Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by Cetra » Wed May 30, 2018 3:09 pm

PFM18 wrote: Yeah GT is a hard watch. quite the achievement to be able to finish it without falling asleep.
I'd rather marathon GT 10x in a row than rewatching some Super episodes once.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:38 pm

Cetra wrote:
PFM18 wrote: Yeah GT is a hard watch. quite the achievement to be able to finish it without falling asleep.
That is a little strange but "to each their own" as they say. Me personally, I think the search for the Black Star Dragon Balls is the worst/most boring arc in the franchise with the Super 17 arc following right behind.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:47 pm

Cetra wrote:
Same honestly.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 30, 2018 3:58 pm

PFM18 wrote:I think the search for the Black Star Dragon Balls is the worst/most boring arc in the franchise.
I tried to re-watch GT last year and those episodes killed it for me. When I try again I'm going to skip episodes 6-15 as those were the worst so hopefully that'll make getting through it possible.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed May 30, 2018 5:12 pm

GT will forever be looked down upon due to the curse of it trying to be Dragonball's successor. Then comes Super and it did a better job.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:09 pm

Miracles wrote:GT will forever be looked down upon due to the curse of it trying to be Dragonball's successor. Then comes Super and it did a better job.
Well said. I would give you a like if that was a thing on Kanzenshuu.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed May 30, 2018 9:22 pm

I'll be eagerly awaiting the "Has Super Dragon Ball Heroes impacted your opinion on Super or GT at all?" thread in the future.

Listening to Sumitomo's score for the Tournament of Power/Future Trunks Arc made me wanna go back to listen to Tokunaga's score for GT (I don't know how, or why) and listening to it again made me appreciate GT's music even more. It's so good. Not that Sumitomo's music is bad or anything...
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 31, 2018 5:00 am

sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:I think the search for the Black Star Dragon Balls is the worst/most boring arc in the franchise.
I tried to re-watch GT last year and those episodes killed it for me. When I try again I'm going to skip episodes 6-15 as those were the worst so hopefully that'll make getting through it possible.
For me the Evil/Super #17 arc is way worse to get through. Despite it being just 6 episodes, it's a slog to get through. The Black Star Dragon Balls arc has some genuinely great episodes in it. It's just lost in sea of mediocre and bad episodes. If you can get past episodes 6 to 12, you're in for a good stretch of material. And the story really kicks into high gear when Baby appears. That's when GT get really good.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 31, 2018 6:41 am

Lord Beerus wrote:The Black Star Dragon Balls arc has some genuinely great episodes in it. It's just lost in sea of mediocre and bad episodes. If you can get past episodes 6 to 12, you're in for a good stretch of material.

The story really kicks into high gear when Baby appears. That's when GT get really good.
Do you mean the Ledgic episodes ? if so, those were the 1st 5 episodes and I agree they weren't bad. The next 10 is when GT goes from being somewhat a mix of DB&Z to going full on copying DB which it completely failed at.

I think it gets better before when those metal characters show up in 16. I remember really liking GT when I first saw it without those 10 episodes so what I'm going to do is watch the 1st 5 then skip to 16 as there's a (somewhat) natural cut from 5 to 16.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Thu May 31, 2018 8:46 am

Still the same. Aka, boring to rewatch. GT just never clicked for me.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:24 am

I'm going through it at the moment, it's not a good show it doesn't really even compare to Super at all.

That said it's not so awful, it's not as bad as I quite remember it to be and that might be largely because I took people's advice here and watched the show with the Japanese music this time around.

The American soundtrack actually makes it even worse, the opposite of what the American soundtrack did for DBZ by making it better.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:53 am

Bullza wrote:
The American soundtrack actually makes it even worse, the opposite of what the American soundtrack did for DBZ by making it better.
But the American soundtrack made Z a far worse show...

