Which did it better, GT or Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by SirTorra » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:07 pm

Now that Super is over it's time for the inevitable. How does it stack up to the rest of the other series specifically GT? I'll like to know what you guys think overall of Super and how it stacks up to GT from its writing, characters, music, ending etc. Feel free to discuss the overall impact each show will have and what it adds to the legacy of Dragonball especially as sequels.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by lancerman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:23 pm

It's always been way better than GT. The last arc alone was better than anything GT had. I also don't think there was anything as uninspired as the Black Star Dragon Ball arc or the Super 17 arc.

It's hard to explain, but Super felt like authentic Dragon Ball in a way GT just didn't. It had a similar tone and battles had a similar excitement. GT felt a bit too much like what someone who wasn't Toriyama would make up. It continued the expansion of the universe from being a boy in the woods, to training with the greatest Martial Artist on the planet, to training with a deity, to training with god, to becoming the strongest human, to training in the afterlife, become the strongest in the universe to training with gods who are part of the multiversal hierarchy to facing off against the strongest in the multiverse. It felt like the natural place for Toriyama to take it. Also it did far more to honor the roots of the series. Even though it was very Goku centric, the rest of the cast didn't get left in the dust again. It didn't feel like Goku and Pan with Gohan and Vegeta making a few cameos and blink and you'll miss Kuriren.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:27 pm

I'll guve a longer more detailed post a bit later today but for now, it leaves GT in the dust.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:02 am

I’m about 50/50. I might be inclined to lean towards Super in the near future, but as it stand, both series’ have had their fair share of pros and cons. Both shows have had some interesting ideas that haven’t quite been able to live up to their full potential. GT’s big advantage in my eyes is the fact that it generally didn’t really feel like anything was dragged out to the extent of something like the ToP. Meanwhile, Super has some nice slice of life episodes, and some much better fight scenes.
Last edited by WittyUsername on Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:04 am

The Highest of highs of Super are better than the Highs of Z. think about that.

ToP is the second greatest arc next to Namek arc.

The only thing GT has is its ending 5 minutes.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:09 am

To put it simply, Super is awesome moments intercut with completely stupid ones while GT is consistent mediocrity. I prefer the former style of storytelling, as it's just more consistent with Dragon Ball as a whole and actually has great moments. GT is something I want to see finally die, and maybe have some of it's elements worked back into a newer series, with execution and direction that's more interesting than slowly pouring molasses onto a small dog.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:13 am

I think between the two of them, the Tournament of Power arc is definitely the best arc, followed by the Baby arc, and underneath that the FT arc. The rest of GT's arcs and Super's arcs are about the same in how terrible/mediocre they are, although Super 17 and Copy Vegeta are way down on the very, very bottom of the list.

So I have to give it to Super, the Tournament of Power really turned this show around. The Future Trunks arc was the beginning of Super's rise, but its ending left the fanbase completely divided, I think the ToP arc really helped after that bump in the road and solidified Super as a worthy successor to Z.

However, the writing and art were vastly superior in GT (although by the time the later episodes of the ToP rolled around there were some really, really beautiful episodes that easily outclassed GT). Super's writing is an atrocity, shit just happens for the sake of happening. There's no logic, there's no consistency, plot points are brought up and then dropped off a cliff, just some shitty stuff.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:17 am

Super is a mixed bag with some good ideas, some really bad ones, and inconsistent execution. GT is consistently boring.

Super was almost unwatchable for three arcs, but then the last two arcs were enjoyable, despite their flaws. GT is just unwatchable.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:25 am

Below average show with two amazing finale episodes, great voice acting as always by Masako Nozawa but the show ended with a really generic end that could've just been used for an upcoming episode... It probably was as it seems this was obviously cancelled.

I'll take GT anytime, anyway over Super.

