Reasons why it was obvious 17 was going to outlast Gohan.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lapislettuce
Banned

Reasons why it was obvious 17 was going to outlast Gohan.

Post by Lapislettuce » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:28 am

Check out the first poster that came out for this arc, 17 in the front with Goku, 17 had more promotion than Gohan had before this arc, Gohan had equal amount of episodes in recruitment arc but only because we needed to see Gohan was back in from after NOT TRAINING at all for years. having 3 saiyans last in the end is too boring and predictible so yeah it was either going to be Gohan or Vegeta. look at promotional material. 17 is always present with Goku, Vegeta, Jiren and Toppo and Gohan is most of the time missing. it's not 17's fault you all had massive expectations for Gohan and random theories that he would have an asspull and defeat Jiren eventhough you all complained about Trunks and 17's power up. now you can all move on. he's OUT and he did go out with a bang. be happy you're not a Tien fan or even Piccolo's.

TheZFighter
Regular

Re: Reasons why it was obvious 17 was going to outlast Gohan.

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:29 am

Came as a surprise to me personally but I'm pleased with how Gohan has done and the way he went out.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:14 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:Check out the first poster that came out for this arc, 17 in the front with Goku, 17 had more promotion than Gohan had before this arc, Gohan had equal amount of episodes in recruitment arc but only because we needed to see Gohan was back in from after NOT TRAINING at all for years. having 3 saiyans last in the end is too boring and predictible so yeah it was either going to be Gohan or Vegeta. look at promotional material. 17 is always present with Goku, Vegeta, Jiren and Toppo and Gohan is most of the time missing. it's not 17's fault you all had massive expectations for Gohan and random theories that he would have an asspull and defeat Jiren eventhough you all complained about Trunks and 17's power up. now you can all move on. he's OUT and he did go out with a bang. be happy you're not a Tien fan or even Piccolo's.
You're delusional if you think Gohan had an equal amount of episode as 17 in the Recruitment arc. He participated in the exhibition, helped recruit the characters, and had several focus episodes. 17 didn't even truly pop up until episode 86. In the anime, Gohan had been training since the rof arc and if that was the only reason then Krillin would have had as much focus as Gohan. The fact that you felt so triggered and personally attacked enough to make a thread about this is kind of pathetic. I don't even care that 17 outlasted Gohan either.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:31 pm

All I have to say here is that I am a fan of Piccolo and I very much enjoyed his role in this arc, with only the reason behind his elimination being a serious black ball as far as he is concerned. Quality wise, I consider 118 to be the highlight of the arc so count me as happy. Tien did get the short end of the stick though, than's true.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:52 pm

kinisking wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote:Check out the first poster that came out for this arc, 17 in the front with Goku, 17 had more promotion than Gohan had before this arc, Gohan had equal amount of episodes in recruitment arc but only because we needed to see Gohan was back in from after NOT TRAINING at all for years. having 3 saiyans last in the end is too boring and predictible so yeah it was either going to be Gohan or Vegeta. look at promotional material. 17 is always present with Goku, Vegeta, Jiren and Toppo and Gohan is most of the time missing. it's not 17's fault you all had massive expectations for Gohan and random theories that he would have an asspull and defeat Jiren eventhough you all complained about Trunks and 17's power up. now you can all move on. he's OUT and he did go out with a bang. be happy you're not a Tien fan or even Piccolo's.
You're delusional if you think Gohan had an equal amount of episode as 17 in the Recruitment arc. He participated in the exhibition, helped recruit the characters, and had several focus episodes. 17 didn't even truly pop up until episode 86. In the anime, Gohan had been training since the rof arc and if that was the only reason then Krillin would have had as much focus as Gohan. The fact that you felt so triggered and personally attacked enough to make a thread about this is kind of pathetic. I don't even care that 17 outlasted Gohan either.
Sometimes you need to understand that just because you're a reasonable and respectful fan doesn't mean the rest of Gohan fans are. most of them are attacking 17 as if 17 knocked Gohan out.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:55 pm

Yeesh I don't want this to be turned in to to a character fandom war, those are the worst.It was obvious #17 is more important n the outline.Not even mad that Gohan got out earlier,is just that it would be better if he was the one facing Dyspo at the beginning.Also are you referring to this poster[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]It wasn't the first one.
Mostly active on discord.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:59 pm

Lapis, this is the moment you are rewarded for being a #17 hardcore fan. Enjoy it. :D

On a more serious note, the poster insinuates that both #17 and Frieza will outlast Vegeta.

Huh.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:04 pm

The gr wrote:It wasn't the first one.
He'a referring to this:Image

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:35 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Sometimes you need to understand that just because you're a reasonable and respectful fan doesn't mean the rest of Gohan fans are. most of them are attacking 17 as if 17 knocked Gohan out.
It is why the DB fanbase is trash. This stupid character fan division thing that has just gone way outta hand since DBS is just pathetic and all this fanboy and girl labelling. We all love DB that is all that should matter! "X character didn't get enough screen time yet Y character did is unfair blah blah blah they didn't deserve it etc" why does it f**king matter? It is like how are you a fan of the franchise in the first place? You can have favourite character(s) but people just take it to next level.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:44 pm

Lapislettuce wrote: Sometimes you need to understand that just because you're a reasonable and respectful fan doesn't mean the rest of Gohan fans are. most of them are attacking 17 as if 17 knocked Gohan out.
Is that something that is happening somewhere else? I haven't seen any of that here, and I honestly hope you're not referring to my post there.

