How do you feel about Jiren now knowing he made such a huge mistake?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

How do you feel about Jiren now knowing he made such a huge mistake?

Post by Avenant » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:05 pm

Despite his astounding strength and abilities, and excluding whether or not Toppo is eliminated in ep. 126, I believe that Jiren has made one of the biggest mistakes in the ToP. By simply ignoring Goku and company after their first battle and entering his meditation, Jiren was overly confident in his team's ability to knock out the other opponents. Now, when it's down to the wire, only Jiren and Toppo are left, the latter of which is most likely going to be KO'd in the next episode.

Based off of the players still in the tournament during ep. 127, (SPOILERS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evZnlc7QQxQ&t=0s ) that leaves Goku, Vegeta, 17 and (most likely) Frieza to spar against Jiren: a 1v4 match with less than 5 minutes remaining in a tournament where the literal destruction/erasure of one's universe is on the line and a win by majority upon times-up is possible. That is an extremely stupid move, hindsight be damned, regardless of how confident he is in his own abilities and is quite an egregious one at that, if I say so myself.

Jiren may be strong, but he's not very smart, and my appreciation of him has dropped considerably upon this realization. Goku wasn't that dumb when he threw Gohan into the ring during the Cell Games.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Avenant on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Re: Jiren made a huge mistake

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:08 pm

If he gets serious he can one shot all 4 remaining u7 team members out of the ring with 30 seconds but he won't because PLOT requires him to keep goku in the ring until he can go UI again

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:15 pm

I don't think its that he's not smart, I honestly think he just dose not care. Outside of a hand full of fighters, none heres really worth his time even when he's taking it easy. He's only just now tapping into his true power and he's basically invulnerable to everything Goku and Vegeta are throwing at him. The most he's gotten all this time was a little graze on the cheek from UI Goku and he really was not taking the battle seriously at that point.

Hell when it comes to Goku, you could argue that he's deliberately not ringing him out because he's the only real challenge and dose not to waste the opportunity since Goku will be erased once he wins.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:29 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:I don't think its that he's not smart, I honestly think he just dose not care. Outside of a hand full of fighters, none heres really worth his time even when he's taking it easy. He's only just now tapping into his true power and he's basically invulnerable to everything Goku and Vegeta are throwing at him. The most he's gotten all this time was a little graze on the cheek from UI Goku and he really was not taking the battle seriously at that point.

Hell when it comes to Goku, you could argue that he's deliberately not ringing him out because he's the only real challenge and dose not to waste the opportunity since Goku will be erased once he wins.
If he could end it so easily, letting the tournament get so close is an understatedly huge risk when the literal erasure of ones universe is on the line and is a dumb move. And if he doesn't care, he's not a true warrior of "Justice", I would argue. That's trillions of lives he's responsible for, and letting it get this far is not very responsible. He'll realize this when it's too late, but that won't matter then. I'm not saying his character wasn't meant to be flawed, but it's a huge oversight from Belmod and everyone else in U11 to rely so much on Jiren if he didn't care or would take it easy. The smart move is to, for lack of a better definition, shoot first and ask questions later. Ensure the survival of your universe at all costs. Jiren's stupidity will equal their erasure.

Of course, we as the audience know that Goku and company will always pull through, especially when they're down, but Jiren has no precedence for this. He's being a total Oberyn Martell if you ask me!
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: How do you feel about Jiren now knowing he made such a huge mistake?

Post by Amir » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:38 pm

If he loses or even in trouble he is automatically an idiot.
He had endless chances to win this entire tournament by now.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:49 pm

YEap , clearly Jiren spare some eliminations on Goku and vegeta , having them in the ground half sleepy.... bad move , somehow looks like he likes good rivals and that could be a reason I guess, or just over confident and not having a big wish to eliminate rivals , you have to really upset him so he’ll eliminate you , just like hit did
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:54 pm

Avenant wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:I don't think its that he's not smart, I honestly think he just dose not care. Outside of a hand full of fighters, none heres really worth his time even when he's taking it easy. He's only just now tapping into his true power and he's basically invulnerable to everything Goku and Vegeta are throwing at him. The most he's gotten all this time was a little graze on the cheek from UI Goku and he really was not taking the battle seriously at that point.

