grande Padre hyped U2 women.Nigrisshi and narirama were hyped.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:27 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Hakaishin Liquir wrote: Yeah Universe 10 was trash, but the recruitment arc made us expect that so I didn't have any high expectations for them.
The recruitment arc didn't have my expectations high for any of the universes apart from 6, 7 and 11. But guess what... Universes 2, 3, 4 and 9 still either contributed to reducing the numbers of fighters or were a legitimate threats in combat to some of the strongest fighters in the entire tournament.
Who the hell is El Grande Padre?

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:45 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: The recruitment arc didn't have my expectations high for any of the universes apart from 6, 7 and 11. But guess what... Universes 2, 3, 4 and 9 still either contributed to reducing the numbers of fighters or were a legitimate threats in combat to some of the strongest fighters in the entire tournament.
Who the hell is El Grande Padre?
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Big Chief
Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Chief » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:08 am

10. Murichim (Was built up to be fodder, but I at least expected a gag scene from him. Not him being off screened.)
9. Maji Kayo (Could have been used against anyone else.).
8. Majora (Thought he would be more important than he was due to his placement in the intro)
7. The snipers
6. Ganos
5. The Trio de Dangers (Thought they would last longer than they did.)
4. Most of the Pride Troopers
3. Vikal (While I adored her, her design was way too good to be used as fodder.)
2. Nigrisshi
1. Damon and Gamisaras

I don't feel like I need to explain the ones without parentheses.
Some know me as GigglesMcFiggles.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:33 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Who the hell is El Grande Padre?
Literally "The Great Father", but in spanish speaking countries "padre" is also used to refer to priests, kinda like how during confessions people in english speaking countries will start out by saying: "Father, I have sinned." With father in place of Priest or Pastor.
So yeah it's the Grand Priest.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:30 pm

I really wish the hispanic Dragonball fanbase would stop making those ridiculous meme images. It's times like this I'm glad I don't understand spanish beyond a few words, I almost fear to think what the spanish Dragonball fanbase is actually like if I could read their forums or posts on social media sites.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:58 pm

My top 9 are Jobeta, Jobza, Joblin, Jobhan, Tenjobhan, Jobbolo, Jobshi, Jobenteen and Jobdroid 18.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:20 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Hakaishin Liquir wrote:

Thank You For this Post Lord Beerus and I am glad you got to this topic that I think gets greatly looked over.

While I have mentioned My Disappointment in the Fact that not many Fighters in the ToP, espically My Girl Ribrianne where not shown enough to be on Blue Level or Higher...............I should have mentioned this DOES-NOT = to them be Worthless, Weak or Unskilled fighters! :wink:

We tend to Get SO Overly worked-up over how powerful a fighter is, that that ends up being all that really matters in the long run and allot of this disappointment we have been talking about steams mostly from that, Power Levels. But when we get so hooked on seeing only the Higher Fighters we tend to overlook just how powerful the other fighters are and how skilled they where in battle.

Say what you will about U4 but they hosted some of the most impressive variety of Unique skills in the ToP. They where the most various in uniqueness in these skills among their members, I felt like I was reading a Comic about Mutants, aka The X-Men then watching Dragon Ball at times. They where threats that if not dealt with properly like they where they would have been more trouble as the fight went along. They also contributed to eliminations.

We tend to overlook how allot of these fighters are at levels of power we as Dragon Ball Fans USED to consider the Best Level to be at! Yea we move on and get stronger but we tend to forget just how LONG and How HARD it is to GET to these Power Levels. Need we forget the Journey we have been on with Goku, Vegeta and the other U7 warriors with ALL they had to go threw to get to the next level?!

We may want to have some humility in how we call characters fodder or worthless just cause they are not at what is "The New & Shine" Best Level right now, one we all-know will be surpassed in time as well. We as fans need to remember the journey it takes to get to these levels of power, how HARD it is and wonder HOW these characters got to those levels and appreciate them more as the Warriors THEY-ARE then the warriors THEY-Are-Not Yet by just obsessing over the "New Shine" Highest Power level standards just made this arc alone. :roll:

My U2 was No Different in this, also showing Great Levels of Skill and Power. Again it might not be Blue Level but they where Powerful in their own rights and Unique in their own ways. My Girl Kakunsa showed a form of Fighting that is similar to that of Marvel Warriors like Black Panther, Wolverine, X-23, Tigra and others that is not the norm in Dragon Ball, the Fury of a Animal with the Skill, Speed and Agility to Boot! While not completely to the highest levels of Android 17, she still gave as much as she got and it took real skill to take her Down.

