POLL IN OP: Which do you prefer, Ultra Instinct Omen or Mastered Ultra Instinct?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

POLL IN OP: Which do you prefer, Ultra Instinct Omen or Mastered Ultra Instinct?

Post by Asura » Thu May 17, 2018 3:21 am

https://www.strawpoll.me/15714250

Kind of curious to know people's thoughts on this as well as I'm just interested what a lot of people think on the whole on this topic.
Personally, I prefer Ultra Instinct -Omen-. I really like Goku in just his blue shirt, I think it's the best look on him. The wild black hair with silver highlights looked really cool, and for a long while this is what Ultra Instinct looked like. But then in the very last second to last episode of the show, Ultra Instinct -Omen- turns into Mastered Ultra Instinct, which I think looks bad, and only lasts for one episode. The color combination of white and orange just doesn't sit well for me, and the hair honestly just looks like someone took chrome spraypaint and sprayed it all over Goku's hair. The preview of Goku with his shirt off in UI Omen that we had for a long while looked a lot better too. I'm just overall disappointed in it.

So I also wonder if when people think of Ultra Instinct now they immediately think of Omen or MUI? What do you picture Ultra Instinct in your head when you hear the word?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: POLL IN OP: Which do you prefer, Ultra Instinct Omen or Mastered Ultra Instinct?

Post by mute_proxy » Thu May 17, 2018 3:25 am

Didn't like it at first, but after some time, Mastered Ultra Instinct. It just takes getting used to with every form really :)

Simere
Advanced Regular

Re: POLL IN OP: Which do you prefer, Ultra Instinct Omen or Mastered Ultra Instinct?

Post by Simere » Thu May 17, 2018 3:46 am

I liked black more by far but, unlike several people around here, I don't want to pine constantly for things that will never be. So, after engaging in extensive hypnotherapy, white is clearly better. Omen even looks kind of ugly now.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu May 17, 2018 3:53 am

Simere wrote:I liked black more by far but, unlike several people around here, I don't want to pine constantly for things that will never be. So, after engaging in extensive hypnotherapy, white is clearly better. Omen even looks kind of ugly now.
That must be one hell of a hypnotherapy spell to do a complete 180 like that.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Thu May 17, 2018 9:11 am

Omen looks better.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 17, 2018 9:56 am

Mastered obviously! Been holding out for it ever since we got the "Omen" reveal back in August I believe. It's also why I never allowed myself to fall in love with "Omen" too much but after the special for a few months I did deep down except "Omen" may actually be the final version until I decided to put my Sherlock Holmes cap on and decide to piece some suspicious clues then it became obvious UI would be silver then I got excited again before finally getting my wish!

Silver just looks so much more striking.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Thu May 17, 2018 10:32 am

Omen was maybe my favourite transformation since the original ssj. I love how it managed to look so cool and mystical and yet basically just like plain old Goku, it walked a very fine line. TOEI did a really great job. It looked like achieving a state of mind rather than a "form".

Mastered UI is just...is so special FX driven I feel. It's just goku with white hair absolutely covered in CGI aura effects. It's still cool but, eh. I loved the direction of Omen being a real understated design.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 17, 2018 10:52 am

I like both form. But Omen edges it out primarily because it just seemed more aesthetically unique despite being so minimal in actual design.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu May 17, 2018 12:05 pm

When MUI was first unveiled, I remember being annoyed by the fact that we were getting yet another new hair color change for Goku, but I will admit that the transformation has grown on me overtime. Still, I’d probably say that I slightly prefer Omen, but maybe that’ll change if we ever see MUI again.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu May 17, 2018 6:03 pm

I always figured Omen was just a placeholder and guessed back when it was unveiled that it would be silver or white.
I was right of course, but I have to say that Omen looks better to me, but Completed was done well in the anime with all those highlights and the shading and the aura.
I just like the idea of the ultimate form being only a slight change in appearance to show complete mastery instead of getting more flashy forms like what Ultimate Gohan originally was to me.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu May 17, 2018 8:38 pm

Omen, by far. His silver highlights and wild hair show a difference in appearence but not much, which is how I want Ultra Instinct to be. It's a technique, not a transformation and I don't like it being shown as that, it should only change a bit like the Kaioken only giving Goku a red aura.

That and the silver hair just looks terrible with his orange clothes.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu May 17, 2018 11:35 pm

Ultra Instinct. Ultra Instinct-Sign- is nothing really special

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri May 18, 2018 7:31 am

I feel like Mastered should have been saved for a future story. It's too much to have Goku go through Omen and Mastered in the space of (ugh) roughly 30 in-story minutes. The debut of Omen was so strong, and I remember one of the many things I loved about it at the time was that it felt like unlocking a whole new path of development. There could have been a lot of mileage out of future story arcs of Goku training with Whis to master Ultra Instinct, but instead he gets it on the third try. Sure, it would have been hard to justify Goku beating Jiren with just the Omen version, but considering Jiren was ultimately defeated by the power of Goku/Freeza nakama, they could have made it work if they wanted.

Plus black hair in Omen had a nice back-to-basics appeal similar to Ultimate Gohan, whereas Mastered's silver hair makes it feel like just another Super Saiyan recolour form. Also the fact that Mastered UI Goku was talking and fighting like a Super Saiyan, whereas Omen's scenes showcased more of the unique fighting style that made the concept so popular.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Fri May 18, 2018 7:39 am

Ultra Instinct Omen simply because of the hair design.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

STH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by STH » Fri May 18, 2018 10:50 am

I prefer this;
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Melkaniator wrote: "DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant."

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Fri May 18, 2018 11:40 am

Obviously Mastered UI. Omen UI is basically fake ssj from Lord slug movie.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri May 18, 2018 1:09 pm

UI Omen no contest.

Both has that annoying issue with Goku looking and fighting like a cocky idiot.
But UI Omen at least looked quite decent.

Mastered Ultra Instinct is the worst looking form in DB imo.
Even Blue looks better than it honestly.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri May 18, 2018 1:30 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
What? That's the best part
Get Fucked, C_unt

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri May 18, 2018 1:36 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:
What? That's the best part
Not for me. I never saw Goku being as annoying as when he goes Ultra Instinct. This forced "badass look" is just stupid imo.
He looks like a puppet or zombie with no emotions at all.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri May 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Visually I prefer Omen because the white hair of MUI got too much shades and stuff, but I would have loved it if MUI was that light from 130's ending. Not necessarily the whole body covered in light, just the hair being pure light would have done it for me