Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular
Posts: 537
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:28 pm

Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:01 am

Is it perfect? No, but I did like how it expanded a bit of the lore and added fun new characters to help shape this series from being more unique to the rest. The original series will always be better but this had it's charm. While GT will surprisingly have the better ending compared to the others, Super's ending is still nice.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

User avatar
ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:16 am

Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:41 am

I have already harped on the show's flaws in the past. So....

It's weird. Great ideas with the highest of highs and lowest of lows. It's pretty much the movies again with self-contained plots, yet somehow it manages to be episodic due to have multiple writers. Job well done to Toei for coming together and making some of the most iconic episodes ever produced in Dragon Ball. It honestly gives me hope for the future. And I think that's what I'll remember the Super anime most for. Opening doors for better Dragon Ball. But I've enjoyed my time with it. Always up for Son Goku and friends punching baddies. :thumbup:

User avatar
SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:54 am

Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Post by SsjCookie » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:55 am

I consider it mediocre at best.

Some things I enjoyed, but I still didn't like many things about it.
Like the fact that the characters seem to be frozen in time, there are no mayor changes to them despite the progress of time.
Goten and Trunks being the prime example.

And There is almost no battle damage in DBS which takes a lot away from the mayor impact a brutal battle carries.

And the anime art is way too scrawny for my taste, if I want to watch stick people I'll go watch America's next top model instead. :problem:

User avatar
Vegeta_Sama
Regular
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:59 pm
Location: Capsule Corporation

Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:49 am

SsjCookie wrote:
And the anime art is way too scrawny for my taste, if I want to watch stick people I'll go watch America's next top model instead. :problem:
To be fair, in the last parts of this tournament, the art has gone back to the bulky muscles a bit thanks to Takahashi, Shida, and sometimes Yammamuro. They weren't as anorexic as the previous arcs. Just take a look at shirtless Vegeta, Goku and Jiren. They're buff as f
My interpretation of the Dragon Ball Canon

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Post by PFM18 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:56 am

Puaru wrote:Honestly, as for my own personal most prominent thought about this series as a whole?

131 Goddamn episodes and Gohan NEVER got to be awesome, not even once.

As of now he is still weaker than shit when compared against other fighters. Goku, Vegeta, 17, Freeza, Future Trunks. What do thse guys have in common? Gohan was stronger than all of them at the end of Z and now he is so much weaker than them that they could all probably one-shot him.

And I'm not saying that he needs to be the strongest but it would be nice if he wasn't still a complete pathethic piece if garbage after 131 goddamn episodes.

And no, taking out Dyspo was not impressive. Dyspo was fast but weaker than Stephen Hawking.
Yeah I loved that part of Super. Gohan being the strongest at the end of Z was completely asinine considering he didn't like fighting and never trained consistently but was somehow the strongest anyway. He wasn't a warrior like Goku,Vegeta,Future Trunks or Freeza so it makes sense that he would be the weakest of the group. and he isn't a "a complete pathetic piece of garbage" he got a massive power-up for no reason in typical Gohan fashion to be able to atleast compete with the God Tier characters of the series. Vegeta was a pathetic weakling during Z and it irritated me to no end. I love how they corrected that in Super.
SsjCookie wrote:I consider it mediocre at best.

Some things I enjoyed, but I still didn't like many things about it.
Like the fact that the characters seem to be frozen in time, there are no mayor changes to them despite the progress of time.
Goten and Trunks being the prime example.

And There is almost no battle damage in DBS which takes a lot away from the mayor impact a brutal battle carries.

