"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Post by FlpShimizu » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:44 am

I'm used to episodes not being visually consistent since it was already really frequent during DBZ's run, so I consider myself satisfied with scenes looking different as long as they all look good.

That said, I absolutely loved the trailer.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:48 am

FlpShimizu wrote:I'm used to episodes not being visually consistent since it was already really frequent during DBZ's run, so I consider myself satisfied with scenes looking different as long as they all look good.

That said, I absolutely loved the trailer.
I think that they will start fixing up scenes if they look too different.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:18 pm

I would love to have a new anime wtih this new movie artstyle
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:01 pm

emperior wrote:I have read some people complain about art inconsistency in the trailer, and while that is a fine complain I am actually happy animators have been given freedom to deviate a little from the models.
We are still getting the minimalistic shading, jet black hair and good colors so the new designs are still being showed. It’s just that the trailer was off-model, but wasn’t the point of this new simpler designs the flexibility they offer to animators?
And didn’t we criticise Yamamuro for his approach to movies, where he was correcting literally everything?
I wouldn’t be opposed to Shintani correcting a lot of drawings here and there to provide more visual consistency, but the approach he is seemingly taking is also fine.
Presumably they're still animating so Shintani may comb over things to make them a little more consistent. Things like that close up shot of SSGSS Goku, I expect will be corrected for the final film.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 14/07]

Post by cuartas » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:09 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
cuartas wrote:
Hit!! wrote:
Hating for the sake of hating is not "thinking different".
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

This is not hating for the sake of hating
Funny thing is, that abomination comes after this masterpiece (I assume it's Takahashi):

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

And this trailer just shows how the animators are throwing drawings on their own, without a minimal intent of consistency
There is nothing particularly wrong with that SSG shot. Its simply a transformation that has softer linework due to the nature of the transformation making the characters themselves softer. Not sure what your point at the nose for, its a half moon nose, something Tate did a lot on Super. The eye shape is certainly unique to the design on closer inspection, but I don't necessarily see the problem with it, and the softer lines under the eyes, are again, suited to the relaxed nature of the expression.
- The nose is the same we all hated on Yamamuro, the hole instead a nose, now is not bad, how convenient
- You don't see a problem, I do.
- The lines never were that way, not even on shintani SSJG design

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:04 pm

emperior wrote:I have read some people complain about art inconsistency in the trailer, and while that is a fine complain I am actually happy animators have been given freedom to deviate a little from the models.
We are still getting the minimalistic shading, jet black hair and good colors so the new designs are still being showed. It’s just that the trailer was off-model, but wasn’t the point of this new simpler designs the flexibility they offer to animators?
And didn’t we criticise Yamamuro for his approach to movies, where he was correcting literally everything?
I wouldn’t be opposed to Shintani correcting a lot of drawings here and there to provide more visual consistency, but the approach he is seemingly taking is also fine.
It's not necessarily wanting everything to look uniform like it was all drawn by one person, but just consistency in all of the basic elements, and that can still be achieved even while retaining every animator's unique idiosyncrasies. Like in the Studio Junio episodes in Dragon Ball/Z, everything's consistent yet I can easily distinguish Takeo Ide and Maski Sato's work. Takeo Ide tends to draw everything very slim and angular, with thinner linework, more expressive animation, big & pointy ears, cartoony mouth movements - watch out for the circular mouths in particular, somewhat sloppy facial features, and huge, detailed teeth:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

And then Masaki Sato's the class show off: super detailed drawings with varied linework, complex shading, and big eyes. Even in the 22nd TB, Piccolo, and 23rd TB arcs his style is easy to pick out as it most closely resembled the eventual "Z Style":
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

But despite these differences, they're still prettyy consistent with each other, whereas Yuya Takahashi's stuff looks like a completely different era surrounded by Shintani's stuff (well, the style is, but you get what I mean :P ). That's fine from episode to episode but in one feature, it's pretty jarring to see a style shift at that level.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:46 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
It's not necessarily wanting everything to look uniform like it was all drawn by one person, but just consistency in all of the basic elements, and that can still be achieved even while retaining every animator's unique idiosyncrasies. Like in the Studio Junio episodes in Dragon Ball/Z, everything's consistent yet I can easily distinguish Takeo Ide and Maski Sato's work. Takeo Ide tends to draw everything very slim and angular, with thinner linework, more expressive animation, big & pointy ears, cartoony mouth movements - watch out for the circular mouths in particular, somewhat sloppy facial features, and huge, detailed teeth:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