My Girl Rozie was a fighter that got faster with each punch, doing the reverse in stamina lose in fighting and just gaining more and more speed when attacking which is a unique ablity. Add onto that her impressive Ki control and if you underestimated how she can use it you could get really hurt.

My Girl Ribrianne for the most part while getting confusing power level definitions from Toei, still showed that no matter what for a good while she never seem to tire or even get hurt. Ever punch and attack just did not Phase her in the least and she attack with a smile and positivity in her attacks that is lacking in most other fighters for a longtime. Her various skills and unpredictability in using them keep her opponents guessing her next move, even how she looked too fighters took them off guard to how strong she was. She could give back as well as she took and even took NO Damage from a Hit from Goku Blue by surprise! YES, Toei may have dropped the ball later in showing her levels well, but when you just take that out and analyze both how she Fought, how she took attacks and how the characters she fought with reacted while how well she gave back, she surprised many with what she could do a good amount of times and never seemed to get Hurt!

Not even going into personias, the characters backgrounds and more, the ToP has hosted some interesting fighters that if other fighters did not take seriously could have eliminated them either off guard or rising to levels they did not see, aka the Last 3 U2 warriors with the Power of Love with their Black Hole attack or U3's Final Fusion.

We need to see how Full the glass is then how much we Don't have, we need to be the fans that see the Glass half full and what the fullness gave to us, then what we did not get and what we did not get maybe is meant to happen over time. :think:

Even so, looking back on the ToP fighters, when you take the over burdening ideal of Power Levels out of every battle, many battles are exciting and full of interesting and uniquely skillful moments from fighters that where serious and if not taken seriously could do more damage then thought.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:14 am

precita wrote:I really wish the hispanic Dragonball fanbase would stop making those ridiculous meme images. It's times like this I'm glad I don't understand spanish beyond a few words, I almost fear to think what the spanish Dragonball fanbase is actually like if I could read their forums or posts on social media sites.
"el grande padre" doesn't really make sense in Spanish, it should be "el gran padre", so I doubt most of those memes come from the Spanish/LatinAmerican fanbase. In that particular meme "imposible" is misspelled (they spelled it with double "s", curiously like in English) and "esto es el fin" is also wrong (should be "este es el fin") so I'm 100% sure it doesn't come from the Hipanic fans. I am pretty sure this is mostly a thing in the English fanbase.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:41 am

emi_b7 wrote:
precita wrote:I really wish the hispanic Dragonball fanbase would stop making those ridiculous meme images. It's times like this I'm glad I don't understand spanish beyond a few words, I almost fear to think what the spanish Dragonball fanbase is actually like if I could read their forums or posts on social media sites.
"el grande padre" doesn't really make sense in Spanish, it should be "el gran padre", so I doubt most of those memes come from the Spanish/LatinAmerican fanbase. In that particular meme "imposible" is misspelled (they spelled it with double "s", curiously like in English) and "esto es el fin" is also wrong (should be "este es el fin") so I'm 100% sure it doesn't come from the Hipanic fans. I am pretty sure this is mostly a thing in the English fanbase.
The meme originated on 4chan as a means to make fun of the Hispanic fandom due to the ridiculous theories they come up with.

"Gohan it's time for you to see my true form".

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:14 am

The Pride Troopers: Ohh boy, where do I start? This was the team squadron from the universe that was supposed to serve as the main final antagonist for our beloved Universe 7, right? You'd think after knowing that, their presence would at least provide some relevance to the narrative and would be more challenging adversaries. Unfortunately, all that potential was shot right out of the sky by Kale and Caulifla and were rendered as irrelevant fodder, just like 80% of the competitors in the arc. Only three of Universe 11 representatives were worthwhile to the narrative and even they haven't done much except standing around procrastinating until the final minutes of the tournament.

Nigirisshi: During the recruiting of the fighters representing their universe, the recruitment arc took their time to divert its attention to Universe 3. One of the first characters of that universe to appear was Nigirisshi, who was hyped up to be their strongest modified warrior. Their "strongest modified warrior" casually kicked off the stage by BASE CABBA! Of all the forms that could've defeated him, it had to be his untransformed state. He really had to be portrayed that pathetic and useless. The only saving grace that saved Universe 3 from being completely expendable like the rest was Anilaza.

