For those who dislike Super, would've been better with Kikuchi or Yamamoto score?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

For those who dislike Super, would've been better with Kikuchi or Yamamoto score?

Post by SuperCyan2 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:25 am

This includes myself and yes, I would say that Super would have been enjoyable at least with a score by Shunsuke Kikuchi (the synthesized tunes from the JPN DB games would do for me) or Kenji Yamamoto's remixes. I know, Yamamoto is a music thief but I loved Kai because of his works and the video games.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Re: For those who dislike Super, would've been better with Kikuchi or Yamamoto score?

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:29 am

Kai had the worst soundtrack of any Dragon Ball series ever. It was so plain and boring. Not melodic at all. Its 1930s sounding horns were awful too.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: For those who dislike Super, would've been better with Kikuchi or Yamamoto score?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:42 am

I enjoy Super's Goku Black-ToP arc OST better than the Kikuchi soundtrack. In fact, I never liked that OST. Yamamoto would have probably done better than what we got though. Dude was a thief, but a thief with good taste. That said, it would't impact my opinion over the series.
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Kai had the worst soundtrack of any Dragon Ball series ever. It was so plain and boring. Not melodic at all. Its 1930s sounding horns were awful too.
Are you also referring to the Saiyan-Namek OST with Yamamoto? Because the Kai soundtrack, at least to me, was only dreadful when they replaced it in the Android saga and Final Chapters.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:43 am

Marginally, but not really. Sumitomo has some good tracks. (Recap, Birth of a God) but not enough to improve the writing in my eyes.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:11 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Kai had the worst soundtrack of any Dragon Ball series ever. It was so plain and boring. Not melodic at all. Its 1930s sounding horns were awful too.
The Kikuchi score was butchered in Kai 1.0 as Toei just randomly threw in Kikuchi Z BGMs into it without a care in the world.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:16 pm

Kikuchi's score wasn't​very good at all. It made DBZ sound like it came out in the 70's or something, it's incredibly dreary and repetitive.

So I'd go with Yamamoto.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:20 pm

Post U6 Tournament soundtrack is the best in the franchise history. Every single track feels epic. Even some of the previous ones from Kai 2.0 are awesome.

So Super and Kai 2.0 Music > Anything else.

Which means i'd still take Sumitomo over anyone else

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:23 pm

I think what hurts Super the most is the writing and acting, something the dub has greatly improved for me.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:23 pm

Bullza wrote:Kikuchi's score wasn't​very good at all. It made DBZ sound like it came out in the 70's or something, it's incredibly dreary and repetitive.

So I'd go with Yamamoto.
So much this and Yamamoto may have been a thief, but his rearrangements were fantastic and always seemed to divert from the original tracks in interesting and exciting ways.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:27 pm

Bullza wrote:Kikuchi's score wasn't​very good at all. It made DBZ sound like it came out in the 70's or something, it's incredibly dreary and repetitive.
You gargle your mouth and take that back!
The world is your's.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:34 pm

sintzu wrote:I think what hurts Super the most is the writing and acting, something the dub has greatly improved for me.
The Funimation dub? I'd agree it made Super somewhat more entertaining than originally for me. Funi hired Brian Drummond to play Duplicate Vegeta and that was easily one of the best parts of the show but it wasn't even something Toei made themselves. lol

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Post by IGhostUlt » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:35 pm

Yeah I hated kikuchis old DBZ soundtrack. Like you guys said, the sound would be too outdated as it also was in the 90s when DBZ was airing. As for Yamamoto, he would've been great, but the only thing wrong with him is of course his stealing. So I think the current soundtrack is fine.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:20 pm

I think those that dislike Super would dislike it regardless of the music

But Supers music since the Goku Black Arc has been fantastic. Some songs have been overplayed (Ultimate Battle, anyone?) but I've thoroughly enjoyed the soundtrack to Super

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:24 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:
sintzu wrote:I think what hurts Super the most is the writing and acting, something the dub has greatly improved for me.
The Funimation dub? I'd agree it made Super somewhat more entertaining than originally for me. Funi hired Brian Drummond to play Duplicate Vegeta and that was easily one of the best parts of the show but it wasn't even something Toei made themselves. lol
Yeah, I feel like it's a bit more serious than the original Japanese version.

I haven't seen all of it so maybe there are parts just as bad but what I did see was an improvement.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:06 pm

A little as in I would have watched every episode for music alone. But, I would still call it a bad series.

Oh, and I'm referring to the Kikuchi score not the dreadful Yamamoto score. That'd be ideal. But, I would take even Yamamoto over the video gamey and simply unfitting Sumitomo crap.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:44 pm

Good music doesn't write or animate a show better than bad music, so people will still dislike Super regardless.

As for me, I rather keep Super's score in place as Kikuchi's score, as much as I like it, is far too vintage for a modern show, and they don't belong together. Most of the bad Super score comes from the retellings which I normally skip, and things got better since the future saga.

I never heard a single track from Yamamoto's score, so I won't comment on his work.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:53 pm

Torturephile wrote:Good music doesn't write or animate a show better than bad music, so people will still dislike Super regardless.

As for me, I rather keep Super's score in place as Kikuchi's score, as much as I like it, is far too vintage for a modern show, and they don't belong together. Most of the bad Super score comes from the retellings which I normally skip, and things got better since the future saga.

I never heard a single track from Yamamoto's score, so I won't comment on his work.
Am I missing something here? People talking as if Super was a failure. Super has been one of the most successful animes in history and has been widely acclaimed and regarded for the most part.

Anyways, I agree that some of the scores in Super sound way too classical (old) It doesnt match.

The Bruce Falconer soundtrack will always be the greatest soundtrack that fit the epicness of Dragon Ball to a tee and kicked everything up notches to another level.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:56 pm

MKCSTEALTH wrote:I think those that dislike Super would dislike it regardless of the music

But Supers music since the Goku Black Arc has been fantastic. Some songs have been overplayed (Ultimate Battle, anyone?) but I've thoroughly enjoyed the soundtrack to Super
Ultimate Battle theme hasn't been played enough. It's by and large the greatest theme/score in Super.

I really wish the scores in Super were more consistently melodic and modern sounding

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:09 pm

The music probably doesn't even enter my top 10 things i dislike about Super.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:58 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
MKCSTEALTH wrote:I think those that dislike Super would dislike it regardless of the music

Ultimate Battle theme hasn't been played enough. It's by and large the greatest theme/score in Super.

I really wish the scores in Super were more consistently melodic and modern sounding

I enjoy Ultimate Battle, I just wish it was saved for the really big moments. The Kamehameha against Kefla and Aniraza were great. But against Kefla as SSB and even Goku and Vegeta charging Jiren I felt it wasn't needed