[SPOILERS] How would you feel about these two near-impossible endings?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Black Hawk
Regular

[SPOILERS] How would you feel about these two near-impossible endings?

Post by Black Hawk » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:01 am

Neither of these endings to the tournament and Dragon Ball Super is particularly feasible, assuming Toei Animation cares about the series, which I believe we can safely assume they do. I am merely curious regarding how you would feel if either of these two endings came to fruition to conclude Dragon Ball Super.

1. The final battle with Jiren concludes with Gokū's victory at the end of episode 130 and, in episode 131 Gokū makes a wish on the Super Dragon Balls as the tournament's victor, presumably to restore all of the erased universes as many are predicting. The tournament aftermath plays out, followed by each universe's competitors and overseers returning to their respective universes. Dragon Ball Super concludes, presumably tying in to the ending Toriyama gave the manga. The kicker: Toei hid Freeza so well that they forgot about him. Since episode 130 concludes with Gokū defeating Jiren and the timer running out, there may not be so much outcry about Freeza not doing anything to draw Toei's attention until episode 131. Freeza plays no role in the final battle and makes no further appearance all the way to the end of episode 131, his final appearance having been a few seconds of Jiren thrashing him, as we saw. Again, not feasible, especially considering Toriyama's draft/outline; it's just hypothetical fun.

My reaction: I'd be genuinely amused by this. To be honest, I think I'd find it so funny and unbelievable that I'd actually like it. It would go down in history as one of the biggest oops'es in Dragon Ball, and yet I just don't think I could bring myself to be angry about it.

2. In the final moments of Gokū's battle with Jiren, the two are locked in some sort of struggle, perhaps akin to Gohan's beam struggle with Cell. As soon as one falters, the other is ensured victory. Gokū is losing ground and is coming close to faltering; with a final push, Jiren prepares to overtake Gokū's beam and eliminate him. Before he can, though, he winces and falters as a Death Beam strikes his back, akin to Vegeta distracting Cell. Gokū takes advantage of the opportunity and overwhelms Jiren's beam, eliminating him. Gokū and Freeza subsequently form a truce of sorts, burying the hatchet and no longer considering each other enemies. Again, not feasible, perhaps even less feasible than the previous ending; it's just hypothetical fun.

My reaction: While I wouldn't particularly like this ending, I wouldn't outright hate it. It would give Freeza's character an interesting opportunity for the future; we might actually get to see Freeza, previously the most ruthless of Dragon Ball's villains, actually fight against villains if the series was to continue. I'd actually prefer this ending over the "Gokū and Jiren eliminate each other, leaving Freeza the last man standing, making him the victor." endings that many have proposed; I would hate that kind of ending.

Again, I'm just curious regarding how you'd feel about these absurd endings.

(I considered whether or not this topic would be better suited for the What-If thread, but I concluded that its specific nature made it more suitable as a separate thread. I apologize if it qualifies more as What-If thread material.)
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: [SPOILERS] How would you feel about these two near-impossible endings?

Post by majinwarman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:10 am

Black Hawk wrote:Neither of these endings to the tournament and Dragon Ball Super is particularly feasible, assuming Toei Animation cares about the series, which I believe we can safely assume they do. I am merely curious regarding how you would feel if either of these two endings came to fruition to conclude Dragon Ball Super.

1. The final battle with Jiren concludes with Gokū's victory at the end of episode 130 and, in episode 131 Gokū makes a wish on the Super Dragon Balls as the tournament's victor, presumably to restore all of the erased universes as many are predicting. The tournament aftermath plays out, followed by each universe's competitors and overseers returning to their respective universes. Dragon Ball Super concludes, presumably tying in to the ending Toriyama gave the manga. The kicker: Toei hid Freeza so well that they forgot about him. Since episode 130 concludes with Gokū defeating Jiren and the timer running out, there may not be so much outcry about Freeza not doing anything to draw Toei's attention until episode 131. Freeza plays no role in the final battle and makes no further appearance all the way to the end of episode 131, his final appearance having been a few seconds of Jiren thrashing him, as we saw. Again, not feasible, especially considering Toriyama's draft/outline; it's just hypothetical fun.

