Super Saiyan Blue's best moments

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Super Saiyan Blue's best moments

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:44 am

The SSB in anime is constantly criticized for not having an impact on powerful opponents, for the '' banailzation '' of the transformation or because of their defeats.

I agree with that and I also think the manga treated it better, but there have certainly been situations where TOEI actually presented the transformation in a decent way. And even if you do not like it that form, tell the moments when SSB really impacted you
For me:

1 - Vegeta SSB destroying Goku Black SSJ Rosé (EP 63) - This scene really made it seem like the SSB was something great and powerful. The soundtrack, the way Vegeta beats someone as powerful as Black at the time, and the way he ends the episode is just incredible. A worth scene for a transformation like Blue

2 - Goku showing the SSB to all the gods (EP EP 81) - Another great scene. It was incredible how the gods quickly noticed Ki's pressure and were surprised at a human being able to use a divine form like that, speaking until it was a transformation that rivals the gods.
I think the only downside is that this was quickly overshadowed by the use of Kaioken

3 - Vegeta showing SSB to Kyabe (EP 37) - This scene was impressive. Vegeta showing the level where Kyabe could reach, the divine Ki expanding through the arena dome, Hitto finally opening his eyes and looking closely at Blue (while with SSJ, he did not care much), and Vegeta's incredible finish make this scene also be worthy of one of the best SSB demonstrations on DBS.

4 - Goku power up against Jiren (EP 122) - At this point in the tournament, the SSB had been used several times, but I believe that TOEI still managed to create a shocking scene of Goku facing Jiren and raising his Ki to the maximum as SSB. The soundtrack as always amazing, and the animation was good too

Honorable mentions: Goku showing SSB to Jiren and Kefla (EP 109 and 115), and Vegeta using SSB against Trunks (EP 54). These were moments that also highlighted the use of Blue as a really powerful transformation

sintzu
Banned

Re: Super Saiyan Blue's best moments

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:05 am

I'd add to your list Vegeta showing off SsjB against Freeza and not only beating him down but surprising everyone while doing so.

Goku using it with the Kaioken is easily in my top 5 transformations as it and the fight that followed were pulled off really well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:44 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote:I agree with that and I also think the manga treated it better, but there have certainly been situations where TOEI actually presented the transformation in a decent way. And even if you do not like it that form, tell the moments when SSB really impacted you
Definitely Goku's brief clash against Frieza in Episode 95. That scene alone put more impact and weight behind the form than any other scene in the anime for me, and it did so without relying on additional power-ups or rage boosts. Just a ridiculously well-directed sequence.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:01 am

Marlowe89 wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:I agree with that and I also think the manga treated it better, but there have certainly been situations where TOEI actually presented the transformation in a decent way. And even if you do not like it that form, tell the moments when SSB really impacted you
Definitely Goku's brief clash against Frieza in Episode 95. That scene alone put more impact and weight behind the form than any other scene in the anime for me, and it did so without relying on additional power-ups or rage boosts. Just a ridiculously well-directed sequence.
It also helps that it was animated by one of the most well known and liked animators to have ever worked on the franchise.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:42 am

Goku transforming against Gohan was also great, especially with that music.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:06 am

Any moment SSGSS appeared was a good moment!

(Topic is a good reminder need to finish cleaning the SSGSS album and getting rid of all the iffy shots!)

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:20 am

How dare you forget SSJ Blue Vegeta pownstomping Golden Freeza!??? xD

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:03 am

Ssb Vegito tanking M zamasu giant energy ball with one hand

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:57 pm

Goku brute forcing his way through Merged Zamasu Holy Ray attack and overclocking the power of SSJB in Episode 66. Made even better by the fact that:

- Goku put so much power in the Kamehameha he broke both his arms
- The moment alluded to Vegeta's speech to Goku Black in Episode 63 about how only Goku can use the Saiyan cells within him to his fullest
- Served as a wonderfully cathartic moment for all the torment that Goku Black and Zamasu together had created for Goku

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:42 pm

-Gokus first use of SSBKK against Hit
-Vegeta beating down Goku Black
-Vegito Blue!!!!
-Goku charging up against Jiren during the Tournament
-Vegeta and Goku charging up before Vegeta unlocked SSBE
-The last standoff with Goku and Vegeta at the end of 131

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:35 pm

The best moment for SSJB for me is probably when he goes Kaioken x10 against Hit. Probably the most hype moment for me in all of Super and one of the only few scenes I go back and rewatch.

