What character will Super step on next when it comes back?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

What character will Super step on next when it comes back?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:25 am

Super has infamously stepped on various characters to either write in cheap jokes or pander to certain parts of the fandom. They did it with Gohan, Tien, Goten, and Mr. Boo... I now am weary who they'll go after next.

Your thoughts...?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Re: What character will Super step on next when it comes back?

Post by Simere » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:18 am

It's my understanding they've all already been stepped on.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:40 am

I think anyone who can be stepped on has already been thrown under the bus so no one :lol:. With that said, I think with the extra time they have for pre-production super will see a major improvement in nearly all areas so hopefully the characters they did wrong will be handled a lot better. The TOP generally speaking tried to make up for what the previous arcs did so we're off to a good start.

Goku and Vegeta were on the top of their game, 17 and Freeza were great surprises written just as good, Gohan and Piccolo got back into the spotlight, Master Roshi made an amazing come back, and lets not forget F Trunks got his own arc. My main issue with Super isn't the way the Z fighters have been written (although it's up there), it's the potential they've yet to realize with the other universes so that's higher on my priority list of things I want improved on once it returns.

Thankfully Super hasn't done anything that can't be fixed in the future and I fully believe when it's back the majority of our problems will be taken care of.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:51 pm

What did Super do to Goten? Regardless, nothing they’ve done so far can’t be fixed as Gohan for example has come quite far from where he used to be. Though I’m also curious on what did Super do to Gohan that was so bad as well

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:44 pm

sintzu wrote:I think anyone who can be stepped on has already been thrown under the bus so no one :lol:. With that said, I think with the extra time they have for pre-production super will see a major improvement in nearly all areas so hopefully the characters they did wrong will be handled a lot better. The TOP generally speaking tried to make up for what the previous arcs did so we're off to a good start.

Goku and Vegeta were on the top of their game, 17 and Freeza were great surprises written just as good, Gohan and Piccolo got back into the spotlight, Master Roshi made an amazing come back, and lets not forget F Trunks got his own arc. My main issue with Super isn't the way the Z fighters have been written (although it's up there), it's the potential they've yet to realize with the other universes so that's higher on my priority list of things I want improved on once it returns.

Thankfully Super hasn't done anything that can't be fixed in the future and I fully believe when it's back the majority of our problems will be taken care of.
He didnn't have any proper spotlight. To me he was treated as a complete afterthought and I feel the same about Tien, Krillin, Hit, Cabba and Frost.

Toriyama doesn't care about the other new Universes that much. He only cared about Jiren who was the new antagonist, Caulfia and Kale who are the new Saiyans and a Ribrianne who is a big joke. I think he wasted Saonel, Pirina, Trio de Dangers and most of the Pride Troopers from the newly introduced characters.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:35 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:He didnn't have any proper spotlight. To me he was treated as a complete afterthought and I feel the same about Tien, Krillin, Hit, Cabba and Frost.

Toriyama doesn't care about the other new Universes that much.

I think he wasted Saonel, Pirina, Trio de Dangers and most of the Pride Troopers from the newly introduced characters.
He didn't get as much as I wanted him to but it was better than the previous arcs so fingers crossed it gets better moving forward. The others I agree with, although there isn't that much you can do with the humans at this point.

I really hope this changes in the future as the possibilities are limitless with them.

I think the anime did a good job with the trio, at least compared to the manga but in terms of everything else it couldn't be helped as like you said, Toriyama seemingly didn't care that much about them so they had nothing to work with.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:30 pm

Krillin. He's gonna be even shorter than he was in Super. Poor man's gonna get trampled on by accident.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:44 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:He didnn't have any proper spotlight. To me he was treated as a complete afterthought and I feel the same about Tien, Krillin, Hit, Cabba and Frost.

Toriyama doesn't care about the other new Universes that much. He only cared about Jiren who was the new antagonist, Caulfia and Kale who are the new Saiyans and a Ribrianne who is a big joke. I think he wasted Saonel, Pirina, Trio de Dangers and most of the Pride Troopers from the newly introduced characters.
I really don't see it as Toriyama not caring about any of the other Universes, it seems really more of it seemed like the Studio, Writing, Editorial and Maybe also Toriyama as well who knows who was pulling the main strings of the Anime Arc in the ToP storyline, but the whole of the story was really Making U7 have the most Victories in every-way possible and making as good as possible in the ToP arc for whatever reasons fans might think they did this, but likely for Marketing Aspects and also maybe fear of fan backlash if some new character just intro-ed made a veteran character look bad.

