Toriyama's UI design.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Toriyama's UI design.

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:49 pm

It seems a lot of people are mad about the new design and think he has regressed.

But,are we forgetting about previous and how simple were the design's of ssj1,grades and ssj2.They even make a joke about no difference between ssj1 and ssj2.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Toriyama's UI design.

Post by Lionel » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:56 pm

Aesthetically it looks garish to me. I don't think the look compliments Goku's skin complexion or general appearance all too well. But then, I'm someone who hasn't cared for Super Saiyan since the Cell arc so maybe I'm not the best person to be critiquing transformations.
Last edited by Lionel on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:05 pm

Yeah but this is really pushing it now.

The original Super Saiyan was simply but still creative. Super Saiyan 3 looked notably different. Super Saiyan 4 looked alright but it was significantly different.

Super Saiyan God was also simple but it was different with the new hair colour, new aura and new physique. Super Saiyan Blue was just Super Saiyan but it was now Blue.

Now you have this Mastered Ultra Instinct and it's just a drawing of Base Goku with white hair. It literally just looks like his Super Saiyan God drawing except they swapped the colour.

One recolour is alright but three is just lazy. It looks good in the anime so I don't really have a problem with it but yeah it's very lazy.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:05 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:But,are we forgetting about previous and how simple were the design's of ssj1,grades and ssj2.They even make a joke about no difference between ssj1 and ssj2.
The Super Saiyan transformation was the first form, it does/did not have any other form to be compared with. Ultra Instinct is not the first form, it isn't even the first of its own kind. There's no point in saying "Super Saiyan" was simple in a negative way or using him as an example since it was the first one to come. Then comes Super Saiyan 2, which is also a completely off comparison, because there is a slight change between both forms (except for Vegeta and Cabba), whether people like to claim otherwise or not, there is.

People would be okay with Ultra Instinct if at least something change (which is the case), it does not have to be ugly like Super Saiyan 3 and Super Saiyan 4, but it also does not have to be just a recolor without a slight change. That's why the version we are getting in the anime is better than the Toriyama's design, it's simple and nothing too drastic (which is how some type of transformations must be).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:15 pm

But,are we forgetting about previous and how simple were the design's of ssj1,grades and ssj2.They even make a joke about no difference between ssj1 and ssj2.
That doesn't justify Super's shitty transformations. Why many people use that to defend the new transformations?
Sure, I would be lying if I said SS2 is not so similar to SS1 but there is a difference between doing something for the first time and when you do it like the 5th time. Plus SS2 could have a significant difference depending on the hairstyle. like Gohan.

Sure there were complaints about SSGod when it first appeared, but they aren't half as bad as Mastered UI. Because it seems Akira and Friends just want to piss off the fans and laugh at this point. I mean, there is no way thery are not aware of the memes and how much of a joke they are, right?

btw
https://twitter.com/KenXyro/status/964872138497904641
lmao some people are truly, unironically justifying this shit by saying things like"there is a small difference in the nose shape or face lines so it's not copy paste"
Last edited by OverHeaven on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:16 pm

I need to clarify threads better.I am not talking about the design ifself,but more about toriyama's design direction.

He has a habit of reusing designs throughout his works and his designs of gods and angels are good.So,saying toriyama's design have gone to shit is ridiculous.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:17 pm

My problem with the UI design is that it seems unnecessary. The black haired look for UI was perfectly fine in its simplicity, but giving Goku silver hair just seems like a decision that was made in order to sell toys.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:26 pm

WittyUsername wrote:My problem with the UI design is that it seems unnecessary. The black haired look for UI was perfectly fine in its simplicity, but giving Goku silver hair just seems like a decision that was made in order to sell toys.
Also this, I always thought "Mastered" Ultra Instinct is just Goku being able to fully control the transformation and maintain it + use it whenever he wants at will. Now they will pretend that wasn't the real Ultra Instinct and just a "sign" or the state prior to it whatever.

plus He already looks PERFECT as it is now.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:34 pm

Thank God for Yamamuro, because Toriyama’s design of it sucks. I like the wild hair and musculature that Yamamuro implemented because it makes the form all the more unique.

Toriyama literally colored over his SSG design and added a serious expression. I hope Toyotaro doesn’t adapt Toriyama’s version in favor of Yamamuro’s own.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:34 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:It seems a lot of people are mad about the new design and think he has regressed.

There's a big difference between base-Goku and SSJ1 Goku. Same goes for base-Gohan in Cell saga, SSJ1 Gohan and SSJ2 Gohan. All were distinct and unmistakenable. It was later forms (for some chars like Vegeta) that were sometimes merly recolors.

With UI however, Toriyama went full on lazy from the get go. Not comparable.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:44 pm

It's literally a SSJ God recolored. Laziest shit you could ever do. I get SSJB is just like that, but in it's context it makes sense and it's the first time it happened, but here, after all the complaints about recoloring he just went ahead and recolored SSJ God to make Goku's ultimate form. It's god awful.

No wonder people think Toriyama doesn't care.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:49 pm

They didn't need to add any design to it, it was a skill which made it natural without any hair colour change. But it sort of explains why the Angels have white hair.

