Collection of all of DBS Toriyama's designs UPDATED 04/24/18

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Re: I made a compilation of all DBS Toriyama's character designs, what do you think of his artstyle?

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:06 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Rebel Instinct wrote:With Pilaf's green skin, Kid Trunks' blue hair and #18 and Marron's grey hair being recolored to match the colors they used to be in the original anime run (teal, lavender and blonde respectively), why did they suddenly decide to draw the line at the Future Trunks arc and choose to carry over the blue hair color Toriyama gave Future Trunks wholesale?

It's odd that they made sure to keep the colors consistent with the other characters, but just decided to put their foot down with Future Trunks. They desaturated flashbacks that included him and even went so far as to fully reanimate specific scenes in order to keep up the illusion that it was always blue. If they were inclined to recolor the other characters to resemble what viewers were familiar with before, why stop there and then abruptly decide to stick religiously to Toriyama's artwork for Future Trunks? It's not like it would be hard to distinguish between the two Trunks's with their obviously differing voices and appearances and it was a lot more extra work they had to go to just to hide it.

Toriyama even kept #18's hair grey in his Tournment of Power artwork, but they still recolored it to blonde to keep things consistent. It just makes Future Trunks stand out even more after the fact. It's an old, well-beaten horse to be sure, but it's still just as baffling now as it ever was seeing as how everyone else got a consistency "dye job".
The only reason I can think of is that probably the Blue hair-blue jacket combo works better as opposed to purple hair-blue jacket.
Disagree. The purple hair - blue jacket combo looked perfectly fine.
Well, I didn't really say it doesn't look fine. I just said that it works better for Trunks when his jacket and his hair color are the same.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: I made a compilation of all DBS Toriyama's character designs, what do you think of his artstyle?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:58 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote: Well, I didn't really say it doesn't look fine. I just said that it works better for Trunks when his jacket and his hair color are the same.
I still disagree. Too much blue.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:07 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote: Well, I didn't really say it doesn't look fine. I just said that it works better for Trunks when his jacket and his hair color are the same.
Would you also say that the Z F.Trunks had too much purple?
Get Fucked, C_unt

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: I made a compilation of all DBS Toriyama's character designs, what do you think of his artstyle? UPDATED

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:30 pm

Right bottom Zamasu looks like he was attending a wedding

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:28 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
No? And why would I? Blue jacket/armor and purple hair.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:32 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
He had purple hair and purple jacket in Z
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Get Fucked, C_unt

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:37 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote: Would you also say that the Z F.Trunks had too much purple?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That’s blue my friend.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:38 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That’s blue my friend.
Nope. It really isn't.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:43 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote: He had purple hair and purple jacket in Z
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That’s blue my friend.
Nope. It really isn't.
THIS is Blue
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Get Fucked, C_unt

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:51 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
That’s blue my friend.
Nope. It really isn't.
THIS is Blue
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
There’s different shades of blue besides that one. They’re both blue.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:01 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote: Nope. It really isn't.
THIS is Blue
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
There’s different shades of blue besides that one. They’re both blue.
There is NO way in hell that the first one is Blue. It litterally feels like you're just trolling me. Either that, or I have a colorblindness that apparently has gone unnoticed for my entire life. Or maybe this is another white and gold/black and Blue dress situation.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
See this image? There are Blue and purple dots, and the purple ones are in the shape of an H , in the center.
It's taken from a quiz. Now tell me that the first picture of Trunks doesn't resemble the dots of the "H" shape more with a straight face.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Spider-Man
Regular

Re: I made a compilation of all DBS Toriyama's character designs, what do you think of his artstyle? UPDATED

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:09 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:Interesting. I didn't know he was responsible for designing Mira and Towa. Thanks for sharing!
Your welcome and are you going to add the image in the OP?

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:18 pm

Spider-Man wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:Interesting. I didn't know he was responsible for designing Mira and Towa. Thanks for sharing!
Your welcome and are you going to add the image in the OP?
Thanks for reminding me, I'll add it right now. (Though now I'll force myself to find every other Toryiama design from before DBS, since I'm a bit of a perfectionist :D )
Get Fucked, C_unt

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:23 pm

I love them, my absolute favourite is the Zamasu's character design. He looks so fair, elegant and secretive. Also, I believe you forgot about Fused Zamasu's character design:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:27 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:I love them, my absolute favourite is the Zamasu's character design. He looks so fair, elegant and secretive. Also, I believe you forgot about Fused Zamasu's character design:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The problem is that I'm not too sure if this is either Toryiama or Yammamuro. The main difference lately has been the color, since Yammy has been sticking very closely to Tori's style with new characters (Zamasu, Black, Jiren) to the point where some of them look traced almost, but with this picture I'm not really 100% able to tell who drew it.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:56 am

THREAD UPDATED I finally found Toriyama's original design for Fused Zamasu (since the other one that has been around was from Yammamuro) and I added in Dragon Ball GT designs in the "others" section. Next, I'm gonna add the movie designs
Get Fucked, C_unt

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:13 am

Great compilation, however there are more Toriyama designs for Super in Dragon Ball 30th Anniversary Super History Book.

BanterTheGreat

Post by BanterTheGreat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:41 am

They look pretty bad, even worse is that i now know it is Toriyama who made Merged Zamasu look so bad instead of Toei. I wonder why Toyotaro was allowed to change the design.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:44 am

Sani007 wrote:Great compilation, however there are more Toriyama designs for Super in Dragon Ball 30th Anniversary Super History Book.
Oh really? Thanks for letting me know, I'll try to find them and add them in here :D
Get Fucked, C_unt

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:47 am

BanterTheGreat wrote:They look pretty bad, even worse is that i now know it is Toriyama who made Merged Zamasu look so bad instead of Toei. I wonder why Toyotaro was allowed to change the design.
Even though I said that Merged Zamasu was from Toriyama, after further obsetvations I am still undecided. I asked Ajay in a PM, hopefully he can determine wheter it's from Tori, or Yammy
Get Fucked, C_unt