Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Post by precita » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:55 pm

Ajay and Herms have been talking on twitter about Super possibly losing its timeslot in March for Toei's new show Kitaro:

https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/948380650238771200

Given the TOP arc will likely end during March, it's suspiciously fitting that Toei seems to have a new show ready to air in its timeslot. Could Super be going on hiatus after the TOP arc ends?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super possibly losing its timeslot or going on hiatus in March?

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:04 pm

I'm not super familiar with how time slots and the like work in Japan but it is possible Super might be going on hiatus or even concluding so the staff working on it can do the movie. It's entirely possible Toei uses the new 2018 movie to launch another sequel show for whatever the new movie sets up.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:09 pm

With all due respect for Ajay, but this whole rumor is based on person's speculation and nothing else no? So... well... could turn out to be the case of course but it's really premature at this stage to even consider it a high possibility

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:21 pm

fuck this. dragon ball is too popular and have too much potential to just end right now. it need to go on at least for more 10 years.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:32 pm

Ajay said it was
AnimeAjay wrote:1000000% speculation
so I still have hope that Super's not vanishing this March. There's also precedent for Toei doing odd things with anniversary projects that don't require them to air on FujiTV, like the first couple seasons of Sailor Moon Crystal (online show) and the Digimon anniversary series (aired on another channel altogether).

Hell, only the 3rd season of Crystal aired on TV. The 4th and 5th are going to be movies and air in theaters.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:40 pm

Do we even know if the Kitaro thing is a tv series? Seems that the only thing that's been announced is "an anniversary project."

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:41 pm

It is not even confirmed to be an anime project so it is way to early to call anything, the evidence of DBS continuing vastly outways the evidence it will end. There is absolutely ZERO correlation with Kitaro and DBS simply not enough information so I am not sure why people are even speculating and that is a massive danger in this community as evidenced by this thread.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:44 pm

If Super goes on a hiatus, it would only be beneficial for the show considering the movie will be taking up a lot of the staff's time.
If they really intend to fix the show, they should take it off the air for around 1 year. In the meanwhile, they could start the pre-production of the next show. My hope is that this really happens, and a new show set after EoZ/manga chapter 519 takes Super's place in 2019. The new show could finally have a great production and schedule, new and better staff, more carefully planned out episodes/arcs with minimal filler and, most importantly, new designs which would dramatically improve the whole show's look. They could either bring back DBZ designs (basically Yuya Takahashi's designs), or make new ones easier to animate like early DBZ, which had less shading and no highlights, or they could use the "Yo! Son Goku and his friends return!" designs, or something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRPRvJ9Sn9A
Hell, they could even go full on-nostalgia and start from episode 292 of DBZ, which would allow them to use the stronger Dragon Ball Z brand. Obviously the show would look different due to new technology, but if they kept the Buu-era designs and brought back the blood and the roughier and grittier look of DBZ, the show would truly feel like the modern Dragon Ball Z continuation we all wanted.

Anyways, I can wait a whole year if it means my favourite show gets fixed. I'm loving Super but I acknowledge its flaws and I hope Toei will find a way to continuously improve the show, and I fear the new movie might hold things back and I wouldn't want to see Super's next arc being mediocre due to the best staff being concentrated on the movie. I also believe this is the best opportunity for Toei to finally ask Yamamuro for new designs more similar to his Buu arc ones, considering Yamamuro won't ever step down from his role, or ask him to at least adjust his new designs furthermore to make them more animation friendly and more similar to DBZ ones to please the fans. I believe Toei should try to go for nostalgia through visual aspects and sound rather than through filling the show's story with fanservice.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:23 pm

If it does on hiatus I'm not sure how much it'll "fix" the show, as they episodes will won't be animated that far ahead of time. Although story ideas/structure can be plotted out better for the next arc.

On the other hand this also likely means there's going to be little to no filler coming up. Kind of a shame as a lot of Super's fillers and slice of life eps are highly enjoyable. After the TOP arc ended I thought we were going to get about 10+ slice of life eps again. But now probably not.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:19 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It is not even confirmed to be an anime project so it is way to early to call anything, the evidence of DBS continuing vastly outways the evidence it will end. There is absolutely ZERO correlation with Kitaro and DBS simply not enough information so I am not sure why people are even speculating and that is a massive danger in this community as evidenced by this thread.
I think this topic should only be talked about if there's some evidence of this happening. Ex: Kitaro is getting a show in March.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:49 pm

I honestly wonder if Super's declining ratings during the TOP have anything to do with this.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Won't matter, I don't think. Someone mentioned in one of the other threads how the show that airs before Super (Monster Hunter) is never even on the top 10 yet it got renewed for a 2nd season. It's all about merchandise sales.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:13 pm

Did we not JUST go threw something like this not to long ago?!

A speculation that Super will be ending, we all got worried/wondering about it and it turned out it was all about nothing. :roll:

This seems to be the same-thing over again until we get official word.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:37 pm

precita wrote:I honestly wonder if Super's declining ratings during the TOP have anything to do with this.
Kai had high ratings but it didn't last and according to an interview they said these kinds of shows live and die by their merchandise. Super's sales have been above their predictions so regardless of the ratings, super is a massive hit.

Super ending isn't an impossible thing but that'd only happen because of them wanting to start a new show after the movie to get even more sales moving as that'd get everyone really excited about it, especially if the movie is good. If that happens I wouldn't be surprised if we get a new show every 100 episodes or so like what Yu-gi-oh and Digimon have done.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:23 am

I'd actually like a hiatus, it would allow the manga and xenoverse franchise some time to catch up, at least partially.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:08 am

CJStriker_CBR wrote:Did we not JUST go threw something like this not to long ago?!

A speculation that Super will be ending, we all got worried/wondering about it and it turned out it was all about nothing. :roll:

This seems to be the same-thing over again until we get official word.
It seems that every arc people are asking if Super is going to end or not.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:21 am

Given that if Dragon Ball Super did go on hiatus it would simply be replaced by another Toei Animation animated series...there really wouldn't be any problem in it happening. At this time, though, who the hell knows. It would be really good if Toei kept producing the series while it took a one year hiatus, though, so as to maintain a production schedule that could improve the quality of the series, though.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:41 am

precita wrote:I honestly wonder if Super's declining ratings during the TOP have anything to do with this.
Super ending (if it is) wouldn’t have much to do with its ratings. It’s been an incredibly steady product in that department. Of course not as popular as it’s predessors.

That said I’ll wait until further information is given since my stance on this is well known and I don’t feel a need to rain gloom and doom down until we have further evidence.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:10 am

TobyS wrote:I'd actually like a hiatus, it would allow the manga and xenoverse franchise some time to catch up, at least partially.
Speaking of manga, this would be a good chance to move Toyotarou into weekly Shonen Jump and get DB back there again.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:23 am

sintzu wrote:
TobyS wrote:I'd actually like a hiatus, it would allow the manga and xenoverse franchise some time to catch up, at least partially.
Speaking of manga, this would be a good chance to move Toyotarou into weekly Shonen Jump and get DB back there again.
Basically a hiatus will be boon to the franchise..
It needs to happen and hopefully it does..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker