after seeing Avenger infinity war i love the Black Goku arc even more

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lujin_16
Regular

after seeing Avenger infinity war i love the Black Goku arc even more

Post by Lujin_16 » Sat May 12, 2018 1:00 am

You think the same way???

there are some similarities that's for sure but in a different way

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: after seeing Avenger infinity war i love the Black Goku arc even more

Post by PFM18 » Sat May 12, 2018 1:58 pm

I have no clue how you made the connection. care to explain?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun May 13, 2018 12:03 am

If I had to take a guess at what the connection that you’re referring to is, I’m assuming it has to do with [spoiler]the fact that the ending of IW involved a bunch of people dying instantaneously, which is kind of similar to what happened to Future Trunk’s timeline near the end of his arc.[/spoiler] Am I correct in assuming this?

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun May 13, 2018 1:08 am

If this is about their respective endings, I disagree. Without spoiling Infinity Way, what made it's ending work is that the film actually built up to it and laid the groundwork, both plot-wise and thematically. Whereas Goku Black arc's ending came out of nowhere and was a slap to the face to anyone who had gotten invested because the arc had been building up to a different kind of ending, the one we got in episode 66.

That said, I will give Goku Black credit for actually sticking to the consequences, which is rare for Dragon Ball. I don't trust Marvel to do the same with infinity War because the MCU has had an annoying habit of glossing over growth and consequences, especially from phase two onwards.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun May 13, 2018 6:13 am

Whereas Goku Black arc's ending came out of nowhere and was a slap to the face to anyone who had gotten invested because the arc had been building up to a different kind of ending, the one we got in episode 66.
They foreshadowed such an ending when Goku Black was able to transcend time and space (like Infinite Zamasu did), but also when Fused Zamasu was born, stating 'My form is justice! My form is the world!' (hinting at Infinite Zamasu merging with the world and becoming the very concept of Justice). In addition, Gowasu stated that the fusion of Zamasu had endless power. I knew that it wouldn't be over in episode 66, it was clear. To have this ultimate fusion of Zamasu lose to fodder like Trunks after he was built up so much was impossible. Oh, and also, they put a lot of emphasis on the Omni-King Button, it was clear that they would have to use it in the end -- otherwise, why even introduce it in this arc?

Maybe you didn't enjoy this particular ending were Zamasu wasn't just roflestomped but actually fought back and even had the last laugh, but this ending did not come out of nowhere.

Still, episode 66 was such a beautiful episode! When the energy of Trunks, two exhausted base form Saiyans, 30 wounded civilians and 1 cat were enough to completely vanquish the supremely powerful God Fused Zamasu. Oh, I remember all too well.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun May 13, 2018 7:47 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Whereas Goku Black arc's ending came out of nowhere and was a slap to the face to anyone who had gotten invested because the arc had been building up to a different kind of ending, the one we got in episode 66.
They foreshadowed such an ending when Goku Black was able to transcend time and space (like Infinite Zamasu did), but also when Fused Zamasu was born, stating 'My form is justice! My form is the world!' (hinting at Infinite Zamasu merging with the world and becoming the very concept of Justice). In addition, Gowasu stated that the fusion of Zamasu had endless power. I knew that it wouldn't be over in episode 66, it was clear. To have this ultimate fusion of Zamasu lose to fodder like Trunks after he was built up so much was impossible. Oh, and also, they put a lot of emphasis on the Omni-King Button, it was clear that they would have to use it in the end -- otherwise, why even introduce it in this arc?

Maybe you didn't enjoy this particular ending were Zamasu wasn't just roflestomped but actually fought back and even had the last laugh, but this ending did not come out of nowhere.

Still, episode 66 was such a beautiful episode! When the energy of Trunks, two exhausted base form Saiyans, 30 wounded civilians and 1 cat were enough to completely vanquish the supremely powerful God Fused Zamasu. Oh, I remember all too well.
They foreshadowed it even before that, with Whis explaining to Goku and Vegeta that Zeno isn't someone you mess with. How he erased multiple universes at once just by being annoyed, and if Zeno was ever angered he'd erase everything that exists.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun May 13, 2018 8:18 am

Kataphrut wrote:If this is about their respective endings, I disagree. Without spoiling Infinity Way, what made it's ending work is that the film actually built up to it and laid the groundwork, both plot-wise and thematically. Whereas Goku Black arc's ending came out of nowhere and was a slap to the face to anyone who had gotten invested because the arc had been building up to a different kind of ending, the one we got in episode 66.

That said, I will give Goku Black credit for actually sticking to the consequences, which is rare for Dragon Ball. I don't trust Marvel to do the same with infinity War because the MCU has had an annoying habit of glossing over growth and consequences, especially from phase two onwards.
The ending didn't come out of nowhere. The Zeno button had been established as a plot device since #55 and Zeno's danger and moral ambiguity had also been hinted at in the same episode.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun May 13, 2018 12:58 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:

They foreshadowed it even before that, with Whis explaining to Goku and Vegeta that Zeno isn't someone you mess with. How he erased multiple universes at once just by being annoyed, and if Zeno was ever angered he'd erase everything that exists.
Indeed. I was referring specifically to Zamasu's spirit merging with the Universe. That was not an asspull. There was some kind of build-up to it, albeit subtle. I don't know about you, but after Fused Zamasu stated that his form embodied justice and the world itself, I knew that he wouldn't be defeated so easily.

Honestly, I am glad that the arc did not end at episode 66. To have the ultimate God lose to 30 worthless civilians and a bunch of exhausted Saiyans would have been quite underwhelming. In addition, that ending shows that our actions, even if driven by good intentions, can have dire consequences. Trunks' time travel shenanigans fueled the justice within Zamasu and convinced him to begin his Zero Mortals Plan, and in addition, if there were multiple Zamases, it was all because of Trunks messing with timelines. So, in the end, Trunks' desire to save his world from the Androids led to the very destruction of his timeline. The writers were going in this direction with that ending.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:23 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:

Indeed. I was referring specifically to Zamasu's spirit merging with the Universe. That was not an asspull. There was some kind of build-up to it, albeit subtle. I don't know about you, but after Fused Zamasu stated that his form embodied justice and the world itself, I knew that he wouldn't be defeated so easily.

Honestly, I am glad that the arc did not end at episode 66. To have the ultimate God lose to 30 worthless civilians and a bunch of exhausted Saiyans would have been quite underwhelming. In addition, that ending shows that our actions, even if driven by good intentions, can have dire consequences. Trunks' time travel shenanigans fueled the justice within Zamasu and convinced him to begin his Zero Mortals Plan, and in addition, if there were multiple Zamases, it was all because of Trunks messing with timelines. So, in the end, Trunks' desire to save his world from the Androids led to the very destruction of his timeline. The writers were going in this direction with that ending.
That I disagree with. Zamasu becoming the universe/multiple clones was stupid to me, but yes they definitely foreshadowed that Zamasu wasn't going to lose to anything less than Zeno

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon May 14, 2018 5:41 am

Doctor. wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:If this is about their respective endings, I disagree. Without spoiling Infinity Way, what made it's ending work is that the film actually built up to it and laid the groundwork, both plot-wise and thematically. Whereas Goku Black arc's ending came out of nowhere and was a slap to the face to anyone who had gotten invested because the arc had been building up to a different kind of ending, the one we got in episode 66.

The ending didn't come out of nowhere. The Zeno button had been established as a plot device since #55 and Zeno's danger and moral ambiguity had also been hinted at in the same episode.
I'm talking about Zamasu becoming the sky in 67. THAT came out of nowhere and you can't convince me otherwise. Yes, they;d set up the danger of Zeno, but the way they brought him in was a mistake.