So I think it was not caring about them, it was just telling the fans that U7 will always be the best and not to worry about these new guys on the blocking taking over the series or U7 is so Very Good and always will be, please buy all the New Merchandise that Has MUI on it or U7 characters on it cause we know you like them the best.

Sadly I think Toei underestimates other fans who Want to see characters of the New Universes Do well and be expanded and promoted in the Next Series that comes along. NEW Character Fans felt great moments of Disappointment with Toei when they Undercut New Characters in Making Older U7 characters to look good and while I am happy for any fan that got to see their U7 favorite character shine at times, it was a mistake to undercut so many New Characters .

So Really I think Now that the Greatness measuring contest of the ToP is over, Toei needs to show it is serious about Expanding these Universes and Characters like Jiren, Ribrianne, Toppo, The Trio-De-Dangers, Kale, Cabba, Caulifla and others and the Next Series is good ground for that to happen and many fans seem to expect that to happen.

However if the New Universes mostly get forgotten and stepped on like the Thread Title says and just goes again for the Goku, Vegeta and U7 show then many fans like me will lose interest in even sticking with DB for a time to come, fans that are more invested in the New Characters then the classic ones.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:29 pm

I figure if Super returns, they'll have to go past End of Z. So that means most of the old cast (Krillin, 18, Piccolo, Gohan) will get the boot

However, I would like Goten, Trunks, Kid Pan, Uub, and maybe even Bulla (no reason Vegeta wouldn't train her) get more of the spotlight. I think it'd be interesting to see how a post Z under the direction of Toriyama would go

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 01, 2018 12:56 am

MKCSTEALTH wrote:I figure if Super returns, they'll have to go past End of Z. So that means most of the old cast (Krillin, 18, Piccolo, Gohan) will get the boot.
Gohan in EOZ is only 25-26 and Piccolo doesn't look out of shape so there's no reason to take them out.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue May 01, 2018 3:41 am

CJStriker_CBR wrote:

I really don't see it as Toriyama not caring about any of the other Universes, it seems really more of it seemed like the Studio, Writing, Editorial and Maybe also Toriyama as well who knows who was pulling the main strings of the Anime Arc in the ToP storyline, but the whole of the story was really Making U7 have the most Victories in every-way possible and making as good as possible in the ToP arc for whatever reasons fans might think they did this, but likely for Marketing Aspects and also maybe fear of fan backlash if some new character just intro-ed made a veteran character look bad.

So I think it was not caring about them, it was just telling the fans that U7 will always be the best and not to worry about these new guys on the blocking taking over the series or U7 is so Very Good and always will be, please buy all the New Merchandise that Has MUI on it or U7 characters on it cause we know you like them the best.

Sadly I think Toei underestimates other fans who Want to see characters of the New Universes Do well and be expanded and promoted in the Next Series that comes along. NEW Character Fans felt great moments of Disappointment with Toei when they Undercut New Characters in Making Older U7 characters to look good and while I am happy for any fan that got to see their U7 favorite character shine at times, it was a mistake to undercut so many New Characters .

So Really I think Now that the Greatness measuring contest of the ToP is over, Toei needs to show it is serious about Expanding these Universes and Characters like Jiren, Ribrianne, Toppo, The Trio-De-Dangers, Kale, Cabba, Caulifla and others and the Next Series is good ground for that to happen and many fans seem to expect that to happen.

However if the New Universes mostly get forgotten and stepped on like the Thread Title says and just goes again for the Goku, Vegeta and U7 show then many fans like me will lose interest in even sticking with DB for a time to come, fans that are more invested in the New Characters then the classic ones.
They made Universe 7 look too good. The Trio de dangers didn't need to exit so early. Saonel and Pirirna should have been shown getting stronger throughout the tournament constantly and had a fight against someone else. 7 pride troooers were just filler they could have at least had 5 decent Pride Troopers.

Universe 6 will obviously come back apart from maybe Dr Rota so they will get some development. Universe 11 has a problem right now and that is Jiren is way too strong to include in a story. Universe 2 would be the next likely to return but the other 4 definitely won't.

Your favoruite new character Ribrianne and my new favourite Jiren could be away for a long time.

These characters are a part of Dragon Ball now and fans like them so they should be used in the future even though people say fans shouldn't dictate. Future stories have to include these Universes as they have a lot more to explore and have the most potential.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Tue May 01, 2018 11:53 pm

I will make this post for Puaru and say Gohan.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:28 am

Torturephile wrote:I will make this post for Puaru and say Gohan.
But you didnt give a creative analogy to go along with it!

