Something occured to me when reading journey to the west *future trunks arc spoilers*

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Something occured to me when reading journey to the west *future trunks arc spoilers*

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:44 am

Later on in the story, Sun Wukong finds out he is one of four special monkeys not related to any other kind of creature. One of these is a six eared macaque that steals his appearance and copies his powers and abilities. He is too hard to kill due to his power so the cast end up having to call in Buddha to help by trapping him and allowing the heroes to kill him.

Now I know thats not perfectly the same, but funny how someone steals the monkey kings appearance and powers and then they need to call in a divine being to take him out.

Goku Blackaque confirmed??

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Something occured to me when reading journey to the west *future trunks arc spoilers*

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:58 am

I'm fairly sure that the writing team drew upon Monkey for quite a bit of Super.
I bet Jiren was also originally supposed to be a parody of the Buddha before the sudden end of the series forced them to wrap things up more quickly than expected.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Something occured to me when reading journey to the west *future trunks arc spoilers*

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:08 pm

but funny how someone steals the monkey kings appearance and powers and then they need to call in a divine being to take him out.
To be completely fair, Goku and co. didn't need Grand Zeno to take out Goku Black. They needed Grand Zeno take out Infinite Zamasu, who was the immortal soul of Zamasu, but reduced to a twisted and malevolent entity. There was very little of the main protagonist inside of that.

Although, thinking about it, it's strange that Goku didn't use the Zeno Button when they were overwhelmed by Black's clones. Oh, Right, He forgot that he had it in his pockets because he is stupid. My bad.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:23 pm

Yuli Ban wrote:I'm fairly sure that the writing team drew upon Monkey for quite a bit of Super.
I bet Jiren was also originally supposed to be a parody of the Buddha before the sudden end of the series forced them to wrap things up more quickly than expected.
Do you think they changed his planned personality/origin story after his introduction?