Narirama: Like Nigirisshi above, Narirama was the second Universe 3 robot to participate in the tournament. The anime even took its time explaining his very features and modifications. What it can do to save itself from ring outs, his offensives, etc. When the ToP began, he did started putting quite a performance and kicking some ass.........before Hit and Basil dismantled him. Ahh well, his performance is still better than Nigirisshi by a wide margin as it did took a prodigious assassin in Hit to take him out. He nearly swept out a decent amount of competitors like the Kamikaze Fireballs which leads to

Ribrianne: This may be a broken record and I am aware this single character has already been deemed the antichrist by the fanbase more times than I can count, but the record isn't as overloaded as Ribrianne's constant utterance of LOVE!! Universe 2's strongest fighter taken out by the likes of Android 18. Why not make her on par with Blue Goku? At least that would've made her more worthwhile instead of appearing every once in a while abusing her catchphrase to the point of exhaustion.

Katopelsa: He is the Karmen Rider of Universe 3 and protector of the innocents! As if we didn't have enough of those archetypes in this series already! He has the same issue as Ribrianne in which every scene he is featured in he is either A) not taken remotely seriously at all or B) is prone to more embarrassing curbstomps.

Cabba: Ever since the introduction of the female Saiyans of Universe 6, Cabba's character has merely been a shadow of their feet. The only real genuine focus he ever gets in the arc besides fodderizing Nigirisshi is his victory against Monna and reaching a new plateau of power in SSJ2.........only to be eventually swatted like a fly by Golden Freeza later on in the same episode.

Universe 10: I know I was already expecting most of them to be fodder anyways since the recruitment episodes, but that doesn't quell my disappointment with the Universe 10 team. Most of them are just a lot of macho dumbasses that were rendered inept garbage with the exception of Obuni, the only decently developed character in U10 that wasn't complete fodder. He had an interesting dynamic with Gohan that could've been further explored had the arc been arsed to give them more screentime instead of focusing on the less interesting characters like the Universe 6 female Saiyans and the nuisance known as Ribrianne. Obuni should've been the leader of Universe 10 instead of Murichim, that would've added more to his dynamic with Gohan. It is unfortunate that Obuni's only episode where he shined was the only one before he got erased.

Universe 6 Namekians: Like Obuni from Universe 10, the Namekian duo were made to only look cool the last episode before their eventual defeat and erasure. Their defeat was satisfying enough though the fight could've lasted longer had the episode not dedicate half its time to focus on the Universe 2 transgenders. The very concept of them absorbing their own race is interesting.

Frost: Aside from eliminating Krillin and nearly Vegeta, what has this guy accomplished? Tormenting an already wounded old man some more instead of throwing him out the arena because he has to fufill all the criteria necessary to be a Freeza clone?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:19 am

Freeza9000 wrote:[spoiler]The Pride Troopers: Ohh boy, where do I start? This was the team squadron from the universe that was supposed to serve as the main final antagonist for our beloved Universe 7, right? You'd think after knowing that, their presence would at least provide some relevance to the narrative and would be more challenging adversaries. Unfortunately, all that potential was shot right out of the sky by Kale and Caulifla and were rendered as irrelevant fodder, just like 80% of the competitors in the arc. Only three of Universe 11 representatives were worthwhile to the narrative and even they haven't done much except standing around procrastinating until the final minutes of the tournament.

Nigirisshi: During the recruiting of the fighters representing their universe, the recruitment arc took their time to divert its attention to Universe 3. One of the first characters of that universe to appear was Nigirisshi, who was hyped up to be their strongest modified warrior. Their "strongest modified warrior" casually kicked off the stage by BASE CABBA! Of all the forms that could've defeated him, it had to be his untransformed state. He really had to be portrayed that pathetic and useless. The only saving grace that saved Universe 3 from being completely expendable like the rest was Anilaza.

Narirama: Like Nigirisshi above, Narirama was the second Universe 3 robot to participate in the tournament. The anime even took its time explaining his very features and modifications. What it can do to save itself from ring outs, his offensives, etc. When the ToP began, he did started putting quite a performance and kicking some ass.........before Hit and Basil dismantled him. Ahh well, his performance is still better than Nigirisshi by a wide margin as it did took a prodigious assassin in Hit to take him out. He nearly swept out a decent amount of competitors like the Kamikaze Fireballs which leads to

Ribrianne: This may be a broken record and I am aware this single character has already been deemed the antichrist by the fanbase more times than I can count, but the record isn't as overloaded as Ribrianne's constant utterance of LOVE!! Universe 2's strongest fighter taken out by the likes of Android 18. Why not make her on par with Blue Goku? At least that would've made her more worthwhile instead of appearing every once in a while abusing her catchphrase to the point of exhaustion.

