When Dragonball returns in 2019 I hope they don't adapt the movie into episodes again

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

When Dragonball returns in 2019 I hope they don't adapt the movie into episodes again

Post by precita » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Since now we know the movie will be about Goku, I sure as hell hope when Dragonball returns as a series in 2019 we don't have to sit through a bunch of crappy movie adaption episodes again before getting to new stuff.

I now have a big fear of this happening, because all these new movies are intended to be canon, but they know kids who watch the series may not see the movies, so they purposely adapt the movies into eps. I hope as hell we don't have to suffer through 12+ eps of poorly animated movie adaptions of Movie 16 into episodes when DB comes back.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: When Dragonball returns in 2019 I hope they don't adapt the movie into episodes again

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:58 pm

I’m fairly certain that they will. Too bad for you maybe, but this is what Toei does and prefers. They want to milk the shit out of this series (which in my opinion, is a good thing).

DasMuse
Beyond Newbie

Re: When Dragonball returns in 2019 I hope they don't adapt the movie into episodes again

Post by DasMuse » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Since the title of the movie is Dragon Ball Super and not DBZ like BoG and RoF was, maybe they won't feel a need to and will just pick up where the movie left off. But I have a feeling there will be another movie before they continue with another anime series. Of course if they re-name the next series to something besides DBS, then everything I just said doesn't matter anyway.
Last edited by DasMuse on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:08 pm

We know that the first 2 movies were turned into arcs becuase Toriyama wanted them to be because of thier importance to Super's original arcs so if this movie is written in a way that doesn't impact what will be in the show, it might (and hopefully) not get an arc.
DasMuse wrote:I have a feeling there will be another movie before they continue with another anime series.
If Toei could make yearly DB movies they would've. the closest we'll see a new movie after this one will be 2021 or so.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DasMuse
Beyond Newbie

Post by DasMuse » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:11 pm

sintzu wrote:We know that the first 2 movies were turned into arcs becuase Toriyama wanted them to be because of thier importance to Super's original arcs so if this movie is written in a way that doesn't impact what will be in the show, it might (and hopefully) not get an arc.
DasMuse wrote:I have a feeling there will be another movie before they continue with another anime series.
If Toei could make yearly DB movies they would've. the closest we'll see a new movie after this one will be 2021 or so.
Without a series to work on, I don't see why another next year isn't possible.They're getting this one done in under a years time.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather have a series... But I was under the impression that DBS losing it's timeslot was a pretty big deal.
Last edited by DasMuse on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:11 pm

We don't even know if Super is returning in 2019 or not? It may be a series of movies for now on.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:25 pm

DasMuse wrote:Without a series to work on...
Everyone involved, including Toriyama have made sure to say it was just ending for the time being, which means there are some plans to bring it back later. The amount of $$$ the franchise has made thanks to an ongiong anime has went above and beyond everyone, including the companies expectations. Toriyama has said that he enjoys writing these stories so with all those taken into account, the anime's return is pretty much a sure thing as they've made it clear it's temporary, the anime has made them lots of $$$ and it's the fastest way to get Toriyama's stories out.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:37 pm

precita wrote:Since now we know the movie will be about Goku, I sure as hell hope when Dragonball returns as a series in 2019 we don't have to sit through a bunch of crappy movie adaption episodes again before getting to new stuff.

I now have a big fear of this happening, because all these new movies are intended to be canon, but they know kids who watch the series may not see the movies, so they purposely adapt the movies into eps. I hope as hell we don't have to suffer through 12+ eps of poorly animated movie adaptions of Movie 16 into episodes when DB comes back.
I can take it , for the kids like you said , and because that means the returning of dbs series episodes.
I skipped the beginning of dbs because I saw the movies , so I started to follow weekly the series after r.o.f arc , was not a biggie .... I watched those first episodes later on just for fun .
Remember this is suppose to be fun entertainment, not suffering is intended, and I’m sure if they come back it’ll be correcting poorly animation issues and stuff like that , they better learn about it ...
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:28 am

I would be ok if they re-told the film but actually did a good at fleshing out and expanding upon character beats in the movie. The execution of something like this is more important than the idea itself.

I think people would be more than willing to accept it if there were enough deviations or changes to the movie, and if it was actually well executed.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:01 am

JazzMazz wrote:I would be ok if they re-told the film but actually did a good at fleshing out and expanding upon character beats in the movie. The execution of something like this is more important than the idea itself.

I think people would be more than willing to accept it if there were enough deviations or changes to the movie, and if it was actually well executed.
From observation, most of the casual fans were okay with the retellings. It's the only way to explained why the DVDs of the Super retellings sold out despite the movies being much cheaper. The retellings also got good ratings on Toonami.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:16 am

JazzMazz wrote:I would be ok if they re-told the film but actually did a good at fleshing out and expanding upon character beats in the movie. The execution of something like this is more important than the idea itself.

That's exactly what i would prefer: they'd simply re-use the animation of the battle sequences. And flesh out the story and characters some more, to make it a real 'arc'. It's nice for the kids and i don't see why the real Dragon Ball-fan would have an objection against that, if done properly and not like more than 15+-episodes long. I think it would be a great way to re-introduce the series after let's say July 2019, when the movie will no longer run in the theatres.

