Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Saturnine
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1470
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:45 am

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by Saturnine » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:49 pm

I was thinking of creating a comprehensive list of things that bother me about GT. It would be phrased in a very Cinema Sins-like manner, I'm sure :P

But yeah, I'd have to re-watch the series in Japanese from start to finish. That's a lot of time and effort. Might as well do it, spread it over a couple months or something. It's interesting how much stuff would people agree with me on, and how much to the contrary.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:27 pm

Saturnine wrote:I was thinking of creating a comprehensive list of things that bother me about GT. It would be phrased in a very Cinema Sins-like manner, I'm sure :P

But yeah, I'd have to re-watch the series in Japanese from start to finish. That's a lot of time and effort. Might as well do it, spread it over a couple months or something. It's interesting how much stuff would people agree with me on, and how much to the contrary.
Id definitely let you know how much of it I agree with and what not

User avatar
PsionicWarrior
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1557
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 2:33 pm

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:58 am

Bullza wrote: Not necessarily, you could say those who prefer the Japanese version are just nostalgic as well.
Yeah sure, I'm so nostalgic of the time I was Japanese born in Japan and watching the show in Japanese as a three yo lol
Seriously though, music is very subjective, I never found the Faulconer's track bad but I find Kikuchi's super epic and for me is inherent part of DB just like Nozawa #myopinion lol

User avatar
t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 2:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:19 pm

PFM18 wrote:
coola wrote:Yes, i prefer GT Goku to Super Goku as well, and i really disliked they brought Tien and Chiaotsu back to Super, there was no point what so ever (also, sorry to say, but Tien new VA sucks) personally, i view GT as Sonic 06, and Super as Sonic Boom, GT (like 06) had very interesting ideas, but some of tchem were poorly executed, still, you could see there was potential, Super (Boom) on the other hand, is just boring.
.....wait you think the ToP was "just boring"? It included atleast two of the best fights in the entire franchise.

GT, on the other hand, is an achievement to even eatch without falling asleep
You sound like a 9 year old.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3566
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:45 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
Bullza wrote: Not necessarily, you could say those who prefer the Japanese version are just nostalgic as well.
Yeah sure, I'm so nostalgic of the time I was Japanese born in Japan and watching the show in Japanese as a three yo lol
Seriously though, music is very subjective, I never found the Faulconer's track bad but I find Kikuchi's super epic and for me is inherent part of DB just like Nozawa #myopinion lol
This post is awesome.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by Bullza » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:This post is awesome.
Why? People outside of America would have only had that Japanese score anyway so why would you need to be Japanese to find it nostalgic? That doesn't make any sense.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:01 pm

t0ffe3m4n wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
coola wrote:Yes, i prefer GT Goku to Super Goku as well, and i really disliked they brought Tien and Chiaotsu back to Super, there was no point what so ever (also, sorry to say, but Tien new VA sucks) personally, i view GT as Sonic 06, and Super as Sonic Boom, GT (like 06) had very interesting ideas, but some of tchem were poorly executed, still, you could see there was potential, Super (Boom) on the other hand, is just boring.
.....wait you think the ToP was "just boring"? It included atleast two of the best fights in the entire franchise.

GT, on the other hand, is an achievement to even eatch without falling asleep
You sound like a 9 year old.
Wow well thanks for your wonderful contribution.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3566
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Bullza wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:This post is awesome.
Why? People outside of America would have only had that Japanese score anyway so why would you need to be Japanese to find it nostalgic? That doesn't make any sense.
Because you seem to think Americans who love the Japanese version are blinded by nostalgia. Your logic is really flawed.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by Bullza » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:31 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Because you seem to think Americans who love the Japanese version are blinded by nostalgia. Your logic is really flawed.
I never said anything about just Americans. Having nostalgia for the score they heard first works both ways.

User avatar
t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 2:50 pm
Location: UK

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:46 pm

PFM18 wrote:
t0ffe3m4n wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
.....wait you think the ToP was "just boring"? It included atleast two of the best fights in the entire franchise.

GT, on the other hand, is an achievement to even eatch without falling asleep
You sound like a 9 year old.
Wow well thanks for your wonderful contribution.
Could say the same to you. :shh:

User avatar
PsionicWarrior
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1557
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 2:33 pm

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:02 am

t0ffe3m4n wrote: Could say the same to you. :shh:
There's a difference, PFM18 commented on the show while you commented on him/her personally, and I'm unsure the latter is in line with the community's guidelines lol

User avatar
SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:54 am

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by SsjCookie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:48 am

They both had their good and bad moments, so no ...not for me.
I like Super more than I do GT because the side characters in Super get more action.
In GT many characters are forgotten it seems and that's what I disliked so much about the show.

