Jiren -such a huge disappointment

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Re: Jiren -such a huge disappointment

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:21 am

Miracles wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Miracles wrote:Jiren told Goku to get lost in his first appearance.
Jiren does a winning pose after sending his prey flying.
Stepped on Goku's back when he was down.
Told team 7 how does it feel to taste their last victory after defeating Anilaza.
Clowned Vegeta for having a false exaggerated view of himself with impure punches.
Rebuked Toppo for throwing away justice for destruction. Commended Vegeta for staying true to who he is.
Jiren's character has been consistent.
Yeah, consistently bland
IF SOMEONE ISN'T MAKING ME LAUGH THEY ARE BLAND.

The logic of this culture today. :thumbdown:
People aren't the same. Everyone is different.
Jiren is a straight to the point powerhouse. He is all business.
I would list all of the reasons why Jiren is bland (not only because he doesn't make people laugh, Vegeta doesn't as well, but nobody considers him bland, so fuck your logic) but this entire thread is litterally full of critics and valid complaints so I don't want to waste my time. That said I don't hate Jiren, I like him for what he is: a wall to surpass, but that doesn't mean that he is any more interesting than that.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:05 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote: Yeah, consistently bland

I would list all of the reasons why Jiren is bland (not only because he doesn't make people laugh, Vegeta doesn't as well, but nobody considers him bland, so fuck your logic) but this entire thread is litterally full of critics and valid complaints so I don't want to waste my time. That said I don't hate Jiren, I like him for what he is: a wall to surpass, but that doesn't mean that he is any more interesting than that.
Vegeta definitely makes people laugh. I don't know which version of Dragonball you're watching, but there are plenty of funny moments with him throughout the series.
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:11 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
Avenant wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:ANime wise, it feels like they really haven't done much with him until the end, which is a shame since how much they were building him up since the 2nd OP started. The manga though was smart and established who he is and get a sence of character. So while the anime is meh, there is hope for the manga.
I never take the Anime serious and just enjoy the ride. The Manga is the quentessential Dragonball to me and what I look forward to most. That said, I'm super excited to see how the tournament plays out in the Manga, no pun intended! I expect Jiren to be much more developed and intriguing.
Toyotaro is so over rated. He doesn't come close to prime Toriyama. Sorry, I can't ever say that a Toyotaro manga is ever the "quintessential" version of anything Dragon Ball.

In fact, did you know that Toriyama's outlines did NOT have Vegetto? That was Toyotaro. So again how is his manga interpretation quintessential dragon ball?

The anime followed the same Toriyama outlines that Toyotaro will be following.
Well in my opinion, Toyotaro is doing a fine job of taking over the mantle. He's not Toriyama, but I do enjoy his direction and trust him a lot more than the Anime staff writers. He's already proven to be doing a better job with the story, at least in my opinion. As for the quintessential version, I was referring to the Manga as a whole, not specifically Super. But even so, my opinion still stands. I believe the Super Manga is superior to the Super Anime and will hold out my opinion on Jiren until Toyotaro concludes it.
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:49 am

Avenant wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Miracles wrote:

Vegeta definitely makes people laugh. I don't know which version of Dragonball you're watching, but there are plenty of funny moments with him throughout the series.
He started beign funny towards the Android and in the Buu saga, and he was already massively popular in his earlier Saiyan Saga days, and I don't know about you, but a guy who wants to destroy a planet isn't that funny to me. And since we have plenty of Vegeta funny moments it was obviously clear that I was referring to "evil" Vegeta from Saiyan and Frieza saga.
Get Fucked, C_unt

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:00 pm

By the way, I have noticed on all social medias that Jiren doesn't even have a fraction of Goku Black's popularity, even though Jiren himself has had a lot of screentime and has been hyped as the most powerful antagonist Goku has ever faced. I wonder why...

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:02 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:By the way, I have noticed on all social medias that Jiren doesn't even have a fraction of Goku Black's popularity, even though Jiren himself has had a lot of screentime and has been hyped as the most powerful antagonist Goku has ever faced. I wonder why...
Because Goku Black had such a great entrance, great quotes and interactions with the cast as well an interesting personality. Jiren has none of that besides "I'm strong"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:53 pm

I like Jiren enough fine he's design is again fine but for life of me I don't understand why he's the only fighter they bothered marketing, Jiren's full power state does look better, though.

That said I still wish Bergamo was the final antagonist, I would have liked another animal type being as the final boss of DBS plus design wise he looks cool and they could've made him even cooler with transformations and such.
SupremeKai25 wrote:By the way, I have noticed on all social medias that Jiren doesn't even have a fraction of Goku Black's popularity, even though Jiren himself has had a lot of screentime and has been hyped as the most powerful antagonist Goku has ever faced. I wonder why...
Apples and Oranges. He's not a villain, the whole tournament setting restricts characters as they're just opponents to fight. Hit didn't get interesting until they started doing post tournament stuff with him in my opinion for example.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:20 pm

The gr wrote:I'm one of the few who isn't bothered at the backstory I'm moreso angry at the lack of build up for this moment and I also hate that they made Jiren to a guy who play with his food instead of the no nonesense guy from the special.
He was never no nonsense though since if he was every person he fought since the special would have been eliminated the first time he fought them

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:28 pm

Jigurashi wrote:
The gr wrote:I'm one of the few who isn't bothered at the backstory I'm moreso angry at the lack of build up for this moment and I also hate that they made Jiren to a guy who play with his food instead of the no nonesense guy from the special.
He was never no nonsense though since if he was every person he fought since the special would have been eliminated the first time he fought them
Or just look at Kale, who went on to take out most of his team.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:36 pm

