How do you feel about the FT arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

How do you feel about the FT arc?

Post by buutenks » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:27 pm

This has been on my mind for a bit, so i wanted to share.

To me personally the FT arc feels like it could have been skipped. I mean nothing impactful happened in it apart from screwing Future Trunks even more. If you'd skip it, apart from the 2 zenos you wouldnt miss a thing.

Feels to me that the FT arc was wedged inbetween u6 arc and ToP so there wont be 2 back to back tourney arcs.

Anyone else feel the same?

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: How do you feel about the FT arc?

Post by The Patrolman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:35 pm

Its the best arc in Super. Even then its flawed as all hell
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:45 pm

Nothing impactful happened in the Present timeline because, luckily for the Z Fighters, the ambitious Zamasu was stopped in time and thus failed to steal Goku's body. Otherwise, Universe 7 would have been in a lot of trouble, especially during the inevitable Tournament of Power. Imagine if Present Zamasu had been able to successfully murder Gowasu and steal Goku's body. He could get away with the Time Ring and begin his Zero Mortals Plan in another timeline. And then what would have happened to Universe 7? The Tournament of Power would have been inevitable, Zen-Oh had been planning one for long, and without Goku Universe 7 would have been screwed.

But from the Future timeline's perspective... yeah, that arc had a lot of impact. The Future timeline is now an empty void because of Zamasu's actions. Zamasu, the only antagonist whose destruction cannot be undone by means such as the Dragon Balls. The only antagonist who deprived the Z Fighters of a decisive victory.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:47 pm

The best arc in super. Goku Black and Zamasu were fantastic Antagonists and have Trunks back being useful (anime) was good to see
Only arc that felt like there was was an actual story to tell as the first 2 arcs were retellings and the other 2 arcs are tournaments

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:19 pm

It's Super's best arc and Black is possibly the best DB villain. If it had more going on and avoided the massive mistakes it made I think it could've been the best arc in the entire franchise.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:25 pm

I like the story of future trunks arc but the fight scenes were lacking badly.
Only the snippet of Goku vs Black up the building was good and some of Vegetto vs Zamasu.

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:40 pm

It was awesome! Goku Black was an amazing villain.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:53 pm

The Future Trunks arc was awful IMO. For me it's tied with the Ressurection F arc for being Super's worst arc

The pacing was way too god awful fast. Nothing was allowed to sink in. We were never allowed to fully settle into this world, the atmosphere, the story etc. When you don't marinate food, it tastes worse.

Then there's the ending, which was one of the worst most abrupt sudden endings in anime history

This arc just came and went in a flash.

Terrible arc that felt like it belonged in Dragon GT

But people like this arc because it had the first real new villian of Super

I admit though, Black was a neat concept. But the execution just wasn't there.

That was the problem with TF arc. In concept, the FT arc was a neat concept with a lot of neat ideas, but the too fast pacing and lackluster execution just entirely shit the bed for me

The tournament of Power arc is Super's greatest arc, and when Super finally started to match the classic epic feel of DBZ.

The Future Trunks arc was maybe a good first step in trying to get Super back on track, but its been the tournament of power arc that really put Super on the map for me
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:58 pm

Didn't we have like 3-4 threads on this topic already? Why do people keep making new threads about this arc when you can just use the older ones?

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:59 pm

It was awesome, even with the questionable controversial ending. It offrred us a lot of fantastic moments. F. Trunks is one of my favourite characters , and seeing the differences in how Vegeta treated him was really cool. Also it has my favourite pair of villains, Black and Zamasu. Love those guys
Get Fucked, C_unt

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:01 pm

Ft arc is my favorite in super by far , The one that surprise me more , it’s true that there’s some things that I didn’t like the way they made it , but overall my favorite . Worst moment in my opinion is bulma going to the future( just anime ) , I think that was a bad idea ... and best moment is ...the fact that for once the heroes lost .. unexpected universe gone .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:16 pm

To me it's the best arc in DBS. It's better than Z's Cell saga too.

I think that FT's arc should have been saved for later [or at least the arc should have been longer], and that ToP should have come before it. UI Black would've been dope. I don't like the idea of the series ending with a tournament instead of a villain.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:38 pm

What really makes the Future Trunks arc so disappointing, is that we already basically got this time travel arc before, except it was done way better in the andriod/cell sagas

The first real narrative villain of Super with an ongoing narrative, and yet it's just another time travel Trunks arc??? That was so disappointing. When I heard about the arc, I was just like "uh what ever, hype killed. Another retrend"

The Future Trunks arc also lacked those big DBZ moments (which the tournament of power arc has consistently nailed)

Nothing ever really stood out in the FT arc. You never hear about this one fight that was epic, or how it was epic how they killed the main villian etc. Where were those epic DBZ battles? Most of the talk is always about Black. He was a neat villian though so thats understandable...but everything else was forgettable..

