Does it feel weird/funny that Super only has 2 episodes left?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Does it feel weird/funny that Super only has 2 episodes left?

Post by precita » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:50 am

The first new Dragonball series in 18 years since GT ended in 1997, the show that started in 2015, a series that continued Dragonball's modern revival after the two new movies, is now over in only 2 episodes.

It really doesn't feel like it. Probably because of the way this arc has been paced, there's no time for proper resolution/aftermath. And it feels like Super is ending too soon. Just feels surreal. Like I keep wondering, "Well what's the next arc going to be?" and then I have to remind myself we aren't getting another arc until probably another year or later...

sintzu
Banned

Re: Does it feel weird/funny that Super only has 2 episodes left?

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:56 am

I don't think we'd feel this way if Super had reached its full potential as a lot of episodes were wasted and the 3 main arcs we got were very under developed.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:58 am

Nothing new here. The ending of the Zamasu arc was also rushed. The final battle between Goku and Jiren wouldn't have been so short if Toei hadn't devoted so many episodes to fodder like Krillin, Tien or those Universe 2 freaks.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:02 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:Nothing new here. The ending of the Zamasu arc was also rushed.
It wasn't in the manga so hopefully the same will happen again here as one episode's worth of content (filled with cutaways) isn't nearly enough to do Jiren or Goku's new form justice.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:05 am

I didn't hate Ribrianne initially, but they made me hate her.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Caulifla, Kale and Kefla because they were actually strong fighters. I even enjoyed Caulifla & Kale vs the Pride Troopers.
The Universe 4 and Universe 3 episodes were good. Damon and Gamisaras had interesting abilities, and Anilaza was a beast.

I honestly think they took the Magical Girl joke too far, and dragged it for far too long. And that's one of the main reasons why the final episodes feel rushed, even though they're perfectly paced.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:31 am

DBZ Macky wrote:I didn't hate Ribrianne initially, but they made me hate her.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Caulifla, Kale and Kefla because they were actually strong fighters. I even enjoyed Caulifla & Kale vs the Pride Troopers.
The Universe 4 and Universe 3 episodes were good. Damon and Gamisaras had interesting abilities, and Anilaza was a beast.

I honestly think they took the Magical Girl joke too far, and dragged it for far too long. And that's one of the main reasons why the final episodes feel rushed, even though they're perfectly paced.
She could have had fewer scenes and been eliminated earlier but I don't dislike her. The Universe 2 farewell scene actually made me respect them a lot.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:58 pm

Not really. A new movie being announced before the series wrapped took the edge off, so it feels less like a big ending and more like the ending of the original Dragon Ball anime. 'That's it for this story, but stay tuned for more!' Without that I'd probably feel differently.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:21 pm

Sort of? It kind of felt a bit sudden, but I just hope the show isn't going to fully resolve itself with only 2 episodes left, because I don't think it can without feeling incredibly rushed like the FT arc ending. I think a cliff hanger is definitely needed, and given how secretive they're being with Freeza (despite everyone who watches the show noticing it) I feel like some sort of cliff hanger is imminent.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:31 pm

Nah. But only because I know for a fact this is not the end. When DBZ ended, they quickly went on to make GT, but that horrifically (well, relatively) bombed everywhere it aired, so the series (anime) kind of died for years. The BoG movie was so successful it culminated in a sequel and the Super series, which has also been immensely popular. They're slowing it down, but there is no way they're not going to continue riding the wave until it subsides. I predict a short 1-2 year hiatus before we get the next series. In the meantime, the franchise will be supplemented with merchandise, games, movies, and specials.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:37 pm

I don't think it's gonna feel weird until we're a couple weeks into April that Super being done (for now?) is going to feel real. We've been having all these breaks the past month and this month after all. A single break week won't feel it, but two weeks with no new episode sure will.

The Tournament of Power's been such a dragged out mess imo that I think I'm gonna be ok saying goodbye to Super for a while. Super's helped me through some really rough times; if I could manage to solve my own problems or at least be well on my way towards that finish line by the time Super returns that'd be amazing.

In terms of temporary show replacements; Precure's finally "back" for real this year (the ban of sorts on fisticuffs from last year has been lifted plus this year's has some amazing staff members. A la Mode was cute, but lacked the punch and kick action that I consider integral to Precure being Precure. The year before's Mahou Tsukai didn't gel with me at all. By comparison I find all three of Hugtto's Precures relatable likable characters and they're allowed to use physical attacks.) so it's not like I'm lacking in Toei weekend action/comedy shows. The December DB movie I'm not all that interested in right now, but I'll wait until that announcement the weekend Super ends to find out which characters are actually in the movie.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:55 pm

DBZ Macky wrote:I didn't hate Ribrianne initially, but they made me hate her.

