Has Super made you appreciate SSJ3 more?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Freezerbaby
Beyond Newbie

Re: Has Super made you appreciate SSJ3 more?

Post by Freezerbaby » Thu May 03, 2018 4:15 pm

I think Final form freeza should have confronted ssj3 gotenks and ssj3 goku back in RoF.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:I don't know if it made me appreciate the form more, but I agree that it was criminally underused in the anime; drawbacks and all. In stark contrast, Blue was overused. At times it really did seem like the individual Super Saiyan stages were implemented based on whatever was popular or convenient for the animators as opposed to what benefited the story's internal consistency, and I think that ultimately harmed the show more than it helped.

Personally, I'd love to see Super Saiyan 3 get more representation in the future.
If it's a form that people don't care for, animators find difficult to draw or rather other SS forms easier to draw, the form itself also has many problems is it really "criminally underused" and does it really need more representation?

SS3 is such a dud of a transformation about time it got put to death.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu May 03, 2018 6:37 pm

SSJ3 is epic. People would love to see Goku utilize all his modes more.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:11 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: If it's a form that people don't care for, animators find difficult to draw or rather other SS forms easier to draw, the form itself also has many problems is it really "criminally underused" and does it really need more representation?

Well, it couldn't have been such a dud that Goku would have refused to use it during the few occasions it's shown in the anime, and secondly, it's questionable as to how severe the drawbacks actually are at this point in the story -- Goku didn't mention or indicate any major issue with it in BoG and the Super manga, and during the Tournament of Power, he used it when he was already low on stamina. Clearly it was never meant to be retired like the "grade" forms were.

I don't particularly care about how popular it is at the moment; that has no relevance to my point.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat May 05, 2018 5:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:I don't know if it made me appreciate the form more, but I agree that it was criminally underused in the anime; drawbacks and all. In stark contrast, Blue was overused. At times it really did seem like the individual Super Saiyan stages were implemented based on whatever was popular or convenient for the animators as opposed to what benefited the story's internal consistency, and I think that ultimately harmed the show more than it helped.

Personally, I'd love to see Super Saiyan 3 get more representation in the future.
If it's a form that people don't care for, animators find difficult to draw or rather other SS forms easier to draw, the form itself also has many problems is it really "criminally underused" and does it really need more representation?

I personally didn't like when it was introduced in the Buu saga so I don't have a problem not seeing it more often.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat May 05, 2018 9:51 pm

I've always loved the form. If anything, Super makes me wish they used it a little more. I'm perfectly fine with SSJ2 though.

It would be interesting if Goku had done training to master the form so that it eliminated the ki drain, or maybe the fact he could utilize God ki had an effect similar to being dead. I mean, if he can overcome the crippling physical backlash from using Kaioken with Blue in a few years, I don't see it completely implausible to have a "Mastered SSJ3"

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:34 am

i really don't like long hair saiyans like ss3 or ss4 that's to much

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue May 08, 2018 5:23 am

Marlowe89 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: If it's a form that people don't care for, animators find difficult to draw or rather other SS forms easier to draw, the form itself also has many problems is it really "criminally underused" and does it really need more representation?

Well, it couldn't have been such a dud that Goku would have refused to use it during the few occasions it's shown in the anime, and secondly, it's questionable as to how severe the drawbacks actually are at this point in the story -- Goku didn't mention or indicate any major issue with it in BoG and the Super manga, and during the Tournament of Power, he used it when he was already low on stamina. Clearly it was never meant to be retired like the "grade" forms were.

I don't particularly care about how popular it is at the moment; that has no relevance to my point.
Except he then immediately dropped out of it in the ToP, transforming into the form has never been the issue at all, it has been sustaining it. The last serious fight Goku used SS3 was against Beerus, it seems clear to me it has been retired.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:50 am

No?
In DBS it rarely appeared, and in the manga whenever it appears he gets beat down

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:16 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Except he then immediately dropped out of it in the ToP
Because he was already tired and hadn't regained enough stamina to use it yet, as he mentioned himself and as I just pointed out in the post you quoted. Nobody's disputing that it consumes more energy than previous forms.

