What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
ZombieVito
I Live Here
Posts: 4490
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:48 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Kale in manga is actually a character, not Broly with lipstick. Even though i still don't like her transformed state, she's not Broly with lipstick.
She doesn't behave, move and look like Broly at all. No stupid "Son Gokuu!!!!" screaming. Pure rage towards everyone including her allies.
You... Didn't watch episodes 113 and 114 did you?

Kale is anything but Broly in the anime. In the manga she is completely Broly with lipstick.

User avatar
supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 415
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:10 am

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:58 pm

ZombieVito wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote: Kale in manga is actually a character, not Broly with lipstick. Even though i still don't like her transformed state, she's not Broly with lipstick.
She doesn't behave, move and look like Broly at all. No stupid "Son Gokuu!!!!" screaming. Pure rage towards everyone including her allies.
You... Didn't watch episodes 113 and 114 did you?

Kale is anything but Broly in the anime. In the manga she is completely Broly with lipstick.
To call Kale a "character" in the anime is just downright offensive.

User avatar
sunsetshimmer
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Location: Poland/Equestria

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:03 pm

ZombieVito wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote: Kale in manga is actually a character, not Broly with lipstick. Even though i still don't like her transformed state, she's not Broly with lipstick.
She doesn't behave, move and look like Broly at all. No stupid "Son Gokuu!!!!" screaming. Pure rage towards everyone including her allies.
You... Didn't watch episodes 113 and 114 did you?

Kale is anything but Broly in the anime. In the manga she is completely Broly with lipstick.
Then why did her anime version:
-Look exactly like Broly
-Was screaming "Son Goku!!" like Broly
-Had techniques like Broly
-Moved like Broly
-Said lines almost identical to Broly?

Her latter change doesn't help her much.
Her manga version doesn't resemble Broly at all.

Image
Image
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

User avatar
Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 968
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 am

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by Bergamo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:18 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
ZombieVito wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote: Kale in manga is actually a character, not Broly with lipstick. Even though i still don't like her transformed state, she's not Broly with lipstick.
She doesn't behave, move and look like Broly at all. No stupid "Son Gokuu!!!!" screaming. Pure rage towards everyone including her allies.
You... Didn't watch episodes 113 and 114 did you?

Kale is anything but Broly in the anime. In the manga she is completely Broly with lipstick.
To call Kale a "character" in the anime is just downright offensive.
I know. Kale's "character arc," involved her going from, "HELP ME, CAULIFLA," to, "RAAARGH, DON'T TALK TO CAULIFLA," to, "Let me help you in battle, Caulifla." She really is a character that isn't at all reliant on Caulifla for any sort of substance.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

User avatar
ZombieVito
I Live Here
Posts: 4490
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:21 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Then why did her anime version:
-Look exactly like Broly
-Was screaming "Son Goku!!" like Broly
-Had techniques like Broly
-Moved like Broly
-Said lines almost identical to Broly?

Her latter change doesn't help her much.
Her manga version doesn't resemble Broly at all.

Image
Image
Her latter forms are nothing like Broly...

User avatar
DestructoDisc
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by DestructoDisc » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:41 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Fight against Anilaza in anime was a joke

Manga is faster, irrelevant universes are getting erased quickly. How could it be worse than anime?
Ribrianne is gone. There is no stupid giant Ribrianne thing. Even though i like her anime filler Brianne design, design alone can't save everything that happened when she transformed. I prefer how manga handled her, even if her pretty form didn't appear.
How was the Anilaza fight in the anime a joke? He was a serious threat and Universe 7 had a hard time dealing with him.

I thought you would like Giant Ribrianne considering that the final fight between her and 18 was a little similar to Super 17's defeat or is it just me who thinks that? Main antagonist receives a lot of energy from someone (Super 17 from 18, Ribrianne from her own universe), gets Dragon Fisted, and then destroyed.

User avatar
sunsetshimmer
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Location: Poland/Equestria

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:56 pm

DestructoDisc wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:
Fight against Anilaza in anime was a joke

Manga is faster, irrelevant universes are getting erased quickly. How could it be worse than anime?
Ribrianne is gone. There is no stupid giant Ribrianne thing. Even though i like her anime filler Brianne design, design alone can't save everything that happened when she transformed. I prefer how manga handled her, even if her pretty form didn't appear.
How was the Anilaza fight in the anime a joke? He was a serious threat and Universe 7 had a hard time dealing with him.