Honorable mention goes to SSJB in 'Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!' 8)
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:31 pm

I'm not really a fan of the Kaioken Blue transformation. It looks really cool but I feel it undermines how powerful Super Saiyan Blue truely is. I prefer the manga's version, SSB Mastered, instead of Kaioken Blue. I even enjoyed the fight with Hit with just SSG and SSB at the end. It showed how powerful Goku and Friends have become instead of the same old same old with a new enemy being levels above them.

It also doesn't help that it has been spammed so many times to the point where it lost it's effect on me. It should've been shown to be more risky than it was in episodes after the first time he used it.

I'm really hoping Kaioken Blue or other Toei transformations don't occur in the new movie.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:33 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
1 - Vegeta SSB destroying Goku Black SSJ Rosé (EP 63) - This scene really made it seem like the SSB was something great and powerful. The soundtrack, the way Vegeta beats someone as powerful as Black at the time, and the way he ends the episode is just incredible. A worth scene for a transformation like Blue
Then they foolishly undid it all the very next episode by having black "evolve" again with BS-ex machina.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:37 pm

I'd have to agree that Kaioken Blue completely devalues the form. With the exception of one or two events, it also wasn't very successful at creating a substantial effect on the plot or Goku's progress in fights beyond looking cool or pandering to fans. Even in the anime, the normal Super Saiyan Blue was much better at that -- most of Goku's craziest accomplishments throughout the show came from bursting his own power without a supposedly "risky" multiplier technique stacked on top of it.

Even if I'm not the biggest fan of Blue, I wouldn't mind seeing it in the movie as long as it's handled carefully and conservatively. I can do without Kaioken though; I feel like that technique should have been retired altogether after Namek, and I've always hated its repercussions on the plot and character dynamics in Super.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:01 pm

Exline wrote:I'm not really a fan of the Kaioken Blue transformation. It looks really cool but I feel it undermines how powerful Super Saiyan Blue truely is. I prefer the manga's version, SSB Mastered, instead of Kaioken Blue. I even enjoyed the fight with Hit with just SSG and SSB at the end. It showed how powerful Goku and Friends have become instead of the same old same old with a new enemy being levels above them.

It also doesn't help that it has been spammed so many times to the point where it lost it's effect on me. It should've been shown to be more risky than it was in episodes after the first time he used it.

I'm really hoping Kaioken Blue or other Toei transformations don't occur in the new movie.
I agree.

The fact that Goku constantly uses the Kaioken against his opponents, overshadows the power of the SSB, I also said that in the post. It makes it seem like it's not such a powerful form and that Goku needs something above Blue.

At first this was not such a big problem, because the Kaioken was a technique that was too risky for Goku's body. But then it just seems to dominate in a way that almost completely cancels out the effects of Kaioken on the body, something strange considering that even in DBZ this did not happen.

So I liked what Toyotaro did with SSB.
Even though the SSB's over-spending of energy was a little overdone and strange, it was a way to explore the transformation, to make Goku and Vegeta improve it, and the Mastered SSB concept is really interesting
TBMx wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:
Then they foolishly undid it all the very next episode by having black "evolve" again with BS-ex machina.
Yes, this is sad. It would be much better if it happened as in the manga, in which Vegeta, with Goku's help, really forces Black to merge.
In the anime, it seemed that all of Vegeta's training was useless because Black simply gained another nonsense power up

But about the Vegeta scene destroying Black, at least it was really something great for SSB.
Marlowe89 wrote:I'd have to agree that Kaioken Blue completely devalues the form. With the exception of one or two events, it wasn't even very successful at creating a substantial effect on the plot or Goku's progress in fights beyond looking cool or pandering to fans. Even in the anime, the normal Super Saiyan Blue was much better at that -- most of Goku's craziest accomplishments throughout the show came from bursting his own power without a supposedly "risky" multiplier technique stacked on top of it.

