Jiren is...weird

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Re: Jiren is...weird

Post by TysonWine » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:54 am

Amir wrote:At this pointI gave up trying to understand his character. He hints sometimes that he stands for justice like in episode 111, but then all of a sudden he becomes a complete douch, he literally lets Goku and Vegeta do whatever the fuck they want even though he had plenty of chances to eliminate them but suddenly gets pissed and calls them impudent bastards. I mean what did he expect?

He is written inconsistently, and is doing everything possible to reduce his chances to win. And we still don't know what he wants or anything about him, he serves as a big wall for U7 and that's it.

Just what's his deal? I feel like if he would suddenly smash his head into a rock for no reason, I wouldn't be surprised anymore.
This is what irks me the most, and why I'm usually against OP antagonist. They have to self sabotage for the main characters to win. The moment Jiren started meditating mid tournament, I knew the writers didn't know how to make a character so powerful operate in a tournament with so many weaker characters.

It would be one thing if Goku and Vegeta were actually overwhelming Jiren, slowly chipping away, but it seems like he's allowing them to survive at this point. They've been going back and forth for what, four episodes now, and nothing has got accomplished on either side.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:00 am

Different writers do their own thing and it seems like the director of the show doesn't care enough to maintain consistency. Thats been a huge problem in DBS as they show or state things that are shown to be false/retconned a few episodes later. I think each writer just writes in his/her own bubble without much concern about the overall narrative going forward

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:02 am

I don't think the writers see Jiren as a character but only as an obstacle for Goku and Vegeta. I'm mean they literally call him a wall.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:40 am

t0ffe3m4n wrote:Yeah I feel a little let down with how they've developed his character. I even found his comment towards Toppo weird, makes him sound like an arrogant ass.

Hopefully they redeem with somewhat in the next few episodes.
He has been arrogant right from the start. He had every right to make that comment, Toppo threw everything away his entire convictions and lost to Vegeta who showed him the opposite.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:38 pm

Toppo better start choosing better the people he calls "best friends".

Jiren was really a douch.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Kanious wrote:Toppo better start choosing better the people he calls "best friends".

This is a misconception,he is angry at Toppo cuz the latter threw away his justice pride over destruction.He wouldn't even be angry if Toppo loss with out that power up.
Mostly active on discord.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:52 pm

Lmao I loved when he kicked the crap out of Goku mid speech

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:57 pm

OLKv3 wrote:Lmao I loved when he kicked the crap out of Goku mid speech
Me too I was laughing out loud.
    Why are people misinterpreting that scene,he wasn't mad at Toppo being weak, he was mad at Toppo throwing away his honor that accomplish nothing.
    Mostly active on discord.

WittyUsername
    I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:05 pm

I can’t really grasp why exactly Toei has decided to mostly ignore the fact that Jiren is supposed to be a superhero. Are they just afraid that kids would root for the antagonist if he isn’t a jerk?

Lord Frieza
    I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:38 pm

I can't help but think of anime Jiren as a corrupt Superman. Someone who's supposed to stand for justice and hope but who's become indifferent, selfish and arrogant overtime.

The type who thinks "I've saved every planet in the universe at least a hundred times, why should I care?" It would also explain his harshness to Toppo, they may have been good friend back when Jiren was a real hero but now Jiren's become so introverted he just views Toppo as a fool, a well meaning fool, but a fool none the less. It also explains his arrogance towards everyone, they cannot live up to his standards so he looks down on them, even his friends.

Hell he probably only smiled because things are getting interesting, for "him" mind you. I sincerely doubt his universes safety or even the real possibility of him loosing has even entered his head.

Simple put while Jiren is not a "villain" and is meant to be a "hero", it blatantly clear he's not, or better viewed as no longer, a genuinely good person.

Baggie_Saiyan
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:16 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I can’t really grasp why exactly Toei has decided to mostly ignore the fact that Jiren is supposed to be a superhero. Are they just afraid that kids would root for the antagonist if he isn’t a jerk?
    Where is it stated he is supposed to be a "superhero" ? His characterisation has been consistent with what they have presented, he wasn't even present during that mission on U11.