It still depresses me to know what will become of some of my favourite characters in the future of GT.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:19 am

SsjCookie wrote:It still depresses me to know what will become of some of my favourite characters in the future of GT.
Piccolo ended up saving earth by giving up his life which is more than he did in Super.

Buu fused with Uub to help stop Baby while in Super he's just a gag revolved around sleeping.

Present day Trunks ended up going with Goku to space and Goten got to fight on his own multiple times which is a far cry form what Super did with them.

We had to wait till the very end of Super to see Gohan do something meaningful while in GT despite not accomplishing much he at least took part in the main events.

Android 18 helped Goku take down her brother while 17 became a main villain so I think both Super and GT gave them good screen time.

Vegeta was Baby's main body and got Ssj4 at the end but despite that Super wins this by a land slide as Vegeta got more than I could've ever hoped for.

Roshi was of course treated better in Super but the other humans were useless in both.

Future Trunks only showed up in Super so that wins by default.

Not every character was handled the way I think they could've been but I think GT's usage of them gets far more hate than it deserves.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:54 am

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by SsjCookie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:59 am

SsjCookie wrote:It still depresses me to know what will become of some of my favourite characters in the future of GT.
sintzu wrote:Piccolo ended up saving earth by giving up his life which is more than he did in Super.
True, but in Super he had more slice of life moments which I liked, in GT he had limited screen time.
sintzu wrote: Buu fused with Uub to help stop Baby while in Super he's just a gag revolved around sleeping.
Never cared much about Buu, so either his GT and Super version are fine by me.
sintzu wrote:Present day Trunks ended up going with Goku to space and Goten got to fight on his own multiple times which is a far cry form what Super did with them.
Here I wholeheartedly agree with you, even though I still dislike their GT versions (simply didn't like that Trunks became a bored businessman and Goten a womanizer)
sintzu wrote:We had to wait till the very end of Super to see Gohan do something meaningful while in GT despite not accomplishing much he at least took part in the main events.
Yeah he took part in the main events of GT and sucked!.....I would rather prefer not seeing him at all if it means he'll be spared as a character. At least in Super he had some decent fights.
sintzu wrote:Android 18 helped Goku take down her brother while 17 became a main villain so I think both Super and GT gave them good screen time.
Agreed.
sintzu wrote:Vegeta was Baby's main body and got Ssj4 at the end but despite that Super wins this by a land slide as Vegeta got more than I could've ever hoped for.
Definitely agreed.
sintzu wrote:Roshi was of course treated better in Super but the other humans were useless in both.
Yep.
sintzu wrote:Future Trunks only showed up in Super so that wins by default.
No competition here.
sintzu wrote:Not every character was handled the way I think they could've been but I think GT's usage of them gets far more hate than it deserves.
Never said I fully hated GT, just some aspects of it.
I still prefer Super though.
Last edited by SsjCookie on Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master Xar
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:49 am

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by Master Xar » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:00 am

sintzu wrote:
SsjCookie wrote:It still depresses me to know what will become of some of my favourite characters in the future of GT.
Piccolo ended up saving earth by giving up his life which is more than he did in Super.

Buu fused with Uub to help stop Baby while in Super he's just a gag revolved around sleeping.

Present day Trunks ended up going with Goku to space and Goten got to fight on his own multiple times which is a far cry form what Super did with them.

We had to wait till the very end of Super to see Gohan do something meaningful while in GT despite not accomplishing much he at least took part in the main events.

Android 18 helped Goku take down her brother while 17 became a main villain so I think both Super and GT gave them good screen time.

Vegeta was Baby's main body and got Ssj4 at the end but despite that Super wins this by a land slide as Vegeta got more than I could've ever hoped for.

Roshi was of course treated better in Super but the other humans were useless in both.

Future Trunks only showed up in Super so that wins by default.

Not every character was handled the way I think they could've been but I think GT's usage of them gets far more hate than it deserves.
You mean in a cheap death that ultimately was one of the few scenes he even showed up in up to that point? After getting owned by Gohan in one blast? Sure if you can call it that...

And Uub did nothing with Baby, he got turned into candy and eaten, he barely even made Baby break a sweat, and this is before he was even a Great Ape. And he did nothing after that. At least Buu in Super actually fought and beat someone in the Exhibition Matches.

Agreed, but honestly with their current power they have little to no place anyway.

By which you mean GT Gohan proceeds to get taken over by Baby, hurt Piccolo, and aided Baby’s takeover of Earth, as far as I’m concerned those are negative points... but I will agree Super Gohan only did something in the last arc.