I thought you would like Giant Ribrianne considering that the final fight between her and 18 was a little similar to Super 17's defeat or is it just me who thinks that? Main antagonist receives a lot of energy from someone (Super 17 from 18, Ribrianne from her own universe), gets Dragon Fisted, and then destroyed.
Anilaza being such threat was why it was a joke, especially when he could actually be easily beaten with accurate attack.
That thing needed more Z-fighters than Jiren to be knocked off at the very end despite Jiren being way above him which was even shown.
And Jiren was the main boss of this arc.
I agree that Anilaza as a fusion and last resort of its universe could last a bit longer, but 5 fighters from U7 against him was way too much. It's good Kale could take it by herself, she just could fight a while instead of beating it with single kick.

Way of defeat is one thing, but there is huge quality gap between giant donut Ribrianne and Super 17. And the latter one was a serious villain, not gag character.
Ribrianne was there for way too long and those forms were completely unnecesary and simply bad.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

User avatar
SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1642
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:55 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu/East District

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:00 pm

I'm satisfied with it, because the expectations for this arc shouldn't be so high for people. It has no story whatsoever and the plot has been the most straightforward (I have ever seen) in dragonball. It was just an extremely long, drawn out Tournament, started for the sake of it, and its bloated with generic gag characters or extras that really never had anything to offer or they would have been marketed to be. We know the only important aspect of it is just Jiren, UI, U6, and U7. Thats all I read it for. Everything else was just boring, like the anime' depiction of all the other characters I couldn't wait to get past, because it seemed senseless to want a fight dragged out while the characters were acting dumb within them. Most characters you expected to be one-shot, were in the manga and weren't in the anime. There is also no camping unlike the anime.

Like the infamous sniper episode. What the problem is, though is maybe not giving the focused characters enough development within their fodder fights to strengthen their own resolve or struggle in it. Similar enough to the movies where, the focused protagonists shown off fighting the fodder rather than the fights being just 2 seconds long in the manga, but hey to criticize the manga for going too fast in an arc with no plot to begin with, doesn't make sense to me. I am satisfied with what was given.
I think people honestly are angry for things in the manga, they compare to the anime that the anime itself messed up with as their basis to judge the manga. If the anime's pacing was extremely slow, how can we judge to say the manga is going too fast? The only thing I am disappointed in, is that the manga doesn't really give enough time for the characters to monologue about how they feel about or within a fight, as opposed to using a lot of stock dialogue.
.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

User avatar
CJStriker_CBR
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:53 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
DestructoDisc wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:
Fight against Anilaza in anime was a joke

Manga is faster, irrelevant universes are getting erased quickly. How could it be worse than anime?
Ribrianne is gone. There is no stupid giant Ribrianne thing. Even though i like her anime filler Brianne design, design alone can't save everything that happened when she transformed. I prefer how manga handled her, even if her pretty form didn't appear.
How was the Anilaza fight in the anime a joke? He was a serious threat and Universe 7 had a hard time dealing with him.

I thought you would like Giant Ribrianne considering that the final fight between her and 18 was a little similar to Super 17's defeat or is it just me who thinks that? Main antagonist receives a lot of energy from someone (Super 17 from 18, Ribrianne from her own universe), gets Dragon Fisted, and then destroyed.
Anilaza being such threat was why it was a joke, especially when he could actually be easily beaten with accurate attack.
That thing needed more Z-fighters than Jiren to be knocked off at the very end despite Jiren being way above him which was even shown.
And Jiren was the main boss of this arc.
I agree that Anilaza as a fusion and last resort of its universe could last a bit longer, but 5 fighters from U7 against him was way too much. It's good Kale could take it by herself, she just could fight a while instead of beating it with single kick.

Way of defeat is one thing, but there is huge quality gap between giant donut Ribrianne and Super 17. And the latter one was a serious villain, not gag character.
Ribrianne was there for way too long and those forms were completely unnecesary and simply bad.
That is what Made the Manga in the end Far and sadly besides one ore two interesting features I mentioned in previous post, that the Manga made itself FAR More inferior to its anime counterpart by not having major key moments of both action and development of characters like Ribrianne that the Anime gave.