The animation of the first two movies looked completely different from Super. They were pretty much Z-movies. But the new movie seems defintely more like the series in terms of animation-style. It would be more easy for them to integrate it into episodes, unlike with BOG and ROF.

I like a 15 orso epsiode-remake within the new series, but they could just re-use the existing animation of the movie, with maybe some extra fight material they haven't shown in the movie. Why not? Dvd's sometimes also have some extented parts in comparison to the theatrical version. It will be a commercial success nontheless. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:29 am

I doubt that they'll do that, especially if the show returns a few months after the release of the film.

The Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' retellings felt like last-minute decisions by Toei because they were probably well aware of the shows poor scheduling, so they figured it would be a good idea to smash out these retellings and see if things get better down the line once they got into the new material.

They also probably did it so that the stories could officially be under the 'Super' title. They are really important to Super's overall plot with stuff like the introduction of Beerus and Whis, Goku and Beerus' rivalry, teasing Ultra Instinct, Freeza's resurrection and his Golden form, Goku and Vegeta reaching the power of the gods etc.

Retelling this brand new movie would be such a bad idea. It's also a 'Super' movie, which makes a retelling seem more unlikely. The first two retellings of Super were so poorly received that I doubt Toei would try to do that again if and when the show comes back.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:55 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: The first two retellings of Super were so poorly received that I doubt Toei would try to do that again if and when the show comes back.

They weren't. These Blue-Rays were out of stock pretty much the same day they were released.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:59 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I doubt that they'll do that, especially if the show returns a few months after the release of the film.

The Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' retellings felt like last-minute decisions by Toei because they were probably well aware of the shows poor scheduling, so they figured it would be a good idea to smash out these retellings and see if things get better down the line once they got into the new material.

They also probably did it so that the stories could officially be under the 'Super' title. They are really important to Super's overall plot with stuff like the introduction of Beerus and Whis, Goku and Beerus' rivalry, teasing Ultra Instinct, Freeza's resurrection and his Golden form, Goku and Vegeta reaching the power of the gods etc.

Retelling this brand new movie would be such a bad idea. It's also a 'Super' movie, which makes a retelling seem more unlikely. The first two retellings of Super were so poorly received that I doubt Toei would try to do that again if and when the show comes back.
It was actually Toriyama's idea for them to retell and he added stuff like the "Namekian book of Legends".

Also were they really poorly received? They sold and done well especially overseas, I don't think there is anything to indicate to Toei it was poorly received, in fact if anything it is the opposite message.

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:04 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: The Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' retellings felt like last-minute decisions by Toei because they were probably well aware of the shows poor scheduling, so they figured it would be a good idea to smash out these retellings and see if things get better down the line once they got into the new material.
I'm fairly certain that retelling the movies' events in Super was Toriyama's idea.

As for the topic – if the new movie is as significant to the main story of DB as BoG and FnF was, it's very likely that they will retell it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:12 am

Imagine if the movie got retold with Yamamuro designs... :lol: ... actually I don't wanna imagine that... :|

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:24 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I doubt that they'll do that, especially if the show returns a few months after the release of the film.

It was actually Toriyama's idea for them to retell and he added stuff like the "Namekian book of Legends".

Also were they really poorly received? They sold and done well especially overseas, I don't think there is anything to indicate to Toei it was poorly received, in fact if anything it is the opposite message.
I actually had no idea that the retellings were Toriyama's idea.

And when I said "poorly received", I meant the criticisms towards how the retellings were done and how they felt like much more inferior versions to their movie counterpart, not their Blu-ray and DVD sales.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:49 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

I actually had no idea that the retellings were Toriyama's idea.

And when I said "poorly received", I meant the criticisms towards how the retellings were done and how they felt like much more inferior versions to their movie counterpart, not their Blu-ray and DVD sales.
Yeah, but that doesn't count for an argument for TOEI not to do it anymore. They just look at how it sells to make matters objective.
If it sells, then it's successfull in their opinion.
Personally i liked the retelling of BOG, ROF i liked a little bit less because of the inferior animation. I can understand why they integrate canon movies in general into the series, they don't want to interrupt the continuity of the series, canon has always been part of the main series for a reason.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:56 am

Mister_Popo wrote:Yeah, but that doesn't count for an argument for TOEI not to do it anymore. They just look at how it sells to make matters objective.
If it sells, then it's successfull in their opinion.
Personally i liked the retelling of BOG, ROF i liked a little bit less because of the inferior animation. I can understand why they integrate canon movies in general into the series, they don't want to interrupt the continuity of the series, canon has always been part of the main series for a reason.
Yeah, I get that. They want to capitalise off of the series as much as possible, so retelling this movie makes a lot of sense in that regard. But I still feel like they won't do it this time purely because it's a 'Super' movie. Maybe this movie will be a transition of sorts, not just in terms of story but also in terms of the shows future art and animation.

I thought the Battle of Gods retelling was decent and the Resurrection 'F' retelling was pretty bad. The only real benefit I got from the retellings were the fantastic episodes that took place between the stories (Episodes 15-18).

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:03 am

Dragon Ball Kai made a quick catch-up whereas Dragon Ball Super had two long ass seasons of movie stories which were really boring and dull to watch plus, it didn't help that Super's animation was underwhelming and the soundtrack was just about serviceable.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.