Asura

Post by Asura » Wed May 02, 2018 3:13 am

Zen Yabuki wrote:What did Super do to Goten?
Absolutely nothing, that's the problem.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Wed May 02, 2018 7:53 am

Asura wrote:
I rather have nothing done with him than have him be an embarrassment like Tenshinhan.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed May 02, 2018 7:58 am

They shrinked him lol

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Wed May 02, 2018 10:06 am

PFM18 wrote:
Torturephile wrote:I will make this post for Puaru and say Gohan.
But you didnt give a creative analogy to go along with it!
Gohan sucks. He deserves no analogy.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Wed May 02, 2018 4:53 pm

Asura wrote:
Sure but the opening statement says Goten got stepped on by Super when it didn’t. Goten’s issue was that he was ignored all throughout Super.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun May 06, 2018 9:24 am

Zen Yabuki wrote:
Asura wrote:
Sure but the opening statement says Goten got stepped on by Super when it didn’t. Goten’s issue was that he was ignored all throughout Super.
People step on things they ignore all the time in a literal sense. I think it makes sense figuratively too.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon May 07, 2018 10:17 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:

They made Universe 7 look too good. The Trio de dangers didn't need to exit so early. Saonel and Pirirna should have been shown getting stronger throughout the tournament constantly and had a fight against someone else. 7 pride troooers were just filler they could have at least had 5 decent Pride Troopers.

Universe 6 will obviously come back apart from maybe Dr Rota so they will get some development. Universe 11 has a problem right now and that is Jiren is way too strong to include in a story. Universe 2 would be the next likely to return but the other 4 definitely won't.

Your favoruite new character Ribrianne and my new favourite Jiren could be away for a long time.

These characters are a part of Dragon Ball now and fans like them so they should be used in the future even though people say fans shouldn't dictate. Future stories have to include these Universes as they have a lot more to explore and have the most potential.
The 7 Pride Troopers being put to waste, Espcially 5 of them and Kahseral worst of all was a major letdown for me. Episode 101 ended up being the worst episode overall in the ToP IMO cause when I say Kahseral who was built up so well as being a force for U11 and then was both not only wasted with 5 other pride-troopers so easyly and then even manhandled so Easy, Kahseral who seemed like a Seasoned Veteran on the Frontlines of his Universe in the heat of many battles and wars, who was manhanded by 17 and 18 like he ment nothing just dropped me stomach so hard I can't even explain it fully.

Again nothing against 17 or 18, but the lack of luster and power that they should have gave, Toei that is, to other Universe characters just made it clear that it was not these characters are fodder that was the problem, but Toei made U7 way to Powerful and they made U7's victories against champions of other universes look to easy and to me that should be the major criticism against Toei for the ToP arc. I don't call characters fodders at all, it is an unfair branding when the Real Lable should be which is;

They made U7 WAY To Good and Way to Powerful and Made it look way to easy for them. They did this either cause of fear of making fans upset if U7 did not look good or just lazy writing or just marketing reasons, but for whatever reasons, Toei dropped the Ball HARD on that point and it gave me Much Sympathy and Fandom for the other Universes over U7 so much.

The other Universes are Rich in Characters and Possible Story elements, way to much to overlook.

No matter what some and I still just value it at a few fans that did not like the New Universe characters, they are still part of the DB Mythos now and will always be, their is more the DB then just U7's doings and Toei just can't expect to put that Genie back in the bottle anymore.

Indeed fans should not always be dictated what they want, but it should be expect with how much work they put into these Universes backgrounds and now that the ToP is over and the worry that U7 would be made to look bad is now over, Toei should be serious in building up these Universes and their Major Characters like Ribrianne, the Fireballs, Kale, Caulifla, Jiren, Toppo, Kahseral, The Trio-De-Dangers and others to give them both the backstories and the building of their power levels they promised in the ToP but seem to fall short of cause of reasons we are not aware of. Some got some good backstory and built like Ribrianne, Toppo and Jiren, but Toei needs to go much further with this.

Fans of the New characters and wanting them are not going away either, we are part of the fandom now and we are proud of the Characters we like. 8)

So I would Hope that Toei has great plans for them otherwise they can find themselves loosing support of fans of new characters if they are left behind.

I still believe in Toei and they only hamstrung some of the new characters in the ToP cause of internal reasons only for that arc cause they needs out of the writers hands maybe. But now with the Power Level contest now over, we can get to story and world building again and my hope is Toei is serious about using these new characters as much as they hyped them for being created.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker