"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:42 pm

emperior wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I don't like how they kept the eyes also changing in transformations for Goku. Base and SSG similar eyes yet SS/SSGSS have different but similar eyes to each other so going from Base to SS to SSG to SSGSS we'll have different eye shapes...

This was the one perfect opportunity to a get unified eye shape for Goku.
Why? It was always like that. SSJ has outlined, aggressive eyes which are shared with Blue. SSG has outlined eyes, but calmer/more relaxed in a shape which fits in the middle between base eyes and SSJ’s.
I prefer this approach, as it makes the transformations a little more unique.
Because it looks silly. This was the perfect opportunity to undo these and have one set of eye shapes for Goku. They might aswell give UI Goku hexagonal eyes then! Why stop there!

Designs like hair shape, colour etc should make transformations unique not their eye shape.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:18 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
emperior wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I don't like how they kept the eyes also changing in transformations for Goku. Base and SSG similar eyes yet SS/SSGSS have different but similar eyes to each other so going from Base to SS to SSG to SSGSS we'll have different eye shapes...

Why? It was always like that. SSJ has outlined, aggressive eyes which are shared with Blue. SSG has outlined eyes, but calmer/more relaxed in a shape which fits in the middle between base eyes and SSJ’s.
Because it looks silly. This was the perfect opportunity to undo these and have one set of eye shapes for Goku. They might aswell give UI Goku hexagonal eyes then! Why stop there!

Designs like hair shape, colour etc should make transformations unique not their eye shape.
Different eye shape has always been an essentially differing thing in the SS transformations so I don't think its really justified blaming Shintani for something that is not only visually effective, but also has some bit of meaning to it.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:25 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
emperior wrote:

I don’t understand exactly what you would want. Would you like to see Goku always keeping his “open” base eyes even when he transforms?
Because that would be horrible, as Goku never looked like that when he transformed.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:42 pm

emperior wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
emperior wrote: Why? It was always like that. SSJ has outlined, aggressive eyes which are shared with Blue. SSG has outlined eyes, but calmer/more relaxed in a shape which fits in the middle between base eyes and SSJ’s.

I don’t understand exactly what you would want. Would you like to see Goku always keeping his “open” base eyes even when he transforms?
Because that would be horrible, as Goku never looked like that when he transformed.
Part of the point of having Goku's close up in the Super Saiyan transformation is to make him appear more solid, and menacing. I don't see why they would undo this idea. It may look silly, but it has a obvious visual meaning.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:43 pm

SSG, a transformation, literally has the exact same eye shape as Base Goku. No reason SS and by extension SSGSS shouldn't in that case.

It's less me blaming Shintani and more so feeling like it's a missed opportunity here. I don't care how things were done before for the first time in forever we're getting a new designer and this was something I was hoping would be fixed or rather changed. It's so godamn jarring whenever Goku goes from base to SS.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:48 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:SSG, a transformation, literally has the exact same eye shape as Base Goku. No reason SS and by extension SSGSS shouldn't in that case.

It's less me blaming Shintani and more so feeling like it's a missed opportunity here. I don't care how things were done before for the first time in forever we're getting a new designer and this was something I was hoping would be fixed or rather changed. It's so godamn jarring whenever Goku goes from base to SS.
Goku had that eye shape when he mastered SSJ in preparation for the Cell Games. When he is relaxed, his eyes should look like that as a SSJ but considering how he only transforms during fights, it makes sense that he sports a more aggressive look with the iconic aggressive eyes Goku always had ever since he first transformed on Namek.
I understand what you mean though, but I doubt they will ever change how Goku’s eyes look when he transforms.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:53 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:SSG, a transformation, literally has the exact same eye shape as Base Goku. No reason SS and by extension SSGSS shouldn't in that case.

So, it was a missed opportunity to fix something, by making it worse and missing the entire point of that creative decision in the first place?

SSG has Goku's regular eye shape, I think, because unlike SS and SSB, its a softer transformation in a sense. It is a far more calming form, despite that, the eye is still closed off, demonstrating a certain degree more intensity than regular base Goku.

In contrast, SS and SSB, have a more slitted, angular eye shape to give more fierce expression, which falls into the idea of those forms being far more aggressive than Goku's base. As such, in these forms, its far easier to have Goku portray more intense expressions than he did in his base and even SSG form.

In the most basic level, the different eyes shapes reflect something about how these transformations effect Goku's character, by directing effecting how his expressions. I don't see why would you want to remove such a basic level of visual communication from the character.

Why fix something, if the change is only really taking away from what is said by intentionally drawing the characters that way?

