What do you wish was done differently now that Super is over?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Exline
Beyond Newbie

What do you wish was done differently now that Super is over?

Post by Exline » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Any of you wish events worked out differently than they were done?

I wanna start off saying that I've enjoyed a lot of what Super has given us, however I wish some things were done differently.

1) Sub Plots - we definitely should have been given much more sub plots to work with to make this Tournament for survival much more interesting. I was hoping for more emphasis on Gohan's internal struggle with having to eliminate other universes. Frieza and Frost should have also acted as a duo instead of just waiting til 108 to try and get rid of each other.

2) Tension - After Universe 9 and 10's erasure, it felt as if time was moving much faster in the universes being eliminated. However, after these universes were erased, people still did not take the tournament seriously enough. It honestly felt less of a battle for survival and more of a game for these characters. It makes the tournament seem even more insignificant than it already is after the reveal behind it in Episode 131.

What would you do to change the story to make this arc much more enjoyable and appreciable? What do you think the elimination order should have been? Which universes do you think should have lasted longer?

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Re: What do you wish was done differently now that Super is over?

Post by Onibaku » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:53 pm

Not animating the BoG and RoF movies into arcs.
More focus on Goten and Trunks.

..and to not have ended at all lol.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:09 pm

More relevance for Gohan, Piccolo, Buu, Goten and Trunks

No Movie retellings

u6 already would have had super saiyans. Its hard for me to understand how cabba could be equal to vegeta in base but not have transformed. Emotional triggers aren't a necessity see Goten and Trunks and it makes less sense considering cabba is in the army and must have at some point seen some bad shit that pissed him off

Spend more time on other universes pre-tournament. We didn't need episodes for Krillin, Roshi/Tien and didn't need multiple episodes for 17, Freeza and Gohan in that portion of the arc

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:17 pm

Have a manga base to start with , expand and develop that story base . Like most of the anime
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:17 pm

A filler episode with Goten, Trunks and Marron and another one with Yamcha around the middle of the ToP. I wanted to see what was happening on earth while the ToP was going on.

Either cut off or reanimate the Resurrection of "F" arc completely.

Reanimate episode 5 and the Botamo vs Goku episode too.

Make Launch appear in the Tien recruitment episode instead of that new girl.

Remove 18's line in the latest episode completely. Also her line in episode 100 where she roasted Krillin for letting his guard down.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:23 pm

1- Trunks deserved the kill against Zamasu, they could have fit Zeno in the picture some other way, like killing immortal Zamasu spread his soul all over the universe corrupting it or whatever. It was just too good of a scene the one with Trunks criticizing Zamasu's justice idea before cutting him in half. Don't mind the timeline being erased, but Trunks's final stand was wasted.

2- Less bullshit talk from the spectators, many times they were proven wrong, or worse, they'd confuse us even more and were there just to help reach the 20 minute cut

3- Beerus-Freeza-Planet Vegita-kaboom. But this could be a new saga or movie in the future though.

4- A Beerus and Goku chat after the TOP regarding Goku's new power level. He clearly surpassed him, it would have been nice to hear Beerus acknowledge that or even dismiss it and say that he still is no match for him.

5- More screentime for Goten and Trunks and they should've looked a little older, Trunks at least.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:28 pm

1. remove the retellings

2. Not have Buu fall asleep during the U6 v U7 tournament

3. Remove the final 4 episodes of the Black arc. Trunks' Rage form can stay I guess but change everything else. Zamasu is successfully sealed away by the Mafuba. Trunks gets the kill on Black. his timeline is saved.

4. Show a better sense of age progression like DB and Z did, especially aging Goten Trunks and Marron.

5. Cut down on the recruitment episodes.

6. Better pacing in the ToP. Make the storytelling better instead of seeming like standalone episodes.

7. dont have characters in the ToP vanish for 12 episodes then find out they were just standing still (coughAndroidscough).

8. Fix Goku's insufferable characterization in ep53.

9. Add actual battle damage and blood.

10. More focus on the others earlier on instead of just the final arc.

11. Have Goten and Trunks be more important characters.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:40 pm

Fused Zamasu should have been 100% immortal. While i truly enjoyed the creative, original and unique idea of showing us Zamasu's descent into madness by having his body fall apart, it didn't make sense for him to be half-immortal/half-mortal. For example, when Goku and Vegeta fused in the Buu saga, Vegito wasn't half-alive/half-dead because one of the fusées was dead, he was 100% alive. At least the manga fixed this. I would have also given Fused Zamasu just more screentime overall, as he appeared only in 2-3 episodes. Normally, I wouldn't mind this if we were talking about some random antagonist, but we are talking about the final villain of the Future Trunks arc.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:45 pm

I would at least make the Zamasu arc 10 episodes longer and flesh out a lot of the backstory of Zamasu as well as that with the other universes and use the chance to talk about Trunks' life. Trunks would also not fight Zamasu with his new sword, he would walk back to CC Corp and take out Alternate Tapion's sword. We would see that as a child Trunks had to reluctantly kill Tapion ... and ... and ... and ...