If he could end it so easily, letting the tournament get so close is an understatedly huge risk when the literal erasure of ones universe is on the line and is a dumb move. And if he doesn't care, he's not a true warrior of "Justice", I would argue. That's trillions of lives he's responsible for, and letting it get this far is not very responsible. He'll realize this when it's too late, but that won't matter then. I'm not saying his character wasn't meant to be flawed, but it's a huge oversight from Belmod and everyone else in U11 to rely so much on Jiren if he didn't care or would take it easy. The smart move is to, for lack of a better definition, shoot first and ask questions later. Ensure the survival of your universe at all costs. Jiren's stupidity will equal their erasure.

Of course, we as the audience know that Goku and company will always pull through, especially when they're down, but Jiren has no precedence for this. He's being a total Oberyn Martell if you ask me!
You make an intreasting point, something I did notice from the start.

Anime Jiren is very different from his manga counterpart. He dose not talk about Justice or protecting others at all and he point blank refuses to act like his fellow Pride Troopers. I dare say while Manga Jiren may be Superman, anime Jiren comes of as a Superman who's grown bored and tired of it all. A hero who seems to have lost interest in...well being a hero. My thinking is that Belmod was banking on Jiren just taking everyone else out in one fell swoop right at the end. The only times he's ever acted in the ToP was when something was getting out of control, like Kale, and only really helped one of his team mates once. Jiren seems to really just be in this for his wish and not much else. What Belmod never banked on was that Jiren may find someone worthy of his interest during the tournament. As I see it, Goku is the first person to really break the boredom of Jiren's OP existence. Also someone he might be able to relate to since Goku is the only one he's come close to opening up to when he told Goku he was looking for something "Beyond Strength".

Thats how I see it anyway.

King13s

Post by King13s » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:00 pm

Manga Jiren, when talking to Belmond, said the same thing 17 did in the anime. If it's his universe's time to be erased, so be it.

Now given that, and Jiren's behavior in the anime, I'm pretty sure he is trying to sort out what is right. By not involving his weird "I can do anything you can do better" power, he is allowing the scales to balance themselves. He has only faught people to stop them, never approach them, never eliminate them.

Toriyama has a plan for Jiren's intentions, as the manga eluded to some goal he had that the Super Dragon Balls can help him with.

Is he dumb, no.
Is his character design dumb, Yes.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:06 pm

King13s wrote:Manga Jiren, when talking to Belmond, said the same thing 17 did in the anime. If it's his universe's time to be erased, so be it.

Now given that, and Jiren's behavior in the anime, I'm pretty sure he is trying to sort out what is right. By not involving his weird "I can do anything you can do better" power, he is allowing the scales to balance themselves. He has only faught people to stop them, never approach them, never eliminate them.

Toriyama has a plan for Jiren's intentions, as the manga eluded to some goal he had that the Super Dragon Balls can help him with.

Is he dumb, no.
He did approach Goku in the one hour special. Thinking about, why did they order him that. No point..

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 pm

I do think he is an idiot... especially if he ends up losing. But I chalk this up to DB's frequent use of plot-induced stupidity.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:30 pm

Pannaliciour wrote:
King13s wrote:Manga Jiren, when talking to Belmond, said the same thing 17 did in the anime. If it's his universe's time to be erased, so be it.

Is he dumb, no.
He did approach Goku in the one hour special. Thinking about, why did they order him that. No point..
They said why. The point was to demoralize the other fighters and take their will to fight. Goku was recognized as an exceptional warrior and Belmod intended for Jiren to make an example out of him. It didn't play out the way he expected it to.

King13s

Post by King13s » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:50 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:

Is he dumb, no.
They said why. The point was to demoralize the other fighters and take their will to fight. Goku was recognized as an exceptional warrior and Belmod intended for Jiren to make an example out of him. It didn't play out the way he expected it to.
Yeah, Jiren, of his own accord has not approached anyone until now, and it's only in response to being approached.