Agree with everything else.


I mean maybe, but it overall has to do with the expectations built up, Uub was supposed to be a successor, he should have at least been strong enough to hold of Great Ape Baby after fusing with Buu, and actually able to do something with the other villains. Then there’s Pan, Goten, and Trunks, I was sure the last tournament built up to them being at least adequate at holding their own at least to me.

User avatar
SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:54 am

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by SsjCookie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:22 am

Master Xar wrote:I mean maybe, but it overall has to do with the expectations built up, Uub was supposed to be a successor, he should have at least been strong enough to hold of Great Ape Baby after fusing with Buu, and actually able to do something with the other villains. Then there’s Pan, Goten, and Trunks, I was sure the last tournament built up to them being at least adequate at holding their own at least to me.

False advertising at its best.

The next generation of fighters turns out to be a disappointment in the future.
(Thank god there's still Future Trunks, the only hybrid Saiyan who at least tries to do the right thing.)

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:26 am

SsjCookie wrote:I still prefer Super though.
You and me both. I've started re-watching GT in Japanese this time and even skipped the really bad episodes (6-15) and it's still a chore to get through. :yawn:
Master Xar wrote:You mean in a cheap death that ultimately was one of the few scenes he even showed up in up to that point ?

Uub did nothing with Baby, he got turned into candy and eaten, he barely even made Baby break a sweat, and this is before he was even a Great Ape. And he did nothing after that. At least Buu in Super actually fought and beat someone in the Exhibition Matches.

By which you mean GT Gohan proceeds to get taken over by Baby, hurt Piccolo, and aided Baby’s takeover of Earth, as far as I’m concerned those are negative points... but I will agree Super Gohan only did something in the last arc.

Uub was supposed to be a successor, he should have at least been strong enough to hold of Great Ape Baby after fusing with Buu, and actually able to do something with the other villains.
I'm not saying Piccolo was the best written character, just that he at least got one meaningful thing to do in GT.

Uub was pretty disappointing but it doesn't change the fact that Buu is a running gag in Super. I do agree that he was great in those matches and I wish we got more of that.

Gohan did nothing in both the Champa and Black arcs so although he was a push over in GT, he at least took part in the fights.

Completely agree. Super has a great chance to do something great with Uub once it (or another show) moves past EOZ so hopefully they don't waste it like GT did.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:54 am

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by SsjCookie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:20 am

sintzu wrote:You and me both. I've started re-watching GT in Japanese this time and even skipped the really bad episodes (6-15) and it's still a chore to get through. :yawn:


When some of the most popular main characters become a chore to watch, it proves that something went wrong along developing these characters.

Take Pan and Trunks for instance, what do we really know about them?
Trunks is the heir of Capsule corp and son of Vegeta and Pan is the granddaughter of Goku and Hercule, but other then that what were they doing with their lives before GT?
Trunks is already somewhere in his end twenties and has never done anything of significance in the time between Super and GT, same goes for Pan and Goten.

Suddenly they are thrown in the spotlight but they are like blank slates, not interesting to watch and without substance.
So I Understand why you find it such a chore to watch GT, even though the main characters are some of my favourites.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:49 am

SsjCookie wrote:When some of the most popular main characters become a chore to watch, it proves that something went wrong along developing these characters.
It's a shame it ended up the way it did as GT had the freedom to do whatever it wanted (being set after the manga) and really great ideas on paper but they unfortunately didn't have anyone on the team who could bring everything together in a satisfying way that lived up to the potential they had. DB is currently in a really good place thanks to Toriyama but I really hope it can avoid another GT once he's done.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
sunsetshimmer
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Location: Poland/Equestria

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:56 am

SsjCookie wrote: Take Pan and Trunks for instance, what do we really know about them?
Trunks is the heir of Capsule corp and son of Vegeta and Pan is the granddaughter of Goku and Hercule, but other then that what were they doing with their lives before GT?
Trunks is already somewhere in his end twenties and has never done anything of significance in the time between Super and GT, same goes for Pan and Goten.

Suddenly they are thrown in the spotlight but they are like blank slates, not interesting to watch and without substance.
What did we know about Gohan when he was thrown into spotlight in DBZ? What did he achieve between DB and DBZ?
What did we know about Bulma in DB? Or Goku? Thy were just thrown into spotlight and became main characters for no reason. Damn.
And what Gohan did in 7 years between Cell and Buu arcs?

Seriously?
That's an argument? So GT isn't allowed to do any time skips or introduce characters?
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Post Reply