"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Post by Exline » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:47 pm

sangofe wrote:
Exline wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:Some work of studio yapiko,it looks extremely good to me animation wise:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ5ZVpnaGDg
Whatever that was... I NEED more of it.

It's actually really good animation. It's making me more excited for all the talent being part of this new movie.
I'm shocked a French company is helping out. Well, technically I guess they're not French since they're based in Japan but got started by French people...
Yeah I thought the same.
Damn could you imagine the possibility of Super's animation being greater with their assistance? Such a shame that there schedules didn't allow them to work alongside them,

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:17 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Can’t have a superb Dragonball Movie without the one and only Yuyu Takahashi right!? He IS recognised as the Nr. 1 animator currently. Natoshi Shida may be good - very good in fact. But Takahashi still remains at the top.
Shida is much better than Takahashi. His work in ep130 is better than anything I've seen Takahashi do. Takahashi is close, and his KA is really great too, but Shida with his camera rotations, crazy movements and effects is just more advanced in every way.

Takahashi is definitely a bit overrated, he is one of the best, but I feel like people call him number 1 because he uses the art style from the Buu saga. With KA alone, I would put him at the level of Higashide and Nikaido, maybe a bit better due to his detailed art, but Shida is on a class of his own.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:36 pm

Amir wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:Can’t have a superb Dragonball Movie without the one and only Yuyu Takahashi right!? He IS recognised as the Nr. 1 animator currently. Natoshi Shida may be good - very good in fact. But Takahashi still remains at the top.
Shida is much better than Takahashi. His work in ep130 is better than anything I've seen Takahashi do. Takahashi is close, and his KA is really great too, but Shida with his camera rotations, crazy movements and effects is just more advanced in every way.

Takahashi is definitely a bit overrated, he is one of the best, but I feel like people call him number 1 because he uses the art style from the Buu saga. With KA alone, I would put him at the level of Higashide and Nikaido, maybe a bit better due to his detailed art, but Shida is on a class of his own.
People are overrating Takahashi. He is great but people shouldn't say that he is better than Shida when he is not.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:38 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:Has anyone tried to draw MUI in the new artstyle? The form is Shiny AF so Super's artstyle was better for it probably.

IMO it wont look that good in the new artstyle.
I think they can find a way to make it for this new artstyle.
Majinwarman

KameNinja45
Beyond Newbie

Post by KameNinja45 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:17 pm

I think a lot of people say Takahashi is better than Shida because of his art, but Shida's art is just as amazing. We just don't see it nearly as often.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:30 pm

Is it highly possible that we will see Tate in this movie.
Mostly active on discord.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:33 pm

The gr wrote:Is it highly possible that we will see Tate in this movie.
I think so. It just comes down to Tate's schedule and what parts do they need him to do.
Majinwarman

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:03 am

So um, any speculation on staff who people want or think might work on the film?

I wouldn't put it past Tate being on the film, and considering how much he did for One Piece film: Z, and the fact his also presumed to have animated the teaser trailer, I think its safe to say Ryo Onishi is going to pop up to do something.

Judging by there involvement on Super, what would people say the probabilty of Kenta Yokoya, Urata Yukihiro and Ken Otsuka contributing something to the film? I feel like it would be great opportunity for everyone to highlight how nuts their work can be, espicially considering a lot of them had fairly limited and lacklustre runs on Super.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:31 am

So why is it that a thread like this would be stickied, one day after it was made but then something like the Dragon Ball Super Official Announcement & Discussion Thread which is the most viewed and replied to topic on the website and where pretty much all the news on the series goes to, hasn't been stickied in the three years that it's been made?

I'm not knocking anything, I'm genuinely just curious about it. Like how the Fact Checker was stickied even though that stopped being updated with Episode 51 and hasn't had a post at all in a month but then the TV Ratings thread isn't stickied even though that's active and updated every week.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:34 am

Bullza wrote:So why is it that a thread like this would be stickied, one day after it was made but then something like the Dragon Ball Super Official Announcement & Discussion Thread which is the most viewed and replied to topic on the website and where pretty much all the news on the series goes to, hasn't been stickied in the three years that it's been made?

I'm not knocking anything, I'm genuinely just curious about it. Like how the Fact Checker was stickied even though that stopped being updated with Episode 51 and hasn't had a post at all in a month but then the TV Ratings thread isn't stickied even though that's active and updated every week.
Well, I guess moderator creation and approval has something to do with it.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:18 am

I'm surprised that they're using a French studio on the animation, but their work is very impressive. Hoping for great fights in this.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:08 am

Bullza wrote:So why is it that a thread like this would be stickied, one day after it was made but then something like the Dragon Ball Super Official Announcement & Discussion Thread which is the most viewed and replied to topic on the website and where pretty much all the news on the series goes to, hasn't been stickied in the three years that it's been made?

Obviously the mods are being subjective to what they feel like making sticky.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:17 am

Awesome thread Ajay, I'm glad we finally have a thread to discuss animation specifically related to the upcoming movie.
It's nice to see Shintani was picked over an audition and not because of his connections with Nagamine, it really means Shintani was the perfect designer for the approach they were going for.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:16 am

So what non-Toei animators would you guys like to see work on this movie?

It would be a dream for me if Naoki Kobayashi worked on this movie. He made lots of absolutely fantastic fight scenes on Naruto/Boruto such as Kakashi vs Obito, Sakura vs Shin, and many, many more.

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/43754
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/43896
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/7002

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:30 pm

After almost 3 years dealing with DBS messy schedule, it's kinda strange that everything seems going well behind the scenes with this Movie.

If they've been working on this designs for one year and with feedback from Toriyama, seems like this franchise is about to enter a new era.
I'm not seeing why they would work so hard, if they would only use those designs for the 20th Movie.