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:55 pm

It was not obvious at all imo
It was easy to imagine it being heavily featured in this tournament, and this happened yet with tons of memorable moments, but aside from marketing, Gohan had slightly less than expected from him, no strong opponent solo elimination, no new form, no memorable final fight
But no, I expected 17 to drop next to 18 and before Vegeta, Frieza letting Goku and Gohan back to back

With 17 in place of gohan now, no one would have nothing to say imo, 17 fans were greatly satisfacted even before The episode aired so if he'd go out he'd still have a Great tournament performance to remember
I feel like something is still missing to gohan return

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:47 pm

17 has been hyped up a lot, but so was Gohan who was also nominated Team Leader, although that didn't amount to much.
He might even outlast Vegeta at this point, and he might play a key part into defeating Jiren because of his endless stamina.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by supercat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:12 pm

Android 17 outlasting Gohan really isn't surprising. Gohan already had plenty of worthy eliminations in conjunction with a moment or two where he had the opportunity to showcase the pinnacle of his strength. Android 17 on the other hand, spent the vast majority of his time wrecking fodders, and there was never any real indication that he had gone full force.

From a power standpoint, there were several implications that place 17 over Gohan, so for him to go as quickly as some had wanted him to wouldn't make sense. Based on feats and statements, 17 was reintroduced with the implication that he was a major powerhouse right from the get-go. Therefore, if he had gone down as things are presently, it would have been even more of a let down.

Gohan also has the same overused redundant nonsense of regressing, rediscovering his motivation, and somehow magically powering up latched onto him, so there's always that lack of mystery that sort of takes away from the excitement. Another rage boost would have been terrible while giving him more moments to shine would have been smeared with the same old cheesy "I have to do this to save everyone!" speech. I'm surprised people don't find his overly heroic nonsense boring.

Android 17's character could still be explored in-depth, as very little of him was shown.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:52 am

I'm a Gohan fan and I have no problem at all with Android 17 outlasting Gohan. Besides Gohan, I was cheering for Android 17 the most from U7. In terms of strength, I thought it was a toss up between Android 17 and Gohan so it makes sense for Android 17 to come out as the stronger one and last this long.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:18 am

There's really no hidden or cryptic reasoning behind #17 lasting long in the Tournament Of Power beyond that Toriyama wanted him to last this long.

potat_lasaro

Post by potat_lasaro » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:04 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:There's really no hidden or cryptic reasoning behind #17 lasting long in the Tournament Of Power beyond that Toriyama wanted him to last this long.
This.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that Toriyama had #17 make it so far? If they were bringing him back for this tournament after having him do nothing but a cameo since the end of the Buu saga, you knew he was going to go far and be important. Heck, when they first announced the Tournament of Power, I expected Gohan to make it to the top 15-20, take out Dyspo in a hard fight and then be defeated. So as a Gohan fan I'm happy with what he got in the tournament, especially after how he's been treated in every DB related work since the end of the Buu saga (absorbed by Buu, defeated easily by that monster in the DBxOPxToriko crossover, BoG and RoF arcs and every thing else in Super until post FT arc). I'd just wish people would stop complaining over Gohan being eliminated.

Gig
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gig » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:54 pm

I can guess that 17 strength has explanation in-universe as he was "naturally" (artificially, to say the truth) super-powerful since his "birth" as a Cyborg. Considering the progresses Frieza (which was a genious who never needed training before) did in 4 months, 17, also "naturally" talented, can have grown a lot during the years, with training.

What was he doing during the Boo saga and BoG saga is a different problem...

Gohan did seem to train only by now and then in the past years. Even when he got his Mystic form back, he probably remained behind 17 imho.

It should also be noticed that Gohan's elimination reminded of the plan he and 17 did try to perform against Toppo a minute before.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:31 pm

...you really like 17 THAT much, don't you?

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:32 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:...you really like 17 THAT much, don't you?
Pretty Much Yea ~~~~~~~ Lapislettuce Does Likes 17 that much and it is Not really any different then many other fans around here that talk allot about their own favorites or on My Comic Book forum CBR how Passionate fans are of their favorite Comic Book Icons.

But indeed it is the Passion for the Likeing of Unique character and their fans that is the Best Part

It is always one of the Grandest aspects of this world that we are apart of, The Fans and how unique their fandom is to a character. We all see the world threw our own Eyes, no one else in history sees things like we do and when a fan experiences the same-thing we all experienced, in this case Dragon Ball and they come out with a unique and loving perceptive of a certain character(s), in this Case Android 17, it is always impressive to see how they express that fandom and try to tell the world why this character is so great threw their eyes. :idea:

Even more so when it's a character that are not the Main Focuses all the time, Yet they hit that Fan on such an Impactful way that they might as well been in their eyes. That is what makes fandom so Amazing, how any character can be Epic like any main character in the Eyes of a fan and then the reaction + reactions affect is the efforts on how those fans present how Great they are cause THEY are the ones that see that like no one else. :wink:

It is one of the Most Fascinating and Really Amazing Things to experience in this field we are apart of, one I Never Grow tired beholding. 8) :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:29 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:...you really like 17 THAT much, don't you?
Pretty Much Yea ~~~~~~~ Lapislettuce Does Likes 17 that much and it is Not really any different then many other fans around here that talk allot about their own favorites or on My Comic Book forum CBR how Passionate fans are of their favorite Comic Book Icons.
By "THAT much", I mean to the point where he or she takes this "I will fight you" attitude to anyone that speaks about 17 in a negative light (example: the original post). Hell, you like Ribranne a lot, but you do so without denigrating others who don't like her, which is ideally how things should be, you know?