So What Was the Point of the Tournament of Power Arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Logania
Regular

So What Was the Point of the Tournament of Power Arc?

Post by Logania » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:42 pm

By that, I mean story progression wise? Nothing major really happened for the Dragon Ball Universe. All the universe's participating were not destroyed, no one died, Goku (and maybe Vegeta, he may still have SSJBE) didn't keep the transformation that was a core part of the Tournament.

Besides 17 getting dat boat and Freeza being alive, if you took out the entire tournament and what happened, we'd basically be where we are now. I was feeling that for one of the longest and most important arcs in the Dragon Ball franchise, there'd be some sort of change that happened.

Am I missing a plot point or thing that happened in the tournament, or was I expecting too much? It felt like mostly a waste of time for me seeing the Tournament if there's nothing to show from it.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: So What Was the Point of the Tournament of Power Arc?

Post by Zephyr » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:51 pm

Goku reached a new milestone in his training with Whis. Freeza and #17 developed a bit as individuals. Zeno was shown to be more thoughtful than we were initially lead to believe. Goku's natural penchant for helping others become better people reached into other universes.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:53 pm

We get to know 66 new characters , 10 new gods couples , android 17 returns , ultra instinct... there’s a lot of things man
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:57 pm

And we got a more in-depth look at the other universes outside of U6 (which was expanded on with Kale, Caulifla, and the Namekians) and U7. We saw all sorts of different abilities. Some of which were callbacks to movies, and even GT in some aspects, and others pushed the boundaries of the mortal limits (the Pride Troopers, Kefla, Anilaza, etc).

It really set things up for future arcs.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:03 pm

Logania wrote:By that, I mean story progression wise? Nothing major really happened for the Dragon Ball Universe. All the universe's participating were not destroyed, no one died, Goku (and maybe Vegeta, he may still have SSJBE) didn't keep the transformation that was a core part of the Tournament.

Besides 17 getting dat boat and Freeza being alive, if you took out the entire tournament and what happened, we'd basically be where we are now. I was feeling that for one of the longest and most important arcs in the Dragon Ball franchise, there'd be some sort of change that happened.

Am I missing a plot point or thing that happened in the tournament, or was I expecting too much? It felt like mostly a waste of time for me seeing the Tournament if there's nothing to show from it.
Unfortunately you’re kinda looking at it through Z eyes.

I’m not sure if there is progression in the way we were use to before. The consequences aren’t really there. I’ve said these before but in Z Goku died twice for years at a time for his mistakes. Krillin died. A lot of things happened that didn’t just get resolved overnight. If you think about the grand scheme of things this entire arc took place over the course of three days or so.

I’m just not sure that progressive anime storyline is in style right now.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:13 pm

Zeno has agreed not to erase all of existence due to the selflessness of 17's wish? The reward is everything doesn't get destroyed I guess.
We got a bunch more characters and universes to explore and I guess we see there's still more mountains to climb for Goku to reach the top. Jiren's too strong for him without Ultra Instinct and the man who murdered his parents is above him still.

Characters wise: Jiren got some character development and became less of a jerk ass as a result, 17 bonded with people so he should be spending a tiny bit more time with the gang with any luck. Also Frieza's alive and plotting to possibly be bigger than Zeno still as a result.

In terms of overall effect...well nothing unless Universes 13-18 were revived with 17's wish and the gang visit them or have an antagonist from those universes later down the line. Time will tell if the ToP was important to future storylines or not.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:13 pm

Goku surpassed Beerus

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:22 pm

Dinero was the point.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:24 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MMXWWrUgV38
This video has good points about the tournament and conexion with previous arc message

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:05 pm

With the exception of Tien, the arc gave other characters to shine. Krillin's, Roshi, Hit and Cabbage had their own central episodes. 18 fought for her love for Krillin's, 17 kicking ass and being the last one standing. Freeza and Goku's relationship became pretty fun. Gohan and Piccolo taking out U6 with Piccolo realizing he doesn't need to protect Gohan anymore. Jiren while started off bland became more of an interesting character near the end.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:12 pm

prince212 wrote:We get to know 66 new characters , 10 new gods couples , android 17 returns , ultra instinct... there’s a lot of things man
prince212 wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MMXWWrUgV38
This video has good points about the tournament and conexion with previous arc message
Both of these Points are Good Ones Prince212;

We God introduces to the Multiverse of Universes, gods and new characters of power in this Arc. New Characters help to spur new fandoms and bring both new and old fans alike into Dragon Ball again(Me being an example of that). New characters gained their own fandoms and enriched the Mythos of Dragon Ball more then any other arc since the Saiyan and Frieza arcs.

Also the Video makes some varied Valued points, the 2 final arcs of Dragon Ball Super where mostly about Mortals proving they have virtue and could become better then the gods thought they could be. The bringing back of the Universe was the only Wish that could be made to show that goodness and willing to make the right decision. It is like whether you are the strongest or not, in this ToP a Form of Brotherhood was made with many characters form U7 and others and the showing to preserving life is the greatest value above all.

It only is made more poetic when it was Android 17 that made this, a Villain that once Destroyed a Whole Planet and Terrorized it in Trunks future a version of him, now does a whole 180 and shows some of the most development of any Dragon Ball character to date. It also fits with his character ideal of being Park Ranger, to do all one could to preserve all forms of life, fitting that he made a wish that did just that. :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:53 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote: New Characters help to spur new fandoms and bring both new and old fans alike into Dragon Ball again(Me being an example of that). New characters gained their own fandoms and enriched the Mythos of Dragon Ball more then any other arc since the Saiyan and Frieza arcs.
It only is made more poetic when it was Android 17 that made this, a Villain that once Destroyed a Whole Planet and Terrorized it in Trunks future a version of him, now does a whole 180 and shows some of the most development of any Dragon Ball character to date. It also fits with his character ideal of being Park Ranger, to do all one could to preserve all forms of life, fitting that he made a wish that did just that. :thumbup:
Exactly CJStriker_CBR this T.O.P brings new and develop old characters ( android 17 mostly) . I’ll be looking forward for new appearances of a17 , same as other universes , u11, u6 , u2 love ... that’s a reason to be excited about the future of the series , because we want more !!
So T.O.P is the point to keep on going with the series with more openly possibilities than ever before in this franchise

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:59 pm

New character introductions, new forms, Frieza's back to life, character development, ect.

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:15 pm

Despite the tournament itself essentially being pointless (we went in with the same amount of universes as we came out), there was a shitload of stuff that happening DURING the tournament. Everyone else has pretty much already covered what this arc brought to the table, which was a lot.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:31 pm

-a noble person with a noble wish won and soared all the universes from destruction.
-Universe 7 prevailed over all the other universes
-Gohan was repaired back tinhis Buu saga strength (something GT messed up and Super looked like it was continuing)
-Freeza was developed a lot and had significant character growth
-17 was elevated as a character after a long absence.
-Goku reaches a new level beyond what most God’s are capable of
-Vegeta grew as a character and showed affinity for saving the U6 Saiyans
-we learned Zeno and the Priest weren’t just completely amoral monsters
-We met characters from all these different universes and had them added to the mythos to be used whenever necessary now. The number of in universe characters close to doubled.
-we got to learn more about the other worlds.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:30 am

To provide an immense expansion of the Dragon Ball cosmos and power hierarchy that would leave the door open for so many potential futures stories.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:21 pm

New character, new form, Frieza was brought back to life, Android 17 return, etc.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:25 pm

We're introduced to the first canon antagonist that is extremely powerful and isn't a villain.
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:21 pm

Also from Zeno's point of view, the point was to see how worthy of life the mortales were. If Jiren won and asked his selfish wish which probably involved travelling back in time to when his family died or something regarding his past, or Goku won and wished Freeza to be revived, or Freeza won and asked for a golden spaceship, Zeno would have erased even the universe that won. So the point was to see if ningen deserved a second chance.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:10 pm

Avenant wrote:We're introduced to the first canon antagonist that is extremely powerful and isn't a villain.
Except for, you know, Beerus. And probably others I'm forgetting.