Do you think DBS will better if Gohan or Vegeta replace Goku as protagonist ?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Do you think DBS will better if Gohan or Vegeta replace Goku as protagonist ?

Post by majinwarman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:39 pm

Kataphrut wrote:No because I honestly think Super has done better handling Goku as a protagonist since DB. In GT he was an over-powered bore, in Z he was a reactive plot device. Some iffy characterisation aside, Super's done a good of making him intrinsic to the action.

I'm not gonna lie, I would have liked it if Gohan had taken a more active role as a secondary protagonist and stayed that way throughout the ToP, but Vegeta's worked well in that role(until he took over Gohan in the ToP). But I think as long as we have someone good for Goku to bounce off, him staying on as protagonist will remain fine.
I agree that Goku was better in Super than GT but I don't know about Z yet. You have to give me more time and evidence to convince me about that.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you think DBS will better if Gohan or Vegeta replace Goku as protagonist ?

Post by Arugela » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:43 am

It would be better writing if they simply interchanged who was the protagonist subtly during the show to change perspectives. It would make more realistic and interesting writing. Why should it only have one protagonist. Didn't this happen regularly during the original dragon ball? I mean in a fluent way. Not just special episodes, but part of the writing naturally.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:17 pm

I would have liked for them to do more with Goten (because he wasn't given enough to do in the original series outside of being used for fusion.)

But I think that I would have liked to see Gohan struggling with his return to training again after having been out of it for so long due to his family... in a more prominent MC role than he got.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:54 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:No because I honestly think Super has done better handling Goku as a protagonist since DB. In GT he was an over-powered bore, in Z he was a reactive plot device. Some iffy characterisation aside, Super's done a good of making him intrinsic to the action.

I'm not gonna lie, I would have liked it if Gohan had taken a more active role as a secondary protagonist and stayed that way throughout the ToP, but Vegeta's worked well in that role(until he took over Gohan in the ToP). But I think as long as we have someone good for Goku to bounce off, him staying on as protagonist will remain fine.
I agree that Goku was better in Super than GT but I don't know about Z yet. You have to give me more time and evidence to convince me about that.
Easy. Goku for better and worst is a character in Super. In Z, he’s a plot device.
Arugela wrote:It would be better writing if they simply interchanged who was the protagonist subtly during the show to change perspectives. It would make more realistic and interesting writing. Why should it only have one protagonist. Didn't this happen regularly during the original dragon ball? I mean in a fluent way. Not just special episodes, but part of the writing naturally.
No. The original Dragon Ball was more Goku focused than Super.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:04 pm

HeroR wrote:
majinwarman wrote:

Easy. Goku for better and worst is a character in Super. In Z, he’s a plot device.
Arugela wrote:It would be better writing if they simply interchanged who was the protagonist subtly during the show to change perspectives. It would make more realistic and interesting writing. Why should it only have one protagonist. Didn't this happen regularly during the original dragon ball? I mean in a fluent way. Not just special episodes, but part of the writing naturally.
No. The original Dragon Ball was more Goku focused than Super.
It was way better at seamlessly incorporating the other characters. It was just more action/adventure oriented.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:19 am

Arugela wrote: It was way better at seamlessly incorporating the other characters. It was just more action/adventure oriented.
But it really didn't incorporate the other characters that much. Like almost the entire Red Ribbon Army Saga was all about Goku.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:28 am

HeroR wrote:
Arugela wrote: It was way better at seamlessly incorporating the other characters. It was just more action/adventure oriented.
But it really didn't incorporate the other characters that much. Like almost the entire Red Ribbon Army Saga was all about Goku.
I think he is referring to the characters that were not part of main cast like Android 8.The only goku centric arc in super is arguably bog and top in which he has needless focus unlike OG db where they did not placed goku where he did not belong.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:29 pm

I would be fine if vegeta took a more leading role. I mean his personality cliches can work for him in that role. Give him some character development make him a more likeable person. I can live with that.

Now Gohan on the other hand, the sky is the limit with him. We can have him as a goku replacement and i guarantee the majority of the population will accept him in a positive way.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Last time Gohan took center stage, half the people loved it, the other half HATED it.