Also I'm waiting on the pay off of that one frame where he was layed out by Vegeta's Final Flash, but stood right back up.

He got knocked down! But he got up again... they're never gonna keep him down.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:19 pm

Amir wrote:If he loses or even in trouble he is automatically an idiot.
He had endless chances to win this entire tournament by now.
He's already a dumbass on the virtue of being a DB character

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:33 pm

This is actually a distracting problem with the arc, yeah.

Even when he first said he planned to leave everything to Toppo and Dyspo, it was obvious there were still multiple opponents who could easily give them trouble. If there's a character-based motivation for being so cavalier, we don't get it.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:34 pm

Despite it all, I am still somewhat hopeful about Jiren's character. They've dropped enough subtle hints to suggest his lack of characterisation might be deliberate and there might be a point to it all. That said, if his interest lies in Goku, he'll need to even the scores ASAP so he can have his moment without feeling like he's putting his universe on the line for no good reason. That means taking care of 17, Vegeta and Freeza (asusming the latter hasn't been forgotten about).

It is concerning how close we're getting to a win by numbers for U7. Characters doing stupid things is a Dragon Ball staple, but while the heroes doing it can at least create tension, the antagonist doing it does nothing but hurt tension.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:01 am

GamerSkull wrote:I do think he is an idiot... especially if he ends up losing. But I chalk this up to DB's frequent use of plot-induced stupidity.
That's exactly what it is. Plot-induced stupidity. Only reason Jiren hasn't mopped the floor with everyone within the 1st 20 minutes.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:34 am

It has always been my view that Jiren wanted this to happen. He wants a good fight, and he'd risk his universe to get one, much like Goku.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Raphael_Z
Beyond Newbie

Post by Raphael_Z » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:43 am

He is acting like any regular Saiyan (or Cell): wait until the opponent finds a last minute power up to make the battle more challenging and exciting even when entire lives are at stake.

They are the PRIDE troopers.

Pride is both a virtue and a capital sin. Dyspo and Toppo (and the rest of their team) made the mistake of underestimating their opponents. They're not meant to be smart, they're meant to be prideful. U11 could have easily won the tournament in the first five minutes if they were less prideful (specially before 8/10 of their teammates are gone and there's only like 4 minutes left and the rival universe can win by stalling for time).

I doubt Jiren will get completely overpowered by Goku and friends but U7 is very likely to win by default since the clock will run out and they will have more fighters (specially if Frieza remains hidden from Jiren).

Jiren might be the strongest of them all but they only need to either stall him or ring him out (which Hit and U6 could have easily done if Hit was smart enough to ask his teammates to destroy the platform once Jiren was paralized but...Idiot Ball) to win, they don't need to outpower him.

No one in the Saiyan Saga outpowered Vegeta and yet they managed to defeat him. Goku and Piccolo never outpowered Raditz yet they managed to defeat him. Goku never outpowered Kid Buu yet he managed to defeat him. In Dragon Ball, teamwork wins fights sometimes.

Jiren's losing for sure.
Last edited by Raphael_Z on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:49 am

I have to agree with the sentiment he just doesn't care. In his eyes Goku was done. Now what I think is interesting that the anime has yet to touch on that the manga introduced was the whole "should U11 be threatened, I'm leaving" comment. That to me seems to shed a sliver of light on his character.

That and this wish he has with the Super Dragonballs. I think the manga will give us a much more interesting development for Jiren

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:04 am

The simple answer is PLOT.
For those who said he doesn't care, did you forget the foreshadowing about his Super Dragon Balls wish? Or what he said to Goku, "I seek what is beyond strength" or something like that.

Tbh this problem is not only present in Jiren. Some other characters have the same issue here so no surprise that universe 7 would wipe the majority of them. Toppo was shown fighting many fodders but somehow they survived without getting eliminated. Even in ep 125 he clearly saw that Frieza is still in the arena but decided to go against 17 first, to let Frieza recover of course lol.