Seriously, Super had like a "Transformation of the Week" sort of thing which got incredibly ridiculous with all the colored Super Saiyan forms and all that. So much so it made Super Saiyan Red completely pointless to even exist.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:27 am

GT was a horrible chore to watch for me personally. I wanted to quit several times. SSJ4 Gogeta is my one positive from GT.

So I'll take Super.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:00 am

Honestly to me this isn't a question. Super introduced a completely new realm of lore and so much world-building along with several new concepts like actually having a villian who has actual motivations or having a main antagonist who isnt actually a villian at all. The only things GT did were the ending and the baby saga. (And by extension super saiyan 4.) The Baby saga to it's credit is actually good. But Super ACTUALLY feels like dragon ball. GT goku was relegated to being a child again and literally did everything. Every other character was useless. Vegeta was even more useless than he was in Z. GT overall is garbage. Super is a legitimate continuation of the franchise.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:05 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:Below average show with two amazing finale episodes, great voice acting as always by Masako Nozawa but the show ended with a really generic end that could've just been used for an upcoming episode... It probably was as it seems this was obviously cancelled.

I'll take GT anytime, anyway over Super.

Seriously, Super had like a "Transformation of the Week" sort of thing which got incredibly ridiculous with all the colored Super Saiyan forms and all that. So much so it made Super Saiyan Red completely pointless to even exist.
How can you say Transformation of the week when Goku and Vegeta's best form was the same for 100+ episodes. They went 3 arcs without gaining a new transformation at all. I have no idea how you come to this conclusion. They each got a transformation in the last arc but it was only fitting. GT did almost nothing right and it gives a bad name to the rest of the franchise

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:24 am

I'm not going to say GT wasn't bad. But after seeing Super, I'm willing to give GT another watch.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:29 am

I say Super most definitely. The pace, the focus on characters aside from Goku, and the enemies were all vastly superior.

Though I will say, the end of GT will always be my absolute favorite ending. No matter how many series we have, that ending will always be my headcannon ending

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:03 am

Super just bugged me for being too shallow and straightforward with its plots, and the events being too spontaneous and the fights being won by unnatural situational moments, rather than them working their way through struggle to finally conclude things the way Z did things. I'd take GT simply because it didn't feel as artificial as Super is. Its only strength is presentation. GT may not have been as shallow but in parallel it just had bad presentation with very low scale fight scenes and bad animation in most of them. I did just find it having more substance beyond it, even if its harder to enjoy because of it.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:15 am

I'll have to go GT but to go slightly more in depth, I'll break down the biggest pros and cons of each show. Super had the best final fights. Nothing in GT can hold a candle to UI Goku vs Jiren or the 20 second Vegito vs Merged Zamasu fight. Nothing in GT was ever as bad as Goku vs Frieza in RoF either so GT wins on consistency. Plot goes to GT simply because Super has no plot. Basically one fight after the other (not counting the Future Trunks arc). GT at least tied in with the lore introduced in DBZ. Transformations goes to GT because I don't like recolors. Toriyama's gotten lazy and has artwork sucks nowadays. Finale also goes to GT for having far-reaching consequences and for completing Goku's story instead of going for the copout god reverts everything route that DBS uses twice.

GT's the better show but I'm glad they brought back Dragonball. The best has yet to come. The new movie looks sick.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:25 am

Super's highest highs trumps all of GT. I'm due for a GT rewatch, but I don't remember having any emotional investment in GT's character in any of its episodes.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:28 am

Professor Freeza wrote:The Highest of highs of Super are better than the Highs of Z. think about that.

Thats extremely debatable
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:35 am

FoolsGil wrote:I'm not going to say GT wasn't bad. But after seeing Super, I'm willing to give GT another watch.
You’ve got guts .
I was able to follow super week after week since u6 tournament.
I wasn’t able to watch more than 4 episodes of gt.
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:42 am

The Patrolman wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:The Highest of highs of Super are better than the Highs of Z. think about that.

Thats extremely debatable

Not at all. Storytelling, grand spectacle? Epic Transformations.. it has it all.