Toriyama's UI design.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:22 pm

Re: Toriyama's UI design.

Post by Rebel Instinct » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:21 pm

CaroKami wrote:Okay, people think it's an incredibly lazy design. How would you guys have done it? Serious question.

Changing the hair color works, it sells. I'll admit, when I first saw this new form, I thought it was simply a Super Saiyan God recolor, and it probably is, but again, it sells. Kids don't have a problem with this.
Personally, I would've liked Ultra Instinct to have purely stayed a technique or a state of mind rather than have a form attached to it. Ultra Instinct is supposed to be this zenith of martial skill, where the user is so skilled and experienced that he no longer requires the use of his conscious mind to react and fight during battle. I'd have had Goku achieve this state purely as a result of all of his collective accumulated training and experience, perhaps with the help of his unique personality. As a state of mind, it wouldn't be tied to any form whatsoever and could be utilized with any transformation he wants - from base to Blue.

Ultra Instinct Omen/Sign came the closest to what I'd have liked to see out of Ultra Instinct. Just a simple change in aura, stance or expression that indicated that Goku was using the technique. Even a silver glint in his eyes would be fine as a visual metaphor for Goku's state of consciousness. From what we know so far, neither the Gods or the Angels require a new form to use the technique, so having Goku achieve it through a new form rather than through achieving the proper mindset through training feels strange. I realize that it'd be difficult to market merchandise for a "state of mind" and the new silver haired form makes that easy. Obviously, the silver haired Ultra Instinct will still sell like hotcakes so it doesn't really matter in the end, but I definitely would have preferred the former from a storytelling standpoint.
The post-Super fandom has ruined my love for Dragon Ball.
LightBing wrote:Most of what's going on here isn't speculation, it's judgments and conclusions. It's the reason why the manga thread is closed, it's the reason why VegettoEX warned people not to do what they are doing a few pages ago.

It's people riveting on their chance to feel validated in their opinion; to attack the "manga fans" (whatever that means) to prove themselves. My assumption is that everyone here is a Dragon Ball fan, capable of having discussions as equals and not segregate ourselves into little sectors trying to be the "superior faction", ignoring arguments, politeness and even common sense (like having all the information at hand).

Clearly I am mistaken.

I wish we were having fun making up theories or cracking jokes.

User avatar
TheMikado
I Live Here
Posts: 4872
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:28 pm

Re: Toriyama's UI design.

Post by TheMikado » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:36 pm

Rebel Instinct wrote:
CaroKami wrote:Okay, people think it's an incredibly lazy design. How would you guys have done it? Serious question.

Changing the hair color works, it sells. I'll admit, when I first saw this new form, I thought it was simply a Super Saiyan God recolor, and it probably is, but again, it sells. Kids don't have a problem with this.
Personally, I would've liked Ultra Instinct to have purely stayed a technique or a state of mind rather than have a form attached to it. Ultra Instinct is supposed to be this zenith of martial skill, where the user is so skilled and experienced that he no longer requires the use of his conscious mind to react and fight during battle. I'd have had Goku achieve this state purely as a result of all of his collective accumulated training and experience, perhaps with the help of his unique personality. As a state of mind, it wouldn't be tied to any form whatsoever and could be utilized with any transformation he wants - from base to Blue.

Ultra Instinct Omen/Sign came the closest to what I'd have liked to see out of Ultra Instinct. Just a simple change in aura, stance or expression that indicated that Goku was using the technique. Even a silver glint in his eyes would be fine as a visual metaphor for Goku's state of consciousness. From what we know so far, neither the Gods or the Angels require a new form to use the technique, so having Goku achieve it through a new form rather than through achieving the proper mindset through training feels strange. I realize that it'd be difficult to market merchandise for a "state of mind" and the new silver haired form makes that easy. Obviously, the silver haired Ultra Instinct will still sell like hotcakes so it doesn't really matter in the end, but I definitely would have preferred the former from a storytelling standpoint.

Exactly it should have been 100% technique based. I wouldn’t even make it a form.

He’s how I would have implemented it to justify the white form though.

UI as a technique would allow the users body to respond the best in every situation, because saiyans have the ability to transform I would also give it the ability to burst any SSJ transformation they have currently achieved.

I.e he can burst SSJ or SSB or KK or SSG. The net effect is that in the unmastered form he looks like omen but in a rain bowed kinda of aura as he’s bursting so fast.

In mastered, even though I hate the white I could justify it by saying his body has mastered the ability to maintain all the transformations simultaneously. The effect of which is the combining of all colors equaling white. Further I would emphasize this through aura changes or sparkles in the outline of the white aura.

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 4039
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Dragon World
Contact:

Re: Toriyama's UI design.