Even if I'm not the biggest fan of Blue, I wouldn't mind seeing it in the movie as long as it's handled carefully and conservatively. I can do without Kaioken though; I feel like that technique should have been retired altogether after Namek, and I've always hated its repercussions on the plot and character dynamics in Super.
Yes.

Honestly, I think Blue Kaioken's only win at DBS was against Bergamo in the exhibition tournament.
But otherwise, this form was not very effective in the fights, even if it had a good explanation of why Goku had been able to use it in DBS, although afterwards Goku simply managed to use the Blue Kaioken without any damage to the body

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:26 am

1. Goku's Kai o' Ken against Hit
2. Vegetto vs. Zamasu
3. Vegeta Dominating Golden Freeza
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:53 am

Exline wrote:I'm not really a fan of the Kaioken Blue transformation. It looks really cool but I feel it undermines how powerful Super Saiyan Blue truely is. I prefer the manga's version, SSB Mastered, instead of Kaioken Blue. I even enjoyed the fight with Hit with just SSG and SSB at the end. It showed how powerful Goku and Friends have become instead of the same old same old with a new enemy being levels above them.

I don't understand how anyone could have genuinely enjoyed that fight. It didn't even succeed as being pure spectacle. It was just a boring final confrontation, especially since the entire tournament was already them just fodderizing guys who didn't have any build up to their characters. In other words, how are we supposed to be impressed that Goku and Vegeta are dominating random guys, when we know literally next to nothing about these guys?

Thats why I felt the anime's approach to the tournament was generally better, and actually made more sense considering the point of the arc was to demonstrate what other universes had to offer. In that regard, it made far more sense to show how powerful and threatening these random guys are by having them all get strong showings against our main cast(and draw attention to that fact), rather than emphasizing how much more powerful our heroes are in comparison to the strongest fighters of another universe.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:40 am

JazzMazz wrote:

I don't understand how anyone could have genuinely enjoyed that fight. It didn't even succeed as being pure spectacle. It was just a boring final confrontation, especially since the entire tournament was already them just fodderizing guys who didn't have any build up to their characters. In other words, how are we supposed to be impressed that Goku and Vegeta are dominating random guys, when we know literally next to nothing about these guys?

Thats why I felt the anime's approach to the tournament was generally better, and actually made more sense considering the point of the arc was to demonstrate what other universes had to offer. In that regard, it made far more sense to show how powerful and threatening these random guys are by having them all get strong showings against our main cast(and draw attention to that fact), rather than emphasizing how much more powerful our heroes are in comparison to the strongest fighters of another universe.
I didn't mean to imply I thought it was better than the anime version, but I did enjoy it nonetheless. I find it boring that everyone is immediately above Blue and the anime didn't really give it a chance to shine on it's own barring Resurrection F. The only problem with Hit in manga imo is they made him TOO Weak. He could've at least given Goku a harder time. I did like the idea of Goku being the one to surprise everyone on the bleachers for both Universes with his strength, showing how strong he and Vegeta have come. The very next arc than depicts their struggle against a God on their level. The Goku and Hit was proving how Mortals compare to God Ki users.

I thought the storyboarding of the fight was great, but could've been better. Same with the anime version. Kaioken's reveal was great at the tournament only, but like I said before, I had gotten bored of it. For some reason, I feel Blue should have been revealed in the U6 Tournament instead of being thrown at us without any proper explanation besides SSJ stacked ontop of SSG, which seems pretty dumb honestly.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:32 pm

Episode 81 is the only time SSB felt like it was truly something special for me, in the anime or the manga.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:06 am

1-Goku use SSJBK against Hit
    2-Goku vs Jiren in the special
      3-Vegetto vs Fused Zamasu
        4-Vegeta use SSB against Future Trunks.