Jiren is a better character now

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Jiren is a better character now

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:44 pm

Raphael_Z wrote:I think that Jiren attacking the U7's spectators was a REALLY low thing to do. If anything, I'm surprised we didn't get reaction shots of his teammates disapproving of his actions (specially Toppo).

To me, Jiren represents the trope of the Arrogant Kung Fu Guy who SEEMS to be nice...until he starts loosing which is when his true despicable personality comes out. He's definitely having a mental breakdown.

Imagine a super nice guy superstar football player who looses his cool after being defeated by a "lesser team" and then brings a gun to shoot his rival's fans/friends in the audience. Definitely NOT COOL.
I think that is the beauty of Jiren's journey in the series. That is what character development is all about, he was introduced as a really stand up guy with no facial expressions whatsoever and ended up broken inside, shooting into the crowd like a deranged man, lying to himself just to avoid accepting the truth. The defeat of the undefeateable. He even hesitated to eliminate Goku. Wonder what's in store for him tonight.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:24 am

You know what? It was probably too little too late for most, but I'd say 130 and 131 redeemed Jiren. They actually gave him an arc, some humanity and a decent amount of emotional depth for a guy who appeared to be nothing more than a brick wall.

Really, they just needed to set this stuff up earlier. Give him a scene in the recruitment arc showing off his arrogance. Make it clearer that his strength comes from obsession so people don't spend a year speculating about some fantastical origin for it before dropping the backstory flashback. And on that note, if you must have that stupid flashback, don't drop it right near the very end. That's how you fix Jiren.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:11 am

I believe 131 is a start for an infinitely better character. I very much enjoyed jiren in 131.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:09 am

Toei really took a slow burn approach with Jiren's character. And while the execution left a lot to be desired, his character arc overall, was at the very least acceptable to Dragon Ball's standards of antagonists.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:01 pm

Something that is not praised enough is Jiren's voice actor.
After Jiren started talking more, his voice actor finally showed what he could and his performance in episode 130/131 is incredible. Episode 130 in particular is like what episode 66 was for Zamasu's voice actor.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:38 pm

Kanious wrote:I think it would have been better if Toppo never mentioned Jiren as his BEST FRIEND.
Never said best friend. I’m pretty sure he said SWORN friend Jiren.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:51 pm

Jiren will only be better to me if he does justice poses with his crew since he's trying to mellow out and make friends. Toppo/Jiren Dab of Justice will get my respects.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:15 am

Episode 130 and 131 are the only time that I enjoy Jiren character it probably because he show emotion and a little depth.