Tie-in between Super, the movie and the next series?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Generico Garbagio
Beyond Newbie

Tie-in between Super, the movie and the next series?

Post by Generico Garbagio » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:06 am

Hello. I was just curious recently with Jiren's backstory popping up out of nowhere, so I've been wondering about this:

Do you think there might be a link between Super's end, Jiren's backstory, the conclusion of the Tournament of Power and the movie, and perhaps even the next series, if there is one? Like, here's an idea of something that could happen:

[spoiler]We see Jiren's parents and friends and teacher get killed by "a villain", but the villain is just being a generic shadow. I saw some people thinking it might've been a version of Goku Black (I think not.) I do wonder, however, could it be a Saiyan? Like the Saiyan from the upcoming movie...? It would make it really easy to tie the movie to Super, and it would especially make it easy to go ahead with a future series like: DRAGON BALL UNIVERSES. So everyone would travel across the universes, create a free trade agreement, etc.[/spoiler]

Just a random thought, but I like to read the kind of theories you guys have sometimes. What do you think?

If you did read it please tell me how.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Tie-in between Super, the movie and the next series?

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:16 am

While I like the idea of spinoffs surrounding the other DBS universes, I don't think Jiren's backstory flashback should be taken as a sign of anything yet. I don't think the "evildoer" is meant to be anything relevant at this stage, certainly not Goku Black or a Saiyan.

It has increased the chances of that being the focus of a hypothetical Universe 11 spinoff (unfortunately sinking my proposed spinoff manga, "A Day in the Life of Dyspo"), but at this point, I'd wait and see how Super ends and how the movie goes before delving into any serious speculation. Those are more likely to set the direction for the franchise going forward.