Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Black Hawk
Regular

Re: Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Post by Black Hawk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:13 pm

Chuquita wrote:Aw shit.

I....really didn't want it to end here, but at least it wasn't on the heels of the Goku Black arc which I enjoyed 95% of, but the ToP where my feelings were a lot more mixed and so leaving me less disappointed it's ending now than then. This arc softened the blow in other words.

I plan to stick around this now sinking ship until Super ends in late March. I'll arrange my deck chairs and play with the band until it's time to climb in the life boat and sail off towards the horizon. This all feels so hollow. Even with the promise of a movie...I'm still not all that excited about this movie, but maybe that'll change as news appears.

It's been a wonderfully bizarre adventure to share this strange midquel series with you guys. Thank you for everything.
Couldn't have said it better, myself, Chu-chan. Here's to hoping the movie will be the best so far!
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:15 pm

Just for clarification sake it appears “Super” the series appears to be ending but another “DB” project could possibly be up in the air.

Hiatus is in accurate but it’s likely it will be followed by another series.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:18 pm

I find it odd that they would end Super seeing how well it is doing. With GT, the ratings and merchandise was doing poorly. In a businesses stand point of view, Super is probably the best selling thing in the DB series in years.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Hopefully if/when Super returns or a new series begins, they will have their shit together and it won't be absolutely terrible.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:23 pm

I really don't care the new movie, it would be much better if that story was the next arc of Super.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:23 pm

I....really didn't want it to end here, but at least it wasn't on the heels of the Goku Black arc which I enjoyed 95% of, but the ToP where my feelings were a lot more mixed and so leaving me less disappointed it's ending now than then. This arc softened the blow in other words.

I plan to stick around this now sinking ship until Super ends in late March. I'll arrange my deck chairs and play with the band until it's time to climb in the life boat and sail off towards the horizon. This all feels so hollow. Even with the promise of a movie...I'm still not all that excited about this movie, but maybe that'll change as news appears.

It's been a wonderfully bizarre adventure to share this strange midquel series with you guys. Thank you for everything.
Luckily, news is promised the same weekend Super ends!

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:24 pm

Fukushima, Kitano should be the first ones to get the boot after the DBS ends, Yamamuro too but we know he will never leave.

Takahashi should return for Goku vs Jiren finale, and give us the best fight in DB franchise history.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:25 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:

Luckily, news is promised the same weekend Super ends!

Can’t say I would be excited since it won’t be coming until the end of the year. That’s too far away for me to care.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:39 pm

What could be the reasoning to drop Dragon Ball having in mind the massive success it's having and with that comes $$$$.
Kitaro is something that will not go overseas, to be honest I only know about it because it's replacing DBS and for that I hate it :(

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:45 pm

This better be a hiatus and not an actual ending to the series. I want Super to come back stronger than ever.

Now what do I do with my life up until the new movie comes out?

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:46 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I find it odd that they would end Super seeing how well it is doing. With GT, the ratings and merchandise was doing poorly. In a businesses stand point of view, Super is probably the best selling thing in the DB series in years.
GTs average TV ranking is better than Supers. The ratings are not one to one comparable for obvious reasons and GT has sold more home media/specifically DVDs than any other DB series. Supers performance was never a valid claim for why it wouldn’t end.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:48 pm

cuartas wrote:What could be the reasoning to drop Dragon Ball having in mind the massive success it's having and with that comes $$$$.
Kitaro is something that will not go overseas, to be honest I only know about it because it's replacing DBS and for that I hate it :(
I don't really think it's over. Given the fact a new db movie is being produced, Toyotaro saying that soon he will be ahead of the anime and the fact that even current super had some schedule problems (which means things are still not 100% normal in spite all the cool shit we've seen), this probably means that the series is just taking a break instead of being damaged by all this new stuff.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Fuji TV have stated that the series isn’t over and the future of it is being discussed at the moment.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:49 pm

Does anyone think that the ending for the Universe Survival arc will lead into the new movie? Because that would create a crazy amount of anticipation.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:49 pm

cuartas wrote:What could be the reasoning to drop Dragon Ball having in mind the massive success it's having and with that comes $$$$.
...and I hope it will be a fall like Toriko anime.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:00 pm

Sykin wrote:I like how opinions in this thread have went from
"Toei would never put Super on hiatus!"
to
"Toei might put it on hiatus and bring it back in 2019!"
to
"Toei is literally killing Super and it's never coming back."

I know it's not the same people saying these things but it's pretty funny to see the wide range of differing opinions.
Can't really blame us for #1 or #2, the show is #1 moneymaker for both Toei and Bandai. Ending it now for years to come (instead of a short break) would be an incredibly dumb decision business-wise.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:01 pm

Basaku wrote:
Sykin wrote:I like how opinions in this thread have went from
"Toei would never put Super on hiatus!"
to
"Toei might put it on hiatus and bring it back in 2019!"
to
"Toei is literally killing Super and it's never coming back."

I know it's not the same people saying these things but it's pretty funny to see the wide range of differing opinions.
Can't really blame us for #1 or #2, the show is #1 moneymaker for both Toei and Bandai. Ending it not for years to come (instead of a short break) would be an incredibly dumb decision business-wise.
The only reason why it’s a surprise is because people kept saying it was a dumb business decision if they did.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:05 pm

Kitaro likely already has an episode count, so I don't think we need to worry about it bombing like Toriko, in order to give DB its slot back, as the former was an ongoing manga adaptation.
Last edited by DBZ_Lee on Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:05 pm

What I'm curious now is whether they will hastily wrap things up to set up EOZ in the final one/two Super episodes or just end it as if another arc was coming. If it's the latter, then I expect Super part 2 in 2019 (still set in the 10-years gap), if it's the former, then I guess it's a bigger decision for Toei/Bandai/Toriyama to make where to take the series next. Be it Next Generation series, Future Trunks series or (god forbid) Heroes series which would flop horribly.
DBZ_Lee wrote:I seriously don't want to sacrifice a TV anime for more movies..... it looks like that's how we could end up.
Damn.
Small chance. 2018 movie, even if it has Goku/Vegeta/Cabba telling stories and whatnot, will primarly be set in the past. So hardly a replacement for the ongoing story.
Last edited by Basaku on Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

amuroray
Not-So-Newbie

Post by amuroray » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:06 pm

Thank god. Super has been one massive disappointment with every single arc being of poor quality. If dragonball is to return i want a fresh start with fresh ideas and a new direction. If not just stay cancelled.