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:36 am

JazzMazz wrote:But the American soundtrack made Z a far worse show...
Nah the original Kikuchi score was extremely repetitive and dull to listen to that ruined some of the most popular moments from the show. It also made the show sound like it was made in the 70's or something.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:16 am

Bullza wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:But the American soundtrack made Z a far worse show...
Nah the original Kikuchi score was extremely repetitive and dull to listen to that ruined some of the most popular moments from the show. It also made the show sound like it was made in the 70's or something.
But aren't those same criticisms also applicable to Faulconer's tracks, but you know, worse?

The thing about Kikuchi's score, besides being better, was that it actually played better into the style and genre of the series, as opposed to the horrible droning Faulconer synth, which was more often than not horribly generic in comparison to its Kikuchi counter-part.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:27 am

[quote="JazzMazz"]Not really, the Faulconer soundtrack made it seem like a 90's show which is what it was, it didn't make it sound a couple decades older than it actually is.

It was never dull or ruined any of the moments from the series either like the Kikuchi score did except maybe that time when Gohan went Super Saiyan 2. Some of the most popular moments in the series with fans is because of that Faulconer music like Goku going Super Saiyan 3 for the first time which was just dreary in the Japanese version.

It's main problem was just that the music never let up.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:14 am

Bullza wrote:Not really, the Faulconer soundtrack made it seem like a 90's show which is what it was, it didn't make it sound a couple decades older than it actually is.

It was never dull or ruined any of the moments from the series either like the Kikuchi score did except maybe that time when Gohan went Super Saiyan 2. Some of the most popular moments in the series with fans is because of that Faulconer music like Goku going Super Saiyan 3 for the first time which was just dreary in the Japanese version.

It's main problem was just that the music never let up.
I wouldn't say Kikuchi's tracks are overtly dated in comparison to Faulconer's, because unlike Faulconer's track, they are specifically appealing to a specific genre and feel in the tracks.

While the Faulconer track dated it to the 90's, Kikuchi tied the show back to its base genre through his OST.

As for the scenes you mentioned, more often than not, the positive reception around those tracks usually come from nostalgia. For example, with the SS3 scene, the Faulconer theme is unbelievably generic, and doesn't hold a candle to the tracks used in the Japanese version. In hindsight, the Faulconer track really didn't do anything to improve that scene at all.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:15 pm

Bullza wrote:Nah the original Kikuchi score was extremely repetitive and dull to listen to that ruined some of the most popular moments from the show. It also made the show sound like it was made in the 70's or something.
Can you elaborate how exactly Kikuchi's score sounds like 70's music (also 70's from what? 70's jpn music or 70's american music)?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:54 pm

JazzMazz wrote:As for the scenes you mentioned, more often than not, the positive reception around those tracks usually come from nostalgia. For example, with the SS3 scene, the Faulconer theme is unbelievably generic, and doesn't hold a candle to the tracks used in the Japanese version. In hindsight, the Faulconer track really didn't do anything to improve that scene at all.
Not necessarily, you could say those who prefer the Japanese version are just nostalgic as well. A lot of fans these days would probably experience the Japanese soundtrack first as well because watching the show from Episode 1 that's all there was. The Faulconer score didn't even start until episode 60 something.

That particular scene in the Japanese version is incredibly dull and just depressing to even listen to like many scenes in the show.

Another example if when Gohan pulled out the Z Sword. The Japanese music was absolutely horrendous during that scene but was actually very good with the Faulconer score.
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Can you elaborate how exactly Kikuchi's score sounds like 70's music (also 70's from what? 70's jpn music or 70's american music)?
You know that really naff music you'd hear in these terrible 70's martial arts movies? The Kikuchi score sounds like that. DBZ kept going until 1995 and yet it sounds so much older because of the dated soundtrack.

Not a problem Dragon Ball Super has, that has a pretty fitting score. It's actually more like the Faulconer score than the Kikuchi score. Same with the last couple movies too.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:30 pm

I will take your word, yes, fans of the Japanese version CAN be driven by Nostalgia. But this doesnt mean Faulconer is objectively better or that the fans of the Japanese music are deluded.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:45 pm

"Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?"

Not really. But sometimes I compare DBS and GT in some ways, like animation (episode 5 and Goku VS Frieza X the final fight with Omega).