Do you think 17 will continue being a major character or go back into obscurity?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Do you think 17 will continue being a major character or go back into obscurity?

Post by precita » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:20 pm

17 has never been pictured with the Dragonball cast whenever Toei or Toriyama do those huge "group main cast" images that showcase every single character, even ones like Dende, Mr. Popo, Yajirobe, Ox King, etc. 17 has never been on any of them since DBZ's end through Super. 17 played a major role in the TOP, but something about him leaving on the boat had a "finality" to it. Likewise we didn't see 17 visit Capsule Corp to meet Bra or the rest of the gang like the entire cast did in the ending montage.

Sometimes I wonder if Toriyama gave him a big role in the TOP because he regretted not doing anything with him after Imperfect Cell absorbed him (which oddly makes 17's role in DBZ so minor as he was in less than 20 eps in the anime), and wanted to showcase him more. But I don't know if this will continue.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Re: Do you think 17 will continue being a major character or go back into obscurity?

Post by ToshioWrites » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:39 pm

Unfortunately I don't think 17 will be a major character going forward. Hell Nobody from the ToP roster other than the top 2 will be relevant going forward IMO. I hope i am wrong

Logania
Regular

Re: Do you think 17 will continue being a major character or go back into obscurity?

Post by Logania » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:04 pm

We'll probably never see him again. He's so caught up on protecting his island and sailing on dat boat that he'll never have time to hang out with the team anymore.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:06 pm

Toriyama doesn't seem to have the willingness to give even the other Saiyans a much needed boot to reinvigorate their fighting spirits. Why would they go to the trouble of handing some narrational importance over to a spontaneous inductee for a tournament that was asking for a large number of bodies? I think the only other face that might be seen again is Freeza's. Tournaments appear to be the only time where anyone else outside of Goku and Vegeta is allowed to make an appearance.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:29 pm

I think 17 will be more involved with the gang than he has been now he's formed a good friendship with Goku and...bizarrely one with Frieza too. He actually gels well with the majority of the cast and I hope he's kept around even if it's just for slice of life episodes as there's plenty of potential there with him interacting with 18, Krillin, Piccolo and Goku. He makes for an interesting foil to Frieza and Vegeta too but Vegeta doesn't like interacting with anyone who isn't Goku so I'm not expecting much there.

If we're talking storylines in future arcs, I feel like Goku, Vegeta, Beerus, Whis and maybe Frieza will star with the rest of the U7 team being extremely lucky if they're allowed to be involved in the upcoming arc plans.

I'm not even sure if Jiren or Hit are going to get any big roles in storylines going forwards...
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:03 pm

I imagine Hit is going to slip further and further below the layers of power structuring. His greatest moment was in the first debut during the Champa arc. Come the TOP arc he's slipped out out range of the blue tier Saiyans and is now comparable to their red status. It's ridiculous to suggest but come his next appearance, assuming he makes any, it might depict the imbalance as having widened so drastically that he's only comparable to the golden haired forms. It's a silly proposal with the amount of power that seems to come with SSJG, but part of me wouldn't be surprised to such an outcome becoming a reality.

Jiren is still fresh enough in a chronological context to hold par with Goku. Should he not take any initiative and train to maintain his status, however, he might start to slip out of range of Goku. A chasm exists between blue and Ultra Instinct, though I imagine it wouldn't take too many arcs before fans start to question if Goku couldn't defeat Jiren with only blue and Kaioken combined.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:59 pm

I hope to see he again fighting, even if he doesn't get major screentime like he had in ToP

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:00 pm

We'll see him again, just not anywhere close to the capacity we saw him during the ToP.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:11 am

One_Instance wrote:We'll see him again, just not anywhere close to the capacity we saw him during the ToP.
This.
Quite peculiar that he was so strong in the TOP though, outlasting the likes of Vegeta, Piccolo and Gohan.
Hunting poachers must be one hell of a training. 8)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:29 am