I liked it though.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:02 pm

HeroR wrote:
majinwarman wrote:

Plot device is an understatement whenever the plot didn't need him he would be out of commission (dead, injured, on his way "hang in there guys" or laying in bed recovering from a heart disease) and when the plot needed him he'd be there! (Saiyan's kill most of the Z fighters and Goku arrives in the nick of time! Final form Freeza and all of a sudden Goku was healed, Ginyu force are here not long after Goku suddenly arrives!)

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:11 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
HeroR wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I agree that Goku was better in Super than GT but I don't know about Z yet. You have to give me more time and evidence to convince me about that.
Plot device is an understatement whenever the plot didn't need him he would be out of commission (dead, injured, on his way "hang in there guys" or laying in bed recovering from a heart disease) and when the plot needed him he'd be there! (Saiyan's kill most of the Z fighters and Goku arrives in the nick of time! Final form Freeza and all of a sudden Goku was healed, Ginyu force are here not long after Goku suddenly arrives!)
So, when the bad guys are winning, Goku is gone. But when you need to beat them, Goku is there except for Cell when Gohan beat him or when everyone helped beat Vegeta.
Majinwarman

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:17 am

majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
HeroR wrote:
So, when the bad guys are winning, Goku is gone. But when you need to beat them, Goku is there except for Cell when Gohan beat him or when everyone helped beat Vegeta.
Goku was constantly sideline in Z to keep the plot going. If he was around from the beginning, Nappa wouldn't have slaughtered everyone, so he was made to be really late. He probably could have beating Freeza before he went into his final form, so he got hurt and was in the healing tank until Freeza went into his final form. In the Android Saga, he could have destroyed 19 and 20 without making the same mistakes as Vegeta, so he got sick. If he went into the the time chamber first, he would have killed Semi-Perfect Cell, so naturally he let Vegeta go first.

Yeah, he was plot device.
Kanassa wrote:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:27 am

Next series needs to be EOZ so Goku and Vegeta are retired to the bahamas so Gohan, Trunks, Goten, Pan and Uub can be the new heroes.

It will be called, "Dragonball: The Next Generation" and it will be glorious.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:25 am

precita wrote:Next series needs to be EOZ so Goku and Vegeta are retired to the bahamas so Gohan, Trunks, Goten, Pan and Uub can be the new heroes.

It will be called, "Dragonball: The Next Generation" and it will be glorious.
I think that will happen but it will a slow process to get the fans prepared for it to happen.
Majinwarman

GohanHiddenPowers

Post by GohanHiddenPowers » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:47 am

precita wrote:Next series needs to be EOZ so Goku and Vegeta are retired to the bahamas so Gohan, Trunks, Goten, Pan and Uub can be the new heroes.
Yep. I can see Gohan, Vegeta, Goku, being in the front line, with Uub, Goten, and Pan participating more, but without obfuscating the veteran characters.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:58 am

Can I just say that Gohan is a terrible shonen protagonist, and I think his boring performance this arc has really solidified that idea.

Gohan isn't a bad character, however, when his actually fighting, his usually one of the least engaging warriors personality wise. He doesn't have Vegeta's cockiness or Goku's charm and good humour to him, his just a straight faced bad ass, and rather dull one at that.

Gohan shone at his best as a character in Super when he wasn't in the limelight as the shonen protagonist, Gohan retiring was easily the best thing that ever happened to his character, namely because it actually fits the motivations of his character.

If they were going to replace Goku, I would say that Vegeta and Piccolo would probably be the strongest personalities to fill that gap, since Vegeta and Piccolo do mesh off each other really well comedically, but also in serious and dire situations, making me think that them being in the limelight could be potentially interesting to watch.

If Gohan was to rise to prominence again(for some stupid reason), I think a lot of focus should also by natural extension be placed upon Piccolo, because Piccolo, unlike Gohan, is someone with the constant drive to get stronger that is necessary for the main protagonist of espicially current Dragonball to have.