And the anime art is way too scrawny for my taste, if I want to watch stick people I'll go watch America's next top model instead. :problem:
So incredibly minor things like Goten and Trunks not growing, less battle damage, and the characters being skinnier ruin the series for you? That is a bit strange to me

User avatar
Puaru
Banned
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Post by Puaru » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:23 pm

PFM18 wrote:he got a massive power-up for no reason in typical Gohan fashion to be able to atleast compete with the God Tier characters of the series.
Gohan NEVER competed with a single God-tier character, not even ONCE, not even for a SECOND. Dyspo was weak as crap and never actually hurt anyone, just pushed them around, and that fused robot that Gohan fought is impossible to jude since the only time we saw him against god-tier characters was when SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta were HOLDING BACK against him to save their strenght for Jiren while allowing Gohan to take him out. If Goku or Vegeta had been serious they could most likely have taken out that robot with ease.

Gohan is not god-tier, not even close. He is a weak piece of crap.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Post by PFM18 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:31 pm

Puaru wrote:
PFM18 wrote:he got a massive power-up for no reason in typical Gohan fashion to be able to atleast compete with the God Tier characters of the series.
Gohan NEVER competed with a single God-tier character, not even ONCE, not even for a SECOND. Dyspo was weak as crap and never actually hurt anyone, just pushed them around, and that fused robot that Gohan fought is impossible to jude since the only time we saw him against god-tier characters was when SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta were HOLDING BACK against him to save their strenght for Jiren while allowing Gohan to take him out. If Goku or Vegeta had been serious they could most likely have taken out that robot with ease.

Gohan is not god-tier, not even close. He is a weak piece of crap.
He fought Goku SSB,Toppo, the fused robot and Dyspo and there is no reason to believe that any of the above characters arent God tier. He didn't defeat any of them but if he was a weak piece of crap he would have been fodderized/dominated but he didn't. Although not God tier, the entire Namekian race fused into two warriors were defeated by Gohan. He is FAR from a "weak piece of crap"

User avatar
dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:08 pm
Location: Spain

Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Post by dbs fanboy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:40 pm

Lord Beerus pretty much nailed my thoughts so i'm gonna repost his post.
Lord Beerus wrote:A very entertaining and fun series, with some real lows, but more than enough highs to make it worth at least one complete watchthrough.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:


dbgtFO wrote:

User avatar
Puaru
Banned
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Post by Puaru » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:43 pm

PFM18 wrote: He fought Goku SSB,Toppo, the fused robot and Dyspo and there is no reason to believe that any of the above characters arent God tier. He didn't defeat any of them but if he was a weak piece of crap he would have been fodderized/dominated but he didn't. Although not God tier, the entire Namekian race fused into two warriors were defeated by Gohan. He is FAR from a "weak piece of crap"
Dyspo and Robot Guy are probably not god-tier, Goku went SSB only because Gohan asked him to, and Gohan did NOTHING against Toppo. Against Toppo, Gohan missed every single one of his attacks, except for one full-power kamehameha that was explicitly shown to do NOTHING to Toppo at all. Toppo just smiled at how wothless it was. Meanwhile, actual god-tier characters 17 and Freeza did hurt Toppo.

Gohan is extremely weak.

User avatar
Basaku
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:00 pm
Location: Planet of the Apes

Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Post by Basaku » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:26 pm

It's decent. Some great moments, some bad. Production quality was the biggest issue IMO (absolute crap for the large chunk of episodes). I value Super a lot for expanding the lore and world-building in a really great way, some fantastic new characters and concepts but a lot of the potential was mishandled and Toriyama didn't really deliver on the story/plot part sadly. Super's better than GT, but still can't compare to DBZ consistent streak of amazing sagas.

User avatar
Spider-Man
Regular
Posts: 512
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:36 pm

Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Post by Spider-Man » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:46 pm

Gonna give my full thought in this series.
    Super does a good job introducing the new character in the series and I like some character such as Champa, Vados, Hit, Frost, Caulifla, etc. They also introduced my favorite villain in the series Goku Black of course that guy was cool additionally they put character relevant again in the ToP such as Gohan, #18 and Piccolo.
      The SOL are the best in this series too I enjoy seeing them and the ending was good.
        However they are some issue I had such as the two retelling movie arc being boring and terrible don't get me started with the animation in RoF. It also has so many good ideas but the execution was bad and they have so many unanswered question that we will never get an answer.
          The pacing is horrible, the recruitment are the worst part in the ToP they had so many boring and terrible episode, the only one I enjoyed was Gohan and Frieza recruitment. The ToP itself drag out too long and it feels episodic.
            Overall Super is a 6/10.