Having the Zeno button to begin with was a bad idea because it was such an obvious literal "instant win" button that removed any sort of tension. The best way to pay off that tension would be to have Trunks kill Zamasu, and have Zeno destroy the timeline as a punishment for his transgressions. It wouldn't have been perfect, but it would have been a better way to handle the downer ending.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:19 am

For example Black Goku's entrance when he goes to the past with his ring reminds me so much of Thanos in the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzlWPC5BNZ0

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon May 14, 2018 2:12 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Kataphrut wrote: this is about their respective endings, I disagree. Without spoiling Infinity Way, what made it's ending work is that the film actually built up to it and laid the groundwork, both plot-wise and thematically. Whereas Goku Black arc's ending came out of nowhere and was a slap to the face to anyone who had gotten invested because the arc had been building up to a different kind of ending, the one we got in episode 66.

I'm talking about Zamasu becoming the sky in 67. THAT came out of nowhere and you can't convince me otherwise. Yes, they;d set up the danger of Zeno, but the way they brought him in was a mistake.

Having the Zeno button to begin with was a bad idea because it was such an obvious literal "instant win" button that removed any sort of tension. The best way to pay off that tension would be to have Trunks kill Zamasu, and have Zeno destroy the timeline as a punishment for his transgressions. It wouldn't have been perfect, but it would have been a better way to handle the downer ending.
But Zeno being an "instant win" is subverted in that ending. He's not an instant win because he just wipes everything out. He made things worse, even if he ultimately got rid of Zamasu.

Proof of this being a good subversion is how people, when the Black arc was airing, all thought Zeno would save the day and restore everything to normal up until #67 aired.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon May 14, 2018 3:51 pm

That I disagree with. Zamasu becoming the universe/multiple clones was stupid to me, but yes they definitely foreshadowed that Zamasu wasn't going to lose to anything less than Zeno
Yes, maybe it was an absurd concept. And the fact that episode 67 was visually atrocious, a major let-down after the stunning episode 66, did not help. However, Infinite Zamasu was not a complete asspull.
I'm talking about Zamasu becoming the sky in 67. THAT came out of nowhere and you can't convince me otherwise.
It didn't come out of nowhere. In the anime, Black was able to transcend time and space like Infinite Zamasu did, and in addition, Fused Zamasu himself stated that he had become justice itself and his form embodied the world. Also, Fused Zamasu destroyed himself after he was cleaved in half by Trunks (as Gowasu put it, he 'cast off his physical form as a God'). And since Fused Zamasu's soul was immortal -- because it was the immortal soul of Future Zamasu -- it didn't go to Hell after his body was destroyed, and instead latched onto the nearest object: the world.

In the manga, again, there was an explanation behind that endless army of Fused Zamases as it is explained that Future Zamasu's immortality had merged Black and Zamasu at a cellular level which resulted in a mutation/evolution of Fused Zamasu himself (so he gained the ability to clone himself -- an ability that Black kind of had in the anime too with his Scythe).

At least Infinite Zamasu had an actual explanation behind him, albeit poor. Super Saiyan Rage didn't have any and it was just a weak plot device to avoid Trunks getting stomped effortlessly by the objectively-superior Black and Zamasu.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Mon May 14, 2018 6:21 pm

After finishing Infinity War, and seeing how good Thanos was as a character, it made me want to go back and read my "The Infinity War" comics, only to remember Thanos wasn't nearly as well done in it lol

As for similarities, I wouldn't say there is any, besides both antagonists wanting to eliminate life for a better world, but unlike Zamasu, Thanos was a lot better done.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue May 15, 2018 1:53 am

Kataphrut wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

I agree with this, yes they foreshadowed Zeno with the button and that he's not as innocent as he seems, but that definitely did not foreshadow Zamasu literally becoming the fucking universe via Windows 95 screensaver (seriously what even, how did any of that make any sense? i'm going to have an aneurysm watching that again in the dub) and destroying Trunks' entire timeline and everyone in it.