While the anime indeed has a host of problems, each point with Ribrianne's character felt useful to those DB Fans like me and others that Truly Liked her character. It was documents pretty decently written in getting to know both her character, universe and power set better, each moment to from Brianne, to Ribrianne, to Super, to Giant Form to the lessons Brianne learned felt like a progressing story developing her character into a much more rounded character the wanted to better herself with the ToP experiences. While potential was wasted in the Anime that it could better have given Ribrianne, other doors opened when the story took those turns for her and U2 that lead to more surprising and interesting developments and a closing to their Universe in 118 that was truly epic and heartwarming.

Yea for each fan such moments can be a waste of time, but that is cause they are not ones favorite or focused character, I was not to interesting in much of the UI Goku Stuff so it just did not connect with me at the time of its debut. It has grown on me alittle since, but really it comes down to each has their own interests.

Indeed that is fine Ribrianne did not hit with all fans but for others most moments are Treasures to Us we would not want taken away, in the End I wanted More Ribrianne, U2 and for them to go further, but treasure what I got and I know others did too, that made the Anime so much more special IMO. :)

What the Anime did better was it gave as much time to shine as it could, not all indeed, but to a nice enough group of characters to have moments to shine and it left impressions on different fans to made them fans of those characters. So that is what the Anime did far better IMO then the Manga ever did espically with this last chapter, it as a domino effect of just waste after waste of established character not used at all to full effect like the anime did.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by Bullza » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:23 am

It's alright, it lacks the intensity and spectacle.

It's also very rushed. Most fighters, probably the majority of fighters have literally done nothing.

With the anime, it did at least focus on almost everyone to some extent. Pirina and Saonel had good fight with Gohan and Piccolo. The three from Universe 2 at the end had their moment with the black hole on Goku. Master Roshi had a decent fight with a few of them. You had an episode where Prum and Hermila were a focus with them acting like a sniper and so on. The Universe 3 robots had a couple episodes with Aniraza too.

Nothing like that in the manga, they just get knocked off without doing anything, two or three in one go.

Krillin and Tien did nothing at all. People complained about that for the anime but they didn't even throw a punch in the manga.

It focuses the main ones really, the ones from Universe 7 and the few key fighters from Universe 7 and 11 and that's it. Everyone else is just there for the sake of it,

Ultra Instinct was done very well in the anime because when he unlocked it it wasn't the true version, so then he lost it and then he got it back and got a hang of it more and then again until he'd mastered it. I bet in the manga he'll just start out with that.

So yeah the manga is a bare bones version.

User avatar
omaro34
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1805
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:27 pm
Location: Western Canada

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by omaro34 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:17 pm

Bergamo wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
sintzu wrote:The manga so far is more consistant, doesn't waste time on characters like Rebrianne, doesn't force Goku into everything and has far better pacing than the anime did.
You still think so after this garbage chapter that just came out? They literally just wasted a plethora of characters for no good reason other than Kale can't control herself by taking out her own teammates like Magetta and the U6 Namekians but somehow she has the frame of mind to not kill her opponents.

Jeeze just God awful story telling.
He didn't waste a plethora of characters. He wasted at max 5. The other 18 or so had little potential to be interesting.
He completely wasted the Namekians and Magetta. After seeing the anime version of how the U6 Namekians did I was curious as to what backstory Toyotaro would give them and how they would fight. But no he didn't even bother and they get wrecked by their own teammate smh.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

User avatar
Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 968
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 am

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by Bergamo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:28 pm

omaro34 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
omaro34 wrote: You still think so after this garbage chapter that just came out? They literally just wasted a plethora of characters for no good reason other than Kale can't control herself by taking out her own teammates like Magetta and the U6 Namekians but somehow she has the frame of mind to not kill her opponents.

Jeeze just God awful story telling.
He didn't waste a plethora of characters. He wasted at max 5. The other 18 or so had little potential to be interesting.
He completely wasted the Namekians and Magetta. After seeing the anime version of how the U6 Namekians did I was curious as to what backstory Toyotaro would give them and how they would fight. But no he didn't even bother and they get wrecked by their own teammate smh.
Showing Magetta get beat by brute force was interesting, and it shows how strong he is outside of his one weakness. I concede with the namekians. You've got 2, and I said he wasted at max 5, so I don't see an issue.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

User avatar
R. Daneel Olivaw
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by R. Daneel Olivaw » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:54 pm