            User avatar
            PFM18
            Banned Alternate Account
            Posts: 3701
            Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

            Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

            Post by PFM18 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:41 pm

            Puaru wrote:
            PFM18 wrote: He fought Goku SSB,Toppo, the fused robot and Dyspo and there is no reason to believe that any of the above characters arent God tier. He didn't defeat any of them but if he was a weak piece of crap he would have been fodderized/dominated but he didn't. Although not God tier, the entire Namekian race fused into two warriors were defeated by Gohan. He is FAR from a "weak piece of crap"
            Dyspo and Robot Guy are probably not god-tier, Goku went SSB only because Gohan asked him to, and Gohan did NOTHING against Toppo. Against Toppo, Gohan missed every single one of his attacks, except for one full-power kamehameha that was explicitly shown to do NOTHING to Toppo at all. Toppo just smiled at how wothless it was. Meanwhile, actual god-tier characters 17 and Freeza did hurt Toppo.

            Gohan is extremely weak.
            Ok but Given how the series likes to show gaps in power(especially one of the size you seem to believe) then he would have been knocked out or fodderized with no difficulty if he truly was as weak as you say. He is atleast in that area of power. If he was any stronger it'd beentirely nonsensical since he has no affinity for fighting. Look at what he was in Z. He surpassed Goku and Vegeta who dedicate their entire life to fighting and a fusion when the series thoroughly hyped up the power of fusion. They kept his power in check this time and it makes perfect sense.

            User avatar
            SsjCookie
            Beyond Newbie
            Posts: 292
            Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:54 am

            Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

            Post by SsjCookie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:54 am

            Vegeta_Sama wrote:
            SsjCookie wrote:
            And the anime art is way too scrawny for my taste, if I want to watch stick people I'll go watch America's next top model instead. :problem:
            To be fair, in the last parts of this tournament, the art has gone back to the bulky muscles a bit thanks to Takahashi, Shida, and sometimes Yammamuro. They weren't as anorexic as the previous arcs. Just take a look at shirtless Vegeta, Goku and Jiren. They're buff as f
            Yeah but these last episodes can't make up for the whole of Super I'm afraid.
            They should have been like that from the beginning.
            PFM18 wrote:So incredibly minor things like Goten and Trunks not growing, less battle damage, and the characters being skinnier ruin the series for you? That is a bit strange to me
            These are not minor things for me, If you don't like a particular drawing style you're not usually stimulated in following an Anime series.
            For instance, I tried following Naruto...but I just can't get into it.
            I watched 7 episodes and it just doesn't catch me, and I already know the reason...I just don't like the art style!
            So you see, these are very important points in making people watching these shows in the first place.
            In fact, the only reason I still watched Super is because of nostalgia.

            User avatar
            Whatever
            Regular
            Posts: 713
            Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:03 pm

            Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

            Post by Whatever » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:27 am

            Puaru wrote:Honestly, as for my own personal most prominent thought about this series as a whole?

            131 Goddamn episodes and Gohan NEVER got to be awesome, not even once.

            As of now he is still weaker than shit when compared against other fighters. Goku, Vegeta, 17, Freeza, Future Trunks. What do thse guys have in common? Gohan was stronger than all of them at the end of Z and now he is so much weaker than them that they could all probably one-shot him.

            And I'm not saying that he needs to be the strongest but it would be nice if he wasn't still a complete pathethic piece if garbage after 131 goddamn episodes.