Post by emperior » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:11 pm

White/Silver works very well with the concept behind Ultra Instinct, and gives off the "Zen" state Goku is supposed to be in when using the form. I would have had no problem if UI came with no physical change AT ALL but I understand the reasoning behind a visual change.
As long as it looks good when animated, I'm fine with it. I hope the hair will be very flowy in motion though, as I love flowy hair.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Toriyama's UI design.

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:40 pm

Saiyans aren't inherently Gods. As we saw with Toppo he needed to transform in order to use GoD power.

Furthermore we don't know if GoDs and Angel have had form changes.

UI being a form makes sense, much the fact Saiyans have had forms for everything.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1136
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:34 am

Re: Toriyama's UI design.

Post by Neon Z » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:34 am

Hawk9211 wrote:But,that's toriyama,he has a habit of reusing designs gohan resembles yamcha more than goku.His one shot lady red has a rapist that resembles world tournament announcement.Along with other reuses.
He did derivative designs, the issue here is that the drawing itself is also pretty much traced over an old one. Vegeta's and Goku's Toriyama SSB line art weren't just Toriyama redrawing old illustrations with clothing and color tweaks, even though it was just an hair color change. They were all new drawings. This UI drawing just has different eyes and color, but everything else was clearly directly based on the old SSG illustration itself.
CaroKami wrote:Okay, people think it's an incredibly lazy design. How would you guys have done it? Serious question.
I think Yamamuro's take on it is good. It's just the original Toriyama design which was lazy. The slightly raised hair gives a different silhouette from both base and SSJ.
Rebel Instinct wrote:Ultra Instinct Omen/Sign came the closest to what I'd have liked to see out of Ultra Instinct. Just a simple change in aura, stance or expression that indicated that Goku was using the technique. Even a silver glint in his eyes would be fine as a visual metaphor for Goku's state of consciousness. From what we know so far, neither the Gods or the Angels require a new form to use the technique, so having Goku achieve it through a new form rather than through achieving the proper mindset through training feels strange. I realize that it'd be difficult to market merchandise for a "state of mind" and the new silver haired form makes that easy. Obviously, the silver haired Ultra Instinct will still sell like hotcakes so it doesn't really matter in the end, but I definitely would have preferred the former from a storytelling standpoint.
The angels all have silver hair though. I also prefer it giving unique visual traits since it avoids the possibility of stacking SSJ with it.

User avatar
Xehanort
Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:34 am
Location: Post-apocalyptic Future
Contact:

Re: Toriyama's UI design.

Post by Xehanort » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:24 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Image
I'm not a fan of Toriyama's design at all, and i'm a HUGE Toriyama fanboy, but this image looks f***ing awesome! :o
"I think it's only fair that I should warn you guys. You dont stand a chance against me.", Future Trunks

User avatar
Spider-Man
Regular
Posts: 512
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:36 pm

Re: Toriyama's UI design.

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:08 am

I don't find Toriyama UI design that bad however I do wish it was a technique instead of a transformation.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6276
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Toriyama's UI design.

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:22 am

Spider-Man wrote:I don't find Toriyama UI design that bad however I do wish it was a technique instead of a transformation.
But it is a technique, only that for Goku he has to transform in order to use it. Unless you wanted Goku to use it wihout transforming, but then how would ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ we know he is using the Ultra Instinct technique?

User avatar
Spider-Man
Regular
Posts: 512
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:36 pm

Re: Toriyama's UI design.

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:32 am

Grimlock wrote: But it is a technique, only that for Goku he has to transform in order to use it. Unless you wanted Goku to use it wihout transforming, but then how would ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ we know he is using the Ultra Instinct technique?
What I meant is that UI should have purely stayed a technique rather than a form attached to it like what Rebel Instinct said "it is supposed to be this zenith of martial skill, where the user is so skilled and experienced that he no longer requires the use of his conscious mind to react and fight during battle. I'd have had Goku achieve this state purely as a result of all of his collective accumulated training and experience, perhaps with the help of his unique personality"

User avatar
PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here
Posts: 2166
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Re: Toriyama's UI design.

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:37 am

Like many others, I prefer Yamamuro's design's differences; it helped differentiate it from just being another recolour and making it stand out.

The differences were subtle but noticeable, along the lines of the original Super Saiyan form and SS4.

However, I think Toriyama's design isn't bad, per say, just a bit of a letdown compared to Yamamuro.

User avatar
OmegaZenki
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:16 pm

Re: Toriyama's UI design.

Post by OmegaZenki » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:06 pm

It looks cool but hardly makes any sense. It was a technique but apparently its now another transformation. Just like SSG, it looks like a recolored Teen Goku.

Post Reply