Still need to know what his wish is before I'm sold or not. Personally, I've loved Jiren thus far. Yeah he's an asshole but he's been the solitary type. All he cares about is strength. Yeah Toppo and him are supposed to be "friends" but how much of that does Jiren hold on to? Maybe we'll see a development once he's defeated

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:49 pm

Apples and Oranges. He's not a villain, the whole tournament setting restricts characters as they're just opponents to fight. Hit didn't get interesting until they started doing post tournament stuff with him in my opinion for example.
Jiren is the last antagonist of Dragon Ball: Super, I was expecting much more from him. Instead, he has a shallow backstory and non-sensical personality (so he believes strength is everything, yet also wants to obtain what is beyond strength? What?), a very boring design, and a pretty basic kit that lacks creativity. But the average fan doesn't care. As long as Jiren stomps Goku, he is 100% the best antagonist in Super.

Fused Zamasu should have been the last antagonist of Super, not Jiren.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:56 pm

HeroR wrote:
Jigurashi wrote:
If you want to get technical, Kale herself only eliminated one Pride Trooper. It took her and Caulifla in their most powerful forms to eliminate 3 Pride Troopers in the next episode. But, yeah, Jiren not taking care of Kale came back to bite Universe 11 either way.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:13 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:This isnt the place for that
This is the place for that. The Dragon Ball Super subsection pertains to all things related to the anime and manga for this particular series, and the thread creator never specified that this topic was exclusively relegated to the anime. You probably shouldn't accuse people discussing the manga of having an inferiority complex when, if anything, your declaration that this isn't the place for that (when no such thing was implied) would suggest that you're the only person harboring one.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Honestly, I now have to agree. Jiren is a terrible bland character who was given the most plot armor and asspulls of them all.

"He revealed his full power about 500 different times"....

He struggled against Omen Goku yet was suddenly able to defeat MUI Goku because he "got serious this time". Insane asspull. Jiren is now officially the worst character in all of Dragon Ball.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:15 pm

HeroR wrote:
Jigurashi wrote: He was never no nonsense though since if he was every person he fought since the special would have been eliminated the first time he fought them
He did one shotted Kale and she was saved by Caulifla right i don't remember that scene correctly.Also he one shotted Maji kayo and destroyed a SSB goku really fast in the special.
Mostly active on discord.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:18 pm

The gr wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Jigurashi wrote: He was never no nonsense though since if he was every person he fought since the special would have been eliminated the first time he fought them
He did one shotted Kale and she was saved by Caulifla right i don't remember that scene correctly.Also he one shotted Maji kayo and destroyed a SSB goku rather quick in the special.
He didn’t even push her out of the ring like he did with Hit. She landed in the arena. And he left Goku in the ring despite everything.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:22 pm

HeroR wrote:
He didn’t even push her out of the ring like he did with Hit. She landed in the arena. And he left Goku in the ring despite everything.
Wait what,why the hell he didn't took out Kale :?: . I was wrong about Jiren, still not the biggest Jiren fan or the biggest hater.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:26 pm

The gr wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Wait what,why the hell he didn't took out Kale :?: . I was wrong about Jiren, still not the biggest Jiren fan or the biggest hater.
Asked him. Jiren is really lousy with finishing people.
Kanassa wrote:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:28 pm

HeroR wrote:
Asked him. Jiren is really lousy with finishing people.
I'm not sure he would answer my question.
    Come to think about it, the only character he one hit ko was Maji kayo.

Miracles
    I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:33 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:I would list all of the reasons why Jiren is bland (not only because he doesn't make people laugh, Vegeta doesn't as well, but nobody considers him bland, so fuck your logic) but this entire thread is litterally full of critics and valid complaints so I don't want to waste my time. That said I don't hate Jiren, I like him for what he is: a wall to surpass, but that doesn't mean that he is any more interesting than that.
    No, a lot of people complain about Vegeta being bland cause of his prideful obsession.
    MUH FINAL FLASH MUH PRIDE MUH KAKARATTO

People's complaints aren't valid cause they are simply based on their feelings.
    ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
    Miracles wrote:Jiren told Goku to get lost in his first appearance.
    Jiren does a winning pose after sending his prey flying.
    Stepped on Goku's back when he was down.
    Told team 7 how does it feel to taste their last victory after defeating Anilaza.
    Clowned Vegeta for having a false exaggerated view of himself with impure punches.
    Rebuked Toppo for throwing away justice for destruction. Commended Vegeta for staying true to who he is.
    Jiren's character has been consistent.
    This 100%

People will just criticise Super without having actually payed attention to what they were watching

Also how did this thread basically turn into "this is why the manga is better?" Like really? This isnt the place for that (as if the manga crowd have some kind of inferiority complex over the anime)

Are people forgetting that Jiren was shown in the same way in the last manga chapter, as he has been in the anime? Cocky, arrogant, stand offish etc

The manga will be following the same Toriyama outlines that the anime followed.

The only difference is the TOP in the manga will be Toyotaro's Interpretation of the Toriyama/Toei anime TOP (The Toryiama/Toei anime of the TOP arc came first, it IS the quintessential canon that set the standard to follow. Toyotaro will just be offering a supplement to it/his interpretation)
    Well, what is the authoritative source for Super is simply up to Toriyama.
    However, you state a fact that the plot lines are followed by both. Jiren most likely will be portrayed the same as the anime.
    Also, I liked Dragonball Z anime better than the manga; Super anime slightly better than the manga.
    Due to the fight scenes usually being better. For me, the manga is just a preview of the living anime version.