And when you think about it, the future trunks arc has most of the most hated moments of Super. When I see people talk about inconsistent writing and bad power scaling, I notice the future trunks arc always seems to contain the most examples to prove those points

-Trunks being able to compet with merged zamusa

- Trunks sword suddenly being able to "kill" merged zamuza

And btw, that scene perfectly illustrated all the problems of this arc.

There's no build up to Trunks asking for the energy, and the energy gathering into his sword. It just happens out of no where and suddenly within nano seconds, after a scene of just a farmer and kids giving up their energy, thats enough?? and Trunks has enough to suddenly kill merged zamuza with that sword. Really? And it wasn't even epic at all. If it werr at least epic I would forgive that scene.

That was just awful. You had Dragon Ball GT arcs with better more impactful similar scenes

The Future Trunks arc wasn't even better then arcs in GT imo.

The arc was really only about Black and thats it.

I admit though, one scene I actually did love was at the end when Trunks sees Gohan, and it reminds him of the Gohan from his timeline who was killed. That was a very touching moment

Edit

To be a little more fair, the beginning of the arc actually started off really good. Sadly, the more we got into the arc, it just shit the bed with execution, didn't build on or live up to what was being set, and went by wayyy too fast. Wayy too fast

But all in all, it was more Dragon Ball so I was happy to watch. But it was no where near as great as the tournament of power arc is right now. The Future Trunks arc could be viewed as the first good baby step that helped get Super back on track. The tournament of power arc is what has been THE defining (and most significant) arc for Super.
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:31 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:What really makes the Future Trunks arc so disappointing, is that we already basically got this time travel arc before, except it was done way better in the andriod/cell sagas
Well , we also had in the past tournament arcs ( way more than time travel arcs ) , t.o.p is battle royal , ok , but most of it has been 1 vs 1 , so I can’t find disappointment in the fact that they time travel again and for the first time going to the future .
I agree with most of the points you explain in your post about incoherences and no building ups etc , and just narrative about black Goku , but what narrative is offered in t.o.p ?
T.o.p is plenty of incoherences too ..and don’t get me wrong I like it , as most of dragon ball content.
So , would you rather that in f.t arc, for example Goku fight first zamasu , get beat , then vegeta fights , get beat , then Goku again is recovered , get beat , then vegeta recovers , get beat ...and so on .... until Goku press the bottom ...
I guess f.t is my favorite because surprised me , if vegito beats m zamasu and happy ending , I would say t.o.p is my favorite , only a surprising ending in t.o.p can change my mind . T.o.p is better in fighting mostly because of the amount of differents characters , with is great
Note: I’d like f.t arc better in the manga with less time travels , o bulma facing zamasu and no trunks sworld
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:34 pm

You're not wrong but unless TOP arc pulls a shocker at the very last minute, FT arc is still the best thing that came out of Super, flaws and/or standalone-nature (compared to other arcs) regardless.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:38 pm

Fantastic for the first 3/4 of it, before it degrades into pure "Rule Of Cool" and the story suffers big time for it. So basically from start of the arc (Episode 47) to Episode 61 is pure gold from a storytelling perspective. Then it narratively falls of a cliff. I still really like the ending and there are some really good moments from Episode 62 to Episode 66, but are is a lot nonsense, bullshit, bad animation and padding in the final 1/4 of the arc that drag it down.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:22 pm

prince212 wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:What really makes the Future Trunks arc so disappointing, is that we already basically got this time travel arc before, except it was done way better in the andriod/cell sagas
Well , we also had in the past tournament arcs ( way more than time travel arcs ) , t.o.p is battle royal , ok , but most of it has been 1 vs 1 , so I can’t find disappointment in the fact that they time travel again and for the first time going to the future .
I agree with most of the points you explain in your post about incoherences and no building ups etc , and just narrative about black Goku , but what narrative is offered in t.o.p ?
T.o.p is plenty of incoherences too ..and don’t get me wrong I like it , as most of dragon ball content.
So , would you rather that in f.t arc, for example Goku fight first zamasu , get beat , then vegeta fights , get beat , then Goku again is recovered , get beat , then vegeta recovers , get beat ...and so on .... until Goku press the bottom ...
I guess f.t is my favorite because surprised me , if vegito beats m zamasu and happy ending , I would say t.o.p is my favorite , only a surprising ending in t.o.p can change my mind . T.o.p is better in fighting mostly because of the amount of differents characters , with is great
Note: I’d like f.t arc better in the manga with less time travels , o bulma facing zamasu and no trunks sworld
The narrative is simple and it's just about executing, pacing, and direction. Here are the stakes. All the losers will be erased. Now go.

