Let's talk about Piccolo

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Let's talk about Piccolo

Post by emperior » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:17 am

The beloved green Namekian has always been a fan favorite character, despite him being sidelined as a top tier fighter ever since Buu arc started. Recently discussions have emerged about Piccolo's role in the upcoming movie, mainly regarding the Namekian Book of Legends which has been suggested as a mean of powering-up Piccolo ever since it was first named during the Battle of Gods arc.

I personally really like Piccolo as a character. He gave us one of the best fight in the series in the 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi, and his character arc in Dragon Ball Z is second only to Vegeta's.
I don't get why Piccolo shouldn't get a power-up to at least get in the Super Saiyan Blue realms of power. Do you remember how the Grand Elder talked about him? He was called a rare prodigy among the Namekians, and he believed only a Super Saiyan could have killed him. That's quite a big deal in the Dragon Ball world, and we also saw during Namek arc how Namekians had nothing to envy to Saiyans power-wise and even genetically, considering they have regenerative abilities.

Could Movie 20 finally be the redemption of Piccolo as a fighter, after he was reduced to mere meat shield in Super?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Re: Let's talk about Piccolo

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:21 am

I hope so, he's been sidelined for too long. The way he's been advertised and shown along characters like Goku and Vegeta (in the designs sheets) makes me hopeful for his role in this movie. I don't think it's a coincidence that they chose him out of all of the characters.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:53 am

As much as I wish Piccolo to be given more prominence by powering him up and featuring him in important solo fights, I don't count on neither Toei nor Toyotaro to give him that much importance, unless they somehow pull an Android 17.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:59 am

Torturephile wrote:I don't count on neither Toei nor Toyotaro to give him that much importance
That's up to Toriyama and his script

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:55 am

Wooooo I'm always down for a bit of Piccolo talk!

As always, I advise people to be cautiously optimistic. Him being featured so early and alongside of Goku and Vegeta might ultimately mean nothing. He is always featured quite prominently in promotional material because he is one the most recognizable characters of the franchise, but his addition always feels more like fan-service than anything else. They quite clearly don't know what to do with him, same as with Gohan.

If the new saiyan character is really from the past then there is a chance it might tie in with a Namekian related plot line. We've been told a Namekian Elder knew and sympathized with Yamoshi, so we can assume that at some point in the past, Saiyans and Namekians had interacted. The Namekian Book of Legends being mentioned at all during that Saiyan related interview might mean something. But I wouldn't hold my breath. All we know for now is that this movie will focus heavily on Saiyans so I don't see a whole lot of relevance being given to Piccolo.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:13 am

With Whis training he could master God-Ki, and by doing so he could very well become Blue-tier.
He once was 17's level, this would set him on pair again with the status he lost from Cell Games onwards.

Yes, please make him relevant again.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:15 am

How many topics do we have about this,I think people need to take a hint and realise that Piccolo has gotten to the point of no return.
Outside of Toyotaro not caring about him(or even know how to write him) or Toei using him as a drama tool and giving him a pointless death in both GT and Super.

Toriyama has stopped caring at all about him since the Buu saga,so lets ignore Toyotaro and Toei and talk about how we know Toriyama has treated him:

Buu saga turned him into a comedic character.
BOG movie was beaten by chopsticks.
ROF movie was having trouble with someone that was stated to be Zarbon/Dodoria level.
Champa arc has him having his victory taken away and Goku,Vegeta and Frost disrespecting him and pretty much telling him he sucks.
Top arc has him being beaten by a bug that could be taken out by someone with good hearing.

No hating on him or anything but its pretty clear at this point how Toriyama thinks of him,the only other character that Toriyama has gotten so much out of his way to hummiliate is Yamcha.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:29 am

Whatever wrote:How many topics do we have about this,I think people need to take a hint and realise that Piccolo has gotten to the point of no return.
As many as people want as long as they feel like talking about it? I share your pessimism on the matter for the most part, but it's still an issue I like talking about.

Two years ago fans of 17 would've been laughed out of the forums for suggesting he'd ever get even 10% of the spotlight he got in the TOP, yet here we are. Don't see anything wrong with people hoping for the same for other characters. Or at least discussing how nice it would be if he'd get a power up.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:41 am

We simply have to wait for the day when Toriyama wakes up and decides to give him good treatment like he did to 17. After what happened to 17, there is not really such a thing as 'finished'.

Maybe Piccolo will get a power up during this movie and as it is something that could easily be done with the Namekian Book of Legends. Namekian God will do for me. :)

Piccolo getting good treatment in a movie about Saiyans and stealing some spotlight is exactly what I want. 8)

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:48 am

Michsi wrote:
Whatever wrote:How many topics do we have about this,I think people need to take a hint and realise that Piccolo has gotten to the point of no return.
As many as people want as long as they feel like talking about it? I share your pessimism on the matter for the most part, but it's still an issue I like talking about.

Two years ago fans of 17 would've been laughed out of the forums for suggesting he'd ever get even 10% of the spotlight he got in the TOP, yet here we are. Don't see anything wrong with people hoping for the same for other characters. Or at least discussing how nice it would be if he'd get a power up.
Not saying there is anything wrong with this but i think Toriyama has made it clear more than enough on his stance on the character,he had many chances where he could treat Piccolo nor horrible and passed on all of them.
I am no physic or am i in Toriyama's head but like the answer to this topic is in front of us,Toriyama has made it obvious how little he cares about the character anymore.