UI makes me think of already existing tropes like Haki, The Zone etc etc so adding this ability as like a "form" isn't organic.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:50 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:It seems a lot of people are mad about the new design and think he has regressed.

Unles we're referring specifically to Gohan and Vegeta, SSJ1 was a very distinctive form. Goku's entire hair design is different, his hair color is golden, and his eyes go green.

The grades are a power-up of SSJ1, so they're not really supposed to be all that difference, besides the muscle gains, which signify they are stronger.

SSJ2 is the first true new ascension. And this was not even meant to be a thing prior to the Buu saga. SSJ2 Kid Gohan is distinctive enough. Goku's SSJ2 design, I always loved--so subtle, but clearly different in a much cooler way. Again, only Vegeta and Adult Gohan ruin this form. The former, at the very least, had the Majin Vegeta distinction.

Every transformation in Super are the same exact transformations from the past, but with different colors. You can argue that SSJG has other distinctions, but the thing there is that those distinctions are god awful and lame. As subtle as SSJ2 is to SSJ1, it still appears more powerful and cooler, similar to how Ultra Instinct compares to Base Goku. If DBZ was released nowadays, this SSJ Goku would be base Goku with blond hair and yellow eyes. There was no need to alter the Ultra Instinct design. Very stupid move, imo.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:08 pm

My complain is not about the hair color, which I actually like a lot, but the fact Toriyama got so lazy with this form, which is supposed to be the pinnacle of power of Goku and is a big deal both in-universe and out of-universe.
I expected more from him than simply his SSG design recolored. It feels like he blatantly mocked us by putting it to our face that UI is just a recolor. That would be like if he took a old drawing of SSJ Goku and gave him Blue hair when he made his Super Saiyan Blue design. That wouldn't have been cool, would it?
The fact he is also the one who probably wrote how Ultra Instinct is achieved by Goku after he survived the Genkidama explosion makes it even more lame that Toriyama couldn't bother drawing a battle damaged Goku.

I prefer Yamamuro's version because he actually gave Goku a different hairstyle, and an awesome one. Although I will be honest, I would have been fine with Toriyama's approach too if Yamamuro decided to fully adapt his design; I'm just sad Toriyama decided to get lazy for Ultra Instinct, as it is my favorite form.

By the way, Super Saiyan 2 was always just a power-up of Super Saiyan, so it makes sense for it to not bring some major physical changes.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:17 pm

WittyUsername wrote:My problem with the UI design is that it seems unnecessary. The black haired look for UI was perfectly fine in its simplicity, but giving Goku silver hair just seems like a decision that was made in order to sell toys.
Why is it like clockwork when people don't like something in DBS they attribute it to "wanting to sell toys"? Everything in DBS has been a creative decision first and foremost.
OverHeaven wrote: Also this, I always thought "Mastered" Ultra Instinct is just Goku being able to fully control the transformation and maintain it + use it whenever he wants at will. Now they will pretend that wasn't the real Ultra Instinct and just a "sign" or the state prior to it whatever.

Pretend? They LITERALLY told us in #116 it wasn't Ultra Instinct. Not their fault fans chose to close their eyes. Not to mention they laballed every instance of pre mastered UI as "Omen" since #110.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:41 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
OverHeaven wrote: Also this, I always thought "Mastered" Ultra Instinct is just Goku being able to fully control the transformation and maintain it + use it whenever he wants at will. Now they will pretend that wasn't the real Ultra Instinct and just a "sign" or the state prior to it whatever.

Pretend? They LITERALLY told us in #116 it wasn't Ultra Instinct. Not their fault fans chose to close their eyes. Not to mention they laballed every instance of pre mastered UI as "Omen" since #110.
No, they didn't say it wasn't Ultra Instinct literally. You know what that word means .
Also, this was at the very end of the episode after he LOST the form again, it's more natural to think the narrator means something like "will he be able to attain it again?"

Not to mention Beerus said "Let's have a look, then...at Ultra Instinct.
The omen thing wasn't mentioned directly in the anime.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:14 pm

I think Toriyama's Ultra Instinct design is his greatest example of phoning it in from an artistic standpoint. It's very uninspired. It's literally just Super Saiyan God recoloured. All this has done has made me appreciate the anime's take on the form so much more. It added more of a wild and distinct aesthetic to it.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:37 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I think Toriyama's Ultra Instinct design is his greatest example of phoning it in from an artistic standpoint. It's very uninspired. It's literally just Super Saiyan God recoloured. All this has done has made me appreciate the anime's take on the form so much more. It added more of a wild and distinct aesthetic to it.
Agreed fully

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:26 pm

I'm okay with it, but I think the unmastered form should have been the official one. You can say it's also "lazy" but the black hair slightly standing up plus the silver eyes look incredible.

That said my 11-year-old nephew lost his shit when he saw the white hair so the form does appeal to the target audience.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:14 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:He has a habit of reusing designs throughout his works and his designs of gods and angels are good.So,saying toriyama's design have gone to shit is ridiculous.
let's remember Gohan and Yamcha's hair similarities. Also there were many characters which looked like a copy of one another. This is really something not new in the franchise, as u said.