I will not start writing it all out here. But more Zamasu arc.

Also Black's primary people of disgust would be Goku and Trunks while Alternate Zamasu would be Bulma and Trunks and Alternate Zamasu would take the Earth as an example of how he is right because this world which was destroyed because of a mortal problem, the cyborgification, shows how irresponsible mortals are. And because of that his motivations would be slightly different from Black's. Also he would despise Bulma even more because of her scientific achievements such as the ones that make her spit on time.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:50 pm

Everything I wished super to be like is what the manga is like, compiling my wishes will be making an animation out of the manga
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:14 pm

Don't bother with the retellings. BoG's retelling was honestly awful, and whilst RoF gave us some fun Ginyu and Tagoma action for variation, it's ultimately pointless if the end result is the same.

Monaka was such a pointless plot point too, since Beerus was already Goku's goal he didn't need Monaka(and Monaka would be instantly forgotten afterwards anyway so) and stop wasting Majin Buu. Either have him fight, or bring Gohan, Krillin, Tien, Roshi or 18 to the U6 tournament in his place.

Have Gohan actually go to the tournament against U6. He wasn't there but there's no plot reason for why outside "he's at a meeting" shortly before he quits his job to spend more time with Pan...so he's not providing for the family and he's not saving the world...what are you doing Gohan?

Probably my most controversial wish; make Goku Black "Gohan" Black, thus giving both Gohan some screentime, the fans some "SO MUCH HIDDEN POTENTIAL" hype and works better with Future Trunks as he has a more in depth relationship with Gohan than Goku. The irony of the symbol of his hope now being the thing destroying his universe would be pretty powerful and lead to some excellent character moments for Trunks.
Goku having to fight his son's body is a lot more interesting to me in an otherwise pretty amazing arc than watching him punch himself or watching Vegeta do it. Having Gohan cut down Chi-Chi and Goten is also more impactful to me since Gohan and Goten's relationship is a lot more developed than Goku's and his second son. Goku can still be furious that Zamasu would abuse his son like that in order to force the normally peace loving Gohan to mow down his own family. Probably my biggest wish.

Given Tenshinhan a proper day in the limelight episode, and Yamcha at least one more episode since the Baseball episode was comedy gold. I want that episode where Yamcha and Chiaoutzu save the world whilst the others are at the ToP, dammit!

Have Krillin survive longer, not because he's my favourite, but because I desperately wanted to see him interact with 17, Frieza and Goku and Roshi and the potential of those conversations and team ups was completely wasted with him being thrown out so quickly. He can still be the first U7 fighter out and I think Frost was the correct person to defeat him, but the speed of which he is thrown out ruins the chances at interesting interactions!

Talking of; Frost's team up with Frieza felt like it should have been focused on a little more with more effect than we got in the anime. The manga managed to make it a little more worthwhile(although wasting both Krillin and Tenshinhan in the meantime) even though Frost is kicked out sooner.

Come up with a smarter way to deal with Botamo. Gohan's defeat of him made no sense given his unique ability and whilst a rather minor thing this made me scratch my head harder than any power scaling issues we saw in Super.

Allow other characters outside Goku and Vegeta to defeat some opponents. It was getting ridiculous watching Goku jump into nearly every single fight. Hit Vs. Dyspo was a particularly annoying example as this was shaping up to be quite an interesting match up until Goku arrives. I also much preferred the handling of Universe 9's eliminations in the manga with Frost taking them on rather than Universe 7 taking them all out with relative ease.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:32 pm

Not have Gohan remain a weakling throughout the ENTIRE series.

And don't tell me he got strong during the ToP. He is not strong when he is only the FIFTH strongest character on a team of ten. That's pathetic. And if the others had only had brains enough to recruit Future Trunks, he would instead have been the sixth strongest. That's a placement among the Z fighters that might be fit for someone like Piccolo or 18, not Gohan. I hated how during the end of his "performance" during the ToP Goku and Beerus were saying shit like "we're proud of you Gohan!". Ain't nothing to be proud of being a weakling. Beerus should have rewarded Gohan's "efforts" with a pair of frilly pink panties, that would be appropriate for a wimp like current Gohan.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:04 pm

I wish it got better pre-production. I think the movies didn't need to be retold. They could've done a lot more with U6 instead of just giving us more saiyans and a Freeza clone. There should've been more going on in Black's arc like u10 fighters coming to help. The TOP should've had less fighters and more build up. The overall writing could've been A LOT better.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheGreatSaiyaman
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGreatSaiyaman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:22 pm