Also 17 had the benefit of being written out while Piccolo is being treated worse and worse each time.
If by some miracle i am wrong about this in the future,i would not mind at all.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:11 am

Whatever wrote:
Michsi wrote:

Not saying there is anything wrong with this but i think Toriyama has made it clear more than enough on his stance on the character,he had many chances where he could treat Piccolo nor horrible and passed on all of them.
I am no physic or am i in Toriyama's head but like the answer to this topic is in front of us,Toriyama has made it obvious how little he cares about the character anymore.

Also 17 had the benefit of being written out while Piccolo is being treated worse and worse each time.
If by some miracle i am wrong about this in the future,i would not mind at all.
I disagree, because I don't think Toriyama particularly cares that much about any character, despite claiming he has favorites. If he comes up with a compelling story for Piccolo, I think he'll use it, but if not, he won't rack his brain to develop one.

17 being written out makes little difference since we also have Roshi as a similar example. He's been put on the bench since the Piccolo arc but he hasn't disappeared. Yet there he was, in a tournament with the universes strongest fighters and outlasting Krillin and Tenshinhan.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:03 pm

We've been asking "can (arc name) be Piccolo's redemption" since RF and we've yet to see anything even close to what we want from him so no, I don't think the movie will be, although I hope I'm wrong.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:05 pm

As much as I love Piccolo, and I do as he's in my top 5 favorite characters in Dragon Ball, I would rather they keep him as just a side character instead of them forcing him into a power tier he doesn't belong.

He's the only character in the main cast that hasn't been succumbed to Super's god awful power scaling like everybody else. Becoming beyond God levels of power by working with weights, secret training, fighting poachers, none of that crap, my man is untainted.

Just let him train with Whis and get access to God Ki to bump him up a bit, maybe around Gohan's level, but that's it. I don't want him getting stupid writing like everyone else, I still have respect for him.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:52 pm

mute_proxy wrote:
Torturephile wrote:I don't count on neither Toei nor Toyotaro to give him that much importance
That's up to Toriyama and his script
And I don't count on him and his script either.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:30 pm

Logania wrote:As much as I love Piccolo, and I do as he's in my top 5 favorite characters in Dragon Ball, I would rather they keep him as just a side character instead of them forcing him into a power tier he doesn't belong.

He's the only character in the main cast that hasn't been succumbed to Super's god awful power scaling like everybody else. Becoming beyond God levels of power by working with weights, secret training, fighting poachers, none of that crap, my man is untainted.

Just let him train with Whis and get access to God Ki to bump him up a bit, maybe around Gohan's level, but that's it. I don't want him getting stupid writing like everyone else, I still have respect for him.
I don't care about consistency anymore and I just want tonsee him in an important fight again.

He has had plenty of stupid writing moments already.
sintzu wrote:We've been asking "can (arc name) be Piccolo's redemption" since RF and we've yet to see anything even close to what we want from him so no, I don't think the movie will be, although I hope I'm wrong.
You are wrong.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:28 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:You are wrong.
In what way ? Surely you want more than what he got in the TOP or the small fight he got in Champa's tournament. I want Namek/Cell arc Piccolo where he's going head to head with the arc's main villains.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:37 pm

Piccolo has had his day. Time we embraced his role as the uncle/ Mr Reliable. Need some cabbages farmed? Piccolo is your guy!

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:42 pm

Logania wrote:As much as I love Piccolo, and I do as he's in my top 5 favorite characters in Dragon Ball, I would rather they keep him as just a side character instead of them forcing him into a power tier he doesn't belong.
I'm not sure what's typically requested from the character in these discussions myself. I personally love Piccolo, and if people are asking for flashy spotlight moments, they got plenty of that in the Universe Survival arc. His treatment in general was much better compared to the Buu arc.

Strength-wise, I don't think the guy needs to be rivaling the show's top dogs to have prominence. That could certainly be interesting if done well, but it's another one of those things that isn't exactly necessary by itself.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:46 am

sintzu wrote:
In what way ? Surely you want more than what he got in the TOP or the small fight he got in Champa's tournament. I want Namek/Cell arc Piccolo where he's going head to head with the arc's main villains.
I won't be satisfied until I get Frieza and Cell arc Piccolo back.

Everything he done in Super was just bad and not memorable and I can't believe some people are actually happy with it.
Marlowe89 wrote:
I'm not sure what's typically requested from the character in these discussions myself. I personally love Piccolo, and if people are asking for flashy spotlight moments, they got plenty of that in the Universe Survival arc. His treatment in general was much better compared to the Buu arc.

Strength-wise, I don't think the guy needs to be rivaling the show's top dogs to have prominence. That could certainly be interesting if done well, but it's another one of those things that isn't exactly necessary by itself.
We want the Piccolo that was in the Frieza and Cell arc.

He is essentially just Tien now.

The only flashy moment is the Special Beam Cannon which I havr problems with anyway. Nothing else in Suoer was memorable. Taking out the euquivelent of a Frieza soldier in the tournament is nothing special. Quality over quantity and Piccolo got very little quality.

If they are going to continue using Piccolo then he should get a power increase. Toriyama brings back a nobody like 17 but can't use one of the most established right which is just wrong.

The shit with Gohan and Pan needs to stop as that is the worst thing with him right now.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Piccolo has had his day. Time we embraced his role as the uncle/ Mr Reliable. Need some cabbages farmed? Piccolo is your guy!
He will be back. Just you wait. Too big of a character to be permanently kept down.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:27 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote:
I won't be satisfied until I get Frieza and Cell arc Piccolo back.

Everything he done in Super was just bad and not memorable and I can't believe some people are actually happy with it.

Maybe it's because people compare it with what happened with him in GT?

For what it's worth, and granted, it's not much, both in the U6 arc and TOP he didn't lose because of lack of power. It was either through cheating or a trick he failed to figure out, but he didn't get overpowered.