So how much time has passed since Buu was defeated?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

So how much time has passed since Buu was defeated?

Post by Analytical Delusion » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:19 pm

I've seen people say 5-7 years, but nothing really precise. To be honest, it doesn't even feel like that much time has gone by.

Has anyone compiled all the quotes from the Super anime or manga referring to time passing? Would be nice to get a better idea.

precita
Banned

Re: So how much time has passed since Buu was defeated?

Post by precita » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Nobody really knows. It's become ambiguous because they don't want to age up Trunks, Goten or Marron.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:50 pm

BoG arc was 4 years after Buu, Resurrection F was 10 months after that, and we should currently be at least a year and a half ahead of that considering the Shenron summonings so I'd say we're around 6 years ahead of Buu, around Age 780.

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:08 pm

As far as I know, the Boo conflict was in mid Age 774, Yo! Son Gokū and His Friends Return!! was in mid Age 776, Battle of Gods was in mid Age 778, Revival of F was in late Age 779, the Destroyer Deity Tournament was in late Age 779, the Zero Mortals Plan was in late 779 or early 780, the Tournament of Power was in late 780 or early 781, Gokū left with Oob in mid Age 784, GT took place in mid Age 789 and mid 790, and the future component of the Zero Mortals Plan was in late 795 to early 796. I could be mistaken on any or all of these, however.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:19 pm

Saw this on Reddit:
In the first episode, they mention that 6 months after the defeat of Majin Buu, the Dragon Balls were used to erase the Earth's memories of Fat Buu, so that he could be seen in public. The narrator then goes on to mention "some time has passed since then". How much time is not specified in the anime.

Battle of Gods – which Dragon Ball Super adapted into a story arc – was set four years later. But an issue of Weekly Shonen Jump contradicted this, claiming that Dragon Ball Super is set 6 months after the battle with Majin Buu.

Because of conflicting reports and events, we have no idea when Super is set at the moment. If Super is 6 months after Buu, Pan was born much earlier than she should have been. If it's set the same time as Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F', Buu was kept hidden for four years despite the wish being made, and Mr. Satan received his peace prize four years after saving the Earth, which was not the implication. To make things even more confusing, Pan is already ~1 year old, and Bra is nowhere to be found.
So it seems BoG the movie happened four years after Buu (2 years after the special), but in Super it was retconned/rewritten to 6 months?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:08 pm

Well also keep in mind the entire tournament of power takes place in 48 minutes, and a lot of the recruitment episodes all happened the same day. For all we know the entire Zamasu arc could have taken place in a week.

Just because it's years and hundreds of eps in real life for us, in-universe barely any time has passed over the last year and half of eps.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:00 pm

Bra has just been born, so officially it is Age 780, 6 years since Buu's defeat.
In the latest manga chapter Mr Satan mentions it's been over 10 years since Cell's death, so there it's at least 3 years since Buu's death.
And that's about it. The anime doesn't provide anything as specific as the manga.