            And no, taking out Dyspo was not impressive. Dyspo was fast but weaker than Stephen Hawking.
            So your enjoyment of a series depens on how much they wank Gohan,because in the Buu saga he did way less than the Top(he did nothing in the buu arc pretty much)even after getting the cheapest power up.
            Also he was not the strongest at the end of Z,he was the strongest during the Buu arc.

            User avatar
            Puaru
            Banned
            Posts: 195
            Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:58 pm

            Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

            Post by Puaru » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:43 am

            Whatever wrote: So your enjoyment of a series depens on how much they wank Gohan,because in the Buu saga he did way less than the Top(he did nothing in the buu arc pretty much)even after getting the cheapest power up.
            Also he was not the strongest at the end of Z,he was the strongest during the Buu arc.
            Gohan was at least strong in the Buu arc. Now he is weak. The only strenght that matters is the strenght compared to others, and in that sense Gohan now is pathetic.

            User avatar
            PsionicWarrior
            I'm pretty cozy, here...
            Posts: 1569
            Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 2:33 pm

            Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

            Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:32 am

            First of, Super is not finished, and second, give me couple of weeks or months to digest all that lol

            User avatar
            SsjCookie
            Beyond Newbie
            Posts: 292
            Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:54 am

            Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

            Post by SsjCookie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:56 am

            Whatever wrote:
            Puaru wrote:Honestly, as for my own personal most prominent thought about this series as a whole?

            131 Goddamn episodes and Gohan NEVER got to be awesome, not even once.

            As of now he is still weaker than shit when compared against other fighters. Goku, Vegeta, 17, Freeza, Future Trunks. What do thse guys have in common? Gohan was stronger than all of them at the end of Z and now he is so much weaker than them that they could all probably one-shot him.

            And I'm not saying that he needs to be the strongest but it would be nice if he wasn't still a complete pathethic piece if garbage after 131 goddamn episodes.

            And no, taking out Dyspo was not impressive. Dyspo was fast but weaker than Stephen Hawking.
            So your enjoyment of a series depens on how much they wank Gohan,because in the Buu saga he did way less than the Top(he did nothing in the buu arc pretty much)even after getting the cheapest power up.
            Also he was not the strongest at the end of Z,he was the strongest during the Buu arc.

            If you favour a particular character like for instance Gohan, I can imagine that his fanbase is disappointed with how minor his whole role was in the whole series of Super.
            And his fights in the TOP weren't really all that memorable to be honest.
            In DBZ he at least had some arcs where he was awesome, until he became Saiyaman and became uncool all of a sudden.

            So yeah "some" Gohan fans will probably dislike Super because of that.
            And sometimes it takes away the enjoyment of a series if your favourite character wasn't written the way they would have liked to be seen.

            User avatar
            sintzu
            Banned
            Posts: 13583
            Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

            Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

            Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:40 am

            Puaru wrote:Gohan was at least strong in the Buu arc. Now he is weak.
            The strongest within the 8 universes in order would be Goku, Jiren, Vegeta, Toppo, Freeza, 17 and then Gohan.

            Being in the top 10 at number 7 in an 80 fighters list doing little to nothing in terms of training is anything but weak.
            July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

            User avatar
            PFM18
            Banned Alternate Account
            Posts: 3701
            Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

            Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

            Post by PFM18 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:37 am

            sintzu wrote:
            Puaru wrote:Gohan was at least strong in the Buu arc. Now he is weak.
            The strongest within the 8 universes in order would be Goku, Jiren, Vegeta, Toppo, Freeza, 17 and then Gohan.

            Being in the top 10 at number 7 in an 80 fighters list doing little to nothing in terms of training is anything but weak.
            I get your point but I would also put Dyspo in his super speed mode and Hit ahead of Gohan.

            User avatar
            sintzu
            Banned
            Posts: 13583
            Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

            Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

            Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:57 am

            PFM18 wrote:I get your point but I would also put Dyspo in his super speed mode and Hit ahead of Gohan.
            Both are good picks but he'll still be in the top 10 with them, not bad at all. I do however think he should have a main role in other arcs moving forward.
            July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

            Post Reply