[spoiler]Gohan from start to end of Super has no real reason to not be involved apart from the meeting for U6 iirc...
- Allow him to have SS2 in BOG and ROF - have him fight with Frieza briefly then get dominated or keep the same - the biggest problem here was Piccolo's 'death'
- Make him train with Vegeta (post-ROF or TOP recruitment) or even off-screen individually for a few episodes rather than Piccolo all the time - I'm leaning towards a session with Vegeta because it'd be something new and fresh... but keep episode 90 w/Goku but make the whole fight SSB vs Ultimate then KO him with SSB KK times (X)
- let him beat Dyspo and U3 robots or at least lose after a decent fight to the former, not 2 minutes at the end of an episode when he really didn't need to get involved
- wear the purple outfit like in the Broly Second Coming movie, in fact have this design for him but adapted to DBS art style
- his hair. Hair needs to be longer like OG Ultimate or ROF - yeah I said it, I liked something in ROF :lol: (<-- kinda picky but oh well)
- asides from that, Saiyaman shenanigans were cool vs Barry Kahn with Cocoa, baby Pan was great :clap:
- make him 3rd strongest on Team U7

Others:
Trunks - let him win vs Black or Zamasu with the Power of Hope and MC plot Sword and end the arc there, perhaps no Infinite Timeline Traverser Zamasu - though it was cool
Piccolo - his arms being cut in fights, change U6 - let him fight on and lose
Krillin - good work but the Taco shirt is random
Buu - in TOP as Slim Buu (a match vs Maji-Kayo would've been nice)
Goku - infinite cheat-code stamina.
17 - perfect. Was skeptical at first but he was awesome.
Basil - more laughs, I need to hear 'GEHEEHEEHEE'
Would rather remove the retellings, frees up almost 30 episodes for other arcs..[/spoiler]

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:33 pm

I would've had Caulifla competing in the Universe 6 tournament. Okay, I may sound a little bit bias because I am a Caulifla fan, but really, this would've been a better introduction to her character instead of introducing her so late. But, here's where I'm conflicted. I imagine her replacing either Cabba or Botamo, but I don't want to do neither because 1. Caulifla feels more like a student for Goku. 2. I love Cabba and Vegeta's relationship. 3. It would undermine Cabba's role. And 4. I want a Buu vs Botamo fight. So, I guess, the safest bet I came up with was having Universe 6 with 6 fighers (no pun intended). I'd give her Super Saiyan before we even meet her.
Caulifla best girl! :)

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:44 pm

To me the only thing Super needed was a break (which depending on what happens on the future will end up being true or not).
But besides that, i guess that if the writers had much more communication between them the narrative could have been improved.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:52 pm

1) Kibitoshin would not defuse.
2)The timelines would get a revamp, so they make sense to me. This includes laying out the rules for time travel tgat the manga does.
3)Kibitoshin and Gowasu would have been more active in the arc like in the manga.
4)No Kaioken Blue.
5)Goku would not have absorbed the SSG power, but instead just kept it, so he didn't randomly start using it again in the ToP.
6)Give Vegeta SS3 and SSG. SS3 obviously when "that's my bulma" happened. SSG with the ritual pre Whis training, because fuck Vegeta brute forcing his way to Blue.
7)No Whis claiming he can just go visit Trunks' timeline. That's Kibitoshin's job.
8)Use the manga's flashback to Trunks vs Babidi and co.
9)Goku-Black either goes SS like in the manga or he has all the power of the normal Super Saiyan forms in his base form, because he's a god and is better at channeling his ki, so he's kinda like Ultimate Gohan in that regard. Thus when they face him in the future the prior battle with Goku allowed him to unlock Rosé like the anime.
10)Deny Buu's participation in the ToP due to having absorbed former Kaioshin of his universe, because that would be cheating.

More to come..

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:40 pm

- Scrap the BOG and ROF retellings, and just have a recap episode of the events of both those movies
- Have Goten and Trunks age up a little
- Have Majin Boo participate in the Champa arc
- Have SSG appear more often in the Champa arc and beyond
- Give an appearance to Lunch
- Have two Dr Slumps crossovers because one isn't enough
- Have Gohan be consistent with his training
- Not restarting Krillin's character development

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:45 pm

Well they could have had Goten and trunks actually age and they could have made the ending of the future trunks arc to not be total garbage. They could have had Vegeta get the kill on Freeza in the retelling. Make the animation not garbage in the Freeza/Beerus fights. Make Vegeta achieve his new form against Toppo and that is how he defeats him rather than getting the new form against Jiren lose to Toppo and then get some fairly arbitrary power-up against Toppo to get the win. Dont make 17 randomly strong enough to fight evenly with Jiren towards the end. I'm hard-pressed to find much else.

Outside of the ending of the FT arc I only really have small nitpicks. The series was pretty fantastic

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:00 pm

Better pre production
More writers like Toshio and Tomioka
Roshi being buried instead of Krillin and Tenshinhan
Re introduce Launch in that Dojo episode.
Make Cabba like his manga counterpart instead of being scared of Caulifla.
Add Goten and give some screen time in the Trunks Arc instead of the Pilaf Gang(aside from Mai).
Goten and Trunks couldve been better in the Copy Vegeta arc, instead Goten gets his powers stolen and Trunks has to defeat Copy Goten :think:
Come up with a bs excuse and have Black to be part of Team U10, all of the Universes shouldve been relevant instead of just 3 of them.