I really feel Ribrianne should have been eliminated earlier but I don't hate her because I really like the fact that she learn something at the end and I don't think the magical girl joke was the cause of this while she do get a lot screentime but her episodes are usually divide in two parts in it.
Last edited by Spider-Man on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:49 am

I think a big part of why it doesn't feel weird for many is because there's a movie coming out later this year. The expectation seems to be, that the movie will have the normal cast after the ToP at some point, acting as the planet Sadala arc that has been kind of at hinted at since the U6 arc. People are probably viewing it in the same lens as the BoG and FnF films, expecting a huge commercial success that will spur on the new series, beginning after the EoZ.

To be honest though, I see it differently. From everything we've heard, I think the movie is going to be about the original Super Saiyan God (Yamoshi I believe?). There has been zero indication that the current cast will be included in any manner. Now this can be a good thing, because it'll provide world-building, and it'll be a change of pace. However, I think it's a recipe for disaster in terms of ratings. If there is no Goku, Vegeta, etc, I don't think people will be as motivated to go to theaters. And what happens if people don't go to theaters? Then there is most likely not going to be a new series anytime soon.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this was awful planning on the part of Toei/Toriyama. I understand that there is a series that is replacing Super, based on events outside of their control (50th anniversary of that other series, and it was in Super's timeslot I believe), but I really, really fear this movie is going to bomb. People aren't going to turn out for an 'Origin of the Saiyans' movie without Goku, and Toei will probably guess the Dragon Ball brand is not viable as an animated series. Toriyama isn't too old, but if they take another decade off? I can't imagine he'd want to be involved then. Nozawa is in her 80s now, and I don't know if we can assume she'll be in any condition to reprise her roll if it takes too long.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I really resent this decision. I wish this was just a TV Special, so there were less resources invested. This has the potential makings of a calamity that could drive the franchise into the ground (there'll still be games in the worst case, but nothing like the revival of the last few years).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:05 am

Analytical Delusion wrote:I think a big part of why it doesn't feel weird for many is because there's a movie coming out later this year. The expectation seems to be, that the movie will have the normal cast after the ToP at some point, acting as the planet Sadala arc that has been kind of at hinted at since the U6 arc. People are probably viewing it in the same lens as the BoG and FnF films, expecting a huge commercial success that will spur on the new series, beginning after the EoZ.

To be honest though, I see it differently. From everything we've heard, I think the movie is going to be about the original Super Saiyan God (Yamoshi I believe?). There has been zero indication that the current cast will be included in any manner. Now this can be a good thing, because it'll provide world-building, and it'll be a change of pace. However, I think it's a recipe for disaster in terms of ratings. If there is no Goku, Vegeta, etc, I don't think people will be as motivated to go to theaters. And what happens if people don't go to theaters? Then there is most likely not going to be a new series anytime soon.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this was awful planning on the part of Toei/Toriyama. I understand that there is a series that is replacing Super, based on events outside of their control (50th anniversary of that other series, and it was in Super's timeslot I believe), but I really, really fear this movie is going to bomb. People aren't going to turn out for an 'Origin of the Saiyans' movie without Goku, and Toei will probably guess the Dragon Ball brand is not viable as an animated series. Toriyama isn't too old, but if they take another decade off? I can't imagine he'd want to be involved then. Nozawa is in her 80s now, and I don't know if we can assume she'll be in any condition to reprise her roll if it takes too long.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I really resent this decision. I wish this was just a TV Special, so there were less resources invested. This has the potential makings of a calamity that could drive the franchise into the ground (there'll still be games in the worst case, but nothing like the revival of the last few years).
To support your thoughts; I agree.
I'm one of the fans who wouldn't be motivated to go to theaters to see The Yamoshi Movie if it's a movie with an entirely new cast. Without Goku, Vegeta, and friends I've got no interest in this upcoming movie. Dragon Ball isn't famous for its lore; and this sounds like a lore movie. Toriyama's a big Star Wars fan, maybe this is gonna be like one of those spinoffs SW does (Note: I know incredibly little about Star Wars, but I am aware that there are loads of spinoffs). In which case I won't be following it or spending any time or money. If I want lore I've got One Piece. If I want a one-off I've got a handful of seasonal anime each spring/summer/fall/winter.

I think the best case scenario is a Movie 13-esque deal with Yamoshi being the Tapion of the movie and befriending Goku or something while they work together to take down a big bad. Even that doesn't seem much like something I'd want movie money being invested in, it'd be better than a complete spinoff film.

At least I've still got that "Goku as an Olympic mascot" thing for the 2020 Summer Olympics waiting for me.