I would like to think that #17 would become a central part of the cast and story again, but something tells me this was one-and-done type of deal for him.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:21 am

I hope he does but his job will make that a tricky proposition so I'm not counting on it.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:13 pm

He will fade back into the background, but for now he is the saviour of the multiverse and will get a fair deal of glory.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:22 pm

I would like to see 17 more in the future, he's been one of the highlights of this arc and it would be a shame if he were to stay just a one-arc wonder.
The fact he is an earthling reformed as a cyborg with limitless stamina makes him very interesting to have among the main characters, and he could always fill a niche even if he is not the strongest one as he showed in the ToP. I would also like to see his character development into becoming more and more human until he also finally drops his cyborg name and starts using his old name Toriyama conveniently already gave him: Lapis. The fact his voice actor referred to 17 as Lapis in the last comments he made made me hopeful the name will be used in canon, even if just once.

Unfortunately I could see him not appearing much in the future, and getting relegated to just do his job as a wildlife protector. Even if that were to happen, I would be fine with it and he will always be one of my favorite characters, and most importantly: the MVP of a Multiversal Tournament, a title no one will ever strip away from him. Toriyama had a wonderful idea when he decided to bring 17 back and I couldn't be more grateful to all the staff involved into making 17 such a likeable character - he is truly one of the highlights of all Super and one of the reasons I will fondly remember the show.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:14 pm

ToP was his last hurrah and I think it's a miracle even to have him there, so no, according to his voice actor interview too, we will never see him again aside maybe from some brief cameo
Also z warriors with the inclusion of Frieza and 17 are way too powerful, gotta be nerfed a little unless an army of god tier enemies come to attack

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:26 pm

Bare with me, I would like for him to retire, not because I dislike him. but because, he ended this arc on a high note, let him stay on that high note.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:32 pm

Doubtful. We'll probably see him as part of the group more often but he won't have the amount of screentime he got in ToP. Someone on the staff must have really loved the character.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:59 pm

I sorta hope he disappears because for every characters that does, Gohan probably has a bit more chance of being cool again.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:50 am

Puaru wrote:I sorta hope he disappears because for every characters that does, Gohan probably has a bit more chance of being cool again.
Yeah, I think Gohan is more interesting as a good father than a central fighter, because he doesn't really have much to offer as a central fighter, or other characters just fulfill his role better, like 17 for example.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:27 am

We gotta understand that the ToP was a big shebang that was purposely designed to bring secondary characters back into the show for an all-out spectacle that many of us fans would enjoy. Gohan was brought back from the deep depths of comedy to become serious again just so we Gohan fans could see him actually be serious again one more time. Android 17 may have not even had much fans before the ToP but I think the writers were fond of this character they made so they brought him back for their own enjoyment of his character possibly. I'm not going to lie, if Android 17 was as strong as Piccolo or Android 18, I don't think many of us would care as much about Android 17. But since he was put on the tier just below Goku and Vegeta and was given so many awesome moments in the ToP, we care more. But the ToP party is over and it's time for everyone other than Goku and Vegeta to fall back into obscurity sadly
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:04 am

KingKaash wrote:We gotta understand that the ToP was a big shebang that was purposely designed to bring secondary characters back into the show for an all-out spectacle that many of us fans would enjoy. Gohan was brought back from the deep depths of comedy to become serious again just so we Gohan fans could see him actually be serious again one more time. Android 17 may have not even had much fans before the ToP but I think the writers were fond of this character they made so they brought him back for their own enjoyment of his character possibly. I'm not going to lie, if Android 17 was as strong as Piccolo or Android 18, I don't think many of us would care as much about Android 17. But since he was put on the tier just below Goku and Vegeta and was given so many awesome moments in the ToP, we care more. But the ToP party is over and it's time for everyone other than Goku and Vegeta to fall back into obscurity sadly
Dragon Ball will continue to be relevant for a long time. They'll be using characters when they can regardless.