My reaction: I'd be genuinely amused by this. To be honest, I think I'd find it so funny and unbelievable that I'd actually like it. It would go down in history as one of the biggest oops'es in Dragon Ball, and yet I just don't think I could bring myself to be angry about it.

2. In the final moments of Gokū's battle with Jiren, the two are locked in some sort of struggle, perhaps akin to Gohan's beam struggle with Cell. As soon as one falters, the other is ensured victory. Gokū is losing ground and is coming close to faltering; with a final push, Jiren prepares to overtake Gokū's beam and eliminate him. Before he can, though, he winces and falters as a Death Beam strikes his back, akin to Vegeta distracting Cell. Gokū takes advantage of the opportunity and overwhelms Jiren's beam, eliminating him. Gokū and Freeza subsequently form a truce of sorts, burying the hatchet and no longer considering each other enemies. Again, not feasible, perhaps even less feasible than the previous ending; it's just hypothetical fun.

My reaction: While I wouldn't particularly like this ending, I wouldn't outright hate it. It would give Freeza's character an interesting opportunity for the future; we might actually get to see Freeza, previously the most ruthless of Dragon Ball's villains, actually fight against villains if the series was to continue. I'd actually prefer this ending over the "Gokū and Jiren eliminate each other, leaving Freeza the last man standing, making him the victor." endings that many have proposed; I would hate that kind of ending.

Again, I'm just curious regarding how you'd feel about these absurd endings.

(I considered whether or not this topic would be better suited for the What-If thread, but I concluded that its specific nature made it more suitable as a separate thread. I apologize if it qualifies more as What-If thread material.)
I think that both endings could happen due to us not hearing any spoilers about 131. I do believe though that the first ending is more likely than the second.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:52 pm

majinwarman wrote:I think that both endings could happen due to us not hearing any spoilers about 131. I do believe though that the first ending is more likely than the second.
I'm inclined to agree; I just can't see Freeza becoming anything that isn't a self-serving, conniving manipulator; even if he didn't betray Universe 7, I just don't believe that there wouldn't be an ulterior motive behind it, no matter what. Toei forgetting that Freeza is there on the other hand...while I want to have more faith in them, I can't help but feel it very well could (but likely won't) happen.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:59 pm

I've mused about something like the first one being done delberately as a gag: Frieza is forgotten entirely in all the hubbub and he wakes up after the tournament to find everyone has left him behind in the Wold of Void! :lol:

The second one: mmm....maybe. I don't think Frieza will ever really change from the way he is now, 'the worst kind of scum' as Goku put it. The only way I could see that working is if he re-focused his hate on someone else.

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:01 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:I've mused about something like the first one being done delberately as a gag: Frieza is forgotten entirely in all the hubbub and he wakes up after the tournament to find everyone has left him behind in the Wold of Void! :lol:
Oh my gosh, I would absolutely love this; I kind of want to see it happen now. :clap:

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:56 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:I've mused about something like the first one being done delberately as a gag: Frieza is forgotten entirely in all the hubbub and he wakes up after the tournament to find everyone has left him behind in the Wold of Void! :lol:

The second one: mmm....maybe. I don't think Frieza will ever really change from the way he is now, 'the worst kind of scum' as Goku put it. The only way I could see that working is if he re-focused his hate on someone else.
Honestly that would be freaking hilarious lmao

Legit LOL. That would be great to see. Toriyama loves gags so it's actually possible lmao

As for the OP, I would honestly love scenario 2.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:10 pm

The first ending sounds plausible given how Super likes to bring up then drop things entirely. The second ending, assuming I don't groan to death from a Cell Games rehash as you propose, pisses me off. Not every bad guy can and should get redeemed, Freeza's so much fun because he's such an irredeemably vicious prick.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:12 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:The first ending sounds plausible given how Super likes to bring up then drop things entirely. The second ending, assuming I don't groan to death from a Cell Games rehash as you propose, pisses me off. Not every bad guy can and should get redeemed, Freeza's so much fun because he's such an irredeemably vicious prick.
It would be a great homage to the Cell arc. It's not a rehash when it's just single scenes being used for inspiration here and there, or to pay homage to.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:17 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:The first ending sounds plausible given how Super likes to bring up then drop things entirely. The second ending, assuming I don't groan to death from a Cell Games rehash as you propose, pisses me off. Not every bad guy can and should get redeemed, Freeza's so much fun because he's such an irredeemably vicious prick.
It would be a great homage to the Cell arc. It's not a rehash when it's just single scenes being used for inspiration here and there, or to pay homage to.
I'm sick to death of new material for old series and their "homages" to the past. Super, for all its faults, has managed to do some fairly impressive and memorable scenes all on its own. It doesn't need to fall back on cheap fanservice like this.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:12 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
I'm sick to death of new material for old series and their "homages" to the past. Super, for all its faults, has managed to do some fairly impressive and memorable scenes all on its own. It doesn't need to fall back on cheap fanservice like this.
I'm not at all. I love it and I hope they continue with the homages. To each their own.

ps

I have to disagree with "for all its faults"...subjective things like "bad writing" and "power scaling" are not objective factual faults. Those are entirely subjective based on opinion . An objective fault would be like the poor animation of episode 5, but Super has long recovered from that. In perticulanr the tournament of power arc has been amazing and one of my favorite arcs in all of Dragon Ball. Super gets an unfair overly negative bad rap

dblack
Beyond Newbie

Post by dblack » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:10 am

My surprise ending;
Goku/Jiren double elimination leaving Freeza. U7 wins, GP reveals no universes will be erased. GP asks Zeno about MVP, Freeza goes on a rant and threatens to destroy the Zeno’s if they don’t give him the SDBs. Zenos think he is cute and give him MVP. Freeza sees a flashback of all the Saiyans in this tourney powering up, then Goku going SS1 on Namek, FTrunks going SS and slashing him, and wishes for all saiyans to no longer be able to transform into super saiyans. Goku asks Whis if he’ll ever reach MUI again, Whis tells him only if he finds someone strong enough to bring it out. Que Goku mentoring Uub. Resets the Saiyan power scale for a potential new series, except for Goku and potentially Vegeta activating UI. Also could lead into the movie diving deeper into Saiyans and possibly re-activating it in some dramatic fashion.

In reality, my expectations are far lower and we will probably just see Goku win, wish everyone back, no big twists.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:23 am

This was my idea of a "surprise" ending that I posted in the other thread a few weeks ago, which is sort of similar to Black Hawk's second ending but with a temporary truce instead:

Frieza is the last fighter to remain standing as Goku and Jiren both lose in a stalemate. As promised, he gets to make a wish using the Super Dragon Balls. To everyone's complete bewilderment, the wish is to revive all the universes that perished during the ToP. It's revealed (and was indeed already hinted) that Frieza's true goal is to rule over all 12 universes eventually, but there's no point in doing so if there are only a few of them remaining. He plans to overthrow the gods one day, and this is only the first step.

Later, Goku fulfills his end of the bargain and revives Frieza using the Dragon Balls. As everyone prepares to defend the Earth against Frieza, Frieza admits that he's no match for Goku and Vegeta the way they are now -- he promises to return to Earth in the future to exact his revenge on the Saiyans after he becomes strong enough to defeat them, and then departs from the planet. Goku, being Goku, is likewise excited to fight him again one day and lets him go. This sets him up as a recurring villain of sorts in case there's another series about the next generation.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:27 am

dblack wrote:My surprise ending;
Goku/Jiren double elimination leaving Freeza. U7 wins, GP reveals no universes will be erased. GP asks Zeno about MVP, Freeza goes on a rant and threatens to destroy the Zeno’s if they don’t give him the SDBs. Zenos think he is cute and give him MVP. Freeza sees a flashback of all the Saiyans in this tourney powering up, then Goku going SS1 on Namek, FTrunks going SS and slashing him, and wishes for all saiyans to no longer be able to transform into super saiyans. Goku asks Whis if he’ll ever reach MUI again, Whis tells him only if he finds someone strong enough to bring it out. Que Goku mentoring Uub. Resets the Saiyan power scale for a potential new series, except for Goku and potentially Vegeta activating UI. Also could lead into the movie diving deeper into Saiyans and possibly re-activating it in some dramatic fashion.

In reality, my expectations are far lower and we will probably just see Goku win, wish everyone back, no big twists.
A twist just for the sake of having a twist is one of the biggest sins in story telling IMO.

Goku winning is a whole lot better: )

Not trying to be rude or anything, but I could already imagine that your ending would piss people off and make Super one of the most hated shows ever.

The only thing that would be more hated is the, "the whole tournament was just a dream bro" fan fiction. Which your ending is still very similar to (reseting the power levels/taking away transformations might even be worse actually and piss people off more)

Goku winning ends Super on the highest note possible.

It's about execution too. If it's done well, then it's great no matter what

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:41 am

Marlowe89 wrote:This was my idea of a "surprise" ending that I posted in the other thread a few weeks ago, which is sort of similar to Black Hawk's second ending but with a temporary truce instead:

Frieza is the last fighter to remain standing as Goku and Jiren both lose in a stalemate. As promised, he gets to make a wish using the Super Dragon Balls. To everyone's complete bewilderment, the wish is to revive all the universes that perished during the ToP. It's revealed (and was indeed already hinted) that Frieza's true goal is to rule over all 12 universes eventually, but there's no point in doing so if there are only a few of them remaining. He plans to overthrow the gods one day, and this is only the first step.

Later, Goku fulfills his end of the bargain and revives Frieza using the Dragon Balls. As everyone prepares to defend the Earth against Frieza, Frieza admits that he's no match for Goku and Vegeta the way they are now -- he promises to return to Earth in the future to exact his revenge on the Saiyans after he becomes strong enough to defeat them, and then departs from the planet. Goku, being Goku, is likewise excited to fight him again one day and lets him go. This sets him up as a recurring villain of sorts in case there's another series about the next generation.
This is honestly brilliant. I think this is the only "Freeza is the last man standing." ending that I wouldn't hate, to be honest; I wouldn't be upset at all if this is how the tournament's ending and aftermath played out. It would feel very complete and fulfilling and would also leave the future open and serve as a reminder that more lies ahead even though Super itself is ending. :thumbup:

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:03 pm

Black Hawk wrote:
majinwarman wrote:I think that both endings could happen due to us not hearing any spoilers about 131. I do believe though that the first ending is more likely than the second.
I'm inclined to agree; I just can't see Freeza becoming anything that isn't a self-serving, conniving manipulator; even if he didn't betray Universe 7, I just don't believe that there wouldn't be an ulterior motive behind it, no matter what. Toei forgetting that Freeza is there on the other hand...while I want to have more faith in them, I can't help but feel it very well could (but likely won't) happen.
It would be funny if they did forget about Freeza.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:33 pm

Frieza could remain alive in the end if Toriyama wants to further link DB and Neko Majin. He's inexplicably alive again in that and has a son.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:31 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:Frieza could remain alive in the end if Toriyama wants to further link DB and Neko Majin. He's inexplicably alive again in that and has a son.
This was his master plan all along
Get Fucked, C_unt

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:34 am

what's going to happen is jiren and goku will knock eachother out, frieza will come out of hiding and just as he's about to make his wish he dissapears and goes back to hell as time in the world of void runs differently than the real world. Goku then get's the wish since he was the 2nd to last eliminated and he wishes for all the universes to come back.

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:44 pm

jplaya2023 wrote:what's going to happen is jiren and goku will knock eachother out, frieza will come out of hiding and just as he's about to make his wish he dissapears and goes back to hell as time in the world of void runs differently than the real world. Goku then get's the wish since he was the 2nd to last eliminated and he wishes for all the universes to come back.
That's what I'm worried about; it would be very predictable and it would make Freeza's return completely pointless. He conserved his energy through the tournament, got angry toward the end, got completely wrecked just before the end, and then got poofed back to Hell at the end. If that's how the ending to the tournament goes, then I would wish that Yamcha had been the tenth fighter for Universe Seven instead; it'd have given Yamcha some time in the limelight instead of treating him like a joke and not wasted a golden (See what I did there?) opportunity for Freeza's character and story.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:41 pm

Those both feel like very likely endings. Even the idea of them forgetting about Freeza is sadly not outside the realm of possibility.

After so much buildup, you just know whatever happens with Freeza is going to be an anticlimax. They have left so little time to resolve anything, at worst he'll try and make some stupid move and one of the many characters in that ring that outclass him will put him in his place and he'll wake up back in hell. I'd almost prefer it if it ends with him either getting hakai'd or somehow escaping in a "to be continued" fashion.