I'm tentatively waiting to see what they announce at that March 22nd-25th thing. It'll determine a lot about how active I'll be on this board for the rest of the year (among other stuff).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:42 am

I'm trying not to think about it. If Goku vs Jiren is wrapped up in Ep 130 then I'll certainly think about there being just a singular episode left. That'll be sad and weird
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:07 am

To be honest, I feel immensely nostalgic. I never thought that I'd get to witness the live conclusion to another Dragon Ball series the way I did with GT. The fact that the final episode's title is so similar to GT's makes me feel even more nostalgic; it almost feels like I'm getting to relive 1997, a much simpler time when I enjoyed Dragon Ball and didn't have many problems or responsibilities to deal with. I've preferred the Super manga over the Super anime all this time, but I didn't witness the original manga conclude; the Super anime's concluding is making me feel something the manga just can't for that reason, and it makes me love the anime even more than I already did.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:55 am

Chuquita wrote: I'm one of the fans who wouldn't be motivated to go to theaters to see The Yamoshi Movie if it's a movie with an entirely new cast. Without Goku, Vegeta, and friends I've got no interest in this upcoming movie. Dragon Ball isn't famous for its lore; and this sounds like a lore movie. Toriyama's a big Star Wars fan, maybe this is gonna be like one of those spinoffs SW does (Note: I know incredibly little about Star Wars, but I am aware that there are loads of spinoffs). In which case I won't be following it or spending any time or money. If I want lore I've got One Piece. If I want a one-off I've got a handful of seasonal anime each spring/summer/fall/winter.
But it's famous for its ability to introduce new characters late in the running that the audience accept so deeply they can even carry on succesful spin-offs (Future Trunks, Gohan, Bardock, Beerus, Whis etc)

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:44 am

I feel like it's bittersweet because it really felt to me that with the last two arcs, Super was finally starting to grow into it's own. After two horrible movie retellings and an okay Tournament arc, we get the Goku Black arc that got us hooked but left us confused and ended poorly, and the ToP, which to me personally has been what I've wanted out of Super since it's inception (exploring the multiverse, battling ridiculously strong foes, etc.) Not only that, but the animation and fight choreography have finally reached a point where it feels like old school Dragonball. We got that briefly in the Goku Black arc, but now it's really blossoming...for the most part.

I do believe we will return with another Dragonball series someday. There's too much stuff left to explore in the lore Super has established (like the 4 Universes not fighting in the ToP) and I hope someday we get to revisit it

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:00 am

Chuquita wrote:To support your thoughts; I agree.
I'm one of the fans who wouldn't be motivated to go to theaters to see The Yamoshi Movie if it's a movie with an entirely new cast. Without Goku, Vegeta, and friends I've got no interest in this upcoming movie. Dragon Ball isn't famous for its lore; and this sounds like a lore movie. Toriyama's a big Star Wars fan, maybe this is gonna be like one of those spinoffs SW does (Note: I know incredibly little about Star Wars, but I am aware that there are loads of spinoffs). In which case I won't be following it or spending any time or money. If I want lore I've got One Piece. If I want a one-off I've got a handful of seasonal anime each spring/summer/fall/winter.

I think the best case scenario is a Movie 13-esque deal with Yamoshi being the Tapion of the movie and befriending Goku or something while they work together to take down a big bad. Even that doesn't seem much like something I'd want movie money being invested in, it'd be better than a complete spinoff film.

At least I've still got that "Goku as an Olympic mascot" thing for the 2020 Summer Olympics waiting for me.

I'm tentatively waiting to see what they announce at that March 22nd-25th thing. It'll determine a lot about how active I'll be on this board for the rest of the year (among other stuff).
I feel like people have been really premature in deciding that the movie will be about Yamoshi. I mean it it's entirely possible it might, sure, but all they said at the time was that it would have a theme of Saiyans and the origin of their strength, which can just as easily be explored without him. To me it seems like they would have just outright said it would focus on him since iirc Toriyama's interview where he talked about that had already come out before the announcement. That and he didn't exist in U6 so it doesn't explain them. It could focus on the other stuff from that interview, like the S-cells.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:56 am

Chuquita wrote:
Analytical Delusion wrote:I think a big part of why it doesn't feel weird for many is because there's a movie coming out later this year. The expectation seems to be, that the movie will have the normal cast after the ToP at some point, acting as the planet Sadala arc that has been kind of at hinted at since the U6 arc. People are probably viewing it in the same lens as the BoG and FnF films, expecting a huge commercial success that will spur on the new series, beginning after the EoZ.

To support your thoughts; I agree.

I think that a spinoff movie could work for Dragon Ball if done right. I'm huge fan of Star Wars( though I did have problems with the Last Jedi) and I think that Dragon Ball could do what they have done if Toei and Toriyama wants to do it. I do still want Goku to be in the movie because Goku is the face of Dragon Ball. But to me, if the story is good then fans will watch and enjoy it.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:29 am

Not really. New Dragon Ball stories come and go and I don't really mentally ponder on that fact because it doesn't require much thought. I like a lot of what Super gave and should it end in the next two episodes, and I'm more than content with a majority of what it gave me. If the show come back in a year or so, that'd be nice. And this is the end of Super, I enjoyed it a lot for what it was... more fun adventures and battles with Goku and his allies.