Katopelsa: He is the Karmen Rider of Universe 3 and protector of the innocents! As if we didn't have enough of those archetypes in this series already! He has the same issue as Ribrianne in which every scene he is featured in he is either A) not taken remotely seriously at all or B) is prone to more embarrassing curbstomps.

Cabba: Ever since the introduction of the female Saiyans of Universe 6, Cabba's character has merely been a shadow of their feet. The only real genuine focus he ever gets in the arc besides fodderizing Nigirisshi is his victory against Monna and reaching a new plateau of power in SSJ2.........only to be eventually swatted like a fly by Golden Freeza later on in the same episode.

Universe 10: I know I was already expecting most of them to be fodder anyways since the recruitment episodes, but that doesn't quell my disappointment with the Universe 10 team. Most of them are just a lot of macho dumbasses that were rendered inept garbage with the exception of Obuni, the only decently developed character in U10 that wasn't complete fodder. He had an interesting dynamic with Gohan that could've been further explored had the arc been arsed to give them more screentime instead of focusing on the less interesting characters like the Universe 6 female Saiyans and the nuisance known as Ribrianne. Obuni should've been the leader of Universe 10 instead of Murichim, that would've added more to his dynamic with Gohan. It is unfortunate that Obuni's only episode where he shined was the only one before he got erased.

Universe 6 Namekians: Like Obuni from Universe 10, the Namekian duo were made to only look cool the last episode before their eventual defeat and erasure. Their defeat was satisfying enough though the fight could've lasted longer had the episode not dedicate half its time to focus on the Universe 2 transgenders. The very concept of them absorbing their own race is interesting.

Frost: Aside from eliminating Krillin and nearly Vegeta, what has this guy accomplished? Tormenting an already wounded old man some more instead of throwing him out the arena because he has to fufill all the criteria necessary to be a Freeza clone?[/spoiler]
That's more than 10. :P

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:51 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote:[spoiler]The Pride Troopers: Ohh boy, where do I start? This was the team squadron from the universe that was supposed to serve as the main final antagonist for our beloved Universe 7, right? You'd think after knowing that, their presence would at least provide some relevance to the narrative and would be more challenging adversaries. Unfortunately, all that potential was shot right out of the sky by Kale and Caulifla and were rendered as irrelevant fodder, just like 80% of the competitors in the arc. Only three of Universe 11 representatives were worthwhile to the narrative and even they haven't done much except standing around procrastinating until the final minutes of the tournament.

Frost: Aside from eliminating Krillin and nearly Vegeta, what has this guy accomplished? Tormenting an already wounded old man some more instead of throwing him out the arena because he has to fufill all the criteria necessary to be a Freeza clone?[/spoiler]
That's more than 10. :P
Ha, I guess I went beyond that limit before sleeping.

Hakaishin Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hakaishin Liquir » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:43 am

Freeza9000 wrote:The Pride Troopers: Ohh boy, where do I start? This was the team squadron from the universe that was supposed to serve as the main final antagonist for our beloved Universe 7, right? You'd think after knowing that, their presence would at least provide some relevance to the narrative and would be more challenging adversaries. Unfortunately, all that potential was shot right out of the sky by Kale and Caulifla and were rendered as irrelevant fodder, just like 80% of the competitors in the arc. Only three of Universe 11 representatives were worthwhile to the narrative and even they haven't done much except standing around procrastinating until the final minutes of the tournament.

Frost: Aside from eliminating Krillin and nearly Vegeta, what has this guy accomplished? Tormenting an already wounded old man some more instead of throwing him out the arena because he has to fufill all the criteria necessary to be a Freeza clone?
Yeah Frost was pretty disappointing too. I thought that since he is much weaker than Freeza, his intelligence and battle tactics would be greater than Freeza's to make up for their power gap... but instead Toei decided to make him Freeza's inferior in literally every aspect. His plan in 107 which almost let him ring out Vegeta made him look like an impressive tactician, but then Freeza played him like a fiddle in the next episode. What's the point of Frost's character if Freeza can do everything better than him?