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:10 pm

emperior wrote: Goku had that eye shape when he mastered SSJ in preparation for the Cell Games. When he is relaxed, his eyes should look like that as a SSJ but considering how he only transforms during fights, it makes sense that he sports a more aggressive look with the iconic aggressive eyes Goku always had ever since he first transformed on Namek.
I was about to mention this myself, but just to add: Super Saiyan Blue has also shown relaxed eyes on occasion. Super Saiyan God's eyes appear a little less menacing in general, but that's suggested in Battle of Gods to be a result of Goku having an even more youthful appearance than normal while in that form.

If I had to critique these designs, I feel that they definitely could have done more to make Blue stand out from the initial blonde transformation, even if just a little. It's literally copypasted in the design sheets, whereas Yamamuro at least tried to make it more unique by giving it the upward bang while excluding said bang from Super Saiyan 1's hair.

MonkeyKing16
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MonkeyKing16 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:14 am

I just realized something about this new Broly's design. Green is a prominent color with Broly, and this version of Broly wears purple tights this time. The Hulk is a green skinned monster who is prominently depicted wearing purple pants.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:34 am

If anyone’s interested, Kevin from Sakugablog wrote an article about the new movie for Crunchyroll.

It’s a good read that goes into depth about the visuals of the potential and visuals of the new movie.

Do people agree with his analysis in the article about the visuals of the new film?

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:24 am

JazzMazz wrote:If anyone’s interested, Kevin from Sakugablog wrote an article about the new movie for Crunchyroll.

It’s a good read that goes into depth about the visuals of the potential and visuals of the new movie.

Do people agree with his analysis in the article about the visuals of the new film?
That article was nice to read and I agree that Dragon Ball can now finally move in the right direction and improve their visuals. This will certainly bring interest back into Dragon Ball. Though I still wish it still wasn't a Brolli film this time around.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:07 am

Nakatsuru Katsuyoshi is the character designer of the upcoming Digimon Adventure film, so don't expect him to work on this film much, if at all.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:26 pm

What was the last thing Nakatsuru did for Dragon Ball anyway? He wasn't on Super at all, was he?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:56 pm

Shaddy wrote:What was the last thing Nakatsuru did for Dragon Ball anyway? He wasn't on Super at all, was he?
Key animation for Chi-Chi chasing the Muten Roushi in Episode #1.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:24 pm

After seeing all the love that was a given to Super Saiyan 2 in Super, I can't hold to not express my dissatisfaction knowing this transformation will be absent on the movie, oh and SSJ3 is too. Super Saiyan God is lame, this form should be long abandoned after Blue's debut.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:45 am

Noah wrote:After seeing all the love that was a given to Super Saiyan 2 in Super, I can't hold to not express my dissatisfaction knowing this transformation will be absent on the movie, oh and SSJ3 is too. Super Saiyan God is lame, this form should be long abandoned after Blue's debut.
SSJ3 is Irrelevant honestly. It’s a relic of the Boo arc that won’t go away like fusion. There’s really no reason for Goku to ever use SSJ3 again when he has God powers.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:30 am

bleed0range wrote:
Noah wrote:After seeing all the love that was a given to Super Saiyan 2 in Super, I can't hold to not express my dissatisfaction knowing this transformation will be absent on the movie, oh and SSJ3 is too. Super Saiyan God is lame, this form should be long abandoned after Blue's debut.
SSJ3 is Irrelevant honestly. It’s a relic of the Boo arc that won’t go away like fusion. There’s really no reason for Goku to ever use SSJ3 again when he has God powers.
He does use it to spar against people whom may be at that level like andorid 17, or toppo. He still DOES use it, but not that much. But yeah, for this movie. Makes no sense since broly is so powerful and this is serious.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:31 am

bleed0range wrote:SSJ3 is Irrelevant honestly. It’s a relic of the Boo arc that won’t go away like fusion. There’s really no reason for Goku to ever use SSJ3 again when he has God powers.
I don't think so. He used a few times in Super (Beerus, Trunks, Illusion enemies, Kale and Caulifla). Also in the final episode the Saiyan girls want Cabba to train with them to learn SSJ3.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:35 am

Noah wrote:
bleed0range wrote:SSJ3 is Irrelevant honestly. It’s a relic of the Boo arc that won’t go away like fusion. There’s really no reason for Goku to ever use SSJ3 again when he has God powers.
I don't think so. He used a few times in Super (Beerus, Trunks, Illusion enemies, Kale and Caulifla). Also in the final episode the Saiyan girls want Cabba to train with them to learn SSJ3.
Berrus, well yeah since he used in the movies. Trunks...okay. For like a split second just to catch his sword. He only used it for like 5 seconds in both of those other examples, it was just toei throwing a bone. None of those bad berrus and trunks had any real reason why the form was used other then pointless fan service.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:36 am

This is a conversation better suited to the general discussion thread. Try to stick to animation here~! Thanks.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.