The arc is about Goku breaking his shell and surpassing his limits...(also Vegeta and sayains) and everything to do with that is just executed on very well.

Just compare the build up to Trunks suddenly and abruptly defeating merged Zamuza with a sword, to Goku achieving Omen 3 seperate times, gradually improving, and then being forced into a glorious new transformation. It's night and day in quality, narrative building, pacing and execution.

The whole narrative around Goku achieving UI was flawless and classic DBZ

The tournament of power arc feels like classic DBZ all over again, with the intense build ups, gradual pacing, and epic fights with huge satisfying payoffs with epic music

Watching Goku transform into mastered UI for the first time was even more epic then watching Goku transform into SS for the first time

And Goku vs Jiren 1 vs 1 feels like our modern day classic version of Goku vs Frieza on Namek

No bullshit. No crutches like fusion or swords. It's simple. We all get what it is. And it's just pure badassery with impeccable execution. Jiren just pushing Goku to the max and Goku having to find a way all on his own to simply rise and over come. Son Goku baby!

Lets not forget episode 127 had amazing story beats and was a very touching and emotional episode narratively too.

-Vegeta's will and resolve and finally accepting that only Goku can win and passing on all his trust to Goku

-Goku having an emotional epiphany when he finally realizes what's at stake and that everyone is counting on him. That Goku must win so that everyone Goku loves can live

Let's not sell the narrative in the tournament of power arc short...Because even though the premise of it was/is so simple, it allowed them to do some really awesome stuff with that simple concept and really nail it

For example, how Jiren vs Goku is also a fight of widely opposing ideologies. Jiren's belief in nothing but himself and his strength juxtaposed with Goku's trust in his family and friends and fighting for a greater purpose (to not only win for those who put all their hopes onto his shoulders but to surpass his own limits and master UI)

When you think about it, most arcs in DBZ were, here's a huge threat. Fight to win or save. It's essentially the same as in the tournament of power arc. The tournament is the backdrop and setting for Goku vs an entirely new kind of antagonist in Jiren. A good guy who's pushing Goku to the max. Goku must surpass his limits and overcome.

Everything about that has just been nailed with amazing execution and just total epicness

The tournament also gave many other characters their time to shine...But I really really love how the tournament of power returned Goku to the true badass he is and made Goku great again. That's something that was sorely missing from Super prior

The tournament of power arc has given me many of my all time favorite moments and episodes in all of Dragon Ball

Episodes 110, 116, 118, 121, 123, 125, 126, 127, 128

- Goku vs Kale/Califla/Kefla mini-arc
- The epic defeat of aniraza
- Goku vs Jiren mini arc
- mastered UI Goku

Etc etc

Anyway, now switching back

Maybe I'm a little too harsh on the future trunks arc. More Dragon Ball is more Dragon Ball and I will always watch more Dragon Ball.

I agree that perhaps the future trunks arc was maybe one of the more "ambitious" arcs in terms of theme and villian...but what good is ambition if the execution is poor? It started off great and had promise, but ultimately failed and ended up being very disappointing.

The tournament of power arc is just simplicity executed with perfection. The tournament of power arc has brought back the feels and magic of classic DBZ . The tournament of power arc has made me feel like a kid watching classic DBZ all over again for the first time. If not, the tournament of power has even surpassed classic DBZ for me

I really hope that when Super returns we get arcs with the quality and execution of the tournament of power, that simply continue on and refine from it, that carry the momentum and build on top it.

Sorry for the long post. But those are my thoughts

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:48 pm

I recant. The Future Trunks arc was good. I will just say it disappointed me.

I will be more positive about the future of trunks arc: ) Its just disappointing when those who are negative toward the tournament of power arc will praise the future trunks arc. Just my personal anecdotals of what I've experienced.

The Future Trunks arc did disappoint me and there were a lot of issues but there were also some good that came out of it

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:49 am

IMO the FTrunks arc is the best arc of Super by far.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:17 am

Black was really good, but other than that, I didn't like the arc much. Lately, though, I've been feeling like I'd appreciate it more on a rewatch. Some of the things I was missing have been satisfied by the ToP, and knowing that might make me less bothered. Plus binging is always better to me.

Looking back, what I regret most about the arc now is that Zamasu didn't stick around. Goku's opponents becoming his allies is a trope I never tire of. The worse the better.