What about Super disservice with characters like Goten, Trunks and Yamcha?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: What about Super disservice with characters like Goten, Trunks and Yamcha?

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:25 pm

Goten and Trunks being sidelined is perhaps more surprising than Yamcha, given that they were fairly prominent in the Buu arc, as well as in the video games.

Still, Goten and Trunks have been treated significantly better than Yamcha has. That much is undeniable. Trunks at least had some development during the Future Trunks arc, and Goten getting killed by Black in another timeline was something that made Goku extremely angry. Yamcha, on the other hand, has regularly been ignored by the other characters and when he does show up, it’s so that we could get jokes about how pathetic he is. The fact that Goku and Bulma of all people seemed to completely forget who he is when they needed to find a replacement for Buu, is perhaps the biggest insult to injury.

For the record, I’ve never actually been much of a Yamcha fan, but even I’ve found his treatment to be a bit too mean spirited, especially since he was part of the original cast.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:53 pm

lancerman wrote:
1. Did you read what you quoted? I literally said every notable arc since his debut arc. The first fight is disqualified by that.

2. Yes in the Baba tournament he got his butt kicked a whole fight before comedy shenanigans before getting embarrassed and treated like a joke in the next fight, which happened to be the first serious fight of that tournament. Also the Baba Tournament is just a piece of the second dragonball Hunt arc.

3. Okay good he still lost to Tenshinhan and was the sacrificial lamb

4. Kuriren after his debut arc advanced to the semi finals in the 22nd tournament, was one of the last men standing in the Saiyan arc, was a key figure in the Namek arc, played a significant role in the Android arc.
1. It still wouldn`t be correct because at Baba`s, they advance two rounds because of him.

2. Let me return the same logic: Kuririn was humiliated and treated as entertainment in that arc`s resolution and that be all which certainly does not beat the expressed likeability of taking Invisible Man down on his won before Baba herself cheat (that`s what you meant by embarassed by, I`ll take?).

3. Kuririn advanced to the semis by fighting people below their collective level (smelly fart man) and being awarded winning a fight by exploring a gag weakness of an opponent in Chiatzu while getting his ass kicked nearly the entire fight. That luck doesn`t help him otherwise anytime he faces someone who is similarly at Goku`s level without any gag weakness like it doesn`t help Yamcha or Tenshinhan.

On the other hand, neither the other two Earthlings ever lost to a Fangs those days so who knows, right?

Played a significant role, yes, that`s understated. He`s the main character best friend. He casually teams up the most with the stronger characters too. It doesn`t necessarily help him in solo standings that much even under Toryama since if I recall he`s the first to go down against jrs but he`s significant in stuff like destroying remote controls or cuting someone`s tail, I`ll grant you that. Still, that end up accomplishing as much as Tenshinhan delaying Cell and as much as Yamcha taking Goku to safety so he could take the medicine and get better to save the day but not really because Gohan.

I rest my case.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:46 pm

Yamcha has been completely irrelvant since DBZ started. It is not surprising nor is it a problem that he is not getting any usage. If it wasn't an issue before why is it an issue now?

Goten and Trunks are a different story. I did expect them to get more usage and it is probably disappointing to several people, but at the end of the day they still just had their bout against Super Buu and that was it. Me personally, their Super Buu fight, the "Yo son Goku and friends return" special, and planet Potafu are enough Goten and Trunks for me. Trunks hasn't done much fighting but he did get some usage in the FT arc where he powered up for Goku and had those interactions with his future self. We do get some slice of life stuff with them too.

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:54 pm

I like Goten, but I'd be weary of him and Trunks getting more spotlight because that might impede on Gohan getting more spotlight.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:35 pm

Puaru wrote:I like Goten, but I'd be weary of him and Trunks getting more spotlight because that might impede on Gohan getting more spotlight.
You really like Gohan don't you? Goten and Trunks getting spotlight didn't stop Gohan from getting spotlight in the Buu saga. He still got a very Gohan-esque power up

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:43 pm

Puaru wrote:I like Goten, but I'd be weary of him and Trunks getting more spotlight because that might impede on Gohan getting more spotlight.
But you said Gohan sucks anyways,why would you care about a character that sucks so much to get more spotlight?
You should be glad if anything since that mean Gohan could be retired and not embarass himself anymore just like you wished.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:10 pm

Not really, we had spotlight for both of them in the Boo arc.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.