Bergamo wrote: Showing Magetta get beat by brute force was interesting, and it shows how strong he is outside of his one weakness. I concede with the namekians. You've got 2, and I said he wasted at max 5, so I don't see an issue.
I would say Jimeze was wasted. Not just because "Oh, he's a Yardrat so he has to get attention" but because Instant Transmission should make it a little harder for him to get eliminated. Hit was wasted to show how strong Jiren is. I'll say Krillin and Tien could have gotten a little more fighting, but eliminating them right away to develop tension was decent.
sunsetshimmer wrote:Anilaza being such threat was why it was a joke, especially when he could actually be easily beaten with accurate attack.
I disagree. Aniraza was a 4-way fusion between three powerful robots and the doctor controlling them. He was the ultimate weapon, the last resort of a Universe with very impressive combat technology. Jiren was probably drained of power when Goku and Freeza eliminated him. I mean, so were Goku and Freeza, but they took themselves out with him.
Maybe five fighters is too many, but it's better than being one-shot by Kale. Personally I don't even think Kale should be able to defeat Aniraza, at least not without great difficulty.

This is how I think the ideal way to portray Kale would be: Not have her at all, because Broly was never created in the ideal world. But, all jokes aside, her having a shy and timid personality is kind of cliche but I like it, it contrasts with her legendary form. Maybe she could have been portrayed as gentle and not liking that from because she doesn't want to kill anyone, and not just because it would get her disqualified. Instead of Goku pissing her off by, uh, talking to Caulifla, when Napapa was beating the crap out of Caulifla was the ideal moment to make her transform. She could have gradually developed more control over the form, first learning to recognize allies and eventually somewhat controlling her murderous rage. I think it would be interesting if she was eventually able to control her rage but still be a hulking idiot when in the form.

User avatar
Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 968
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 am

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by Bergamo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:06 pm

R. Daneel Olivaw wrote:
Bergamo wrote: Showing Magetta get beat by brute force was interesting, and it shows how strong he is outside of his one weakness. I concede with the namekians. You've got 2, and I said he wasted at max 5, so I don't see an issue.
I would say Jimeze was wasted. Not just because "Oh, he's a Yardrat so he has to get attention" but because Instant Transmission should make it a little harder for him to get eliminated. Hit was wasted to show how strong Jiren is. I'll say Krillin and Tien could have gotten a little more fighting, but eliminating them right away to develop tension was decent.
sunsetshimmer wrote:Anilaza being such threat was why it was a joke, especially when he could actually be easily beaten with accurate attack.
I disagree. Aniraza was a 4-way fusion between three powerful robots and the doctor controlling them. He was the ultimate weapon, the last resort of a Universe with very impressive combat technology. Jiren was probably drained of power when Goku and Freeza eliminated him. I mean, so were Goku and Freeza, but they took themselves out with him.
Maybe five fighters is too many, but it's better than being one-shot by Kale. Personally I don't even think Kale should be able to defeat Aniraza, at least not without great difficulty.

This is how I think the ideal way to portray Kale would be: Not have her at all, because Broly was never created in the ideal world. But, all jokes aside, her having a shy and timid personality is kind of cliche but I like it, it contrasts with her legendary form. Maybe she could have been portrayed as gentle and not liking that from because she doesn't want to kill anyone, and not just because it would get her disqualified. Instead of Goku pissing her off by, uh, talking to Caulifla, when Napapa was beating the crap out of Caulifla was the ideal moment to make her transform. She could have gradually developed more control over the form, first learning to recognize allies and eventually somewhat controlling her murderous rage. I think it would be interesting if she was eventually able to control her rage but still be a hulking idiot when in the form.
I think Jimeze being a yardrat was anime filler. The yardrats in dragon ball online looked completely different. He was wearing Yardrat clothing, and alien lore and anime filler is a complex issue, so the short answer is that he may be a Yardrat or he may not be.

