Is it up to fans to headcanon how Goku and Vegeta can regain all their stamina in 20 seconds?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: Is it up to fans to headcanon how Goku and Vegeta can regain all their stamina in 20 seconds?

Post by Cetra » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:03 pm

There is no headcanon thing about this. The show already established "oh x is already so exhausted, yet he does that, this battle is pushing him beyond his limits" thing. It is already, no matter how illogical it physically might be the excuse for this. Like some super-adrenalin that keeps them up and helps them fighting.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Is it up to fans to headcanon how Goku and Vegeta can regain all their stamina in 20 seconds?

Post by Saturnine » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:14 pm

t0ffe3m4n wrote:
Saturnine wrote:I'll grudgingly admit that this is GT level crap writing. Like when base Goku kept getting up again and again against Baby Vegeta. It's a truly Toei thing.
When did that happen? Kid Goku went Super Saiyan 3 in their first two fights and was beaten handily both times. The only 'bad writing' you can attribute to that is how Baby was seemingly opposed to just finishing him off, particularly the second time.
I re-watched that stuff quite recently, and actually base Goku kept getting up, and Baby kept putting him down, but never finishing him off and making him die. With such a huge difference in power not letting Goku die was just bad writing, nothing more, nothing less.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:22 pm

I'd like to say it's fine because it's a situation where everything is on the line and they have to survive so they can push themselves in a way they normally wouldn't be able to, but it's gone way overboard at this point.
No excuses, it's just bad.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:56 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:DBS episode 67:

Zamasu turns into the universe

Goku attempts to go blue, reverts INSTANTLY and same thing happens to vegeta because they had used up all their energy prior.

Now in this arc, they use up all their energy and recover it within seconds and the worst part is that writers try to shove it down our throats
" Goku is SO exhausted" " Vegeta has NOTHING left!" and then contradict themselves 10 seconds later.

As for the point about Vegeta being all bark. In episode 127, Jiren compliments Vegeta's punch and states " I can see how you beat Toppo" which would imply vegeta is NO Weaker than he was when he fought toppo. Getting knocked out means nothing cause they pop back into it instantly.
Jiren tells Vegeta that he can not defeat him with these wounds.
That is, Jiren implies that although Vegeta is able to use his '' new Blue '', he is still injured and unable to use his full power

Jiren also suggested that Vegeta actually got a power up in the fight against Toppo and so is stronger but does not mean he has recovered
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:I don't think they regain stamina that quickly, they just keep pushing themselves really hard cause they will be erased if they don't. We saw how quicly they get knocked out of their forms now, it takes just a kick from Jiren for Goku to be back to base, that probably means that they're not using SSB to full power
Vegeta was talking a big game but none of his attacks actually did anything. The most he managed to do was kick Jiren back during a punch flurry before they got overwhelmed again.
Exactly, it's just all bark and no bite
As I said, Jiren says that Vegeta can not defeat him with these wounds, so apparently Vegeta is really hurt and can not use his full power

darzap
Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:47 pm

In my opinion, this is just the Dragon Ball recipe at work: epic battles with epic beatdowns, initially, then a powerup and a victory, then the next opponent, until the final villain comes along. The only issue with this, is that they have created this constraint of everything happening in 48 minutes. They solve that by throwing logic out of the window and still following their recipe, even though, it makes zero sense, to do, what they did in other arcs, that spanned over weeks in-universe, in this 48-minute tournament. All the Zen-Kai boosts in the Freeza Arc only made sense, because they were able to heal between the fights. The cell saga solved this problem by introducing the RoSaT, a literal plot-device to circumvent time constraints, and during the Boo arc, they just used all sorts of arbitrary new elements to introdcue power-ups (Majin-possession, introduction of a new form of SSJ without any foreshadowing, introduction of fusions, old-kai potential unlock).
And now they've locked themselves out of those possibilities right at the start: 48 minute tournament, no outside interference, no Senzu-beans. But because they still the urge to make every fight look important (Vegeta and Goku went SSB vs. the Trio of Dangers) and they can't think of any other way to write a story, then the way they've done all the time, they just ignore the issue and declare that people recover by fighting 30 in-universe-seconds.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:24 am

Maybe they will throw out something and say 17 has been using his infinite stamina to give them some when nobody was looking. Or invisibly. Maybe that is the reason they have him.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:26 am

It's like in Xenoverse 2, when you lose the stamina, the character can't do crap for some seconds, then he's up and ready to go.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:36 am

If Goku needed one minute to regain his full strength as a SSJ3, then it's not out of the realm of possibility that with the better training Goku and Vegeta have being under the tutelage of Whis, with the extensive teaching of Ki control, that they can recover their energy just as fast as when they lose it.

Also... this is Dragon Ball. A story that prides itself on occasionally using nonsense to move the plot forward.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:53 am

Lord Beerus wrote:If Goku needed one minute to regain his full strength as a SSJ3, then it's not out of the realm of possibility that with the better training Goku and Vegeta have being under the tutelage of Whis, with the extensive teaching of Ki control, that they can recover their energy just as fast as when they lose it.

Also... this is Dragon Ball. A story that prides itself on occasionally using nonsense to move the plot forward.
Goku thought he needed a minute. He didn't, he needed more.

My headcanon is that nobody in the stands really knows what the fuck they're talking about.