Toriyama keeps surprising me by how involved he is with the franchise nowadays. He checks everything.

dnavenom
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dnavenom » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:38 pm

Firebolt wrote:So what non-Toei animators would you guys like to see work on this movie?

It would be a dream for me if Naoki Kobayashi worked on this movie. He made lots of absolutely fantastic fight scenes on Naruto/Boruto such as Kakashi vs Obito, Sakura vs Shin, and many, many more.

Naruto always felt like watching the ninja-asian version of South park :) Why would anyone want this instead of Shida/Takahashi`s DBS? No insult but DB is far better than Naruto or One piece will ever be. More liked also. I don`t remember people chanting Naruto on city squares :) There are only 3 things that get people on the streets chanting: The pope, Football and DBS lately.

When you have a tight schedule, you can doubt what path to choose: better movements, FLUIDITY (hate this word already) or more shading and generally better character art, keyshots and so on. But with a movie that has all the time they want, there is no point to compromise. You can have both! DB movies always had a good quality, I`m pretty sure they`ll tackle it again. Stop comparing DB to Naruto and One piece. OPM, FMA, Bleach even, I can understand. But these 2 are not anime. They are like Pokemon or Chichan (I liked this one)...

Honestly I see no need for DBS`s animation style to change. Just when we got on the right track with Super in TOP. There is so much anime in the world and DB is unique among them. Why change the most loved anime of all time? Someone should make a pole about what style of animation, we, the fans want and settle this once and for all.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:56 pm

dnavenom wrote:
Firebolt wrote:So what non-Toei animators would you guys like to see work on this movie?

Naruto always felt like watching the ninja-asian version of South park :) Why would anyone want this instead of Shida/Takahashi`s DBS? No insult but DB is far better than Naruto or One piece will ever be. More liked also. I don`t remember people chanting Naruto on city squares :) There are only 3 things that get people on the streets chanting: The pope, Football and DBS lately.

When you have a tight schedule, you can doubt what path to choose: better movements, FLUIDITY (hate this word already) or more shading and generally better character art, keyshots and so on. But with a movie that has all the time they want, there is no point to compromise. You can have both! DB movies always had a good quality, I`m pretty sure they`ll tackle it again. Stop comparing DB to Naruto and One piece. OPM, FMA, Bleach even, I can understand. But these 2 are not anime. They are like Pokemon or Chichan (I liked this one)...

Honestly I see no need for DBS`s animation style to change. Just when we got on the right track with Super in TOP. There is so much anime in the world and DB is unique among them. Why change the most loved anime of all time? Someone should make a pole about what style of animation, we, the fans want and settle this once and for all.
One Piece is the biggest anime and manga in Japan. Naruto is around as known as DB is. Saying they aren't anime makes you sound stupid. And no need for a pole. If you look around there is only praise for the new style with a small minority disliking it. Stop hyping up DB. Pokemon is possibly more popular and loved. DB can't compare to the amount of praise anime movies like Your Name or Spirited Away got. DB is big but it isn't different than any other anime in some regards. Just wait and see. The fluidity of this movie from its character acting to its fights will blow anything db has ever made out of the water.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:31 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
dnavenom wrote:

One Piece is the biggest anime and manga in Japan. Naruto is around as known as DB is. Saying they aren't anime makes you sound stupid. And no need for a pole. If you look around there is only praise for the new style with a small minority disliking it. Stop hyping up DB. Pokemon is possibly more popular and loved. DB can't compare to the amount of praise anime movies like Your Name or Spirited Away got. DB is big but it isn't different than any other anime in some regards. Just wait and see. The fluidity of this movie from its character acting to its fights will blow anything db has ever made out of the water.
Do we know how many freelancer animators are going to be on the film? I know that a few other studios are involved with this project but I wanted to know if we could get some people that really great freelancers like Shida and Takahashi.
Majinwarman

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:36 am

In terms of regular Toei Animation staff, I imagine Tate Naoki and Oonishi Ryou will be providing quite a bit of animation since Tate was so heavily involved in Dragon Ball and Oonishi is a connection of Nagamine's. They would also do really well with the designs Shintani is providing. I also suspect that Kuroyanagi Kenji will be involved since a small number of lines is typically his thing.
dnavenom wrote:

Those scenes are better animated and more expressive than anything in Dragon Ball. Detailed drawings don't automatically equal quality, although I wouldn't exactly call what Kobayashi did in those examples simple. The shapes of his effects and the smears take a lot of skill and experience to make move.

There's a reason why veteran animators and directors are experimenting and recruiting young new staff. The Japanese animation industry has always been about experimenting, it's how we got every series and film from the beginning of time until now. How is this difficult to consider?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:48 am

JulieYBM wrote:In terms of regular Toei Animation staff, I imagine Tate Naoki and Oonishi Ryou will be providing quite a bit of animation since Tate was so heavily involved in Dragon Ball and Oonishi is a connection of Nagamine's. They would also do really well with the designs Shintani is providing. I also suspect that Kuroyanagi Kenji will be involved since a small number of lines is typically his thing.
dnavenom wrote:

Those scenes are better animated and more expressive than anything in Dragon Ball. Detailed drawings don't automatically equal quality, although I wouldn't exactly call what Kobayashi did in those examples simple. The shapes of his effects and the smears take a lot of skill and experience to make move.

There's a reason why veteran animators and directors are experimenting and recruiting young new staff. The Japanese animation industry has always been about experimenting, it's how we got every series and film from the beginning of time until now. How is this difficult to consider?
I do think that Toei is good at getting young animators. I just want some of them to work on Dragon Ball a little more.
Majinwarman