Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Post by PFM18 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:46 pm

sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:I get your point but I would also put Dyspo in his super speed mode and Hit ahead of Gohan.
Both are good picks but he'll still be in the top 10 with them, not bad at all. I do however think he should have a main role in other arcs moving forward.
I like his role as having his occasional almost "cameo" appearances because his character is not to be a fighter he is an academic, a father and a husband. Essentially a functional member of society. He was never the Saiyan warrior type or anything like that he just had potential hax.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:08 pm

PFM18 wrote: Essentially a functional member of society.
Just like Goku. :)
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Post by PFM18 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:04 pm

sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote: Essentially a functional member of society.
Just like Goku. :)
this is why I hate purely text conversations. I have no idea if you are kidding or not lol

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:56 pm

PFM18 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote: Essentially a functional member of society.
Just like Goku. :)
this is why I hate purely text conversations. I have no idea if you are kidding or not lol
Goku is the reason society still exists which makes him the most funtioning member of it even if he doesn't know it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Post by PFM18 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:12 pm

sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Just like Goku. :)
this is why I hate purely text conversations. I have no idea if you are kidding or not lol
Goku is the reason society still exists which makes him the most funtioning member of it even if he doesn't know it.
Technically yes he is a functional member of society in the sense that he is a direct reason why society still exists. But in terms of like the normal interpretation of taking care of a family, being a good husband, having a job, acquiring an education he isn't any of those lol

User avatar
Chibi Gohan
Regular
Posts: 575
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:31 am
Location: Florida

Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Post by Chibi Gohan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:27 pm

While the series certainly had it's issues, Super did a nice job of expanding the Dragon Ball universe as a whole. The first 2 arcs were kind of a waste and featured some of the worst animation and direction I've witnessed in the franchise. Those 2 arcs certainly rank down in the GT realm of the franchise. Luckily things picked up through the Universe 6 arc. The Universe 6 arc was a largely mediocre, due to the lack of character building, but had some interest fights.

The Future Trunks arc is up there as one of the best arcs in the entire franchise. The story arc as a whole features some of darkest tones in the franchise as whole, which I wasn't quite expecting out of Super. Zamasu was a complex and well deveoloped antagonist. It managed to overcome the "evil twin" cliche with proper character development and direction. The only gripe I have with the arc is the direction that the anime took at the end of the arc with the "Infinite" Zamasu concept, which I thought was better executed in the manga.

The TOP arc was a bit bloated for me and dragged on longer than it probably should've. I liked how 17 and Freeza were featured in arc, which created some of the better moments in the series. Gohan and Piccolo were poorly managed, but I expected as much. Ultra Instinct was a cool concept, but hopefully they keep that on the shelf in the future. The ending to the series as a whole was satisfying and made me excited for what's ahead.
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

Post Reply