Goku didn't have any problem whatsoever sustaining it against Beerus or Trunks, and the Universe Survival arc made a point to show that it was Caulifla's goal right up until the final episode, so to claim that it has been retired because of stamina issues is obviously either false or greatly exaggerated.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:08 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Not really. It's pretty useless and I can't wait for Super Saiyan God or another new transformation like Ikari to be Caulifla's go-to form.
Red would look good on her, so would blue. Now that Goku and Vegeta have moved past SSGSS hopefully they're more open about giving it to other characters.
It still wouldnt make semse for Caulifla to have harnessed God ki already though. SSB is still the "main" form of Goku and Vegeta like they used in the final episode so I mean they have only loosely surpassed SSB. I think they should stick to SSJ2 For the U6 Saiyans. Although the idea od Cabba mastering SSJ2 while Caulifla uses SSJ3 is an interesting idea.

That said, I never really liked SSJ3. it looks ridiculous and never had that appeal to me

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 08, 2018 9:45 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Not really. It's pretty useless and I can't wait for Super Saiyan God or another new transformation like Ikari to be Caulifla's go-to form.
Red would look good on her, so would blue. Now that Goku and Vegeta have moved past SSGSS hopefully they're more open about giving it to other characters.
It still wouldnt make semse for Caulifla to have harnessed God ki already though. SSB is still the "main" form of Goku and Vegeta like they used in the final episode so I mean they have only loosely surpassed SSB. I think they should stick to SSJ2 For the U6 Saiyans. Although the idea od Cabba mastering SSJ2 while Caulifla uses SSJ3 is an interesting idea.

That said, I never really liked SSJ3. it looks ridiculous and never had that appeal to me
"Thanks to that up close look I got at god ki while fightin' ya so much I was able to learn this Red form, Old Man!" Boom, perfect excuse.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:49 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Red would look good on her, so would blue. Now that Goku and Vegeta have moved past SSGSS hopefully they're more open about giving it to other characters.

"Thanks to that up close look I got at god ki while fightin' ya so much I was able to learn this Red form, Old Man!" Boom, perfect excuse.
That'd be funny but it wouldn't make much sense lol. I understand she is a prodigy but she shouldn't be able to just learn god ki by seeing it. However, the main perk Goku and Vegeta had of using God Ki is that they "infused the power" so that their base was absurdly ridiculously strong compared to what it was before. But she is basically even with them without God ki so.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 08, 2018 11:02 pm

PFM18 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

That'd be funny but it wouldn't make much sense lol. I understand she is a prodigy but she shouldn't be able to just learn god ki by seeing it. However, the main perk Goku and Vegeta had of using God Ki is that they "infused the power" so that their base was absurdly ridiculously strong compared to what it was before. But she is basically even with them without God ki so.
Pretend that Saiyan bodies (or anyone with adeptness in ki) can instinctively react to the ki blasts and residual ki particles in the air from Gokuu and Vegeta using god ki so much. Being soaked in so much god ki could give her own body and ki the ability to be receptive to the feel and thus allow her to unlock it.

Truthfully, if I were in charge, I'd just have Gokuu and Vegeta have Super Saiyan God-level strength in their base forms and Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan as their only transformation until they master the Mastery of Selfishness. With Caulifla her Super Saiyan God were be her only transformation until she makes its power her base form power and then acquire Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Wed May 09, 2018 12:22 am

No because to me, despite how cool SSJ3 was, the point of the form was that Goku spent years in the afterlife training in all sorts of crazy ways with a body that was not of this world to achieve this mythical deity like form and it was not transferable to a real life setting. It was showing what optimal Goku would achieve. However, while dead he couldn't use it on Earth for any meaningful period of time and while alive he struggled to use it because of how much energy it ate up. Super just ran with that concept.