I'm happy that the last 3 fighters were not all saiyans

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lujin_16
Regular

I'm happy that the last 3 fighters were not all saiyans

Post by Lujin_16 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:18 pm

At the beginning of the tournament we all thought the last fighters of team 7 would be Goku,Vegeta and Gohan

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: I'm happy that the last 3 fighters were not all saiyans

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:34 pm

I wouldn't mind if it was Goku/Gohan/Freeza, but I'm glad with what we got. Goku/Gohan/Vegeta as the final three would be terrible though.
I also like how C17 was the winner, but Goku/Freeza were the ones that eliminated Jiren.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:48 pm

I don't see what the big deal would be, the Buu saga had 5 Saiyans as the leads and it didn't matter.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:52 pm

It's just nice to see something different once in a while. Pre tournament I doubt many guessed 17 would not only outlast Gohan but also Vegeta and even be the last man standing. I was expecting Frieza to make it to the final three alongside the no brainer Goku, but I couldn't decide if it was going to be Vegeta(because Super) or Gohan(because Toei made a bit of a big deal out of him in the recruitment episodes).
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:56 pm

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:26 pm

precita wrote:I don't see what the big deal would be, the Buu saga had 5 Saiyans as the leads and it didn't matter.
It was quite annoying to see Piccolo be turned into a babysitter.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:38 pm

That's why I liked the fight against Jiren as much as I did since we had two non saiyans play a big role in the final fight against the major boss of the arc. Now please correct me if I'm wrong but I can't remember or recall any other instance were a non saiyan has played a big role in the final fight. Now maybe I'll be wrong about this but I feel like we'll go right back to only saiyan characters being important in the final fights.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:09 pm

CriticalThinker wrote:That's why I liked the fight against Jiren as much as I did since we had two non saiyans play a big role in the final fight against the major boss of the arc. Now please correct me if I'm wrong but I can't remember or recall any other instance were a non saiyan has played a big role in the final fight. Now maybe I'll be wrong about this but I feel like we'll go right back to only saiyan characters being important in the final fights.
How could you forget the fight with Kid Buu, Goku wouldn't have won without THE WORLD CHAMPION MR. SATAN!

But besides him, I guess Yajirobe could technically count for getting rid of Vegeta's Great Ape form.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:22 pm

Logania wrote:
CriticalThinker wrote:That's why I liked the fight against Jiren as much as I did since we had two non saiyans play a big role in the final fight against the major boss of the arc. Now please correct me if I'm wrong but I can't remember or recall any other instance were a non saiyan has played a big role in the final fight. Now maybe I'll be wrong about this but I feel like we'll go right back to only saiyan characters being important in the final fights.
How could you forget the fight with Kid Buu, Goku wouldn't have won without THE WORLD CHAMPION MR. SATAN!

But besides him, I guess Yajirobe could technically count for getting rid of Vegeta's Great Ape form.
Damn I can't believe I forgot about the champs involvement in that fight, I don't even know if I can call myself a Dragon ball fan anymore for forgetting someone so important. Also yeah I guess it counts he was easily the MVP of that fight after all.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:43 pm

The final fight with Vegeta was Goku, Gohan, Krillin and Yajirobe. So half of the fighters were humans.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:09 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:
The final fight with Vegeta was Goku, Gohan, Krillin and Yajirobe. So half of the fighters were humans.
My memory is garbage and I didn't think of that when I first posted my comment. So yeah that's another good final fight that involved non saiyans.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:29 pm

The gesture is appreciated, definitely. We haven't had a hands-on approach from non-Saiyans against the main antagonist since Vegeta in the Saiyan arc. All the same, while it is appreciated, I do have to confess to preferring others over the ones that were chosen. Freeza's return was executed very carefully and efficiently, but I feel that he wasn't absolutely necessary addition to the scene. Moreover, we all know the contentious lengths which had to be taken to rationalise #17 being included, let alone holding out all of the way until the end. I think when people were hoping to see the non-Saiyan fighters partake in some of the core action they were referring to the people whom we had been following for multiple arcs previously -- Piccolo, Tenshinhan, Krillin, Yamcha, ect. What was the end result was definitely on the bizarre side, I have to say.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:28 pm

To be fair even though Android 17 did win it really was more like Vegeta was one of the last three.

It's actually a positive. They gave Vegeta his moment but gave A17 a part to play.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:19 pm

Yes, thank god for diversity in Super.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:08 am

I'm a Gohan fan but I don't mind at all that he wasn't one of the last 3 fighters from U7. It's a nice change up to see characters other than Saiyans fight a final battle
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:32 pm

It's nice to see other characters that isn't a Saiyan to fight the final battle.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:14 pm

Torturephile wrote:
precita wrote:I don't see what the big deal would be, the Buu saga had 5 Saiyans as the leads and it didn't matter.
They should just write him off the show now. It's much better at this point. Humiliated by a bug, destroyed by chopsticks, one shotted by Tagoma, fodder in the U6 arc, background for Gohan, etc.

Have him go to Namek and become its protector and let him stay there in obscurity, if Super does come back in 2019.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:17 pm

omaro34 wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
They should just write him off the show now. It's much better at this point. Humiliated by a bug, destroyed by chopsticks, one shotted by Tagoma, fodder in the U6 arc, background for Gohan, etc.

Have him go to Namek and become its protector and let him stay there in obscurity, if Super does come back in 2019.
I'd rather him getting a cool moment/fight/role. They managed to make 17 relevant and popular, it shouldn't really be hard to do so with Piccolo, a character that most of the fandom likes.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:03 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
Torturephile wrote: It was quite annoying to see Piccolo be turned into a babysitter.

I'd rather him getting a cool moment/fight/role. They managed to make 17 relevant and popular, it shouldn't really be hard to do so with Piccolo, a character that most of the fandom likes.
For that to happen that means Toriyama must stop going out of his way to humiliate Piccolo,he is the one responsible for Piccolo's bad treatment(outside of his treatment in the anime arc of rof),then again you could make a case of Toriyama having killed Piccolo both as a fighter and as a character since the Buu arc,everything after that is just beating up his corpse.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:29 am

omaro34 wrote:
Torturephile wrote:

Just send Piccolo to Universe 6 Namek when Goku and Vegeta go to Planet Sadala. He can train with them for some time and then come back in a future arc. Toriyama can just say that Universe 6 Namek had some new training methods that only the best Namekians can do.

I'm still waiting for something Namekian related in the Namekian Book of Legends.

He definitely needs to go somewhere as current Piccolo is just made to look ridiculous most of the time compared to how they used to treat him.