Yardrat aside, I meant wasted in this specific chapter. There were 23 people eliminated, but only around 5 of those fighters mattered, so it's not like Toyo wasted nearly 30% of the fighters, because this was a completely reasonable way for most of them to go out.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

User avatar
R. Daneel Olivaw
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by R. Daneel Olivaw » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:12 pm

Bergamo wrote: I think Jimeze being a yardrat was anime filler. The yardrats in dragon ball online looked completely different. He was wearing Yardrat clothing, and alien lore and anime filler is a complex issue, so the short answer is that he may be a Yardrat or he may not be.
Yardrat aside, I meant wastes in this specific chapter. There were 23 people eliminated, but only around 5 of those fighters mattered, so it's not like Toyo wasted nearly 30% of the fighters, because this was a completely reasonable way for most of them to go out.
Looking back at the manga, the earlier TOP chapters weren't that bad. Hit being eliminated easily by Jiren this early is a cheap way of showing how strong Jiren is, but I guess it's not that bad. I think the manga got much worse as it went on, though. The first few chapters did feel more like a battle royale in some parts than the anime, which is good.

User avatar
sunsetshimmer
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Location: Poland/Equestria

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:22 pm

R. Daneel Olivaw wrote: I disagree. Aniraza was a 4-way fusion between three powerful robots and the doctor controlling them. He was the ultimate weapon, the last resort of a Universe with very impressive combat technology. Jiren was probably drained of power when Goku and Freeza eliminated him. I mean, so were Goku and Freeza, but they took themselves out with him.
Maybe five fighters is too many, but it's better than being one-shot by Kale. Personally I don't even think Kale should be able to defeat Aniraza, at least not without great difficulty.

This is how I think the ideal way to portray Kale would be: Not have her at all, because Broly was never created in the ideal world. But, all jokes aside, her having a shy and timid personality is kind of cliche but I like it, it contrasts with her legendary form. Maybe she could have been portrayed as gentle and not liking that from because she doesn't want to kill anyone, and not just because it would get her disqualified. Instead of Goku pissing her off by, uh, talking to Caulifla, when Napapa was beating the crap out of Caulifla was the ideal moment to make her transform. She could have gradually developed more control over the form, first learning to recognize allies and eventually somewhat controlling her murderous rage. I think it would be interesting if she was eventually able to control her rage but still be a hulking idiot when in the form.
Well manga seem to have different power scaling so it's hard to tell if Kale should beat Anilaza. Manga never said that those robots were any threat and perhaps even Toriyama didn't say anything about their power. Fused Zamasu was meant to be weaker than Goku and Vegeta even without fusion, but he was portrayed as someone much stronger than he really is only to let Vegito appear and even ending clearly shows that Vegito was unnecesary fanservice addon. And such 4-way fusion being defeated so quickly is actually more original and less generic solution. It also shows how strong Kale is. Giant characters also mostly mean great power but here Kale had no trouble beating that. It's also a lot more original.

Kale in anime was annoying as hell because of her failed portrayal. She was a sneaky pushover jealous of Caulifla for no reason. In manga, she just didn't want to show her power being superior to Caulifla because she respected her more than anything else. Caulifla in manga had no idea how strong Kale can be which was interesting.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:05 pm

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by Dbzk1999 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:40 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Kale in anime was annoying as hell because of her failed portrayal. She was a sneaky pushover jealous of Caulifla for no reason. In manga, she just didn't want to show her power being superior to Caulifla because she respected her more than anything else. Caulifla in manga had no idea how strong Kale can be which was interesting.
A) I know that you said that you skipped most of the arc in the anime, but she was never jealous of caulifla. Her anime portrayal is simply her wanting to “earn” the respect that Caulifla gives her and prove to herself that she’s more than she thinks she is.

B) honestly, the bolded seems more like a repeat of how trunks reacted when he believed he “surpassed” his father in the Android arc. But, that’s just me
Until the Battle is Won.

- WEST POINT, 2021

User avatar
prince212
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 791
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: wild west

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by prince212 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:31 pm

Dbzk1999 wrote:she was never jealous of caulifla. Her anime portrayal is simply her wanting to “earn” the respect that Caulifla gives her and prove to herself that she’s more than she thinks she is.
I understood kale was jealous of goku in the anime , Caulifla wasn’t paying attention to her .. and that’s how she became berserk.
Manga kale became berserk after team-fighting with the rest of u6 saiyans against freeza , seems more adult to me
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

User avatar
Miracles
I Live Here
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by Miracles » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:41 am

Just as long as the manga does not give Goku a friendship power up boost it automatically wins.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:45 am

Miracles wrote:Just as long as the manga does not give Goku a friendship power up boost it automatically wins.
It was an incredibly brief inconsequential boost. It shouldn't make or break the arc

Post Reply