And then Masaki Sato's the class show off: super detailed drawings with varied linework, complex shading, and big eyes. Even in the 22nd TB, Piccolo, and 23rd TB arcs his style is easy to pick out as it most closely resembled the eventual "Z Style":
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

But despite these differences, they're still prettyy consistent with each other, whereas Yuya Takahashi's stuff looks like a completely different era surrounded by Shintani's stuff (well, the style is, but you get what I mean :P ). That's fine from episode to episode but in one feature, it's pretty jarring to see a style shift at that level.
Agreed. It kind of ruins the immersion. Like for those people who were watching the trailer and then instantly noticed the brief shift to CG. It just overall feels more put together when everything has consistency. Its funny because Super’s problem was it’s lack consistency in writing but now that i think about it, it kinda had some consistency problems in art aswell.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:59 am

So they're using CGI again from the looks of it but it seems far better than the last two movies. Must have pumped more money into this one.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:23 am

Bullza wrote:So they're using CGI again from the looks of it but it seems far better than the last two movies. Must have pumped more money into this one.
Better sure, but watching it on the TV it sticks out even more and it was only in the trailer for a few seconds, very well could be in the film for a few minutes! That is the only worry I have.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:03 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Bullza wrote:So they're using CGI again from the looks of it but it seems far better than the last two movies. Must have pumped more money into this one.
Better sure, but watching it on the TV it sticks out even more and it was only in the trailer for a few seconds, very well could be in the film for a few minutes! That is the only worry I have.
It makes me wonder why we even have CG. What’s the point?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:55 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
CGI can blend extremely well with traditional 2D animation.

It just takes a lot of effort and talent

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:59 am

jeffbr92 wrote:I would love to have a new anime wtih this new movie artstyle
That would be fantastic

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:25 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:It makes me wonder why we even have CG. What’s the point?
It might just be easier or maybe the animators just aren't talented enough to do it properly like other movies.

It's not really a big deal.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:36 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Better sure, but watching it on the TV it sticks out even more and it was only in the trailer for a few seconds, very well could be in the film for a few minutes! That is the only worry I have.
CGI can blend extremely well with traditional 2D animation.

It just takes a lot of effort and talent
To be honest, I think they did a pretty good job this time as it fooled me numerous times watching the trailer until someone else pointed it out. Most of the people who see the movie will never even notice it becaue most people won’t be looking for it or have the knowledge of it like a lot of the hardcore animation fans on Kanzenshuu.

It looks way better than BOG or ROF.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:21 pm

Of all the cuts I've seen so far I definitely like Onishi's the least. The faces just look...off. Especially the eyes and their placement.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:57 pm

So no golden clothes as they turn SSJ right? Damn, I wish they returned with that
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:01 am

I love that Vegeta will have red hair finally! Looks so good on him.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:20 am

I hope Shintani corrects some of Onishi's scenes, his characters looked too young with questionable placements and the bad Yamamuro nose.
Nothing really bad but could be better.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:52 pm

I don't like how they kept the eyes also changing in transformations for Goku. Base and SSG similar eyes yet SS/SSGSS have different but similar eyes to each other so going from Base to SS to SSG to SSGSS we'll have different eye shapes...

This was the one perfect opportunity to a get unified eye shape for Goku.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:29 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I don't like how they kept the eyes also changing in transformations for Goku. Base and SSG similar eyes yet SS/SSGSS have different but similar eyes to each other so going from Base to SS to SSG to SSGSS we'll have different eye shapes...

This was the one perfect opportunity to a get unified eye shape for Goku.
Why? It was always like that. SSJ has outlined, aggressive eyes which are shared with Blue. SSG has outlined eyes, but calmer/more relaxed in a shape which fits in the middle between base eyes and SSJ’s.
I prefer this approach, as it makes the transformations a little more unique.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical