Each Universes' Kaioshin

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Analytic
Beyond Newbie

Each Universes' Kaioshin

Post by Analytic » Thu May 10, 2018 3:17 am

Not sure if this was explained before, but are the Kaioshins that show up at the Tournament of Power the Dai Kaioshin for each universe? Or did Toei simply forget each universe has more than one Kaioshin and that U7 only had one because the others were killed?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Each Universes' Kaioshin

Post by Grimlock » Thu May 10, 2018 9:25 am

The term "Dai Kaioshin" is not even mentioned in Dragon Ball Super at all, and it is not Toei to blame, it is Toriyama. Since none of the Kaioshins that appeared were referred to as Dai Kaioshin, there is no reason to call them like that. They're just Kaioshins without any specification.

It seems to be a retcon that each Universe has one Kaioshin these days, an extremely terrible and poorly executed retcon I must add. Probably due to laziness to come up with designs for more Kaioshins, but if that was the case, then it would be easy to solve this issue by just calling them Dai Kaioshins, we would know why only one Kaioshin appeared in the tournament, just their leaders were enough to be there.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu May 10, 2018 9:58 am

There's normally only one Kaioshin per universe. U7 had more because the fat Kaioshin was so benevolent he wanted to share his position with other people.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Thu May 10, 2018 10:49 am

Grimlock wrote:It seems to be a retcon that each Universe has one Kaioshin these days, an extremely terrible and poorly executed retcon I must add. Probably due to laziness to come up with designs for more Kaioshins
I really doubt it was laziness. Over 80 characters had to be designed for the ToP, I don't think they'd through out a few more designs just because they didn't feel like making them. Unless what Marco Polo said is true, I would assume it was just forgotten about by Toriyama, and possibly Toyotaro and the head honchos at Toei. I mean seriously, it's been over 20 years at this point since their existence was significant. Obviously you could make arguments about their significance with Majin Boo's design and behavior, but they aren't really at the forefront and it's not something you're really thinking about when talking about Boo in a modern context.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu May 10, 2018 7:51 pm

There’s one Kaiohshin for each universe. We don’t know what they’re doing to explain it but for now, there’s only one.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu May 10, 2018 10:10 pm

One_Instance wrote:I really doubt it was laziness. Over 80 characters had to be designed for the ToP,
A few more deities wouldn't be so painful though.
One_Instance wrote:Unless what Marco Polo said is true, I would assume it was just forgotten about by Toriyama, and possibly Toyotaro and the head honchos at Toei.
What he said isn't true, but if it is anything to go by, there is a special page drawn by Toyotaro showing Gowasu talking to Kaioshin of East and an image of Dai Kaioshin there.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~