Do you think we'll ever have an arc where Vegeta is the one who defeats the main enemy?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Do you think we'll ever have an arc where Vegeta is the one who defeats the main enemy?

Post by Asura » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:56 am

Goku has pretty much always handled every single enemy in the entire show (aside from Gohan with Cell) but Vegeta has yet to take on that main character role and do something that Goku can't, that he can be in the spotlight for once. Given how Super has treated Vegeta in trying to make him Goku's equal and more of a main character than he was in Z, do you think it's possible we'll ever see Vegeta win over Goku? The only one I can even maybe think of is Vegeta vs Freeza, but Freeza was already wounded and Vegeta didn't get the kill anyway.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Re: Do you think we'll ever have an arc where Vegeta is the one who defeats the main enemy?

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:05 am

The only character to get the final glory outside of goku was gohan who toriyama was planning on making the MC so unless Toriyama plans to make Vegeta the MC, probably NOT.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you think we'll ever have an arc where Vegeta is the one who defeats the main enemy?

Post by SsjCookie » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:31 am

I'd say after all this time he finally deserves to be the nr 1 for once instead of being used as a measuring tool for Goku all the time.
In DBZ I mostly didn't mind when he failed because he was such a huge prick all the time, but the Vegeta in Super is a whole different person who I'm actually started to root for in a fight.
He is now treated as the character who always falls short when things really matter, it's not a good image to have.
I'd love to see him reaching his life goal one day and be the best, he finally deserved it.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:20 am

To be honest, no, I don't think he ever will. If he ever did defeat the big bad of the arc when Goku couldn't it would be interesting for his character though, as it'd give him some development with his drive to surpass Goku.

If he never does defeat the big bad then I won't really mind. Even though it's mainly Goku who claims the victory, it's usually very entertaining and never feels like it'd have some drastic change in the finale if Vegeta ends it instead. I WOULD however dislike it if for some reason they present him the win half-assed just for the sake of having him be the one for once.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:19 am

Gohan was in the Cell arc, Trunks was in Black's anime arc and 17 was in the current arc. I think there's a good chance Vegeta will get his arc as well, the closest should be the Sadal arc. He did get most of the spotlight in RF's Super arc and Black's manga arc so there's that at least.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:22 am

Goku has pretty much always handled every single enemy in the entire show (aside from Gohan with Cell)
He also lost against Fused Zamasu. They had to resort to calling the King of All to defeat him, so technically Goku lost against Zamasu and only won thanks to Zen-Oh's intervention.

To be fair, Vegeta did utterly crush Goku Black in the Super's manga, remember? Vegeta humiliated and stomped Black -- the main villain -- and forced him to fuse with Future Zamasu in a last desperate effort to survive. I call that a great triumph.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:46 am

No. That doesn’t fit him If Goku is around .
8)
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:00 am

Should it matter? I mean, they aren't trophies given out to those who get the big kill against the major antagonist(s).

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:27 am

I mean Vegeta got pretty darn close this arc by defwating GoD Toppo in epic fashion. He also beat tbe crap out of Goku black in the zamasu arc. That is probably the closest he will ever get especially considering how much of a pathetic weakling he was in Z.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:56 am

Goku Black is the closest. But why should he. He's not the main character at any point. At least when Gohan and Future Trunks did the story was about them.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:02 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Should it matter? I mean, they aren't trophies given out to those who get the big kill against the major antagonist(s).
Some butterfly told me they get to eat more.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:25 am

Big Black Saiyan wrote:Goku Black is the closest. But why should he. He's not the main character at any point. At least when Gohan and Future Trunks did the story was about them.
Dont forget about beating God of Destruction Toppo....

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:28 pm

Big Black Saiyan wrote:why should he. He's not the main character at any point.
17 just won the biggest tournament in DB so anything's possible.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:32 pm

He defeated God Toppo. If that's not "good enough" for some people I don't know what is.

Reminds me of those trolls on twitter sending hate messages to one of the Japanese writers like idiots for Vegeta losing to Jiren. When in reality it's Toriyama who decided the fate of each character in the TOP, not the individual writer of the ep anyway.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:33 pm

precita wrote:He defeated God Toppo. If that's not "good enough" for some people I don't know what is.
Second fiddle... :lol:

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:49 pm

sintzu wrote:
Big Black Saiyan wrote:why should he. He's not the main character at any point.
17 just won the biggest tournament in DB so anything's possible.
Yeah but he didn't beat the main opponent :p

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:46 pm

As much as I want him to, I know it won't happen. Toriyama talked about how he wanted Vegeta to be the hero for once, and look that hasn't happened. Why? Super is one big Goku circlejerk so of course it would focus on Goku. Even gohan, who once defeated a main antagonist, is irrelevant.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:53 am

Diccolo-420 wrote:As much as I want him to, I know it won't happen. Toriyama talked about how he wanted Vegeta to be the hero for once, and look that hasn't happened. Why? Super is one big Goku circlejerk so of course it would focus on Goku. Even gohan, who once defeated a main antagonist, is irrelevant.
At least Vegeta always gives it his absolute all in a fight, but unfortunately always falls short when it matters.
This is like a red thread throughout all the arcs we have seen so far, in short....we can always be sure that Vegeta stays second fiddle to Goku....so boring. :yawn:

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:44 am

Asura wrote:Goku has pretty much always handled every single enemy in the entire show (aside from Gohan with Cell) but Vegeta has yet to take on that main character role and do something that Goku can't, that he can be in the spotlight for once. Given how Super has treated Vegeta in trying to make him Goku's equal and more of a main character than he was in Z, do you think it's possible we'll ever see Vegeta win over Goku? The only one I can even maybe think of is Vegeta vs Freeza, but Freeza was already wounded and Vegeta didn't get the kill anyway.
I can never see this happening due to the fact that Japan likes Goku A LOT and comments made by Toei and Shueisha people in the past have indicated that they don't feel comfortable not having Goku front and center. This is Goku's story afterall, not Vegeta or Gohan's. Also when Toriyama did that with Gohan in the Cell Arc, there was significant blacklash from the Japanese fans, so I personally don't see this happening in a million years. Even if Toryiama wanted to, the big wigs at Toei and Shueisha would never allow it.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:48 am

sintzu wrote:Gohan was in the Cell arc, Trunks was in Black's anime arc and 17 was in the current arc. I think there's a good chance Vegeta will get his arc as well, the closest should be the Sadal arc. He did get most of the spotlight in RF's Super arc and Black's manga arc so there's that at least.
He was never depicted as the strongest fighter though. Even when Goku loses, he's always depicted has being the strongest warrior in U7, the fighting prodigy. The wins that Trunks and 17 got were great moments, but they weren't depicted as being the best warrior. I think that's what the OP means. Correct me if I'm wrong.