Lek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lek » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 am

Doctor. wrote:My headcanon is that nobody in the stands really knows what the fuck they're talking about.
My thoughts exactly. :clap:

Also: Why do so many people think stamina = ki? I'm starting to believe that a decade of Dragon Ball videogames has lead everyone to believe that the characters literally have a ki-bar that can be empty, when this is just an arbitrary limitation for games. Perhaps being out of stamina is more like being out of breath and they just need a moment to catch themselves again.

Maybe someone who's more familiar with Wuxia might be able to explain this, but isn't ki a constant flow within the person that can't really run dry?

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:50 am

These guys are multiuniversal busters, MFTL, can withstand soulfuck abilities, can actually destroy matter erasing energy (SSG3Vegeta), are so strong they could shake infinity (the void is infinite nothingness), and you all are throwing fits because Goku and Vegeta are recovering a LITTLE BIT of energy within seconds.... LOL it's honestly baffling to me why this is an issue. They aren't even at full power. Goku can't even go past kaioken x1 anymore and has made it clear they can recover some energy even if its just for a little time. Has anyone every worked out before? You could be doing something at full strength and need to stop cause you can't go on at the moment, rest for not even half a minute, and you can keep going at that same intensity, but it won't be as long, for the same amount of reps, etc. But, at some point, you really can't go on. Next episode has Vegeta primarily in base form and the spoilers have made it clear Goku is sitting out the majority of the episode (or at least the 2nd half since episode titles tend to always be about the 2nd half lol). Demi gods recovering a little energy relative to what they have within seconds =/= not plausible??? Come on guys.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

NaosZ

Post by NaosZ » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:46 pm

Lek wrote:
Doctor. wrote:My headcanon is that nobody in the stands really knows what the fuck they're talking about.
My thoughts exactly. :clap:

Also: Why do so many people think stamina = ki? I'm starting to believe that a decade of Dragon Ball videogames has lead everyone to believe that the characters literally have a ki-bar that can be empty, when this is just an arbitrary limitation for games. Perhaps being out of stamina is more like being out of breath and they just need a moment to catch themselves again.

Maybe someone who's more familiar with Wuxia might be able to explain this, but isn't ki a constant flow within the person that can't really run dry?
You are right.
As a martial artist, I think there is a frequent misunderstanding about fighting. A lot of people still believe that fighting ability= raw power (power level) and/or ki = stamina. Your comparison with video games and ki-bars is very fitting. Those are obviously an oversimplification of what fighting actually is. There are many other factors involved, other than strength and stamina.
To answer your question briefly, being out of ki isn't possible as long as you are alive. It can become increasingly difficult to effectively use it as one gets increasingly tired, and I think this is what's happening in the ToP. But a capable fighter, though exhausted, can still use some tricks, such as changing the way in which he is fighting and coming up with something different (e.g. Goku's Ultra Instinct or Vegeta's new SSB form).

I don't find it hard to believe that Goku and Vegeta are still able to use their transformations after being hurt or temporarily knocked out, and I think it's clear that it's becoming more and more difficult for them to fight at their full power as the tournament approaches the end.

The ToP audience always pointing out how tired and hopeless our fighters are might be annoying, but I feel it's just meant to emphasize how Goku & co. are doing everything they can, despite their exhaustion, because survival is at stake. In the end, I think it would be a lot more annoying if someone was constantly explaining why and how anything happened.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:38 pm

Pfft. Since "breaking their shells/limits", Goku and Vegeta now are like Superman with his healing power with this quick as hell stamina regeneration. Not sure how I feel about it.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:34 pm

Future Trunks Super Saiyan Rage and Vegeta's Ascended Super Saiyan Blue irk me but that's because there's no explanation in place. This stamina re-healing just doesn't make sense at all but I'll just ignore it
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:51 pm

I don't really see it as regaining all their stamina. They get enough to transform, but it's a multiplier and they don't have a lot to multiply.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:01 am

Lord Beerus wrote:If Goku needed one minute to regain his full strength as a SSJ3, then it's not out of the realm of possibility that with the better training Goku and Vegeta have being under the tutelage of Whis, with the extensive teaching of Ki control, that they can recover their energy just as fast as when they lose it.

I hate this excuse. Just because they did it in the past, it doesnt make it okay to do it now.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:09 am

It was established by Toriyama in the movie interviews that Saiyans get stronger as the fight goes on. Can even surpass their enemies in the middle of battle. TOEI just continues that.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:52 am

And it's not like the Gods haven't repeatedly over/underestimated what their fighters are capable of throughout this tournament, Beerus and Whis included. They couldn't even tell Vegeta was still alive until they had line of sight on him. Beerus in particular has repeatedly undersold fighters and been shown up, like sleeping on Roshi in 105 or declaring Caulifla just a brawler in 11..3? Since we saw Vegeta was still in some kind of fighting condition, although injured, it seems fairly clear to me he was just wrong again.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:44 am

There's a huge difference between stamina and Injury. Goku and Vegeta don't have wounds ? It's absurd as Jiren states Vegeta Is covered In them but its meaningless In Super. It's nothing like the beatdown Kid Buu gave Vegeta and that's the problem. Everytime Buu punched or attacked Vegeta, the viewer felt the blow and pain. Its the opposite with Jiren, everyone rushes In straight after the assault and then we hit the boring repeat stage again.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:00 am

This is why Buu, because of his healing powers, objectively would have been a better choice for the tournament than Frieza from a writing standpoint. He could have done pretty much everything Frieza has done thus far, but also could have been a healer, essentially fixing the whole problem of characters getting fucked up and being at full power mere seconds later.