MKCSTEALTH
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:33 pm

He really has gone through some mood shifts so far. I really hope they don't make him raging in anger once he's defeated. That'd be the final nail in the coffin

But since he's the focus going forward I guess we'll have to see for ourselves what he's like

WittyUsername
    I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:48 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
    WittyUsername wrote:I can’t really grasp why exactly Toei has decided to mostly ignore the fact that Jiren is supposed to be a superhero. Are they just afraid that kids would root for the antagonist if he isn’t a jerk?
    Where is it stated he is supposed to be a "superhero" ? His characterisation has been consistent with what they have presented, he wasn't even present during that mission on U11.
    I mean, he’s one of the Pride Troopers, and Toppo (who is constantly preaching about justice) referred to him as a close friend.

Baggie_Saiyan
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:54 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
    Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
    I mean, he’s one of the Pride Troopers, and Toppo (who is constantly preaching about justice) referred to him as a close friend.
    Batman is part of the Justice League but that doesn't stop him being a jerk, and in turn a non traditional superhero, nor also being friends with boy scout Superman himself. Jiren hasn't shown anything close to this justice crap Toppo spouts, he has been arrogant throughout the entire tournament, allowing Goku and Vegeta to use their full power moves, talking shit on Hit for having "assassins pride" and then once all the big guns were gone having the cheek to start meditating. Him talking smack against Toppo is right in his character, and we hardly ever saw Toppo and Jiren actually interact it seems the "friendship" is more one-sided.

Big Black Sayian
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:15 pm

Jiren honestly isn't more of a Superman reference than Saiyaman is. :p

WittyUsername
    I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:30 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
    WittyUsername wrote:
    Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Where is it stated he is supposed to be a "superhero" ? His characterisation has been consistent with what they have presented, he wasn't even present during that mission on U11.
    Batman is part of the Justice League but that doesn't stop him being a jerk, and in turn a non traditional superhero, nor also being friends with boy scout Superman himself. Jiren hasn't shown anything close to this justice crap Toppo spouts, he has been arrogant throughout the entire tournament, allowing Goku and Vegeta to use their full power moves, talking shit on Hit for having "assassins pride" and then once all the big guns were gone having the cheek to start meditating. Him talking smack against Toppo is right in his character, and we hardly ever saw Toppo and Jiren actually interact it seems the "friendship" is more one-sided.
    The thing is, it’s so at odds with his manga counterpart (from what we’ve seen) that I have to wonder if Toei decided to portray him like this specifically because they didn’t want to make him the guy that kids would want to root for.

Polyphase Avatron
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:31 pm

I stick to the interpretation that what he really wants is a good challenging fight.
    Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Jigurashi
    Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:34 pm

The gr wrote:
    Kanious wrote:Toppo better start choosing better the people he calls "best friends".

This is a misconception,he is angry at Toppo cuz the latter threw away his justice pride over destruction.He wouldn't even be angry if Toppo loss with out that power up.
    This is evident by the fact that he didn't shit talk Dyspo for losing. He isn't all that inconsistent tbh. He's always been stoic, but also cocky, and an asshole. At the same time he clearly values justice (at least his own) and fighting for a purpose. Looks down on Hit cause he believes an assassin can't have pride, looks down on Toppo for throwing away his Pride and everything he stood for only to accomplish nothing and lose to someone who stood by his own beliefs. He seems to respect Vegeta whereas he seems more indifferent with Goku who simply fights just to fight and get stronger.

There's nothing really inconsistent about it, and had Toppo lost to Freeza and 17 before throwing away his pride, Jiren wouldn't have said anything. If anything it gave Jiren a bit more to his currently shallow character

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:38 pm

Jiren is to the Pride Troopers what Batman is the Justice League. He may be associated with them by default, but he has his own morals, mentality and principles which while also sometimes meshing with the rest of the group, can appear to sometimes clash with everyone else that is a part of the group.

Melee_Sovereign
    Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:40 pm

TysonWine wrote: The moment Jiren started meditating mid tournament, I knew the writers didn't know how to make a character so powerful operate in a tournament with so many weaker characters.
    I was hoping him meditating hinted at a weakness that he had. Like maybe he has to sit and meditate to control his immense power. But they probably won't go with that angle. If I were writing Super, I would have gone with that angle.